[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most immersive /vr/ game to you now that you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: file.png (585 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
585 KB, 1920x1080
What's the most immersive /vr/ game to you now that you're an adult?

I know it's a vague question but I just want to recapture that feeling of being completely absorbed by the world in the videogame again like when I was a kid and getting lost in a Zelda game felt like it a real forest.
>>
Link's Awakening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doX3W_8xAfo
>>
>>2886370

OoT, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid
>>
Sorry OP, that immersion was false due to having the game boy close to your face, or because the cord on your Genesis controller was too short.
>>
Why are there worms flying in the sky?
>>
>>2886370
Phantasy Star 4 does that for me OP. Without a doubt.
>>
>>2886534
>>2886370
I was goint to post this. Actually the whole Phantasy Star series' lore is immersive as fuck. I have never been more invested in a videogame that the time where I played them for the first time.
>>
File: Retro_World_by__kol.jpg (360 KB, 2000x625) Image search: [Google]
Retro_World_by__kol.jpg
360 KB, 2000x625
Many from my childhood. In OOT I could almost smell the warming field grass and taste the warm breath of the wind. I felt hot in barren Gerudo Valley, and freezing in the Ice Cavern.

In MM, I used to stand in Termina Field on the night of the 3rd and marvel at the color of the sky as the world ended in front of me. The hairs on the nape of my neck would stand up in Ikana Valley and I could almost smell the faint perfume of the petite flowers in Clocktown West.

The only games I've felt this connection with since are the BUILD holy triad (Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, especially Blood), which I only just played as an adult. Once again in Blood I could feel the cold damp air of the crypts, smell the high-sweet rot of the water-logged grass. Choke on the smog of cities that had never even herd of a "catalytic converter". In Shadow Warrior, the aromatic eastern pines smelled lovely as I butchered to my heart's content. I even fancied I could feel the wind on the nape of my neck and smell rain in the air as a storm kicked up over Zilla Construction.

I had thought my imagination lost with adulthood. But the BUILD games showed me it was just sleeping. Good luck, OP.
>>
Pretty much nothing is as good as Zelda. Beyond Good and Evil is the next best thing though.
>>
>>2886553

Nothing _was_ as good, you mean. Nintendo is pretty much milking it to death.
>>
ocarina of time, pokemon red and blue
>>
>>2886553
Beyond Good and Evil was too fucking small to be immersive.

Rayman 2 was godly.
>>
>>2888432
Rayman 2 had a top-tier atmosphere as a kid. I was mesmerized by that game.

I played the 3DS version and was surprised by how it was really... bad. Maybe I just need to play it on the TV again.
>>
>>2886370

These are games I found really immersive:

Azure Dreams
Tomba!
Super Metroid
Boku no Natsuyasumi
>>
>>2886370
>>2886431
it is insanely amazing how the 8bit gameboy game that is links awakening is easily one of the most immersive games i've ever experienced in my life... and i'm talking about the original colorless version too
>>
Super Metroid or Resident Evil 2
>>
>>2888450
I have the 3DS version too... I like the Dreamcast graphics and music, but it's a bit glitchy, the music is scratchy as fuck (seriously if you're not wearing headphones and put volume max it sounds like shit) and the 3D is fucking terrible. But if you turn off the 3D the graphics work great, better than emulating the N64 where lums don't appear properly.
>>
>>2889072
>the original colorless version
Is definitely more immersive than the color version. The power of imagination is impressive.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.