[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sega CD questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: segacdjacks.jpg (42 KB, 634x485) Image search: [Google]
segacdjacks.jpg
42 KB, 634x485
A model 2 Sega CD and a model 2 Genesis are merged. Does the audio sound better if one uses the RCA audio jacks on the SegaCD rather than staying with the AV cable coming out the Genesis?
If you use the SegaCD RCA audio jacks and play a regular Genesis game (or 32X game) will you still get sound?
I know that music CDs play sound with the regular Genesis AV cable plugged into the TV.
What does the mixing port do?

How many metal pieces come with the SEGA CD (and the 32X)?
What happens if you are missing some or all of these pieces?

Does have the Sega CD installed (or the 32X installed) prevent you from using the powerbase converter (or playing SMS ROMS on an everdrive)?
>>
>>2904502
Wow which YouTuber did you get that from, kid?
>>
Good choice on the model 2 Gen and model 2 SCD, easily the sexiest looking combo.

>"What happens if you are missing some or all of these pieces?"

Literally nothing. They're included to comply with FCC guidelines concerning radio interference. Hypothetically they could disrupt devices nearby but if you have no troubles with this, the metal bits are not necessary.

Also I recommend you check out Soulstar and the Misadventures of Flink.
>>
>>2904460
>merged
When are you even trying to say? Did your dad welded them together to play PSX?
>>
>>2904460
The mixing port is to get stereo sound from a MD1. You connected the headphone jack of the MD1 to the mixing port, and then you could output stereo through the RCA jacks.

The MD2 could output stereo from the a/v port so you don't have to use that thing there. Not sure what the RCA ports will output if the mixing port is not there though, maybe the sega cd part of the sound only?

>>2904583
>They're included to comply with FCC guidelines concerning radio interference.

IIRC they also stabilize the setup physically.

There should be one base plate for both types of Megadrives to go on to the CD, one plate to connect the side extender in case you put a MD1 on the CD, one thinner metal plate between the MD and 32x cart slots, and one plastic plate to stabilize the 32x on a MD2 since that one has a lower profile than a MD1.
>>
>>2904604
He means the sega cd and sega genesis 2 are being used together you stupid fuck
>>
The mixing port is for the model one, the model one Megadrive only outputs fm synth sounds itself, while the Mega CD only outputs CD audio. So if you don't want to connect them to some speakers or your tv separately then you need to plug a line in cable from the megadrives headphone jack to the mixer jack on the Mega CD. Then you can just connect the Mega CD to your TV or speakers.

I assume the model 2 allows for audio to be sent between them through the expansion port. I've heard the quality is better from the Mega CD's audio out rather than the Megadrive, but I don't know if it's strictly necessary.

If you wanna check it's connected up right just play a game and see if you can hear everything, Sonic CD is a great game to use, the music is from the CD and the jump sounds from the Megadrive itself, if you can hear both you're all good.
>>
>>2904963
If you're not OP how do you know? That's not what the word "merged" means.
>>
>>2904460
>>Does have the Sega CD installed (or the 32X installed) prevent you from using the powerbase converter (or playing SMS ROMS on an everdrive)?
Nope. I'm not sure if the convertor physically fits on top of the 32X or not but the flashcart will still play MS roms regardless of your add ons. No reason it wouldn't.
And allow me to give you a protip: Have the Mega CD plugged in at all times when using the MD or the one power supply will attempt to power both units. This is not a good thing.
>>
>>2906462
Why, will the power supply of the Genesis burn out?

I'd like to free up some space on my power bar.
>>
>>2906542
I'm sure somebody who can into electronics could explain it properly but either the power supply or the console itself is gonna have a much shorter lifespan. Can't really remember, I'm just trying to repeat what somebody more knowledgeable about this said once.
>>
>>2906561
What about this trick of using a special cable to transfer power to the 32X from the Genesis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmEfnsug6tM
Will this also reduce the lifespan of the Genesis?
Will transmitting power along with AV degrade the signal quality?
>>
>>2906676
You mean rambling on for 10 minutes about how you don't know anything about electronics is a trick to get people to listen anyway? Well yes. In that case you tricked me.

The AV plug was designed from the beginning to carry voltage. Taking advantage of that won't degrade the signal quality and won't reduce the lifespan of the Genesis in itself. However if your power supply isn't strong enough it will die with a small chance of potentially taking your Genesis with it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.