[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Bitching about price inflation in games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: nwc.jpg (50 KB, 586x425) Image search: [Google]
nwc.jpg
50 KB, 586x425
Anyone else stop colleting NES games because of their recent (as in over the past 5-10 years) rapid inflation?
>>
>>2911820
The opposite. I had stuff in storage I realized I never really used anymore so I took the high market prices as an opportunity to dump stuff and make room.

Really though, old video games are collector's items at this point. Prices are bound to keep going up over time, that's just the way collector's items work.
>>
>>2911820
I didn't have an NES growing up. First console was an SNES.

I generally find myself playing more PS1 onwards games. I actually don't want to collect garbage games, and the NES has those in spades.

I did just recently get a Neo-Geo MVS cabinet which is it's own kind of suffering for prices.
>>
>>2911848
>I actually don't want to collect garbage games

lol did you get lost on the way to your thread? >>2909389
>>
>>2911820
It's unfair that we all can't have contest only giveaway carts that number in the hundreds. Hopefully Bernie Sanders can fix it
>>
>>2911820
I don't collect for the nes at this time, not having one. My current plan when I start is to get an av famicom, the nes converter and flashcart. That way I can play any games (excepting fds) and collect at my leisure.

Right now the carts I am collecting are for the GB, it's cheaper and there are only a few titles that are above 20$ (US versions of MM 3-5, Kid Dracula).
>>2911848
>I actually don't want to collect garbage game
Yeah, because the cost of those ones is the problem. Good thing AAA games are staying rock bottom.
>>
>>2911856
I love how /vr/ immediately assumes when I say there were a lot of shit games on the NES the only ones I care about are the big releases.

You people are the reason we can't have nice things.
>>
No, most the good titles were popular and therefore aren't very expensive. Most the really expensive games are only collected for special snowflake status. your picture is a terrible game, the zelda test cart is just tloz with a different sticker and case, most others are rare because they were shit and didnt sell well when new. I find most games at stores or online for considerably less than a new game and it wont be worth 10% of its purchase price as soon as you take it home.
>>
>>2911856
Why not just RGB mod a NES 2?
>>
File: fishing8276-gfs_5.jpg (28 KB, 322x290) Image search: [Google]
fishing8276-gfs_5.jpg
28 KB, 322x290
>>2911865
You went out of your way to say you think the NES has spades of garbage games and then get shocked when people respond? You go fishing here a lot?
>>
>>2911856
You can play FDS using flashcarts, but it will sound shit for games that uses the extra sound channel (actually not that many, but many of the heavy-hitters), just saying.
>>
>>2911894
Does emulation work with the extra sound channel?
>>
>>2911883
I'm not very handy..
>>2911894
Neat, but are there any fds games that offer a viable improvement in content/presentation. I know there are some differences, like say for example Metroid having a save option
>>2911865
>I don't collect NES
Then why did you post anyway? I was just stating that the games that have gotten a noticable markup are the ones people want to buy, not the shit ones. Not every collector is a sperg who needs a complete library. I'm sure you don't collect shitty PS1 games, and the library had them in SPADES.
>>
>>2911820
You know that Nintendo World Championships is a special case right? Only about 100 of those carts exist.

Most of the expensive NES games are mediocre games that only collectors have ever heard of. If all you want is a NES with Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, you can buy that for a lot cheaper than it would have cost you in the '80s.
>>
>>2911898
FDS sound sorta "OK" or more like acceptable but way not perfect when emulating, but games with special chips like Gimmick still suck very hard on emulation.
>>
>>2911921
But I deserve to get the games for 98% off of MSRP because REASONS and MUH NOSTALGIA
>>
>>2911894
>>2911927
Doesn't it depend if you use a Famicom or a NES?
>>
File: 1446330583216.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446330583216.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>any remotely popular SNES game is now $80+

I fucking hate what the rise of "nerd culture" has done to the price of retro Nintendo games, luckily SEGA shit isn't really affected
>>
>>2911948
They're still cheaper than what they cost new. I remember paying 120 back then for fucking street fighter. And I think 90 for some spider man game on the genesis. Even sports games cost at least 50.
>>
>>2911948
be thankful you don't live in the UK where SNES games were going for around that price mark before the popularity spike
thank christ for SD2SNES
>>
>>2911948
>any remotely popular SNES game is now $80+

If you want it complete with box and manual, yeah. If you just want the cart, go on eBay and be patient with your auctions, you can often score games in the $50-$60 range.
>>
>>2911948
>It was so much better when I was a special snowflake for being a nerd!
>>
I use to collect NES stuff, but over the last year I've moved more to Sega and Playstation stuff.

For one, I already have every game I originally wanted for NES, (Contras, Marios, Castlevanias etc) and with the rise of prices it makes me want to not do so any more. Hell, where I live people post on Kijiji, selling there hoarded copies of Nintendo games, wanting ridiculous prices. No seriously there's a guy on Hamilton Kijiji who hoards this shit like crazy... dozens of Smash Bros, Mario KArts, Zeldas, and he's asking insane prices on all of them. Doesn't help too that the guys a fucking dick. Nintendo stuff in general is getting butt raped to say the least. That's why I've moved to playstation and sega: nobody (or not as many people) are really paying attention to them so I'm getting good deals and adding good games to my collection, because lots of other people are going MUH NINTENDOS. I can't wait in 5-10 years from now when they all start moving to Sega/PS1/PS2 and I will already have all the popular/sought after games.
>>
>>2911972
I dunno if Sega will ever experience the price inflation. I have a feeling PS1 and PS2 will though. Grab those $5 PS2 bargain bin bundles while you can.
>>
>>2911972
>Hamilton
Ontario? When I used to collect I remember some real dick bags in this city.
>>
>>2911979
Why not Sega?
>>
>>2911948
>he's mad that the games are cheaper now than when released
>>
>>2911979
PS1/PS2 will for sure have a rise, people will get nostalgic for it or they will move to those after collecting other systems. Ie, someone coming off of collecting N64 might laterally move to the PS1; same era, similar games/technology.

Sega's a bit harder to say, they don't make consoles anymore, so in a way there not really on everyone's mind. I think Genesis will, though it already kind of is, rising, it's arguably Sega's most well known system and has many classics on it that people will want to collect. Saturn, Dreamcast, not so much I don't think. They both have good games, but generally that stuff is harder to come by (especially Saturn), but that's just what I think.
>>
>>2911986
Yes, Hamilton Ontario. Some real sleazeballs like to try and sell games in that city. Whatever you do, don't buy from the greasy scalpers and hoarders there.
>>
I just bought river city ransom for $35, adjusted for inflation that is $18.79 on par or cheaper than it would have been before snes came out for a bare cart
>>
>>2912002
Well it does work out pretty well on occasion I'm this guy >>2911839 and probably got as good a price as I did because the guy buying from me thought he could jack the prices even higher.

The funny thing is, in the late 90's to early 00's the pawnshops down town were actually really good. Way better prices than Toronto and a tons of stuff, that's where I did a lot of my collecting back when I was into it.
>>
>>2911952
>this meme excuse
>games then were loose carts too
>>
>>2912014
Huh, I see. There always will be a guy who thinks he can jack the price up more and more, which is true for some games. But I think at some point prices will stabilize more as interest dwindles or people start to think if what they are paying is really worth it. I wonder what that guy you sold is too is doing with it now though, haha. I would have loved to collect in the 90's early 00's, it sounds like a utopia in collecting.
>>
>>2911961
>If you just want the cart, go on eBay and be patient with your auctions, you can often score games in the $50-$60 range.

Yeay, great fucking difference, what a deal, you used to get them for like $12 before shillbidders and hipster bidwars became a thing.
>>
>>2912014
So collect the stuff they're literally giving away (like they were when NES and SNES weren't popular)
>>
>>2912035
I think they will stabilize to a degree but always slowly go up with inflation. Old carts are finite in number, but more and more people get into collecting.

>>2912042
This really is the time to start picking up PS1/PS2, Gamecube and Xbox stuff. A couple generations back always seems the cheapest when it's neither current nor really retro and there's tons of stuff around. Once it begins to dry up, prices start going up.

I'm totally off collecting now though, I still have a few portables but got rid of almost everything. Even with new games I buy them digitally any time I can. These days I just want the games, not all the stuff that goes with them.
>>
>>2912054
I think the ship has sailed for some of Gamecube and some PS1 rares, the other stuff you're prob right about
>>
>>2912040
I'm sorry that other people want the same limited-supply luxury items as you and are willing to pay higher prices for them.

There's always emulation.
>>
I actually stopped collecting carts for the most part, and only buy hardware. The only further purchases I make are for mods or flashcarts so that I can download and burn any game I want but still play on real hardware. For a while I was worried that this change in behavior would cheapen the value of games for me, as it often did for emulators. On the contrary, I don't really feel like I have an inability to choose and stick to one game at a time. it's really handy to have every game on a console easily available, and the ability to run some romhacks or translations only sweetens the deal. I paid 100 bucks for an N64 flash cart. Expensive, but that's less than I would pay for just a few of the more expensive games on the system. With how this turned out, I'm excited to go and get a genesis model too, though I'll probably start with a chinadrive because it's easier to afford. Either way I think they're swell, and recommend them to anyone who wants to enjoy the real hardware but hates dealing with bubble prices.
>>
>>2912081
Yeah you're probably right, and I haven't been paying close attention. Popularity comes into it a lot, I think Gamecube never being a smash hit will mean it's prices go up faster. The period where Saturn stuff was actually cheap was very brief.
>>
>>2912081
Gamecube for sure has already sailed, it's almost as big as N64 if not bigger. PS1 is gaining steam but I've still found some of my rare Ps1 games for good prices. At this point stuff like Tron Bonne, Suikoden II, Klonoa are staying high but I really think that Ps1 is still possible to collect for at a reasonable price.
>>
>>2912031
You must be young, most kids didnt save the flimsy carboard boxes the games came in.

most were, some had the instructions strapped to them with a rubber band, ggod shops would use those clear plastic cases or at least the little dust cap for the bottom
>>
>>2912101
they were meant to be thrown out, collect ephemera in general
>>
>>2911993
I wasn't basing that off of any objective facts, I just don't really like the Genesis. I dunno how others feel about the console.

Contrary to my initial claim, some Saturn and Dreamcast games already go for pretty high prices.
>>
>>2912112
I think Dreamcast is still pretty cheap, Saturn is insanely priced. If RHEA doesn't get higher availability I will actually accept the argument of people bitching about Saturn prices as there are no good options for it, unlike N64 bitching which is just poorfags complaining because they don't have a time machine to buy games in for about a 3 year window
>>
>>2912101
Heck, even today I see kids throw away or destroy the cases that DS games come in. I guess no one but us obsessives who saw what they could be worth years later are up on the upkeep.
>>
>>2912123
That's reprehensible, much like throwing out Genesis cases is/was. We literally didn't know any better at the time and storing your games in boxes for N64, SNES and NES if you played them a lot was retarded. Plus the boxes were made like shit, they were made to be thrown out
>>
>>2912130
>>2912123
I always threw out my boxes. Kept all my games in one box. Only even kept the manual if I really needed it and then always got rid of it eventually. Never planned to sell my stuff though.
>>
>>2912118
>Saturn is insanely priced

That's kind of just a meme. The most expensive (English NTSC) Saturn game is Panzer Dragoon Saga, and then there's a pretty sharp drop off in price. When I first heard that Saturn games were expensive I excitedly checked the value of my 7 Saturn games from when I was a kid (all CiB), and they only go for about $40-$50 each. I'd say the SNES is more expensive on average.
>>
>>2912123
you must have been older or that one kid that nobody liked playing with because you were so uptight about your toys. I didn't view my playthings as a financial investment at 10yrs old.

>>2912136
me too got new game literally tore the paper thin box open, popped in the cart and read the instructions if I hadn't played it before. instructions usually got lost over the years.

randomly I have cib tloz classics ed (older sisters) and MM collectors ed. (first game I bought with my first real job) both boxes are beat to shit and taped up though
>>
>>2912169
Not that guy, but I saved every game box and manual I owned all the way from early childhood. I was always extremely uptight about my toys and everything, always paranoid to let people even touch my things. Still am, I have three 3DSs and it was pretty hard to lend one to my friend.

Unfortunately I didn't have a SNES as a kid, so I couldn't invest in any SNES boxes...
>>
>>2912176
my friend was like that, used to suffer through it because his dad was well off and they had a "tiemff" genny with sega tv, which I thought was the coolest.

his mom was also good looking and would sunbathe in a small 2 piece. forgot that I was a perv even back then.
>>
I haven't stopped, but I have slowed down my collecting of old vidya.

I have most of what I'd ever want. I still kick myself for not getting certain games when I had the chance, but that's the way it goes.
>>
>>2912136
Same, my bro and I threw out plenty of boxes. We rarely even kept the manuals. As if we needed that chump helper info or that stupid flimsy box for a simple game like mario RPG.

It's easier just to not think about how expensive the box we threw asway is now.
>>
>>2912169
No, I was just as bad. Just pointing out that nothing has changed.
>>
>>2912198
Same here. I only collect for consoles I actually owned as a kid except for the NES. A friend of mine has a NES ever drive and it holds just about every single game ever released. I might just do that for NES games.
>>
>>2912205
the fact that a paper thin wood mush box and a throw away pamphlet would make all the difference was lost on me too. I kick myself everytime I think about tossing the box. losing all the swag, destroying the guide with a koolaid mishap and using the stickers to earthbound. at least the cart still works
>>
>>2912138
Shining Force, Dragoon Saga, Albert Odyssey, there's a few more
>>
>>2912176
I saved my cartridge game boxes and manuals too but I never stored my games in the box. Even I thought that was stupid. What I did was I just stored my games in this plastic box and out the actual game boxes with the manual away in this other plastic box I had in my closet. That way I could just easily play my games and my game boxes were preserved. I may have been a little older than usual though, I got my N64 when I was around 10 years old and was always careful about my stuff growing up.
>>
>>2912245
Saturn don't know bout dem Sega CD prices.

Of course it's easy to burn those soooooo
>>
>>2912252
Most Sega CD is cheap
>>
>>2912357
Yeah, the shit games are cheap. Anything actually worthwhile is expensive as hell.
>>
>>2912363
So it has the Saturn's problem except it's a more shit system in general
>>
>>2912368
Exactly. It's a nifty concept and all, but Sega CD just doesn't have the library to justify me getting one.
>>
>>2912138
40-50 bucks per game is pretty expensive.
>>
>>2911894
You can also get a RAM adapter and the FDS Stick. The RAM adapter will load the disk data from the Stick instead of the disk drive, so outside of the physical experience of disk flipping and hearing the drive, it is presumably identical to playing from the disk (I say presumably since I've yet to try it myself, but there is no reason to believe it'd be any different at all).
>>
>>2911820
Nah still collecting and enjoying myself.
>>
>>2912447
(I believe it can also be used to backup and rewrite disks, which can be nice if you are doing a homebrew release or have a prototype to dump)
>>
>>2911820
I collect GB/GBC/GBA games because I was a poor ass kid and only had a gameboy, hence nostalgia.

Gameboy games are still cheap as chips even on ebay except for some mint condition sealed madness.

The only systems with hyper inflated prices are NES/SNES. Some N64 games are, but gamecube and wii are fine. I blame hipsters.
>>
I don't understand collecting NES games. Snes is far surperior in almost every way.
>>
I just started collecting SNES stuff last month. Shit is fucking expensive. Im trying to get CIB stuff but have to pay out the ass for it. And this is simply stuff that I USED to own. I can't imagine actually trying to collect the entire SNES linear. What with paying $1000 for my not even good condition earthbound (I'm already planning on spending $1200 for a much better condition one next month), and paying $300 for ogre battle, and another $300 for ff3 and secret of mana (for both, all boxed) It's ridiculous. Chrono is going to run me another $250 most likely, probably more.

Tell me how any normal person is supposed to afford this crap. Seriously. I'm just lucky I have free rent and no car, no gf, and tons of free time to work and not that many bills and too much free cash to spend

I should just save more money for a down payment on a house or something. Something about super Nintendo games triggers my autism however.
>>
>>2912495
A normal person is fine with just buying loose carts.
>>
Got a flash cart about a year ago, and haven't bought an NES or FC cart since. Ditto for GBC and Atari 2600.
>>
>>2912495
I'm not saying it's bad to want games CIB, and it's not bad if you want them CIB, but man, it's just that buying SNES games (especially the RPG's) complete is going to kill your wallet. It's good you at least have a job with cash to spend.
>>
>>2911851
He never said "the NES has no good games", nor did the OP of that thread.
He merely stated the NES library has a lot of shit in it, which it objectively does.

>>2911852
Kek

>>2911892
But it fucking does! I grew up with a NES and I love it, but for every good NES game there were 9 really banal and uninteresting ones, and one terrible game.

The NES has a great library but like half of it isn't worth most people's time.
>>
>>2912475
>except for some mint condition sealed madness.

What do you expect from an acrylic-boxed 85+ VGA graded RARE!!!! game?
>>
>>2912495
>$1000 for my not even good condition Earthbound

Er... you kinda got ripped off dude. I bought mine in average condition for $770. I've been watching Earthbound CiB on eBay for a little while and they never go for too far above $800. Maaaaybe one in perfect condition would go for $1000, but I don't think I would pay that. You see retards putting up their "SUPER MINTY VGA 90++" copies up for ridiculous $1000+ BiN prices, but no one ever buys those. (I think some people bought "sealed" Earthbound's for thousands of dollars once upon a time, but I'm pretty sure they were just getting scammed, as Earthbound was never factory sealed).

I understand wanting to trade up for a box in better condition though. Hopefully you'll sell your current Earthbound before buying a new one?
>>
>>2912495
BTW if you're going to drop this kind of cash on game collecting, it would probably be smarter to save up for a really top-tier game, assuming there is such a game that you want, rather than making a bunch of medium sized purchases. The rarer items are more likely to hold and increase their price, so if you ever need to get your money back, you'll have a better chance of doing so. It's possible that not-rare-but-in-demand SNES titles like FFIII are going through a bubble that will pop.
>>
>>2912571
Why does every seller on eBay type like a retard with ALL CAPS and lots of !!!! ? Even the reputable sellers. I'd enjoy the experience so much more if people had a professional presentation.
>>
>>2912578
Well I'm Canadian for one. Buying it on eBay isn't really an option for me rights now since our dollar is such a joke. I'm planning on selling my current earthbound when I can for a bit more then I paid for it. And use the money to get other games. >>2912586
Well what's rare aside from earthbound and ogre battle? And the thing is, I only want the games I used to own.
>>
>>2911820
Fucking neck beard ass wipes that never grew up are responsible for this fucking inflation in gaming. I am a uni student trying to get by though i wouldn't consider myself a poorfag by any means, either way, old NES games (especially ones that are actually quite common and popular) are sold at near retail price by these autistic faggots for the sake of muh nostalgia. I have a decent nes library but as soon as I saw NES games being sold for 30 dollars used at a flea market was when I said fuck it and started emulating.
>>
>>2912636
If you're in Uni theres no fucking way you had an NES as your first console.

Hell, if you're in Uni now your first console may very well have been a PS2 or an Xbox, hell even a 360.
>>
>>2912586
Funny you say that about FFIII, in my several years of collecting, hitting up stores, conventions, flea markets, I have seen more CIB FFIIIs then I have Earthbounds, Chrono Triggers, Secret of Manas etc. Some of the RPG's like FF especially, are more common than people make them out to be.
>>
>>2912636
you're underage b& that thinks that you deserve games for 5 bucks apiece cuz MUH HOBBY

glad you're emulating :3
>>
>>2912495
My personal advice?
Go for the loose cart and make custom boxes.
I collect cib but I'm into Dreamcast which is a cd-based console so nobody threw their cases away. However, I also spend some of my free time designing game covers for games that weren't out in my region. In your case it makes even more sense to make your own boxes since it's pretty hard to find them, let alone ones in actual good shape.
>>
>>2912650
2bh I really don't think most games are worth more than 5 bucks.
>>
>>2912641
I'm 21 and my first console experience was with my friends N64 playing Brawl.
>>
I rebuilt my game collection about 2009. Within 2 years the prices were spiking so horribly that one of my friends gave up on trying to rebuild his.

If I rebuilt my collection today I'd spend at least 4x what I did back then. Most of the stuff I bought for less than $10. Very very few games were more than $20. Final Fight 3 was always expensive, so that was the real kicker.

But now, no way man.

We have a play n trade that sells games like OOT and mario kart 64 for $50 to $60 and people pay it. It's ludicrous.
>>
>>2912679
I dont even check my local craigslist anymore.

I only do about once every 3 days for arcade machines, but it's usually the same ones up.

If a guys asking ebay prices, I'm going on ebay. At least eBay as buyer protection, which you won't get on craigslist.
>>
>>2912641
>>2912650
I was born in 1986 so maybe I am underage compared to some of you guys. Nevertheless, I did have relatives with a NES before I started gaming/and therefore, it was the first console i played before I finally got a snes. Either way, the NES games used to be really cheap and I was able to build a decent collection early on. Also I flunked out of college a while back and started all over once I joined the army for muh benefits so there is that excuse too.
>>
>>2912687
I tried hunting craiglist for this stuff back in 2009 and aside from one guy who was liquidating part of an amazing collection of game hardware and accessories, everything else was crap.

I'm all for supporting local shops, though, but not if you are marking stuff up like crazy.

It sucks as beyond that play n trade, the next closes retro games anything I can go to that isn't a den of crazy christian recruitment (really weird) is about an hour away.

I wish I could have bought more back in 2009.
>>
>>2912663
they make repop boxes for tons of things too. got an oot box to replace one my kiddo got a hold of.
>>
>>2912701
I wish I never got rid of a lot of my stuff too.

I went through a phase where I literally said I can just emulate all this and hocked it or gave it away.

I managed to get it all back (and more) but it cost me a big chunk of my savings to do so. I don't regret it, because I can probably sell it back for basically what I paid for it since it was mostly done through auctions from 2012 to now.
>>
>after living expenses and savings not much money for /vr/
>have to choose between one complete boxed game or several loose carts

I mean that shit like boxes and manuals doesn't have any effect on the gameplay but damn if I'm going to get into something as autismal as collecting I should at least do it right, and I hate having just loose cartridges lying around.
>>
>>2912742
So get Universal Game cases.

You can get them for like 3.50 each from custom game cases dot com.

Thats way better then paying fucking like 50 bucks for a box and manual.

Who am I to talk though. I just paid like 20 bucks for a Front mission 4 and Drakengard 2 manual to complete them.
>>
>>2912742
see
>>2912720
you can order repop or customcases, manuals or get them printed at kinkos on gloss paper from scans and cut fold and staple them yourself. not the same as original but for display purposes will be fine. I dont have a lot to spend either so this is what I've been doing.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DangerousGames
http://www.boxmygames.com/
https://www.retrogamecases.com/
http://www.uncletusk.com/

watch auctions and you can grab some deals and make or purchase the rest
>>
My general principle is to only buy games for systems that I've already had lots of games for since childhood. What I'm not going to do, however, is buy a console and then start buying games and building a library from scratch. For those sorts of situations, I'm just buying an everdrive or modchip.

Let's take my genesis, for example. Had it since I was a kid. Never sold any games. Have a sizable amount of vidya for it. I'll actually pick up a cart or two every once in the while for the system, since I already have a decent base to work off of. I'm just supplementing the collection of games I've always owned with a couple extra ones. Same goes with my N64. I've owned most of the major N64 games since I was a kid. So all I did was buy a few extra games that I didn't originally have, like banjo kazooie and zelda. There was no way I would have bought all those N64 games I already happened to have if I needed to buy them at today's prices.

Later on, I bought a SNES (or super famicom to be specific). I've never owned a SNES before and have no SNES games. There was no way I was going to go around buying all the big-name SNES games. It would be too wasteful. In this situation, I bought an everdrive and then a select few games that aren't compatible (ie, jap versions of yoshi's island and starfox).
>>
>>2912634
>Canadian
Ah, ok.

>What's rare besides Earthbound and Ogre Battle
Just on the SNES? The competition versions of Star Fox and Donkey Kong Country are valuable. For all consoles? You have lots of options. But if you literally only want games you used to own, you can disregard all that.
>>
>>2912765
good job shitting up things for future collectors with your counterfeit bullshit
>>
>>2912649
Well you would definitely expect to see more FFIII boxes than Earthbound boxes; even Earthbound boxes aren't as uncommon as people make them out to be, but they are more uncommon than a lot of other SNES boxes.

Dunno what the value of CT and SoM boxes are, I'd assume they're around FFIII level.
>>
>>2912768
>tfw want a PC-Engine so I can play Dragon Knight
>>
>>2912773
I wouldn't sell them as cib if I ever sold them douche, I'd be forthcoming that the boxes are repop and I made most the manuals at home. fuck you
>>
>>2912773
Yeah, I don't see why anyone would ever want a repro anything, and I get kind of frustrated at the people who do. There's nothing illegitimate about making a repro for your personal use, but some of those items will inevitably end up in circulation, either through an honest mistake or I'll intent.
>>
>>2912802
That's why I buy bare and make or buy the rest. I worry that some of the cib on fleabay are faked already. fite me
>>
>>2912829
There are fakes on eBay that are very easy to spot, they just look obviously different than the real thing (typically the seller will have the word "repro" buried at the end of the item description). I scrutinized the CiB Earthbound I bought as closely as possible, both the cart and the box (I assume no one would go to the trouble of faking the guidebook), and everything checked out, although I didn't open the cart to look inside.
>>
>>2912495
>What with paying $1000 for my not even good condition earthbound (I'm already planning on spending $1200 for a much better condition one next month),
Whoever you're buying games from is screwing you hard, Earthbound goes somewhere between $100 to $200 at the most.

Jesus, you could buy a big stack of Earthbound carts for $1200
Man, I could never justify spending that much when I could get it on VC or a flashcart for a fraction of that, I could buy a really nice Bulgarian AK for that kind of cash.

I don't think you'll be able to get that cash back either, few people will pay that much for one.

>>2912578
You're also getting screwed.

God, who the fuck is charging so much for EB? It's been expensive but not THAT expensive, the only way I could see it breaking $150 is if it came with the box and guide in good condition.
>>
>>2911820
>ITT: Bitching about being a poorfag
>Anyone else stop colleting NES games because their mom didn't adjust allowance for inflation?
>>
>>2912868
I paid $12 for a sealed copy of earthbound with the players guide.
>>
>>2912868
You understand that we're both talking about getting it with the box and guide, right?

The guy who spent $1000 clarified that was CAD not USD.

You couldn't find anyone knowledgeable selling Earthbound CiB for less than $600 right now, and over $800 is not uncommon.
>>
>>2912636
>I saw NES games being sold for 30 dollars used at a flea market
That's not really that bad.

Contra has remained at around 30USD for a long while, there's lots of them, but it's also a really liked game, so supply is pretty level with demand. It's still cheaper than it was new.

If you want a good game that's cheap, there's always Super Mario Bros. which you could probably find for 10USD or less, because there's so goddamn many of them.

Hell, if you have a 3DS or a WiiU the VC titles rarely go far beyond 5USD so that's a hell of a steal, I think Super Mario Bros. 3 went for like 3USD on the 3DS, pocket change to have such a great game, in your pocket.
It's a shame they don't sell SNES games for the 3DS, because I would be all over that.

But emulation is free, so there's that. Wouldn't want to emulate console games without some sort of gamepad though.
I mean, you can beat Super Metroid using your keyboard, I've done that, but platformers and shit are just superior with a gamepad.

>>2912641
I'm born 92 and grew up with a NES. We never had a SNES (thank god for emulators).
>>
>>2912675
are you dumb nigger brawl came out on the wii
inb4 i meant super smash bros you dumb nigger.
>>
File: 1426892999460.png (66 KB, 775x821) Image search: [Google]
1426892999460.png
66 KB, 775x821
>the bottom fell out on a lot of PS1 games
>was able to run out of a store with Parasite Eve, FF Tactics, and Vargrant Story for $50 while shit like Final Fantasy 3 on the SNES runs for $60 in the same location
>>
I'm gonna sell off a ton of my games soon. Huge ass gameboy collection.
>>
>>2912670
That's silly, games are worth what people are willing to pay

welcome to economics
>>
>>2912798
>>2912802
they're going to end up in circulation when your faggot ass dies and your mom sells all your shit at a garage sale
>>
>>2912919
>run out of a store
>pic of white guy
ur doing it wrong
>>
>>2912925
Post it in the /bst/ I'm sure people would be interested.
>>
>>2913048
>pic of a Wight guy

FTFY
>>
>>2912892
Jesus, really? I have never heard of anyone paying that much for Earthbound before, the numbers I see commonly quoted are in that $150 range, why does the box and guide command such a premium? I thought the guide came with every game.

I could see maybe the box giving you some more, as people rarely kept those, but the guide had clear practical value which people would be much more interested in keeping.

That's just so insane though, when did it start going for that much CiB?
>>
>>2912894

>If you want a good game that's cheap, there's always Super Mario Bros. which you could probably find for 10USD or less, because there's so goddamn many of them.

I used to work at a Game Crazy back before Hollywood Video imploded, back around 2003 when I started we had so many copies of SMB and SMB/Duck Hunt that they were priced at literally $1 and we still couldn't sell them.

Then the hipster revolution happened, and all of a sudden the NES was the "cool" console to own, so prices skyrocketed.

It's disgusting.
>>
I have a decent SNES collection and stopped buying around 2011.
I have a moderate NES collection and again stopped in 2011.
My N64 collection is tiny. Bought a few in 2013.

I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games. But she did allow me to buy flashcarts.
Seeing the prices of games today, I thank her for that decision every time I get a new flashcart. I now have all three. SD2SNES was this last Christmas.
Hipsters and the AVGN have made it cool all over again. I would hate them for that, but my flashcarts make me immune to the bullshit prices for games.

Now hardware is a whole different story… can't get away with anything on that front. I don't ever see the hipster coolness of old vidya going away. It's permanently here to stay.
Nuclear apocalypse will be the only thing that destroys hipsters. But our vidya would also die with us.
>>
File: 20.jpg (20 KB, 300x340) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
20 KB, 300x340
>>2913283
>I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games.

I recommend a Retron5
>>
>>2913283
>tfw you're free to buy what you want
>these cucks justify not being able to buy things that make them happy because of a over 20lbs of pussy and ass
>>
>falling for the retro jew
>not just pirating everything with flashcarts and burned discs
>>
>>2913283
You better be incredibly broke financially, or have the worst prowess imaginable in money matters to have someone tell you how to use your funds. There is no feasible reason to have someone who can't at the least respect your passion, if not share it.
>>
>>2913283

>letting your gf control you

You're a real man ain'tcha.
>>
File: yeah.gif (226 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
yeah.gif
226 KB, 200x200
>>2913287

This. I'm sure that posters girlfriend will absolutely love it.
>>
File: retron5.jpg (17 KB, 530x292) Image search: [Google]
retron5.jpg
17 KB, 530x292
>>2913283
>I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games. But she did allow me to buy flashcarts.

I've got this neat piece of hardware for your problem.
She'll enjoy it even more after you marry her, the black version is a fan favorite too.
>>
>>2913104
You thought you could get a complete Earthbound for $150? That hasn't been true for years. My friend paid $60 for just the cart six years ago, and the CiB price has always been significantly higher than the cart price.

You can check out pricecharting.com to see what people have been paying recently. Don't take their numbers as gospel though, they don't include every auction (there were 2 complete Earthbounds that went for over $800 in the last few days that don't appear on their Earthbound listing), and sometimes they just factor blatantly incorrect auctions into their price calculations, like people selling repros or the Japanese copy or something.

The guidebook is the least expensive part of the package, usually going for around $100, while the box is the most expensive part. You'd think more people would have kept the box, because it is a pretty nice looking (and big) box that's sturdier than your average SNES box, but a lot of people either lost them or threw them out, and the game wasn't a huge seller to begin with. It's also pretty rare to see the box for sale by itself (note that a complete Earthbound is not particularly rare though, you can always find 3 - 4 up on eBay at any given time), so sellers who are selling a complete set feel justified in marking up the price a bit because it's pretty much the only way to get a box.
>>
>>2913104
>why does the box and guide command such a premium?

Think of how much the cart alone is selling for, then add the fact that most owners threw everything away.
>>
>>2912563
>But it fucking does! I grew up with a NES and I love it, but for every good NES game there were 9 really banal and uninteresting ones, and one terrible game.

I agree, but that's how I've felt about every console that's ever come out. It's always mostly either middling or poor games with a few gems.
>>
>>2913547
retrons can't read flashcarts
>>
>>2913885
Maybe that's why my retro shop sells clone consoles. I heard the shop owner shilling them once and felt a chill down my spine. I hate his prices but sometimes he has good deals.
>>
>>2914054
They sell clone consoles because they get better margins and steady supply of them
>>
>>2914058
>better margins
This guy marks the fuck up out of games sml was 20$. A 5-8 dollar with 110% mark up. I can't imagine what he sells consoles for.
>>
>>2914090
SML? Did you mean SMW?
>>
>>2914092
No super mario land.
>>
>>2911820
I bought flashcarts because it was the cheapest option that still let me use original hardware.
>>
>>2911996

None of the CD systems will ever be collectible. Carts last and can't be copied by a pc.
>>
>>2914135
This is why I'm nervous about buying the pricier CD games. Not only are disc-based consoles more likely to fail, but a lot of those CDs may not work in 20-30 years due to disc rot. When I die, I want to be able to pass my collection onto my kids and have everything be in good working order.
>>
>>2913123
Honestly, if people are enjoying an old classic like that for what it is, I think that's good, even if they're douches.
How much did the price inflate? I wouldn't price SMB or SMB/DH above 10USD personally.

>>2913283
>I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games.
She hates games more than she loves you.

I mean, I'm not arguing that flashcarts aren't a better investment if all you wanna do is play games, but;
>obligatory whip noises

>>2913497
This, anon's GF doesn't really respect him as an equal, or even an adult. Shit GF.

>>2912375
It has a larger library and better ratio of good/shit than the 32X, plus, no copy protection.
>>
Try Atari stuff instead. The prices have really collapsed on 2600 stuff, and you can get shrink wrapped titles new for peanuts. None of the price bubble bullshit on 2600/5200/7800 games, and it's collecting like it should be.

The lack of hype for 2nd gen Atari is great, in fact the more trash talk it gets the better for collecting.
>>
>>2912118
>If RHEA doesn't get higher availability I will actually accept the argument of people bitching about Saturn prices as there are no good options for it

Mod chips, pseudo saturn, swap trick.
>>
>>2912641

>everyone has to go to university as soon as they finish high school
>>
File: 197027.jpg (30 KB, 225x242) Image search: [Google]
197027.jpg
30 KB, 225x242
>>2913541
>>2913287
>He's mated with a girl, quick let's laugh at him!
>>
File: Hamilton-Ontario.gif (131 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Hamilton-Ontario.gif
131 KB, 500x500
>>2911972
Hamilton? Share your stories about Joey from Kijiji and his insane rambling ads that would try to justify his prices by saying he's educating buyers and how he will ignore lowballers.
>>
>>2914135
The single most retarded post I've read today.
>>
>>2914713
You've dealt with him too? I've never bought anything from him, and I never will, but I've exchanged e-mails with him before. Well, where do I even begin. First, I should state that, he's apparently "cheaper than the stores", though he charges $50 for a Luigi's Mansion with no manual and I've picked it up for $30 (Complete) at a store. Or how he sells Smash Melee for $80 and I picked one up for $64 (again, Complete) total from JC Retail. But supposedly he's cheaper. Or how he claims that "the stores don't even have these games". Yes, because no store in the city is going to have fucking Spongebob on Gamecube. Or how they apparently won't have any copies of Golf on NES. The best is he calls himself a "collector" yet he feels the need to have 12 fucking copies of Wind Waker. Or he claims Gamecube controllers for Wii U are very rare and hard to find, yet any Walmart, Best Buy or EB Games in the city will have tons of them available. And he has a goddamn mountain of them sitting in his shithole of a house. What a fucking moron.

I can't claim that this is true, but I've heard rumors from people he will buy popular games FROM VIDEO GAME STORES and sell them from his crackden. If it's true that's fucking disgusting. Yes, the stores don't have Smash cause you bought all them fucker. Sounds like a pretty scumfuck move.

To anyone who's in the Hamilton area and is reading this: no matter what you do, don't deal with him. Don't buy anything from him. Even if it's something you truly want, I'm very positive you can find it somewhere else for a better price. He's not a collector. He's not even a gamer. He's a scalper, a hoarder. And a dirty, cheating sleazeball at that. Don't give that fuckwad your money. Make sure that prick loses money. Fuck him. Joey, if you're reading this, fuck you piece of shit.

whew rant over!
You got anything fellow Hamiltonian?
>>
>>2911948
>luckily SEGA shit isn't really affected

You must not have seen Saturn or Dreamcast games.
>>
>>2914773
Dreamcast is just as easy to modchip as a fucking PS1.

I would think that probably some absurdly high number of DC are chipped already, maybe even as high as 50%.
>>
>>2914787
You don't need to modchip Dreamcast at all unless you want to play JP games on an American console.

>>2914773
Dreamcast games are dirt cheap except for Capcom games. Literally the cheapest console to collect for unless you're into fighting games.
>>
>>2914764
I already knew to avoid him but he had something I thought I could swing a deal for. He flip flopped back and forth a few times for like a week until I just got fed up and told him to cut the crap to which he replied "you call it like it is, I respect that. we've got a deal". Never again, Anons.
>>
>>2914819
BTW, hot tip that New2You is moving from Upper Wentworth to Main Street East near Wellington I believe. They often have some decent stuff but that may have been due to their being the only big pawn shop on the escarpment. So get in their quick before all their stock is replaced with what people who drink at Jax will bring in (mismatched floral flatware, VCRs and loose games stolen from the library)
>>
>>2914819
Yes!I recall that now. That's also what he does; mind tricks and games, he always beats around the bush and never seems to want to get to the purchase. He's a fucking crackhead man I'm telling you. I don't mean to get so riled up, but god, he just infuriates me. And I know I'm not the only one. Just everything he does and everything he says is such utter bull shit. I feel like collectors should team up and take him down, as crazy as that may sound.

>>2914838
New2You's new location already opened like last week. I went there on the weekend; there's very little parking and the store itself is kind of dumpy. But who knows, maybe they'll fix it up a bit.
>>
>>2914819
Also if you don't mind me asking what was it he had that you were interested in?
>>
>>2914151
Disc rot doesn't happen if you keep the games in their cases. Seriously, it's almost a myth.
>>
>>2914849
It was Chronotrigger for SNES. He wanted $120 for a pretty damaged copy. He was nice enough in person but I think he's pretty much done now anyway isn't he? There was a time that Hamilton downtown was a goldmine for retro stuff people brought into pawnshops, Cheapies, Letterbox etc in exchange for booze money and I exploited the shit outta that ..but the supply is really running dry because every joker with a smart phone knows exactly what things are worth so of what little left there is, there are no deals to be had.
>>
>>2914882
I see. I think I remember that copy. Kind of steep though. I wouldn't know about him in person, though. Like I said I don't plan to ever do business with him. As far as I know, he still posts his ads about once a week, so he's still going. And yes, Hamilton's become a desert for retro games. Deals are extremely difficult to be had.
>>
>>2911979
Ps1 ps2 games are the proset of vidya.
Old fags here will remember proset
>>
>>2914897
Yeah.. hey wait were you that guy who nabbed Whomp Em off that guy in Ancaster a week or two ago? I was at work when it got posted and it being not as reliable a source these days I'm not as vigilant about checking kijiji so by the next morning it was already gone. No semi-racist NES platforming for me.
>>
>>2914912
No, that wasn't me 100% honest. I remember that ad though, I did e-mail the seller but I never heard back. Seemed like a good price. Game looks cool too, like a Mega Man type.
>>
>>2913547
he said his girlfriend not his wife
>>
>>2914916
Yeah it's good. I always feel compelled to look at every Jaleco game I see in the wild (because their games never specify the title on the top of the label) hoping it'll be that. But as you said, it's a desert these days. Maybe we should get into collecting beanie babies instead.
>>
>>2914931
Haha yes I know what you mean. Someone at Jaleco thought it was a smart idea to put the company name on the labels, not the title of the game. I instinctively check them, just in case something slipped through the cracks. I've wound down a bit with collecting, I'm spending less plus stuff I still want is much more rare/expensive stuff like Tomba, Metal Storm, etc.
>>
>>2914938
Lucky you, I decided in 2013 to start collecting for the Neo Geo. Money? Pff, I'll just make a shelter out of carts.
>>
>>2914998
Haha, I will admit Metal Slug and Magician Lord look amazing, but goddamn Neo Geo is so expensive. Like, Neo Geo is pretty much the most hardcore gaming stuff to collect. I guess Metal Slug Anthology can tide me over for then.
>>
>>2915007
Yeah I can't justify those prices. The only problem is the PS2 of MS:Anthology has slowdown and the Wii version has motion controls jury-rigged onto it. But for the thousands in savings it's worth dealing with one or the other.
>>
>>2915018
I have the Wii version, it actually supports the Gamecube controller. For whatever reason it doesn't say so on the box. That's how I play it.
>>
>>2915007
Magician Lord kind of sucks bro.

it's ludicrously difficult and no more fun then anything else, plus its only single player. Half the fun of MVS or AES is playing with a buddy.
>>
>>2915048
Magician Lord is awesome and as fun as any Castlevania and it has alternating 2 player
>>
>>2915048
I have heard mixed things on it, it just kind of reminds me of Mystic Defender on Genesis.
>>
>>2914356
>The prices have really collapsed on 2600 stuff,
I don't think they were ever particularly bloated given how 2nd gen fundamentally doesn't appeal to a person the same way as any gen since.

Single screen games with no objective or progression beyond building a high score has a really hard time appealing to later audiences when the graphics and sound was so primitive.
Tetris, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, they were fundamentally good and stand the test of time to this day, but unless you grew up playing stuff like Yar's Revenge or Galaga, good titles, but if you didn't grow up playing that gen of games, you'd probably not be too likely to seek it out.

So you have a large supply (because shit there was a lot of Atari games made), and a more limited demand, because kids and hipsters aren't exactly rushing out to pick up 2600 games, these aren't games that are easy for them to relate to.

There's just like, this divide, which is I think why the 2600 market never exploded in pricing, short of genuinely rare collector's pieces like Air Raid.
>>
>>2915059
I wanna get a 2600 with some games. They're cheap, easy to find and they do look like fun. I'm not actively searching for one but if I ever find a 2600 with 10 games for like $30 I'd go for it.
>>
>>2914917
Who cares what the pussy whipped said
>>
>>2915059
My thing was my parents wouldn't buy me consoles so I got a lot of the off systems that were being liquidated when I was a kid (TG-16, SEGA CD, DC etc) so I sort of accidentally found myself with a rare & valuable game collection. I didn't get around to Nintendo stuff until a bit later and it was still pretty cheap 10 years ago but it was just impossible to get every good game for every system before prices started to spike.
>>
>>2914560
People aren't mocking him for having a girl, they're mocking him for being a submissive bitch under her heel and pointing out that his girl probably doesn't love or respect him very well.

>>2914135
>what are rom dumps

>>2914869
Wasn't it largely traced to one large batch of discs with faulty manufacturing sometime in the 90s?

>>2915081
>My thing was my parents wouldn't buy me consoles
We had something similar for a lot of my earlier youth, we had an NES, but no SNES, eventually we got an N64, but we only had like maybe 3 or 4 games. I never got to experience Zelda or Perfect Dark.
>>
>>2912176
>>2912250
I kept everything as well, although I used to leave my carts out in the open so they would be easily accessible. All the boxes were on a shelf, and I put the instruction booklets in a drawer. Unfortunately most of the booklets got lost, as well as the cardboard inserts.

Good thing I still have the boxes to display on the shelf, but I have no idea why I decided to keep everything separate, thus losing a lot of the stuff that was inside.
>>
>>2911848
Saying NES has garbage, then saying you collect PS1. The only system with more shovel ware than PS1 is Wii.
>>
>>2911820
Yep. I got a flash cart and put every NES ROM on it. It's way better than spending a shitload of money on one game.
>>
>>2911820
Buying any retro games in 2016 is fucking pointless. The prices are fucking retarded because being a "nerd" is in right now. Fuck normies and fuck ebay kikes.
>>
File: beavis-and-butthead1.jpg (99 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
beavis-and-butthead1.jpg
99 KB, 640x480
>>2913287
>he's allowed to buy flashcarts
>>
>>2911961
>this is now an acceptable price
>>
>>2917046
You're absolutely free to buy Lester the Unlikely and Barbie Super Model if you want cheap games.

Unfortunately no one wants the shit. They want the good games.
>>
>>2917063
Yeah I know but damn....this is sad
>>
File: FLAVOR EXPLOSION.jpg (64 KB, 433x594) Image search: [Google]
FLAVOR EXPLOSION.jpg
64 KB, 433x594
>mfw normies will NEVER EVER inflate the prices of Japanese Saturn games
>>
>>2914806
>You don't need to modchip Dreamcast at all unless you want to play JP games on an American console.

Even then you can burn a region changer disc on your non-modded DC and then play everything if I'm not mistaken
>>
>>2917063
Yeah but the people who buy them at jacked up prices are the worst kind of people. I used to know a fat fucker who collected shoes and keyboards who recently got into game collecting, he would buy "rare" games at outrageous prices just to own them, never playing them.
>>
>>2917076
The Japanese collectors will do it themselves. I've already noticed prices explode in the niche category of games that I buy from Yahoo. Like, items that I bought for about 3,000JPY in early 2014 would now readily sell for 15-20,000+JPY. Don't hesitate to get what you want - it only gets worse.

That being said, I think any collecting fad is bound to die down, but it could take years and when it does prices will likely still be higher.
>>
>>2917076
Because it's a pretty weeb console. no bully plz
>>
>>2917076

Tell that to Sonic Jam
>>
>>2911865
The NES library has a ton of hidden gems, I'm still finding new ones to this day (Holy Diver on Famicom).
>>
>>2911898
Nothing sounds good on emulation.

Give it a rest.
>>
>>2912092
What matters is the games, I sold my collection as a lot on eBay and now I own flashcarts and the hardware.

Nothing better than grabbing those scalpers' faces, putting them on my butt and farting.
>>
File: 1452534563577.jpg (885 KB, 1600x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452534563577.jpg
885 KB, 1600x1080
>>2917085
>Radiant Silvergun is 15000Â¥-25000Â¥

Fucking end me
>>
>>2917085
I thought game collecting wasn't as big a thing in Japan?

Lots of Japanese games are cheaper than the English versions anyway. Maybe it's just because more copies were printed.
>>
>>2917193
It's actually gone down since the XBLA rerelease. 5-10 years ago it went for 300-400 bucks easily.
>>
>>2917084
The people who just buy games- more so the rare games- just with the intent of having them are usually the ones who get out of collecting first. They don't primarily play games, wake up one day and decide they want all the rarest SNES games. They'll drop tons of money in a small period of time, then most likely sell off their stuff when they either lose interest, or go, "Holy fuck, I've spent how much on this crap?!"
>>
>>2911820
>Buying online
you are doing it wrong
>>
>>2914151
You'd have to store your discs in a fucking sewer for them to get disc rot. People that still believe in that shit are stupid as fuck.
>>
>>2917325
Quit perpetuating the "disc rot isn't real" bullshit. Its very real. What people don't realize is that disc rot doesn't happen because of how a game is stored or treated. It's entirely due to manufacturing error, so unfortunately there is no way to prevent it or identify which discs are going to have rot eventually.
>>
>>2917224

Dunno, but I know for the game things I collect the market exploded some time last year. I don't know much about game collecting in Japan one way or the other, to be honest. I will say, though, that if more westerners are importing games, then chances are more people and companies are rising to meet that demand, which would result in fewer games available in Japan. I won't speculate further since I don't really know, but I do know that one game I'm eyeing ends in about a day and a half or so and is already up to if not beyond what it would have sold for 2 years ago (and will surely go higher).

The problem with internet buying is that it only takes one or two people to throw everything into turmoil. One new guy who lacks a sense of historical prices shows up wins a huge portion of auctions in a category due to an apparent abundance of money, other people get antsy and start bidding more, and before you know it the average selling price has basically doubled. I guess some would be happy that their "investments" tripled to quintupled in value over 2 years, but fuck that shit, this isn't my retirement. I just want to keep buying my damn games without feeling sick about the prices.
>>
>>2917309
>buying offline
It's not 2009 any more, grampa. Almost everyone you'll encounter in person now has smart phones and quick access to ebay. Almost everyone sells at ebay prices, if not higher. The only way viable way to get a decent deal is to do garage sales, and with those, you're spending tons of time driving around and rummaging through shit hoping to have a slim chance of finding video games, and of that slim chance, an even slimmer chance of finding the things you specifically want. It's not worth the time expenditure whatsoever.
>>
>>2917475
Not the anon you replied to but it helps to be a regular at an independent shop that sells retro, where they realize you know the market and use the same resources they do. But of course that all depends on where you live.
>>
Yeah. I rarely pick up any Nintendo games anymore since everyone and their mother wants to charge a arm and a leg for a game that isn't even rare but they saw it on Ebay so they think they can slang it at that price.
>>
>>2917728
>be a regular
To be a regular you gotta buy.
If you're a "regular" who never buys anything they will actually hate you

>post stuff on ebay for a reasonable price
>going rate is 40 usd
>ask for 40 cad
>3 different offers from obvious resellers for less than 50% of my asking price

Fuck everything. I should just burn my doubles.
>>
Resellers are cancer.

Never tell anyone that enjoys collecting and playing retro vidya that you do this.
>>
>>2917743
I am amused by the idea of resellers who buy on ebay and then try to resell on ebay for a profit. It is like they have no fucking idea what they are doing.

I wonder if the old videogame selling business attracts a massively disproportionate number of clueless "entrepreneurs" relative to almost any other business venture, followed only by the restaurant business.
>>
>>2917743
Why would you be a regular at a store you never buy anything from? If you know what things go for and you know a store is shit for prices I don't see why you would consider going back in there repeatedly. Why would any independent store be cool with someone coming in all the time and never buying anything?
>>
>>2917763
Not him, but if they have relatively fluid stock, you might go on he off-chance that they have something interesting at a reasonable price. It can also be fun just to browse.
>>
>>2917763
Regulars who don't buy often come in two flavours:

1) That guy who thinks he's friends with all the workers there, because they're at fucking work and he thinks they enjoy his social graces and they can't tell him to fuck off without him throwing a massive temper tantrum. The guy everyone on staff thinks "Jesus Christ, him again."

2) That guy is who is super selective because he owns almost everything already, doesn't bother anyone and actually IS friends with the staff because he sometimes helps other customers out, is knowledgeable, and isn't a colossal faggot. That guy everyone on staff thinks "I wonder if so-and-so will stop by today?"
>>
>>2911948
>He doesn't buy all his retro games from Japan
I got all three SMT games on SNES for about 3 bucks each, then I bought SMRPG and Kirby Super Star for 5 bucks each.
>>
>>2911820
bitching about NWC being $10k+ is pretty fucking ignorant... or just troll bait

it's probably the rarest NES cart outside of Stadium Events
>>
>>2911993
Because people who used Sega as kids weren't idiots, and therefore didn't turn into doss cunt adults who spend exorbitant amounts on a self fulfilling market.
>>
>>2917880
Outside of certain prototypes, at least.
>>
>>2917893
>[citation needed]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shining-Force-II-Sega-Genesis-1994-complete-CIB-/172032869919?hash=item280df5461f:g:vj8AAOSwFnFV9jAs
>>
File: 158.gif (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
158.gif
26 KB, 500x375
I wanted to pick up the JoJo PS1 game since the PS3 version was no longer available by the time I was interested in it. First I see the price at around $60 on Amazon. Because I'm a fucking retard I assumed the price would lower over time.
I was wrong. A used copy is $119.97, and new copies are $199.97.

On Ebay import copies are cheap (and don't have the US version's censorship), but Playstation 1 is region locked.

Fuck it, I'll just use Final Burn Alpha and play the CPS-3 version.
>>
File: 1452781207113.gif (142 KB, 274x199) Image search: [Google]
1452781207113.gif
142 KB, 274x199
>go to buy an n64 on jewbay
>the word RARE is thrown around more than singles at a strip club

For fucks sake, there were millions of n64s made. Quit labeling your shit as rare. Fuck I hate "gamer" culture. Fucking faggots.

At least most fun n64 games are still pretty cheap there, though it's only a matter of time until they shoot up in price like the snes.

Never understood why Paper Mario, Mario Kart, the Mario party games, Conkers, and OB64 command such high prices though.
>>
>>2917912
That's not what an exorbitant price looks like.

http://ebay.com/itm/Earthbound-Super-Nintendo-Game-Complete-In-Original-Box-/321973791976?nav=SEARCH
>>
>>2918092
Is earthbound actually "rare" or have retarded buyers and sellers managed to keep the price that high?
>>
>>2918097
It's not rare at all. The cart alone is very easy to find.

Even the box and guide are pretty easy to find. There are always like 3-4 listings for complete Earthbounds at any given time on eBay. Maybe the supply is so high right now because people want to cashin on the bubble and the supply will go down once more of them are owned by genuine collectors, I dunno.

People often say Earthbound is rare because it "didn't sell well", but apparently it still sold something like 100k? That's way more copies than even moderately uncommon games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, which has something like 20-30k copies. It would be nice if someone had a source on Earthbound's sales.
>>
>>2918106
There have been people buying up multiple copies of Earthbound over 10 years ago (when they were 60 dollars). It's like they knew.
>>
File: gd.png (550 KB, 753x1238) Image search: [Google]
gd.png
550 KB, 753x1238
Wasn't SSB like on average $20 a few years back or am I just full of shit?

Fucking smashfaggots.
>>
>>2918115
More like 30
>>
File: 1450735713700.jpg (77 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
1450735713700.jpg
77 KB, 500x650
Do you think the inflation will ever end?

How would it even happen?
>>
>>2918124
Warning: I'm not an economist.

The price of an item, including used games, is a function of supply and demand. The supply of retro games is finite and ever-shrinking, since copies naturally get lost or damaged over time. The finite supply will drive prices up, with really no end in sight, until 200 years from now when there's only one priceless working copy of SSB left in existence. Or something like that, you get the point.

The only way prices could come down is if demand took a nosedive. People on /vr/ think we're in a retro hipster bubble, but I don't think that's true. People just really like video games, and more and more people will naturally become interested in collecting over time. We're not going to see a mass hipster exodus where suddenly no one cares about collecting games anymore.

tl;dr I wouldn't expect prices to come down significantly anytime soon.
>>
>>2918134
>The price of an item, including used games, is a function of supply and demand. The supply of retro games is finite and ever-shrinking, since copies naturally get lost or damaged over time.

You're really overstating it. There is a finite supply of retro games and hardware being circulated, but these copies should nonetheless number in the millions. There is no current shortage of retro games, and there won't be unless millions more people suddenly become interested in owning physical consoles. As it stands, retro gaming is a very niche community, not even a sizable number of people. There are likely thousands more hardware units and games circulating out there than can be paired up with the small number of retro collectors who want them.

Let me point out that price inflation (in this case) is often arbitrary. One reseller may randomly nudge the price of their games believing that a specific console is more popular than it actually is, or just because they want to squeeze a few extra bucks out of their buyers. Other resellers see these increases and assume they game is in greater demand, so they match their prices to follow suite. Gradually, prices start trending higher.

This has nothing to do with supply and demand. There's no centralized warehouse where all these items are contained and can be accounted for, so no one can reasonably conjecture on the supply of retro games and hardware available. Once again, price trends are mostly arbitrary whims based on a lot of assumptions and blindly following the trendsetters who initiated them.
>>
>>2918134
That and the gen x/y rebuying thier childhood is the least wealthy since pre wwII. Video games hit that great nostalgic escape at a great price point. Cant buy a house, car, or pay back student loans? Guess ill buy smw dor $35 and pretend everything is ok. There is a small demand from younger gamers wanting to know what they missed but cheap nostalgia in the face of no future or identity is king
>>
>>2918260
A great quote about nostalgia, though I can't remember where it's from:

Nostalgia is the crutch to living in the moment.
>>
>>2917306
Then those same ones are the fuckers who try and sell their shit on ebay for even MORE ridiculous prices because they're trying to recoup their losses.
>>
>>2918326
Yep, and that's why it's stupid to go drops tons of money without even thinking- seriously, the money you make from selling games, especially ebay, is peanuts. As compared to just investing in a more sensable investment, or better yet, just getting a normal fucking job.
>>
>>2918115
Super Smash Bros. is responsible for so much of this retro game hipster bullshit. It's made the current generation aware of older games, and celebrates them. Copies of Earthbound wouldn't be worth shit if Smash Bros. had never existed.

>>2918106
>It's not rare at all. The cart alone is very easy to find.
It's funny, because games that should easily be more "common" like Mega Man X, Kirby Super Star, or Super Metroid are fucking nowhere to be found. I've hit up every retro game store and flea market in my area. NONE of them have copies of those games because they're priced comparatively reasonably and copies move quickly. Pretty much EVERY retro game store I see has a copy of Earthbound with a $200+ price tag on it that nobody wants to touch. Makes me wonder when the price will start to slip.
>>
>>2918330
This. I sell games after I'm done with them but I don't do it for a living, I have a real job. Selling just helps me to clear out stuff I no longer need or want. I do make profit usually, but that's because I'm a cheapskate who buys low all the time anyway.
>>
>>2918234
>You're really overstating it.
He is actually right in his prediction but for the wrong reasons. Prices won't go down anytime soon, not because the games are rotting apart, but because there will be fewer and fewer in circulation overall.
In a finite supply you can only achieve constant circulation if the games bought keep being sold. This is not 100% true (not even close) because the great majority of games are still in the hands of people who bought them when they came out. Now from all those people, you have to weed out all those who are not thinking about selling them for whatever reason it may be and focus on the games that are being sold. From those, you have 3 types of buyers; people who will sell it again (resellers), people who won't sell it again (collectors) and people who might eventually sell it again (those who buy to play and get rid of it later). From this it's obvious that the games in circulation will shrink in size, unless there are more owners selling their shit than there are collectors picking them up. Just think that every copy of a game sold on ebay has a 66% chance of not going to the market again in the foreseeable future. And it doesn't matter who many games actually exist, because everyone knows they're not being made anymore and that adds rarity value to it because you don't have access to all the available games.

>Let me point out that price inflation (in this case) is often arbitrary
I completely agree. That's the most worrying part - retro games are peaking in price but they won't simply go down just like that, besides the few who are just really overpriced and will go down slightly when interest starts to fade.
Also, I think retro game nostalgia won't be a massive thing from PS3/360 generation onwards. The internet became widespread and so did digital content and "temporary ownership" of things. People didn't care about physical because everything came digitally, so there won't be much nostalgia for disc/manuals stuff.
>>
>>2918339
It's weird, so many people have stories about finding Earthbound in retro stores. One guy said that a store near him had two CiB copies. I've never seen an Earthbound cart in my life besides the one I bought on eBay, and every retro store I've been to in the past month has had a copy of Super Metroid. If the internet didn't exist, then I probably would call Earthbound rare, but in today's world, nothing that's a click away can be called rare...

$200 is a tad pricey for just the cart (saw one auction the other day that started at $10 and ended at $160), plus Earthbound doesn't have the same name recognition as Mario/Zelda/Metroid, so people are less likely to buy it on impulse or because of nostalgia.
>>
>>2918349
>66% chance of not going to the market again

Yep, this is accurate. Games will, slowly, be bought up by collectors who won't resell them.

I was happy to recently take a Earthbound cart/box/guide set permanently off the market. It'll have a good home and it won't get flipped by a dirty reseller.

>there won't be much nostalgia for discs/manuals stuff

I think almost all games in the West have stopped coming with manuals. I might have gotten a manual with PDF 2nd on the Vita, I can't remember right now.
>>
>>2914560
>Letting people control the way you live your life.
Unless you are a kid, you shouldn't do that
>>
>>2918370
I have seen more copies of Earthbound in person over the last few years than I have Super Mario World. Literally every retro game store I know has a copy of Earthbound, whereas I've never seen Super Metroid. Without fail, every SNES display has Earthbound sitting at the top, on some sort of pedestal, bearing an outlandish price tag. It's as though stores just want to keep them around for show. The problem is that Earthbound HAS attained a sort of name recognition from Smash Bros., and hipster scum is well aware of its status as a collectible, so it is rather sought after.

How much were copies of Metroid going for in your retro stores? Prices are a little high on ebay.
>>
>>2918408
dunno never seen one except a cib metroid 2. which i bought for 80$, i felt dirty after
>>
>>2918408
I saw one cart for $70 and one with box and manual for $120.

There are some carts on eBay right now going for close to $50, which is a perfectly fair price.
>>
>>2918408
I remember the massive ad blitz for eb back in the day. And literally seeing stacks of it at bb for like 5 bucks. It's a very common game really.
>>
What it comes down to is how many people who joined during the recent boom are real, passionate collectors versus those who are just chasing nostalgia, those trying to make a quick buck, or those just following some sort of fad. If there is a greater proportion of the last three groups, then prices will start to decline once they lose interest. I've seen at least one ebay user who used to bid extremely high on a large portion of a certain gaming category on ebay, to the point that he seemed to win a large portion of all of those listings. Then, after some months, he apparently vanished. Maybe a bid here or there, but ive recently won an item in the category with only one other bidder (who as far as I can tell wasn't him).

Flash in the pan collectors who fly into something wallets open are probably of the fickle sort who lose interest and move onto the next hot thing. They're the New Years Resolution workout fanatics of the game buying world.
>>
>>2917782
Only worth it if you can read moon runes weeb.
>>
>>2918421
>$50, which is a perfectly fair price.
Ehhh. In theory, it is. I mean, the game is one of the best ever made, but I just feel dirty paying basically MSRP for a 20 year old game, second hand, with no manual or box or anything. I'd be more comfortable in the $30 range. I'm in no real hurry to own it, I've played it to hell and back, I just never owned a copy for myself.

There were a lot of games I never owned, I was big into borrowing and renting back then, since most of my friends were only children whose parents spoiled them with games. Meanwhile, I was one of 3 kids, the only one interested in video games. My parents didn't spend crazy amounts of money on it, i was lucky to be able to get one game for Christmas and one for my birthday every year. I look back and I'm still amazed I was able to get a Sega Genesis AND a Super Nintendo.

>>2918446
Whenever I'm video game hunting, the people I see in stores/at flea markets, it seems to be mostly people my age (late 20s, early 30s) who sound like they know very little about video games, other than the fact that they had a SNES when they were younger and thought Super Mario World was just the greatest thing. The rest of the people I see are hipsters with thick glasses and flannel shirts who weren't old enough to own an SNES in the first place. I rarely come across the genuine, passionate collector. In fact, most of the time I'm more knowledgeable of retro games than the people who work at these stores, and that's not me bragging. These employees just don't know much at all.
>>
>>2918234
>This has nothing to do with supply and demand.

Spoken like someone who has no idea how supply and demand work. The higher prices go, the more people are willing to sell their items. In some cases prices go so high that it's worth the effort to repro things. None of this shit is ever permanently out of circulation, especially now that these things are collector's items. Sure, the occasional (this or that) gets broken beyond repair, but collected pieces are actually cared for and their owners are aware they hold value. We're still in the time frame that people will find boxes of this shit in their storage that they didn't know was worth anything.
>>
>>2918467
>In fact, most of the time I'm more knowledgeable of retro games than the people who work at these stores, and that's not me bragging. These employees just don't know much at all.

That's why they're teenagers making minimum wage. Not to mention the hobby is so expansive expecting encyclopedic knowledge on whatever you consider a retro litmus test is just silly.
>>
Living in the UK is suffering. I used to buy retro games every week or so. I've all but given up on collecting now.
>>
>>2911948
Yeah, shit is ridiculous. I imported a super famicom from glorious nippon. Bought a couple dirt-cheap games from there too and an everdrive for everything else. I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

Before then I only ever bought games for the genesis online. I had no idea SNES shit was so retardedly expensive in the west. Literally everything decent is expensive as fuck, just because it has a well-known nintendo character.
>>
>>2918446
My spending habits are following a similar trajectory, but I wouldn't call myself a "flash in the pan" collector. There's a small number of high-value games I want, and I'm in the process of buying those. Once I have them, that'll pretty much be it for big purchases; there's simply not much else I want right now. I'll continue to make small purchases, because I do like the idea of building up a large collection, but it's not something I'm in a rush to finish or spend a lot of money on.
>>
>>2918506
Well, we'll see, I guess. I don't know you obviously and maybe you will continue to buy stuff, but if you started collecting games within the past 2 years or so and are spending big bucks on big name games, it sounds like you could potentially be someone who burns out in a year.
>>
>>2918768
Depends on your definition of "burnout"... there's a finite number of big titles I'm going to buy and then I won't buy anymore, so if that's burnout, then yes, I'll be done soon. I'm going to keep making small $20-$30 purchases for a long time though, since I've been a gamer all my life and I tend to like older games better.
>>
>>2918339
>Super Smash Bros. is responsible for so much of this retro game hipster bullshit. It's made the current generation aware of older games, and celebrates them.
I don't think that's bad though, I like that those games are enjoyed, I'd wager that though most people overrate Earthbound as a game, the fact that they seek it out and enjoy it at any rate is good to me.

If you want to play it but not spend a lot of money, there are lots of alternatives.
>>
>>2914764
Move to based Toronto.
>>
The only expensive games are meme games. Hell, Earthbound is dropping like a rock because the craze is settling down.
>>
>>2920242
Earthbound is definitely not dropping like a rock. Snes games have always followed a pattern... They get cheaper in the summer and mud year but spike in price at Christmas. By a lot. And they will never go back down to their lowest point. Except some anomalies like ff3. Probably with the advent of it being so easily available and downloadable on mobile and psn.
Anyways, point being, Snes stuff is just going to keep getting higher and higher. Chrono trigger and Mario rpg boxed is going for $300usd now, wouldn't surprise me if it approaches the $1k or earthbound level in a few years. Super metroid is sitting at $150 or so but I promise you that's one that will be shooting up soon as well. Tons of shit is just going to keep going up in price as mire and more people get into retro gaming. Even the old Snes sports games are pretty good, some of them. And are sought after
>>
File: super metroid.png (333 KB, 786x762) Image search: [Google]
super metroid.png
333 KB, 786x762
>>2920269
>Super metroid is sitting at $150
eh?
>>
>>2920269
I think ever loose SNES game will sell for over $200 within 5 years! BUY NOW! BUY MANY COPIES!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.