[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you find out that you could go behind the white block
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11
File: d.png (431 KB, 852x658) Image search: [Google]
d.png
431 KB, 852x658
How did you find out that you could go behind the white block and get the flute?
>>
I played SMB3 on SNES. As a kid I watched my oldest bro play games a lot. A lot of what I learned comes from him. This is no exception.
>>
i didnt till many many years.

Anyways i wouldnt have used it because mario games are supposed to be beaten by playing the 8 worlds, otherwise you are a fag

Except the castle maze in World 8, fuck that shit
>>
>>2915243
I had a friend, he was the "big kid" he was 15 and all my little group of friends idolized him.

This man, Dennis the legend, showed it to us...
>>
>>2915259
The flute was a save point of sorts (I still can't believe it didn't have a battery save function), you could get 2 very early on and skip what you've already beaten.
>>
>>2915259

>castle maze in world 8

you don't know the layout by heart? it's pretty easy, all you need to know is that after you hit the P-switch you need to enter the door that's to the eastest on the screen, over a block.
>>
>>2915243
my next door neighbor
>>
File: 1452488714214.jpg (82 KB, 1280x974) Image search: [Google]
1452488714214.jpg
82 KB, 1280x974
>>2915243
older brother of course
>>
Only guide we ever owned
>>
>>2915243
My friends told me. I didn't play it until 2008 or so though.
>>
I wish I could have played Mario 3 game blind. Every time I would play, my older brothers would be like, "no no, go over here and do this thing." I knew every little secret and 1up in worlds 1 and 2 before I even saw world 4 and further.

No idea how they found out. Kids from school, I guess.
>>
Same way most everyone else did. They had heard it from someone, and tried it themselves, found it legit, and shared with anyone who played. I never met anyone back then who played SMB3 and didn't know the location of all three warp whistles, even if they didn't have the skills to reach them. It was one of those "secrets" like the Konami code, or the warp zones in SMB, iddqd, power overwhelming, that just about everyone knew back then.
>>
>>2915243
There was always a friend who knew. Ask him how.
>>
>>2915479
>all three warp whistles
...There's three?
I know OP's block and the first fortress, where's the third?
>>
>>2915769

I believe it's in World 2. You have to go to the hidden section of the map by using a hammer to break a rock.
>>
File: smb3sg.jpg (50 KB, 364x499) Image search: [Google]
smb3sg.jpg
50 KB, 364x499
>>2915243
>>
>>2915243
p sure i actually figured it out myself when i was like three. idk back then these games spark your curiosity so much and youre never too good at them so you spend a lot of playtime just exploring and experimenting with the first few levels and find all sorts of shit.

funnily enough i didn't find out you could go behind the end of the stage and find the whistle til way later. til then i just thought it was a weird glitch or something
>>
The misalignment of the pixels gave it away for me. The block seemed fake.

Since there were a lot of games where you could jump down from platforms by pressing down+jump, I tried it and it eventually worked.

The flute came from the obvious "let's try to complete the level this way" feeling.
>>
>>2915265

Dennis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbVMUe1WUw
>>
>>2915983
> The misalignment of the pixels

What are you even talking about. White blocks were pretty rare, so if you paid some attention, you'd even spend some time trying to find them in later stages, other than simply 1-3 and 1-1.
>>
File: 1452383472600.jpg (31 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
1452383472600.jpg
31 KB, 368x368
>>2916119
In retrospect, they really should have had an enemy placed around those blocks that encourages ducking for prolonged periods of time. Otherwise I doubt 99.99% of gamers would ever had find this out were it not for someone telling them or reading it somewhere.
>>
>>2916137
You'd be surprised. Back then secrets were part of video games. We were used to press the "space" key on every single wall in Doom.
As a kid I didn't have any problem finding the "secret within the secret" in the boat level of Duck Tales 2.

That and sharing secrets and tips was part of the whole thing too.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBip8Qe6Hg
>>
>>2915776
This was my bible growing up. I still have it but its so 'well loved' that its just individual pages sitting on top each other at this point. Really enjoyed the layout/art.
>>
>>2916139
Oh, I totally understand your Doom example because I've done that kind of stuff too. For instance playing the original Zelda, once you figure out you can light shit on fire, you go screen by screen finding secrets everywhere. However you are given hints about these types of interactions, be it level layout, enemy sounds, etc. so you can make the connection at least once so you can start experimenting.

The white blocks are never a mechanic explored or even hinted at in any form other than this secret, so it's really unlikely that somebody would hold down for the 3 or 5 seconds needed to fall through those few white blocks scattered throughout the game, especially when they are surrounded by other blocks of different colors that are in any other way distinguishable.

Somehow everybody and there dog eventually find out about it, and that's probably the cool thing about it. It was a simple trick that could be described in a sentence that was easy to remember and try out. Shit spread like wild-fire I bet in school cafeterias, which helped play into the culture. I just wonder how many found it themselves?
>>
My sister told me.
But I used to play this game (though SMA version) with my sister and she just knew about that stuff.
Whether she found it out herself or my brother told her, I have no idea. But I think that she found it out herself since she loved to play with the SNES.
>>
Wasn't it shown off in The Wizard?

I don't want to bother looking up the movie to confirm it.

All I remember where all these kids knew all these secrets and what they did but yet none of them have ever played SMB3 or even seen it until the tournament.
>>
Sam from across the road told me.

SMB3 is my favourite game and I just realised I never completed it. Always gave up in World8.
>>
>>2915769
In World 2, use a hammer to break the rocks in the top right corner of the map. There is a secret Toad house which I am 99% sure that it gives a frog suit no matter what and there is a Hammer Bro there. Fight the fireball Hammer Bros (the only other place to find them outside of one of the hand stages in World 8) and you'll get a whistle.
>>
I read a lot of video game magazines. Pretty sure it was on Gamesmaster as well.
>>
>>2916139
Yeah but in the classic Doom games there were no secrets that were just impossible to figure out without either looking it up or pressing space on everything. Every secret had a hint that it was there. Usually a miscolored/misaligned texture or an out-of-place decoration.
>>
Satan whispered to me to pray to him on a white altar.
>>
>>2915243
From reading /vr/ in early 2016.

Fuck. I'm going to try this tonight.
>>
>>2916536
I want to say this is where I learned the secret but can't remember the movie enough to confirm.
>>
>>2915243
My cool older bro. Who learned about it from his friends at school. Thanks cool older bro sorry I deleted your save files.
>>
>>2916536
no, the little kid only gets the fortress flute in the movie
>>
File: SMB3-FortressWhistle2.jpg (36 KB, 489x446) Image search: [Google]
SMB3-FortressWhistle2.jpg
36 KB, 489x446
>>2917028
pic related
>>
>>2916867
Sort of, there were some secrets that weren't fully apparent, and then there were secrets that were easily visible, out in the open practically, but you had to figure out how to actually get to them, as there isn't an obvious direct path to them.
>>
You guys all know Princess Toadstool gives you a letter that literally says "The white block contains mysterious power", right?
>>
>>2917052
I thought she was speaking of the items she gave you
>>
File: imagesP58R357S.jpg (8 KB, 244x180) Image search: [Google]
imagesP58R357S.jpg
8 KB, 244x180
>>2917052
>>2917056
Actually, she may be talking about those throwable bricks, because they could be used to defeat enemies.

It also follow closely the text from the Japanese version:
お元気ですか?
白いブロックは敵を蹴散らす魔法の力があるそうよ。
>>
File: $_35.jpg (24 KB, 207x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
24 KB, 207x300
>>2915243
Found out in the regional version of Nintendo Power
>>
>>2916536
Yeah, actually, it is.
>>
My older brother showed me. He's the reason I know most of what I do concerning secrets in Mario 3 and World.
>>
>>2915243
Miles Chapman and that weird indian looking kid Gage told me about it during lunch when I was in kindergarten.
>>
>>2917775
Older bros are the best.
>>
File: original.jpg (8 KB, 360x206) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
8 KB, 360x206
>>2917793
>>
>>2916173
there is no drug comparable to the rush of finding a secret out for yourself.
>hit space on every wall of doom
Oh man I did that. Shit got trickier when I found out some walls have different triggers like you have to shoot it or hit a switch elsewhere. There were so many goddamn secrets in doom i only found them all with a level editor
I found the Wallenstein level in D2 all by myself
>>
Nintendo powers spoiled every secret for me.. and I loved it.
>>
>>2915776
That image is a weird shoop of the Japanese cover.

Memory may fail many of us older /vr/others but the reason everyone knew about the White block trick is because it was a hint packaged in the original game with the NES poster.

That is, provided you didn't rip it to shreds and throw out like most kids did.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.