[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
games you've never beaten despite trying One of these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 21
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
29 KB, 480x360
games you've never beaten despite trying

One of these days I'll beat this level...
>>
File: gaiares2.png (851 KB, 494x700) Image search: [Google]
gaiares2.png
851 KB, 494x700
It's just never going to happen. I can accept that now. But it's such a good game that I keep playing it anyway.
>>
Like half my collection, easy. Including many from my childhood.
>>
File: 1236100275-00[1].png (75 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1236100275-00[1].png
75 KB, 320x240
I've tried. I want to like the game, but it honestly has the worst controls I have ever encountered - And this is a side scroller!

Le Shouty Youtube Man would have a brilliant field day with this game.
>>
File: bof3-cover-psxus.jpg (81 KB, 640x636) Image search: [Google]
bof3-cover-psxus.jpg
81 KB, 640x636
It's been about 4 years since the last try. This time I got to the some kind of gladiator thing, then I just stopped playing.

I don't know why I've never beaten it since it seems to be ok and all. I just always seem to lose interest with it.

This thread actually makes me want to go for it once again. Hopefully it won't be another four years this time.
>>
>>2906267
least you got the free t-shirt, right?
>>
>>2906261
I can't beat Death. Is specially frustrating because in most gameplay videos you see they kill her in a few seconds.
>>
>>2906294
IKTF bro. I haven't beaten ANY of the BoFs. The farthest I got was 4 where I got the false ending.
>>
>>2906304
I think I used the cross heavily there. On the first form, focus on pelting him with crosses (especially look for the double icon, which can be found in that stage) and make sure you don't get hit by sickles.
>>
File: Gradius-III.jpg (197 KB, 752x440) Image search: [Google]
Gradius-III.jpg
197 KB, 752x440
Gradius III. I put it on normal and I just can't beat the first level. The game is just too brutal for me. I just kept going on and on with the same level but I didn't get much progress. I saw level two about two or three times and just died from a wall of bubbles.

I could do much better in Gradius I and II with so little practice than Gradius III.
>>
Ecco, couldn't beat the final level and I tried many times. The few times I reached the final boss I died.
>>
>>2906525
Look up the password to get to the final boss without playing the autoscroller. Learn the final boss. Then return to the autoscroller and do both in succession like you're supposed to so you can say you've completed the game without cheating.
>>
File: 1393609991829.png (246 KB, 650x543) Image search: [Google]
1393609991829.png
246 KB, 650x543
Don't give up anons.I was literally 5 minutes ago trying to beat the D-4 stage of mario lost levels that I was stuck since I was 9 years old and finally 11 years late finished it!
NEVAH GIVE UPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYzMYcUty6s
>>
>>2906261
That one's pretty hard OP, but play the Japanese version that is unbutchered. It's better.
>>
>>2906552
Stop mentioning your age, it pisses me off.
>>
>>2906554
Not to mention the VRC-6 audio.
>>
This thread is bullshit. I believe that all of you guys can beat these games. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I get stuck all the time. We all do. They are NOT impossible. You are just a bunch of quitters.
>>
>>2906570

tough shit, you autistic fuckwad
>>
File: 1440968252131.jpg (91 KB, 501x480) Image search: [Google]
1440968252131.jpg
91 KB, 501x480
>>2906630
You beat Gradius III arcade then. I don't have that sort of time and the practice is better used on something else.

I am not that kid that comes home to play video games for a few hours a day anymore, I have other things to do, more interests, and I cannot be assed to spend that sort of time on a game.
>>
>>2906754
I'm pretty sure his post was meant to be motivational.
>>
I own this game on the SNES and the PSX. I had it emulated on my PSP, desktop computer, 3 phones, and a tablet. I used to have my save state stored on the cloud so I could go to any computer lab at my school between classes and play it.

I consider it one of my favorite games ever, and always get distracted with it after a dozen hours and move on to something else, or miss (or lose) a particular character or some other minor annoyance like not being well enough aligned or charismatic at a particular dialogue and get frustrated.

When I come back, I always want to start over from the beginning. There are 12 endings and I haven't seen one!
>>
>>2906304
>her
>>
>>2906551
That's cheating no matter how you look at it.
>>2906554
Not the same if you have to play an easier version.
>>
>>2906779
>That's cheating no matter how you look at it.
It is not cheating. You could accomplish the same thing by being rich, and having an army of servants completing the autoscroller for you on lots of machines at once, and letting you take over for the boss. It doesn't matter how you learn a game so long as the final playthrough is done legitimately.
>>
>>2906353
You don't need to look for double item, it appears after you kill several enemies in a row with sub weapon, so if you want to have a full powered cross you simply need to use it on the medusa heads and knights in the hall leading to Death. Not sure about CV3 though, but that how it worked in the original one.
>>
>>2906261
Bubble Bobble on Game Gear.

Needed secret items to get to the final level, no internet at the time to know where to get them, always missed one.
>>
>>2906754
Sounds like a personal problem anon
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (171 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
171 KB, 1440x1080
>>2906261
One day I'll get past this friggin' house...
>>
>>2906754
>complains about not being able to beat video game
>has other interests
>time better used on something else
>browses and posts on 4chan
>>
>>2906856
whats bullshit is you have to beat the entire game twice for the ending.
>>
>>2906856
This part is a difficulty spike, it's somewhat easier after this bullshit house, fuck, keep believing in yourself !
>>
>>2906630
My problem isn't that they're so hard they're impossible, it's the game keeping my attention long enough to get good enough to beat it. That's what happens with the vast majority of games I've never beat.

To date Mario 2 is the only game in the series I've ever played all the way through to the end. I assume if I put a bunch of practice in I could beat them, but I'd rather play or do other things.
>>
File: bad time.png (5 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bad time.png
5 KB, 640x480
>>
>>2906856

Anon make sure you grab the armor in the top left of the house if you take a hit and the time bonus not too long after the house at the top of one of the raising platforms.
>>
File: BombermanHero_1.jpg (20 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
BombermanHero_1.jpg
20 KB, 320x240
I just can't do it.

The harder boss rush before the final boss on the last planet just destroys me every time.

I just don't know if I'll ever be able to do it.
>>
>>2906856
Try playing a non-shit version of the game next time too.
>>
>>2909258
Not retro, reported faggot.
>>
>>2909274
Oh my god, I feel you bro. I couldn't beat that part either, forgot all about this game, then came back to it about a year later and somehow beat it.
Iirc, the (cat?) girl with the whip and robot was the most difficult part of that boss rush to me.
>>
>>2909280
>falling for the bait
>>
File: Yes that is Fabio.png (146 KB, 220x300) Image search: [Google]
Yes that is Fabio.png
146 KB, 220x300
I've beaten CV3, Ghosts N Goblins, and Ninja Gaiden, but I for the life of me cannot beat the last boss of this game. I love the game, but just can't do it.
>>
>>2906554
I'm not paying for a JP copy and it's easier anyway. I have my US cart and I'm gonna beat it. Not gonna lie though, at current point I have no idea how to beat the boss.
>>
>>2909374
Man... I loved this game as a kid. The farthest I ever got was the cave boss.
>>
>>2909374
Keep hopping, don't stay in one place too long. Get a hit in and move.

You can do it; if you got past all the other esoteric bullshit this game throws at you, you can do it.
>>
>>2906762

That game's system is so brutal. Win, BUT NOT TOO WELL! Do this special thing that nobody tells you about!! Ugh it's so Japanese. It's pretty cool in its way though, yeah.
>>
>>2906789

Or we could just declare that it counts as you beating the game if anybody in the world beats the game. It's not like there's a god somewhere that will only mark your victory on an objectively real cosmic leaderboard if you play it without objectively having cheated. You can just say you won a game without even knowing the game exists, let alone playing it, let alone playing it without cheating--and nobody can prove that you or anything else in the universe is any different than it would have been if you had actually played and finished it. No need for any army of servants.

But that, like your suggestion, would be pretty obviously opposed to the spirit of the thing.
>>
>>2909374

That's a tough one. It's doable though, if you're that skilled. Keep at it and you can make it.

Then try Wizards & Warriors III. It's totally different and still pretty good, albeit a bit flawed. And the ending... well, play it and see.
>>
>>2909510
What he was talking about really wasn't cheating though, it was practicing. Maybe it's "more legitimate" to play through The Machine over and over every time you die. But even though that's what I did and Ecco is one of my favorite games, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for wanting to practice on the queen to save time.

Actually, using cheats to practice is the advice I usually give to people trying to get into Giares which has been mentioned in this thread already as well. Even when you know what you're doing and what attacks to absorb for which parts of the game it's crazy hard. I see nothing wrong turning on invincibility to try things out.

All either is really doing is speeding up how quickly you're learning. And really, it's always just a game. You're supposed to be playing it for fun. Who anywhere is going to care exactly how you finally beat it.
>>
>>2906261
Amagon.
>>
>Digimon world

Can never finish it. So damn hard to recruit all those digimon and it seems you never raise the ideal one for whatever you're gonna recruit next. I didn't know anyone who finished it
>>
File: cover_large.jpg (93 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
cover_large.jpg
93 KB, 600x448
>Get lost
>Get lost some more
>Get even losterer
>Finally get to Moria somehow
>"Uh, yeah, sorry but you need to go find all of these pendants scattered throughout the earlier areas if you want to proceed."

Fuck it.
>>
>>2906353
>>2906802
Thanks, will give it a try soon, haven't touched the game in almost a year.
>>
The first TMNT game for the NES. I don't even struggle with the dam level, I just slowly bleed health in different rooms where the enemies respawn if you retreat and advance one measly pixel.

>>2909274
Same here. Gave up after a day though since Hero didn't live up to my expectations after 64.
>>
>>2911637
Play 2nd attack.
>>
>>2909280
Erm, did you miss the 8 bit graphics?
>>
>>2906261
Ugh...it took me *forever* to get past the last few levels in Castlevania 3.
>>
>>2906856
I get a little bit past this house and immediately die. Never got further than that.
>>
Contra and Super C, I'll never do it, I love the games but its impossible.
>>
FF VI. I just can not get to Kefka.
>>
File: co.webm (3 MB, 800x614) Image search: [Google]
co.webm
3 MB, 800x614
Cotton on the PC Engine,the last two levels drain your continues fast.
>>
Knights of the Round and Armored Warriors are the two Capcom beat 'em ups i will never beat (1cc)
>>
>>2914270
Contra is fucking easy man. once you memorize the maps, your golden. I used to beat Super C with no deaths.
>>
>>2906261
What game is this?
>>
I just set up my NES today for the first time in 10 years, so that I could try beating the games I couldn't as a kid. I started with pic related and got way farther than I ever did as a kid. There's even a place to farm for lives right before the last level. I'll probably finish it later tonight.

After that, the only games I could never beat were TMNT and Batman.

Also, I just bought a copy of Xanadu. How hard is it compared to, say, TMNT, Ghostbuster 2, and Metroid?
>>
>>2911334
Holy shit this.

Someone in your party dies they're just dead forever. This game made no sense and I just plugged away forever at it as a dumb kid.
>>
File: gfs_49855_3_1.jpg (21 KB, 507x474) Image search: [Google]
gfs_49855_3_1.jpg
21 KB, 507x474
>>2917292
I just beat Rocky and Bullwinkle, holy shit it's so bad. You just walk to the end of a room like any other, see pic related, then it just goes back to the title.

I also tried Batman and got to the last level, got too tired to get good at it, though. Will try again tomorrow.
>>
>>2906286
>Le Shouty Youtube Man
Which one? There's like 30 at least that are somewhat internet famous.
>>
>>2917617

you ween
>>
File: tmp_32562-letter061321017470.jpg (43 KB, 320x313) Image search: [Google]
tmp_32562-letter061321017470.jpg
43 KB, 320x313
>"A lot of people call me for tips. I tell them, 'Don't give up! You can do it if you really want!' I also tell them to stay away from drugs."
>>
SOR 2, Revenge of Shinobi
Always make it to the final boss and I end up using all my continues...I keep telling myself, this will be it! Just my luck

Shining Force 2
Made it to the final dungeon, and then my save got lost....been taking me nearly a decade to beat.
>>
>>2917292
>the only games I could never beat were TMNT
How to beat TMNT:
Get to level 3.
SouthWest corner of Level 3 has a sewer basement with Pizza, and the room leading to the basement on the right hand side has Scrolls. Grind in this area until all four turtles have full health and shittons of scrolls.
Learn how to get through level 4 without losing lots of health.
Learn how to drop through the instant death wall rooms in level 4 without dying.
Learn how to rush to the boss of level 5 while spamming scrolls and taking as little damage as possible.
Learn how to survive the Technodrome
Learn how to survive the infamous hallway before Shredder
Laugh at how easy Shredder is to beat.
It's really not that hard compared to Ninja Gaiden games or even the Castlevania games. The game is just designed to be unfair and expects you to play dirty.
>>
>>2917635
>"why I look just as good as I use to, I have bulk up a little bit ,and I also added 3 more inches to my cock , now its 10 1/2 inches long ,with all those chicks pulling on it ,figthing over it"
>>
>>2917635

Wasn't it seanbaby who supposedly got into e-contact with that guy and he started talking about how awesome his plumbing job is along with all the drugs and pussy? I imagine and hope that was all bullshit.
>>
File: 2364687-snes_unsquadron.jpg (644 KB, 2100x1524) Image search: [Google]
2364687-snes_unsquadron.jpg
644 KB, 2100x1524
This.

I'll be the first to admit that my shmup skills are weak as fuck, but as much as I loved the Area 88 OVA's and as inherently awesome as this game is, I can never seem to patiently invest time into completing it.

As I grew up some went back to it, I realized you have the option of choosing stages based on enemy AI movement.

That helped....some, but I never did complete it.

Like I said, my shmup skills are fucked. I had to constantly resort to using my special weapons which are limited and you have to shoot down enemies in order to accrue money to BUY THEM so trying to cluster bomb my way through a stage never worked out.

Still though, it's a beautifully crafted game.
The music and visual aesthetic of it all are great.

I just don't know what the end looks like.
>>
>>2917654
> the tugging!

>>2917682
Someone said they knew him and got in contact with Mark and then passed Seanbaby his info.

I don't think it was bullshit, Seanbaby didn't need to lie for comedy's sake. He would just make an article funny from hypothetical situations.

To think, he was the comedy Pewdiepie of the early internet... if he were as popular now as he was then... he'd be a multi-millionaire.

A shame he never tried to do anything to actually make money like write a book or something.

Now he's what? Like an app programmer? What a waste of talent.
>>
>>2917639
Thanks, you do make it sound easy. The Technodrome level was the only part that gave absolutely halted my progress when I was a kid. I never thought to grind for scrolls. I'll give it a go.
>>
>>2917639
It usually isn't fun when you have to play dirty to win, even if it is designed that way. It always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
>>
File: adom-05-ascii[1].png (3 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
adom-05-ascii[1].png
3 KB, 720x400
I played this game on and off for 10 years and only once got to character level 21. I've resigned it since that I'll never beat it. I still install it in some false hope, and then it eats me anyway.
>>
>>2918207
I always got stuck at a jump near the end of Level 3. Years later I came back and got past the jump, then I didn't rest until I could beat the bastard. I was surprised just how much of a life-draining slog the last two levels are.

>>2918263
You don't have to grind the scrolls, but it will make surviving the last two levels difficult due to the amount of enemies that get thrown at you. I've also heard people say they can get past the hallway before Shredder without using screen scrolling, but it's easier to do it this way. You don't have to make it easy, but it's highly recommended.
>>
>>2917706
Seanbaby did something that no e-celebs today do... which is read the fucking instruction booklet.

So much insane bullshit is written on these things especially the Konami American division. They straight up fabricated plot.
>>
>>2909421
There's a trick where you switch characters and then hit the boss before it can attack you. Do that until you beat it.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.