[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on System Shock series? SS2 often gets praised for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Sysshock.jpg (42 KB, 361x500) Image search: [Google]
Sysshock.jpg
42 KB, 361x500
Thoughts on System Shock series?

SS2 often gets praised for the being the best, but I always thought SS1 was far superior. At least from a game design standpoint.
>>
They're both really fun.

I don't bother comparing them since they're so different and good for different reasons. I just enjoy both for what they offer.
>>
I preferred the cyberpunk feel of SS1.
And it's a shame that SS2 spoiled the reveal of Shodan by plastering her all over the game.
>>
Maybe if the Enhanced Edition bothered to have an inverted mouse option I would speak highly of it but for now it's just a repackage of mods to me.
>>
too maze like, everything looks the same, horrible controls, aged graphics/music
>>
they both deserve a remake, do I expect the industry to be able to not fuck that up? no
>>
>>2908068
>aged graphics
okay, that's a given
>aged music
wew lad, oh no you didn't.
>>
>>2907874
>inverted mouse

for what purpose
>>
>>2908068
>aged music
kek
>>
>>2908085

four-watt porpoise
>>
>>2908068
>too maze like, everything looks the same
lmao
>>
File: 1449592064618.jpg (508 KB, 1214x816) Image search: [Google]
1449592064618.jpg
508 KB, 1214x816
>>2908068
>he doesn't like mazes
>>
>>2907738
SS1 > ss2
>>
>>2909323

Looks like a Minecraft map.
>>
trash
>>
>>2907738
SS1: shit controls (can be fixed with mods though)
SS2: shit RPG mechanics, shit hacking minigame

SS1 > SS2
>>
>Enhanced Edition
>doesn't have option for superior Mac music
So much for being enhanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3q356rZqQ4
>>
I prefer SS2. Love the fucked up Event Horizon feel that it has.

SS2 also had some truly excellent sound design & an awesome soundtrack.
>>
File: 1448503205-system-shock-remake-1.jpg (407 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448503205-system-shock-remake-1.jpg
407 KB, 1920x1080
Anybody else think the remake for SS1 is completely unnecessary?
>>
>>2912238
More importantly, does anyone else think SS3 is going to suck hard?
>>
>>2912238
old one looks better 2bh
>>
>>2912259
most likely
>>
>>2912021
>Shit controls
It is weird because the main reason that people hate on the first one is the controls but for me the controls make me like the game more than the second. The tank like controls makes the game unique to go back to. I might be alone on that one though
>>
>>2912238
It could get a lot of plebs who would otherwise be put off by the controls/the fact that SS1 is old to try it out. That's good, even if I don't need it.
>>
>>2912452
SS controls are just slower and more obnoxious to use. There really wasn't a reason it didn't have mouselook in the beginning, other than developer oversight.
>>
>>2907738
They're good games, but I personally can't enjoy them. I never liked maze-esque FPS games like System Shock, they never really appealed to me.
>>
>>2912259
The few things I know about it are good but it's not enough things to make me excited. At least I'm not outright dreading it like I thought I would.
>>
>>2912493
What kind of things do you know are going to be good about? Just curious.
>>
>>2912520
It's not things that are definitely going to be good about the game, but it has some things going for it.

EA (or any other shitty big publisher) isn't involved. Until recently, as far as I know, EA still had some rights to SS.

The team in charge of it is small, and some of the people there were significant players at Looking Glass (not random playtesters, but creative directors, lead designers, level designers, a concept artist, and such).

They had their wits about them enough to get the iconic voice of the series involved (looking at you, Thi4f and Splinter Cell).

The game they're currently making (not SS3) is for PC only. They said console versions might be considered later, but only when they can be developed separately so it doesn't affect the PC version, and iirc they said they had the same plan for SS3.

Basically everything they say makes it sound like they still know what makes a good old immersive sim like they used to.

Of course there are reasons to be cautious:
Regardless of the developers' pedigrees, they're unproven in their current form.

They have no fucking clue how to into PR/advertising/general presentation (their website has had errors visible for ages and nobody fixes it. Are they incompetent? Are they too frugal to hire a web designer to make a good looking website? Are they just too busy making a game to give a fuck? Who knows).

How many other independent projects handled by classic veteran developers have gone horribly wrong?

The musicians and sound designers still aren't on board and may not be willing to leave their current jobs at Harmonix to contribute.
>>
>>2912573
We'll have to see how their new Underworld game ends up being. As you said having original developers back doesn't mean the game will end up being great. But from the looks of the their current game really doesn't look that great from what we've seen so far.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.