[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which would be the better way to play FFVII: Playstation emulator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: c.jpg (32 KB, 307x304) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
32 KB, 307x304
Which would be the better way to play FFVII: Playstation emulator or Windows version?
>>
>>2904315
bumpin' because I'm curious too

I know the windows version has the Beacause translation patch, but I heard it had framerate issues? I've been holding off on playing the game at all
>>
You want the Windows version patched with the Playstation music. HD patch depending on your personal tastes.
>>
PS4 version.
>>
>>2904315
PS1 version because of fastforward.
>>
>>2904315
If you have an old box with an awesome soundcard and 3DFX card in it, the classic Windows version.

But you don't, so the Playstation version may be better than that on a modern PC. I can't comment on re-releases but avoid any 'HD' rubbish, surely we've all seen the nightmare fuel screenshots by now. Just don't even.
>>
>>2904315
Windows version has higher resolution so the models look extra pointy, but the pre-rendered backgrounds are still 320x240, so it looks a little weird.

Both versions are fine, really somewhat negligible in terms of overall experience.
>>
>>2904315
ps1 version on the ps1. full of glitches, exploits and shitty translation "just like the devs intended". Its a beautiful thing.
>>
>>2904315
The remake. Obviously.
>>
>>2904315
Which one has the better music?
>>
>>2904320
>I know the windows version has the Beacause translation patch

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2340/
Here you go, but be aware that it's picky with the isos.
>>
deleting the ISO and downloading xenogears instead
>>
>>2904752
You mean reading
>>
>>2904315
Original PS1 or Ultima modded version of the original PC version. Square doesnt deserve more money for the recent Steam version of FFVII.
>>
File: 1447485513537.jpg (108 KB, 670x502) Image search: [Google]
1447485513537.jpg
108 KB, 670x502
>>2904803
Clearly the second
>>
is there a rom hack to have all 9 characters through out the whole game?
>>
File: giphy.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>mfw people actually believe the Steam port is the first time FF7 has been ported to PC
>>
I bought the steam version during the steam sale but have yet to play it. Perhaps I should return it and buy it for the PS1?
>>
>>2904818
Is that the remake? What happen to Barrets pimp sunglasses yo.
>>
>>2904897
It's the most stable port I believe
>>
>>2905396
>I should return it and buy it for the PS1?

Yes and yes
You don't like to collect shit?
>>
>>2904897
Before steam, it used MIDI, which was a crime against nature.
>>
>>2904315
I play it in bed on psp, i also play snes/gameboy games on it.
Cant complain.
>>
PS1 on a CRT is the only way to play unless you want to get eye cancer from the pre-rendered backgrounds.
>>
PC version with Aali's Custom Graphics Driver installed is the way to go. Avoid mods like this one >>2904818 because they look absolutely fucking retarded.
>>
>>2905775
nah, with the correct soundfont it can sound almost identical to the PS1 version.

Just most sound cards at the time didn't do sound fonts (unless you had an AWE64 or something).
(These days it's generally all in software, it's a whole 'nother nest of bees desu)
>>
ps1 version on a crt becuase playing the pc version on a modern display makes everything look even worse
>>
>>2904315
I own both the ps1 version (PAL giant letterbox edition) and the old school etched disc pc version.

Just play the ps1 version. The translation differences are minimal and neither of them really make that much sense. You'll still need to read a guide to understand some of the intricacies.

But the ps1 version runs well, has better music, has no controller issues and has never crashed on me. I had one heck of a time with the pc version let me give you a few examples:

1) The game refused to let me install it on my home pc as it said it had no cd drive. WHY WOULD A CD INSTALL EVEN CHECK FOR THAT. So I couldn't install it despite having the two speed cd drive it wanted, so I had to install it on my dad's work laptop.

2) By default the controls are set as the num pad. My dad's laptop didn't have a num pad, you had to hold down function to hit those buttons. It wouldn't let me change this until after the first reactor. I couldn't RUN until after the first sodding reactor. In or outside of battle!

3) Fucking thing crashed on the final boss when I summoned neo bahamut. FUCKKKKK.
>>
Steam Version wih 7th Heaven Mod
>>
>>2907584
>1) The game refused to let me install it on my home pc as it said it had no cd drive. WHY WOULD A CD INSTALL EVEN CHECK FOR THAT. So I couldn't install it despite having the two speed cd drive it wanted, so I had to install it on my dad's work laptop.
That's the fault of your computer, not the game. Install device drivers properly. Why don't you just make a disc image and play from that?
>2) By default the controls are set as the num pad. My dad's laptop didn't have a num pad, you had to hold down function to hit those buttons. It wouldn't let me change this until after the first reactor. I couldn't RUN until after the first sodding reactor. In or outside of battle!
This is simply bullshit. I've recently started playing the PC version and you can configure the controls from the second the game begins.
>3) Fucking thing crashed on the final boss when I summoned neo bahamut. FUCKKKKK.
I've had no crashes and played the game all the way through. If your inability to install CD drive software is anything to go by, your PC is probably poorly managed.
>>
>>2907669
Wot a daft cunt. The dude was clearly talking in the very past tense. These were obviously problems he had on some Windows 98 toaster 15 years ago, m8. You, on the other hand, I bet you're talking about the Steam version.
>>
>>2907669
>The dude was clearly talking in the very past tense. These were obviously problems he had on some Windows 98 toaster 15 years ago, m8.
a) I never had problems on my own Windows 98 toaster
b) That context makes anon's comments even more irrelevant and out of date
>You, on the other hand, I bet you're talking about the Steam version.
Nope, PC version with Windows 7. Objectively the best version on any platform.
>>
>>2909320
My experience == your experience
>>
>>2909350
>My experience == your experience
Exactly, so no need to mention personal problems with drive detection when someone asks about a game.
>>
>>2909320
your a fucking idiot, the only reason the steam version works was because fans made a myriad of patches and fixes along the years
the original port was abysmal
>>
>>2909360
>the original port was abysmal
I'm all ears.
>>
kids these days think they are highly cultured just because they know how to install a cd driver
try doing that shit without internet in the 90s when most drivers didn't even name the manufacturer
>>
>>2909363
>try doing that shit without internet in the 90s when most drivers didn't even name the manufacturer
I already told you here >>2909320, I did manage to install hardware correctly in 1998. The fact that you couldn't isn't the fault of the game.
>>
File: IMG_20160111_215713.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_215713.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2909368
Ok firstly, that wasn't me replying. I have only just checked this thread again to see what a huge cunt you're being about me relating my experiences. So seeing as there is obviously some confusion here as to the circumstances I was playing it under, let me help.

Pic related is the minimum specs for FF7 PC from back in 96. My computer matched them exactly. Guy in EB even asked me what computer I had (I remember because it is the only time I have ever been asked, which was weird) and when I told him he said "you realise that is the absolute specs for this game, right?" and I said "but it *will* run, right?"

Turned out no. The game apparently only recognised your cd drive if it came from one of two manufacturers. Why the fuck it checked to see if you had a cd-rom drive at all I don't know, as you had to run the game off the cd. As for why I didn't patch it? It was 1996, I didn't get a modem until that Christmas. As for why I didn't make a disc image and run it off that? It was 1996! My hard drive was measured in mb and the game came on four fucking discs!

My dad's laptop was some IBM thing I think. Probably a thinkpad. Black with a red mouseman. As for changing the controls before you left the reactor, maybe you could? But you have to remember, I had to use the broken controls to access the menu, and I didn't know my way around that menu and there was a big countdown timer ticking down. It wasn't like when I changed them it was great either. L2 and R2 had to be on different rows of the keyboard so they could both be pressed at the same time!

As for "oh my pc never crashed I'm running it under windows 7" go fuck yourself. I was running it on a fucking IBM thinkpad laptop circa 1996 you prick. From my dad's work. If I'd have tried to edit the memory or graphics settings he'd have gone nuts at me. Fucking thing crashed and crashed a lot.

Tl;dr eat a dick you cunt. OP play the ps1 version, it has less problems and the only differences are pretty minor.
>>
>>2910087
you fucking son of a bitch.
He should buy it on steam for 12,99 , instead of emulating on ePSXe.

Steam-Version has original PSX sound, typos fixed and upscaled graphics.
>>
>>2904315
>Windows version

If you want a lot of additional registry issues, use the PC port. Or just struggle setting up an emulator and it just werks from there on.
>>
>>2904315
windows version has mods.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.