[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you collect for systems with a high failure rate? Say
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Atari Jaguar CD box 2.jpg (76 KB, 987x715) Image search: [Google]
Atari Jaguar CD box 2.jpg
76 KB, 987x715
How do you collect for systems with a high failure rate?

Say I want to get a Jaguar CD, or a PS2. How am I supposed to buy games for it, knowing that it could die at any time, through no fault of my own?
>>
$$$ and backups.
>>
If using these systems you should use a method that doesn't use optical discs.

For example, with the PS2 I use FreeMcboot to run Open PS Loader and play games from the IDE hard drive I installed in my PS2.

For Dreamcast and Saturn there are SD card loader options.

Unfortunately for Jaguar CD there isn't anything like that, probably for a good reason.
>>
PS2's are cheap as fuck, buy a load of spare ones.
>>
I still have my very first PS2 that I got like 14 years ago. Maybe I'm just lucky?
>>
Get the Slim version of the PS2. Hell, get several like >>2886494 alluded to since prices really are about as low as they're gonna get. The Slims use a simpler top-loading design (no failed tray motors to worry about) and simpler mobo's with any lingering hardware bugs ironed out. They are generally more reliable except for very late-release models (disc scratching problems).

I don't give two shits about Atari's last incompetent hurrah, so I couldn't give you pertinent advice on the Jag CD except don't fucking buy it. Even a 32x is better.
>>
>>2886490

Listen to this guy.
>>
File: IMAG0343_1.jpg (476 KB, 2048x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0343_1.jpg
476 KB, 2048x1520
>>2886490
Why not load FHDB to the drive instead? I also found 3.5" IDE drives to be far too noisy as the PS2 case seems to act as a sounding board and you get horrible booming. If you can track down a Sugoi IDE to SATA adaptor you can plonk any old 2.5" laptop drive in there, even an SSD if you're a little bit mental...

>>2886524
Just no. PS2 slim a shit
>>
>>2886524
Why not use burned discs?
>>
>>2886567
You're right, I was just never able to find a cheap IDE to SATA adapter (I also didn't have SATA drive at the time). Will look into this in the future if my IDE drive craps out.

Also FHDB seems to have a pretty slow boot time compared to Memory card booting.
>>
>>2886567
>PS2 slim a shit

How come? Not OP but I was considering getting one.
>>
>>2886764
It's not possible to hook up an HDD to Slim.
It's like the same way I chose 7xxx PSX over 9xxx or PSOnes because serial port.
>>2886567
Sad it's going to cost $50 USD for me and it's the same price I bought a PS2.
>>
>>2886508
Same here, what's everyone talking about? Do PS2's fail a lot or something?
>>
>>2886820
The launch ps2s didn't have grease on the DVD drive track so they were prone to drive failure. Besides that they're extremely reliable.
>>
>>2886780
That is a shame. I was lucky enough to pick one up for 5 bucks.

There are other cheap solutions out there but that's the only plug and play one I'm aware of.
>>
>>2886832
Mine's been rocking problem free since launch day 2000.

Only disc I've ever had (intermittent) issues with was Quake 3 but I believe that's just a dodgy pressing.
>>
>>2886832
Thanks for the response. I've never heard that before, though my PS2's not a launch version.
>>
>>2886820
your lucky
I went through 4 generation 1 ps2s before i got a slim that didnt break on me
>>
>>2886449
I don't buy from burgerland. All my ps2s are in excellent condition.

>>2886780
Some models you can and as others have pointed out SMB is fine for most things. And then there's always the standard drive which can last a long time if you treat it right. Also they cost fuck all so if you don't have spares you're just silly and super poor.
>>
>>2887970
Yeah but if you end up with an SCPH-9xxxxx slim you can't even run FMCB from a memory card so then you're super-fuckaroo'd even accessing an SMB share.

Safer to stick to fat models if you want to do anything beyond simply playing shop-bought games on it.
>>
>>2887983
This right here.

I have plenty of legit games so I DO use my slim, but the fat + internal hard drive is the way to go.
>>
>>2886567

I like mine, but the lack of HDD function does suck
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.