[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hear me out here.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 250px-Smetroidbox.jpg (25 KB, 250x174) Image search: [Google]
250px-Smetroidbox.jpg
25 KB, 250x174
Shouldn't this game be far more popular then it is? The series as well?

Just think about how revolutionary this game truly was. Think about how many no name wannabe indie developers straight up copy what this game did. Then think about how the Metroid series is oddly not nearly as popular as some of Nintendo's other big time IP's. Something is missing here. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Shouldn't this series be far bigger then it is today? Is there maybe a reason it isn't more popular even though it has been the inspiration of so many games out there? It appears that Super Metroid is more of a cult classic then a massive success like it logically should be. Same goes for the series for the most part.

What is your opinion on this revolutionary game? Does it deserve more praise? Is it overrated?

Discuss
>>
Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>2914936
Why?
>>
Cause mainstream morons can't think. I have a fucking friend that stopped playing cause he didn't know how to open red doors
>>
>>2914906
Super Metroid wasn't really revolutionary, it was evolutionary. It just did what Metroid 1 did but better in pretty much every way basically. The series however can go fuck itself since they've done nothing but run it straight into the fucking ground for ages, there's 3 good games, one mediocre game and then garbage. I'm okay with Nintendo dropping the franchise. I hope they do in fact so someone else can fill that niche with non terrible games in the same light.
>>
"Should reality be different from what it is?"

No.
>>
>>2914906
The game is pretty damn popular. People still talk about it and it tops or appears on many Greatest Game Ever lists. Maybe it doesn't get as much attention as other SNES standards like FFVI and Chrono Trigger, but I'd say it's ultimately closer to "massive success" than cult classic.

Maybe it just doesn't feel as popular because it doesn't have the same memetic potential as Mario and Zelda. You can find Goombas and mushrooms plastered on any object you can think of. Ditto with Link and the Triforce and other Zelda insignia. But the Metroid series is about being alone on a strange alien planet full of things that want to kill you. It doesn't have the same cute factor as a lot of other mega-hit franchises, and thus doesn't get as much exposure.

It would also help if there had been any good Metroid games after Prime 1.

For what it's worth, I love Super Metroid a lot. It's a very unique experience that, despite spawning a whole genre, has never really been copied.
>>
>>2915009

It's popular for core gamers. The average gamer only sees Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong.
>>
>>2915019
Exactly this guy get's it. This was essentially my point. Sure Super Metroid has extremely high critical praise, many critics and fans respect and even love it. There are many that even bandwagon it but probably never even played it.

However it is clear that the other games are far above it in popularity. I get this feeling if they ever decided to do a remake of Super that it would sell pretty well though. Game was ahead of it's time.
>>
File: 4L_1HJNeD6x.png (32 KB, 360x307) Image search: [Google]
4L_1HJNeD6x.png
32 KB, 360x307
Wow, /vr/ fucking sucks.

Hey, OP, I agree with you. I think a lot of these comments are wildly baseless.

>OP: "Hey guys, I wanna talk about something."

>/vr/: "FUCK YOU WE DONT TALK ABOUT THINGS UNLESS WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH EVERYTHING YOU OR ANYONE ELSE LIKES FUCKING SUCKS"

/vr/ has become the bastion of forty year old turbo-autistic edgelords trying to sound intelligent and above everyone else by shitting down each others' throats, because every dumb fuck here thinks they're genuinely the smartest guy in the room. And the anonymity of 4chan gives them carte blanche to just pop in little comments of "YOURE WRONG IM RIGHT BECAUSE I SAID SO KILL YOURSELF I WIN" only to be met with retorts of "NO YOU".

Because God forbid we ever fucking talk about anything or have a fucking discussion.
>>
>>2915121
no you're just retarded. calling super metroid revolutionary is retarded when its just metroid gameplay with a few tweaks. Its like calling super mario world revolutionary.
>>
>>2915121
This place is filled with the nerd equivalent of fraternity jerks.
>>
File: 4L_L2Vdw7fz.jpg (69 KB, 319x374) Image search: [Google]
4L_L2Vdw7fz.jpg
69 KB, 319x374
>>2915130
>you're just retarded

Okay, point proved. Thanks, dick.
>>
>>2915009
This. The game is insanely popular, OP.
>>
>>2915131
You had a map you bozo.

Quit getting hung up on the word "revolutionary", OP still has a legitimate question of why Super Metroid isn't as remembered as much as some other Nintendo games. He also asked if it's overrated, something that no one has attempted to answer yet.
>>
>>2915121
>/vr/ has become the bastion of forty year old turbo-autistic edgelords trying to sound intelligent and above everyone else by shitting down each others' throats

Protip: these are the 16 year olds trying to act cool and mature... us oldfags couldn't care less about internet drama.
>>
>>2915140
no problem pussy, maybe you should head back over to reddit
>>
>>2914906
OP everyone in the world who gives a shit about Metroid loves this game

The problems is that not a lot of people give a shit about Metroid
>>
>>2915140
You are retarded agreeing with the OP. how is it revolutionary? Im not saying its not a great game because its fucking amazing but its amazing because of how well executed it was not how much influence it had
>>
There's a bunch of games like that, which have tons of critical praise, and all core gamers of the era know it. But they never sold much.

>deus ex
>system shock
>thief

Just some examples.
>>
>>2915143
Maybe I should have used another word. Just think how so many games from that time, the design choices from those games aren't necessarily being used today or they are derivative, have been done numerous times before. Super Metroid was largely a first of it's kind.

It's an absolute massive improvement to Metroid to the point where it might as well be a completely different genre. At least in my opinion. I just can't get into Metroid 1. Never really got to try out Metroid 2 much but that seemed to be an improvement. Super Metroid is pretty much the beginning of the series for most people. Even today I barely ever see people play the first Metroid.
>>
>>2915260
>Metroid is a different genre from Super
Wat.

Anyway, Super Metroid is a well-paced and designed game, there's no doubt about that. But it had little impact on the industry and the gaming audience because it wasn't experimental and it wasn't universally appealing. Experimentation in art and game design and elements gets lots of press and praise, and games that are extremely appealing to all ages were what was generally accepted back then. It's the foundation of what Nintendo is, which is why we're getting cutesy art design for Federation Force.

The reason it's not more successful is because Nintendo doesn't give two fucks about Metroid, for the reasons previously mentioned. Same thing with F-Zero. They believe that, if they can't innovate on gameplay, there's no reason to create something new. Since Metroid is just a really fucking well-made game, there was no reason to continue iterating on it, or to promote it.

If Super Metroid hadn't existed, putting the series on hold, and came out nowadays, well, we'd be missing a whole subgenre of indie ripoffs and I bet Castlevania would have gone the way of Mega Man without it's influence. I also think it would be relatively well-received today.
>>
>>2915019
And the pokeymans.>>2915065
>>
The game is on just about every single Top Ten SNES Games list out there. Let's not pretend like it's some sort of overlooked gem.
>>
>>2915131
>Implying Super Metroid didn't kill the royal family and install a communist government
>>
>>2915130
>with a few tweaks
It's considerably more than just "tweaks"
>>
>>2916540
Are you a hipster? You sound like a hipster. A hipster that doesn't know what they're talking about.
>>
FPS trash killed it.
>>
>>2914906

I think you might be severely underage if you believe in any way,shape or form that Super Metroid isn't already considered on of the greatest games of all time.
>>
>>2915130
>>2915163

Nah. He doesn't have to go to reddit. Why don't you stop shitposting and actually contribute to the discussion?

Why the fuck are you even on this board?
>>
>>2919068
Yeah no.
>>
Metroid has got plenty of acknowledgement in the west, but the reason why the series was never developed to its true potential has to do with the fact that the Japanese audiences never really cared for it. It's a similar case to what happened with FFVI.

Still, if you're not into Metroid 1 and 2, you still have Zero Mission, Super, and Fusion, which are all great games on their own, and the prime series, which quite fantastic as well. It's just a shame they never made sidescrolling Metroid games with modern 3D graphics, like they did with stuff like Bionic Commando Rearmed. To me, it sounds like a natural way to push the series, and probably add a map editor or something like it.

Oh, but hey, now you also have that new Metroid 2 fan remake, called AM2R, which is looking short of amazing.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.