[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Neo Geo Pocket Reproduction Cart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: neocart1.gif (13 KB, 680x532) Image search: [Google]
neocart1.gif
13 KB, 680x532
I want to make a NGP reproduction cart, i got a bunch of sports games for cheap, and apparently the cartridge it's just a 40 PIN Roms, no extra mappers or anything in the cartridges. Problem is, i cant find what kind of ROM to use. Any ideas?
>>
>>2887502
8bit parallel, and it has a WE pin which is usually Write Enable, so it's probably not actually a ROM. IIRC the NGPC used Flash, so probably the NGP did too. I can't find any with that same pinout, and I don't know what voltage it needs (maybe you'll need a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage for modern Flash), and I don't know the timing requirements. Look for 8bit NOR Flash.
>>
>>2887502
Pretty sure using flash is going to be easier than getting some manufacture to mask some chips that haven't been produced in ages
>>
>>2887550
>maybe you'll need a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage for modern Flash
And if you do, also some kind of buffer chip for the signal lines.
>>
Original NGP carts all used flash storage, this is why none of them had battery-backed saves and why using a ROM dumper also captures whatever save data is on the cartridge
>>
>>2887570
Its probably easier to just use the correct voltage memory. It's not like either is hard to find or expensive. Only issue is if you need to match some obscure pinout
>>
God i love this board. Thanks, everyone.
>>
>>2887502
I would just order a pin-compatible EEPROM memory (or if you can design the traces on the PCB, anything really). This isn't very flexible though.

If you want to make your own flashcart, it would be easy to put together from parts off digikey and at worst a canabilzed cart. All it needs to do is integrate a serial->parallel interface between, say, your SD card and the console. Once you get over how simple implementations typically are, you begin to recognize that computers are put together in appalling logical ways.
>>
>>2888243
>All it needs to do is integrate a serial->parallel interface between, say, your SD card and the console.
SD cards are far too slow for direct code execution, you'll also need some EEPROM or NOR Flash and a microcontroller to copy it there before use.
>>
>>2887564
you have heard of EPROMs, haven't you?

>>2887570
depends on the voltage required, he may not need anything if it's a 5V Flash ROM
>>
>>2888785
I thought this may be an issue, but can't you access SDs faster than a ~5MHz computer? I've only implemented my own piggy-backed EEPROM on an existing cart to test my hacks on my console. I've had interest in designing a general purpose flash cart, but haven't seriously tried to make one yet,
>>
>>2888846
SD cards can be fast for bulk transfer, but they have very bad random access performance.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.