[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here have a 3DO? If so, do you like it or have any fond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: Four 3DO consoles.jpg (55 KB, 600x384) Image search: [Google]
Four 3DO consoles.jpg
55 KB, 600x384
Anyone here have a 3DO? If so, do you like it or have any fond memories of it? Favorite games?

3DO general, I guess.
>>
>>2906263
I have the bottom two. They're meh.
>>
Pretty much only enjoyed Gex. I also had Pataank which was good for a laugh but confusing. PO'ed gave me early boners from the naked women enemies with rocket launcher arms
>>
I have a Panasonic FZ-1 (lower right not the camera) and it's good for a diversion or to delve into a liitle obscurity. There are some good FMV games on it that I don't have the funds to play on Laseractive and a few exclusives that are for sure enjoyable even beyond their novelty plus it doesn't really have a good emulator but it plays burned discs and only runs like $60 right? Worth having.
>>
I have bottom-left, given to me by a friend. It's okay. I like that you can easily burn games for it, and it has a few unique things on it.
>>
File: killingtime.jpg (168 KB, 608x600) Image search: [Google]
killingtime.jpg
168 KB, 608x600
>>2906263
Killing Time was pretty damn cool.
>>
Doom 3DO has the best soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKF3QBpVKTQ&list=PLB2880E9A7DFF6C25&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdwmbR_LG0E&list=PLB2880E9A7DFF6C25&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTQg3f6vk9s&index=5&list=PLB2880E9A7DFF6C25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqE6j1uei5E&list=PLB2880E9A7DFF6C25&index=6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB_RvCHIYZE&list=PLB2880E9A7DFF6C25&index=8
>>
>>2906263
Oh yeah wing commander 1 had the best version here along with gex and a few others
>>
>>2906826
It was pretty terrible in other regards though.

Basically, the devs were noobs who knew literally nothing about making games, they had signed a contract to do this port within 10 weeks, had lots of ambitions and ideas (we're gonna have new levels and weapons) but didn't know the first thing about making their ideas reality.

They had hired Burger Bill as a consultant, an experienced programmer, he was not aware that they were entirely clueless, it dawned on him when he asked for the Doom source code, and they sent him a copy of Doom.

So because of contractual obligation, he was basically made to cobble together a port of Doom in a massive hurry, the only reason it was even possible was that he talked to Carmack and he was bro enough to provide him with the sourcecode for the Jaguar port, which Bill reverse engineered and put on the 3DO in enough time to make it just barely playable. id Software was made aware of the situation and saw the work in progress and they were all "Dude, you can't do this, we should just cancel this port, look at the framerate, look at your deadline" but contracts were already signed.

The one thing the noob dev team could actually do was play music (the CEO was a good guitarist, etc) so Bill got them to record live instrumental versions of the tracks over the course of development, and it was then gradually put into the game, probably the 3DO version's only saving grace.
>>
File: 1441936360440.gif (1 MB, 359x200) Image search: [Google]
1441936360440.gif
1 MB, 359x200
>>2906263
I thought the 3DO was ass then, and that opinion still holds true 20+ years later. Never cared for it.
>>
File: Belzerion.png (82 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Belzerion.png
82 KB, 320x240
>>2906343
>it doesn't really have a good emulator
Most of the stuff should work on 4DO 1.3.2.4, but some games still have buggy emulation like Robinson Requiem or Alone In The Dark 2. There are probably more. Everything I tested (around 60 games) work nicely in Phoenix 2.4, but it`s in Russian language. Figured that out the hard way with some online translation tool.
I use the console for lightgun games and the emulators for the convenience.
>>
>>2907283
It has sweet ports of Wolf 3D and Killing Time, but the unit costed anywhere between 500 to 700 dollars new, which was insane back then as it is now, adjusting for inflation that's nearly 1000 USD today.

Thankfully, they're a complete bargain now as nobody really wants them that badly.
>>
>>2907184
Didn't know that, that's pretty cool. It's shame either way. If they actually made the framerate good this could have been the best port.
>>
I have an odd obsession with failed consoles like the 3DO, jaguar, and 32X. Not so much that I would actually buy them, but just curious enough about them to wonder what they could've been capable of had they had the chance to mature instead of being killed off.
>>
>>2907454
Well thanks for sharing freaky obsessed guy. Make sure it rubs the lotion on it's skin.
>>
>>2906263

found a 3do game but haven't come across a unit yet
>>
>>2906826
Whoa!
>>
File: confused.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
confused.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>2907418
>$100+
>complete bargain
>>
File: wait.png (97 KB, 317x239) Image search: [Google]
wait.png
97 KB, 317x239
>>2906263

There are mainstream journalistic articles that actually seriously discuss the Sega Saturn "being the worst console ever" when this thing and a myriad of other choices exist.

It makes no sense to me. I'm not even a Saturn fag I don't own one, but at least it has a shit ton of games worth playing even if you have to be a weeb to get into it.

Basically, the 3DO isn't worth it. Gex 64 and other such ports exist. Even the Virtual Boy is redeemable to some extent(note: SOME), but this thing is practically worthless in this day and age with some exceptions. If you get it from a yard sale for 20 bucks, sweet. If you actually paid 100+ for it, I feel sorry for you. That 100 bucks was better spent elsewhere, even if you're rich.
>>
need for speed is the best game followed by road rash
>>
I sold one for 70 bucks at a flea market when it was worth 20 by then if I was lucky. I remember running into that angry old man a month later. Good times.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.