[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jet Set Radio Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: dljsr.jpg (110 KB, 343x339) Image search: [Google]
dljsr.jpg
110 KB, 343x339
This is probably my favorite 3D platformer of all time. What'd you think of it, /vr/? Did you like it more or less than its sequel, Future? Also who was your favorite character to play as?
>>
Beat 4 eva
>>
>>2886375
UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND. UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF LOVE.

Also I feel the first one had much more direction. Upon playing the second one after many years I was a bit disappointed.
>>
>>2886419
I'm completely the opposite. I prefer Future by a vast margin. The gameplay is a lot faster paced and the level design is amazing. I love the Dinosaur Park level with all the roller coasters to grind on. I also liked that it had a bunch of multiplayer modes.
>>
File: 46858199_p0.png (50 KB, 600x287) Image search: [Google]
46858199_p0.png
50 KB, 600x287
The original is my favorite game of all time. Tremendously rewarding, incredible atmosphere, art style and music.

Parts of Future are brilliant. Most of the first half is. But I think it really falls apart in its second half.

The Skyscraper District, Death Ball, destroying the Noise Tanks, the Underground Residential Area, Sky Dinosaurian Square... Jesus you need to repeat Death Ball like 4 times! 5 if you want to unlock Jazz.

Basically it's at its best when its most like the original, when the levels are based on real places rather than being over the top. I also think the artstyle and soundtrack aren't half as good as the originals.

I still like Future, but I bought an Xbox specifically for it back in the day and felt pretty disappointed afterwards.

Also Gum best girl obviously.
>>
I could honestly never get into this game. It's got this cool vibe with the visuals and music but I thought the gameplay was really clunky. Just not a lot of fun to play.
>>
File: M-V.jpg (9 KB, 256x128) Image search: [Google]
M-V.jpg
9 KB, 256x128
>>2886464
It takes some getting used to. The first time I played it I spend hours on Noise Reduction until everything really clicked. After that most of the game didn't seem so difficult any more.

One cool thing you can do with JSR is custom graffiti. If you have a means of transferring files to your VMU, you can use your own images in-game.
>>
>>2886482
I played the game to completion. It's just not something that I enjoyed playing and I'm probably never going to touch it again.
>>
>>2886419
Played the sequel for around an hour and found the new gameplay mechanics to suck.
>>
>>2886464
The turning and wall jumping is really clunky
I think they really tried copying Tony Hawk style controls that were popular at the time
>>
>>2886436
I think the first one had a cool style and vibe, but Future took those things and made them into basically everything I've ever wanted from a video game. JSRF is damn near perfect.
>>
>>2886458
I think this just goes to show how well 6th gen discussion would go in this board. I started a JSR general on /vg/ twice now and got like one empty response.
>>
>>2886375
Played the classic, thought it was great. Haven't played future.

I remember people getting confused about the level layout and I did too back in the day. I played it on steam recently and got the same feeling. But then I played it again after doing some time attack and it turns out the levels are connected in really cool ways. You got to plan out a route. And as the keisatsu response level goes up you gotta think about where you want to start, and where you need to be to finish.

So basically it's even better than I remember, and I thought it was a 9/10 back in the day.
>>
To me, the original was so much more fun to play than future, starting with the graffitti mechanics, also, the music from future was mostly a rehash, with close to none good new songs, i found the necessity to go to the area in need good but confusing, especially if you forgot which area was in distress, if you were at the base and you needed to go to the sewers, obviously the sewers didnt appear at the main map, you had to travel first to the sunset area and hope that further directions were provided, i found that a little confusing as to whether i was following the right path.
>>
>>2886375
>tfw xbox is bricked
>can't play Future after i loved the PC port of JSR
NEVER EVER PC FAGS
>>
>>2887639
Whatever it's worth, you can usually find Xboxes in good working condition at Goodwill for like $5.
>>
>>2887639
Just got a cheap Xbox the other week. They are really dirt cheap now that they have been rendered mostly useless by the 360 and backwards compatibility.

But if you still want to play things like JSRF that don't run well on 360 BC, or hidden gems like Phantom Dust/Crash and Breakout. Then they are really good to have.

I modded it and and enabled the HD mod with component cables and JSRF still looks really jagged though. Much like how a lot of ps2 games look really jagged when running in 480P with component.

6th gen is so ugly.
>>
>>2886514
this. future is gay.
>>
Love the soundtrack, love the style, the direction of the game, the environments. Still one of those games I go back once in awhile to replay it, be the original or Future.
About the gameplay, you need time to get good and a bit more to master this game. Because this is one of those games with trial and error where you need to know the right spots to grind->wall jump->grind dash eventually and repeat while doing graffitis.
And it's bullshit that Professor K isnt playable on the original and Future and just that Advance game that as far as I remember is an okay game.
>>2886514
>1 hour
Are you a "profissional" reviewer?
Yeah the gameplay mechanics are different, and once again, you need time to get them right and know the places of how to do shit and how to handle the trick and boost system.
Future expands a lot of the gameplay and from the 2ndcity, the sewers and the rollercoaster is where the game gets really good and addicting if you know what you are doing.

Future just doesnt have a memorable soundtrack like the original. And some enjoyed much more how the original handled the graffiti with those little "qtes" with the analog stick than just spray like in Future.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.