[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good after market controllers or should I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: m07016_01.jpg (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
m07016_01.jpg
58 KB, 600x600
Are there any good after market controllers or should I just stick with getting the originals? Bought one of these awhile back and the d-pad felt incredibly stiff and the C and Z buttons squeak whenever I pressed them.
>>
>>2905182

it depends. but, after market 6-button genesis controllers are notoriously shitty quality, and the one in OP look to be no different.
>>
It can be difficult to get original controllers in usable condition and all third party controllers are garbage, despite people claiming otherwise.

The same is true for almost every console.
>>
The Hori FC4 is pretty good if you want a controller with 6 face buttons, and the Buffalo SNES pad is a really cheap and surprisingly high quality option for games that don't require more than 8 buttons. Logitech controllers are probably the best you can get with native xinput support. Aside from that, stick with originals.
>>
>>2905192
I'm mainly just talking about 6-button Genesis controllers. I already have a normal one but I don't wanna hand a friend the god awful after market one I got while playing a two player game.
>>
>>2905182
I can't recommend pic related enough OP. Very comfortable for people with smallish hands like me who struggle with the stock 3-button controller and has all the switches and stuff you'll ever need. The d-pad looks wonky but it feels nice, smooth and doesn't lead to misspresses. It's also basically made for brawlers/shootan games.
>>
File: 1443515412887.jpg (24 KB, 570x574) Image search: [Google]
1443515412887.jpg
24 KB, 570x574
>>2905232
>It's also basically made for brawlers/shootan games.

Those are what I play the most so that sounds perfect.
>>
>>2905238
I remembered there was just one little problem though, at least with mine. You really need to push it inside the controller port because it's a little loose, this doesn't happen with official controllers.
>>
>>2905232
Dude I'm a grown-ass 6'2" tall man with some large mitts and I find the 3-button controller to be too big.
>>
Unless somehow you have the ability to destroy Genesis d-pads, I'd say get a 6 button 1st party controller and replace the rubber contacts inside of it with the 3rd party ones whenever you feel you're losing inputs.
>>
>>2905461
Unless the rubbers actually split then a simple clean should suffice.
>>
File: product-large-RB-SNES-0193.jpg (167 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
product-large-RB-SNES-0193.jpg
167 KB, 800x800
Earlier RetroBit controllers are the biggest crapshoot. I've got pic related and it's great, yet I've also got one from them that's absolutely atrocious and doesn't even fucking work.
They have gotten better though. RetroBit Six Button pads are alright. They get the job done but they aren't really remarkable.
>>
>>2905182
The High Frequency Genesis pads seem to be pretty good to me. I own two of them and am a big guy (6'4") so they fit my hand well.

http://www.lukiegames.com/Used-Sega-Genesis-High-Frequency-Controller_p_22223.html
>>
From experience, no.

You're better off getting a third party from that gen.
>>
>>2905576
among the subtlest baneposts i've ever seen
>>
File: 320px-MadCatz6_MD.jpg (15 KB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
320px-MadCatz6_MD.jpg
15 KB, 320x214
>>2905182
this one is nice if you like bigger size but still want that floating dpad
also exists under various other brands such as gamester and high frequency
>>
>>2905232
I had the PC gameport version back then, and after a while those µswitches wear out.
>>
>>2905729
also has a SNES brother
>Floating dpad on snes
>>
>>2905712
Perhaps for you.
>>
I was Nintendo for life but am a recent convert to floating dpad
>>
>>2905381
I found it fine as a kid and I have tiny hands even now.
>>
I don't understand why aftermarket controllers are always so shitty.
I mean, I could understand for modern controllers that have triggers and analogue sticks and all sorts of weird shit going on, but we're just talking about plain old digital buttons.

I've taken plenty of controllers apart, but standard and brand-x. In general, it's such a simple concept. There is a plastic button that pushes down on a little rubber plunger with conductive material on the bottom. When this depresses, it makes contact with the board and completes a circuit. Not hard to understand.

And all the brand-name pads from all the major companies like sega, nintendo, microsoft, and sony all use this same concept and make their buttons in the same fundamental way. They're all the same inside and it's why they all have buttons that feel fine. But then you take apart the aftermarket controllers, and they're just made completely differently. They still operate on the same basic principle, but the pads and buttons are all shaped weird and fundamentally differently underneath. You have to question WHY they would fucking do this.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.