[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to play Final Fantasy, since I never had the chance to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: ff1logo.gif (17 KB, 450x295) Image search: [Google]
ff1logo.gif
17 KB, 450x295
I want to play Final Fantasy, since I never had the chance to do so when I was a kid

Should I follow the full trail 1-8 (The rest are not really in my interest) or should I ignore some shitty releases?
>>
>>2905606
You can if you want, just play the game that interest you since there is no canon or universal storyline or whatever. I recommend FF3, FF5, and FF6 personally.
>>
>>2905606
GBA or PSP version of FF1 and 2 if you want something easier, PSX if you want a polished but original experience.

NES or PSP version of Final Fantasy 3, your choice.

DS version of FF4 if you want a challenge, SNES or GBA otherwise. Same with FF5 and 6. If you play 6 on the GBA, apply the color patch.

Your choice of PC port or PSX original of FF7.

PSX of 8 and 9.
>>
>>2905606
It depends on how much you like older RPGs.

2 is almost universally considered the worst and everyone recommends skipping it. I would personally recommend skipping over 1 and 3 as well because I'm not a huge fan of 8-bit RPGs, and both of those games were released before the Final Fantasy series started to develop more intricate stories (which is important to me in an RPG), but if those things aren't a big deal to you, you might like them.

4 is the first one I can recommend wholeheartedly, 6 is amazing too. I've never played 5 but a lot of people like it. Starting with the Playstation FFs isn't bad either. Basically I wouldn't recommend playing through them all in order, but instead skipping around based on what looks good to you. If you played them in order, you'd probably get burned out before you got to 6 and 7, which many people consider to be two of the best.

Is there a reason you're willing to go up through 8 and not play 9? 9 is my personal favorite, I can't recommend it enough.
>>
>>2905615
On this same note, if you like the Job System FFs (3 and 5), then get 4 Heroes of Light and Bravely Default for the DS and 3DS.
>>
>>2905606

>doesn't want to play 9

Might as well skip the first 6 games too.
>>
File: 1296577740270.jpg (3 MB, 2774x1985) Image search: [Google]
1296577740270.jpg
3 MB, 2774x1985
>>2905606
>the full trail 1-8 (The rest are not really in my interest)

>not wanting to play 9

explain your bullshit OP
>>
File: default-700x695.jpg (125 KB, 700x695) Image search: [Google]
default-700x695.jpg
125 KB, 700x695
>>2905627
>4 Heroes of Light and Bravely Default

OK, I liked Bravely Default until the game started repeating itself. Is 4 Heroes of Light better/different?
>>
>>2905606
I dunno how old you are, or what games you like, but some of these games are more polished than others. If you haven't played a lot of older JRPG's, then you might want to start at 6.

I'd say 4 is the best of the early FF's though, and 2 is the worst. DS ports of 3 & 4 use 3D polygon characters, which I liked. I tend to avoid Steam releases.

Playing 1 just felt obligatory, 2 is terrible, 3 is meh, 4 is good, 5 isnt very good.

For what its worth, Tactics is one of the first games I ever wrapped my mind around, and that along with 8/9/12 are my favorites, but 6 on GBA and 4 on DS are very good games too.
>>
File: k8IFr7j.jpg (581 KB, 1250x850) Image search: [Google]
k8IFr7j.jpg
581 KB, 1250x850
>>2906139
not who you asked, but heroes of light just seemed silly to me, I didnt get far into it though.

>>2906137
Agreed, and lets not forget that other Square RPG worth playing...
>>
If you're big on authenticity, play the PSX version of 1. If you want a speedier experience a la Dragon Quest GBC, play the GBA version

Skip 2 entirely

Not a lot of choice for 3. You could play the original, again, if you want authenticity. PSP and DS version added in actual characters + polygonal graphics, and some degree of actual story so if you'd like that go with it.

4 again has a polygonal remake on DS, but it also adds a degree of extra difficulty. I consider FFIV way too easy on its own, so I consider that best. GBA if you want the original sprite version

GBA V

GBA VI, I consider the improved translation and bugfixes worth the tinny sound quality

VII just play the PSX version. Hurry up and enjoy it before the shitty kingdom hearts-looking remake comes out and marrs it.

VIII can be skipped unless you really love bad anime and weird gameplay mechanics.

Play IX on psx you dumb bitch, don't stop at VIII.
>>
>>2905606
>or should I ignore some shitty releases?

And how are we supposed to know which games you'll find "shitty"? You'll just have to try them for yourself. You can't rely on the arbitrary opinions of a group of strangers.

>Should I follow the full trail 1-8

I would do just that. Start with the first game, and if you're not feeling it, move onto the second, then the third, etc.

As for which versions to play, I would largely recommend the originals, except in the case of FF1 and 2. I would go with the Origins version since it fixes the numerous bugs between those two games, but doesn't throw balance out of the window like later ports do.

>>2905621
>2 is almost universally considered the worst

Speak for yourself. It was my favorite game in the series.
>>
>>2906220
weirdo.
>>
>>2905606
Just play the original releases.

>NES FF1
>SNES FF2
>SNES FF3
>PS1 FF7
>PS1 FF8
>PS1 FF9
>PS2 FF10
>PS2 FF12

You can throw in the GBA FF5 as well.

I think honestly, the only ones really worth playing are:

>1
>3
>5
>7
>8
>10
>12

Everything else is kinda shit. Yes including 6. I firmly believe FF6 to be the most over rated FF.
>>
Hopefully OP is thoroughly confused at this point.
>>
>>2905606
Ignore some shitty releases.
So basically just play 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6. The rest are garbage.
>>
/vr/ Final Fantasy versions faq: http://pastebin.com/qZighVrF

I'm enjoying 2 quite a lot right now, and yes I'm aware of the criticisms. Also one of the best OSTs on that console.
>>
>>2905606
My first proper FF was 10
It's an amazing experience.
>>
>>2905606
>Should I follow the full trail 1-8
Might as well, if you're a bad enough dude. (Not that any main FF is truly hard, mind you)

No remakes, see the series evolve as you play through them.
>>
>>2906368
I agree, original releases are the best.
But fuck off, for throwing 9 away and putting 10 instead.
>>
>>2906139
>I liked Bravely Default until the game started repeating itself
Yeah that was pretty shit on Square's part, but the true end is worth it.
>>
>>2906121
I could see someone not liking 9 and liking the earlier ones, especially 1-3 and 5. 9's strongest similarity with the earlier games is the aesthetics.
>>
>>2906410
>/vr/ Final Fantasy versions faq

Pretty sure there was no consensus among /vr/ users regarding this "FAQ." It looks like one Anon's commentary, and a questionable one at that.

>recommending Square Enix ports or translations

No. Just... no.
>>
Honestly I suggest FF1 nes, I blazed through the gba/psp remakes and don't remember it very well since they were super easy. But when I came back to play the NES version I started learning the tricks on staying alive, proper targeting, and just in general having fun learning the game. It's not for everyone though and the game is quite broken.
>>
>>2905606
start with 3 either the translated NES version or the DS remake that is also ported to steam and android. first one is so outdated and the second one is worse, but the third one got it right. and they were good ever since until 10. also 8 is a bit weird but enjoyable. you should defiantly play 9 if you enjoy any of the old games and 7 or 8.
>>
File: image.png (298 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
image.png
298 KB, 600x512
>>2905606
>wants to play 1-5
>no interest in 9
>>
>>2906410
Are you people seriously STILL using that incorrect pastebin? It's wrong for almost every single /vr/ Final Fantasy, except for 9 and for obvious reasons.
>>
ff 1-3 is shit .
ff 4,5 are ok .
ff 6,7 are probably best games ever made.
ff 8 ok
ff 9 great
ff 10 great
>>
>>2909808

you act like 3 is any better at all. The game throws you into mandatory hoops of making your characters specific classes at certain times. FF2 is super open ended but a little boring at times while FF1 is completely broken but maintains a certain flexibility. FF3 is just as flawed in its own trilogy.
>>
>>2909789
>>2910024
broken?
>>
>>2905606
I think playing the original versions are best, maybe adding in hacks that restore or fix content.
Final Fantasy I I'd go with Restored. Some say the font is an eyesore though but there are options to change that.
With IV, there is the J2E translation, Project II, or Namingway Edition.
For V there is Legend of the Crystals that fixes a lot of issues with the original fan translation.
I think a lot of people on vr are fans of Woolsey Uncensored Edition for VI. There is always a toss up between that and the GBA with the sound, color, and uncensoring patches.
>>
Try Remnants first.
>>
>>2910209

Some spells just don't work like Temper (even some spells will just fuck you up). Swords that affect races and such do no such extra damage. But as long as you read up on that stuff the NES version of the game is still playable, it's just unfortunate you can't trust everything you come across.
>>
>>2905606
>just 1-8
>not 9

You seem to have fucked up there, paterfamilias
>>
>>2906182
This dude knows what he is talking about

You really should play VII on the PSX because the PS4 rerelease has the cheater button

Also play Tactics if that's your thing
>>
>>2905606
DO NOT PLAY FINAL FANTASY 2! IT IS ONE OF THE WORST GAMES OF ALL TIME!
>>
>>2905606
1, 5, and 6 are my faves.

1 lets you pick your party at the start and is short and simple with minimal cutscenes and bullshit. Most straightforward game in the series.

5 has the class changing system from 3 only vastly improved.

6 has the best atmosphere and characters and a (limited) 2 Player mode.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.