[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people dislike this again? I mean,it's clearly inferior
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 250px-Fallout_Tactics_Box[1].jpg (26 KB, 250x309) Image search: [Google]
250px-Fallout_Tactics_Box[1].jpg
26 KB, 250x309
Why do people dislike this again?
I mean,it's clearly inferior to it's predecessors but it still wasn't a cash abomination like that playstation game.
>>
>>2886226
What Playstation game?
>>
>>2886231
not /vr/ though,I just mentioned it because it's grouped with FO1,2 e tactics as the pre-bethesda games.
>>
>>2886238
oh that
i refuse to play that, it looks like shit
>>
It was always weird that burst fire hit calculations were bugged in such a way that every bullet that missed the target would automatically hit any allies in a 90 degree cone
>>
they tried to make a cRPG into a real time squad based strategy game that ended up being just too overwhelming.
They should have just given the IP to the guys with jagged alliance and asked for them to make something with the setting.
>>
I had so much trouble trying to play this.I never knew what was the optimal way to tackle combat with the whole team.
I must had done the first mission 10 times before giving up on the game.
And I made out of the temple of trials on my first time no problem.
>>
>>2886226
Despite the complete lack of character interraction like a real Fallout game, I thought it was pretty damn fun once you got the hang of it, the real-time combat feels a million times better than the original Fallout combat

>>2886250
I never had a problem with that, because I had the sense to not let my squadmates stand anywhere near the machinegunner's line of fire, or to use the full-auto shotguns anywhere close to something I wasn't looking to shoot.

Basically, side by side is fine, but if anyone is one space ahead, he better be crouching or laying down as the guy in the rear is standing.

>>2886253
It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was pretty decent as it was.

>>2886259
Don't lead an entire bunch of dudes in one movement and then attack, that's recipe for disaster, you need a bit more tactical thinking.

Though that said, if you know what you're doing, you can easily optimize your main for combat (you will never have to really talk to anyone, just train up one of your medics in bartering as you go and let him handle that), and then more or less handle all fighting by yourself while your party acts as luggage boys and carries your loot and hands you healing and ammo, they handle driving, explosive ordnance, etc

Hell hath no fury like a 16 year old girl with 2cha and 10str blasting an M2HB from the hip.
>>
>>2886226
>Why do people dislike this again?

I'm both JA2 fanatic and Fallout 1-2 maniac, so in theory this should have been right up my alley. But... kinda only played trough it once years ago. From Fallout fan standpoint plot in FT mostly ignores pre-existing lore and is weaksauce (wishywashy goody two-shoes uniting all the races of the Wasteland), focus is shifted to tactical engagments (duh) with little to no room for roleplaying and character interactions. Mission structure is linear as it gets, no proper exploration. From tactical side of things it has some strong points - vehice combat done right, mission variety is good - but it is mostly inferior to much older JA2, or even original JA. The only saving grace for that game could have been utilizing Fallout setting in more engaging way. But nope.

>TL;DR
FT = wasted potential
>>
>>2886804
>wishywashy goody two-shoes uniting all the races of the Wasteland
Really? The Brotherhood is painted in kind of a unappologetically fascist light if you listen to Ermey talking.
>>
>>2886238
>>2886239
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Xs1tm-9-U
HARSH TIMES DEMAND HARSH METHODS
*METAL THEME*
>>
>>2886876
>>2886804
Probably because you've both played it a long time ago, but one of the first things they say in the game is that the Brotherhood isn't doing this out of kindness, but because they would otherwise be doomed. The chief of the first village says "I know what you're doing, so don't make me regret accepting your help".

One thing that still unnerves me to this day is the animation for walking crouched. Who the hell made that? It reminds me of Cable (from X-Men) having a constipation while trying to buckle his belt with his massive arms, and failing every time. Just fire up that game and look at that animation. Dumb as fuck.
>>
>>2886226
It's not /vr/ and plebs like playing RPGs for the plot, not the improved gameplay mechanics. Try posting on /v/ or /vr/ and get totally ignored by FO3 fags.
>>
>>2886253
There were a turn-based and team turn-based modes. Did you even play it for 5 minutes or ever learn to read a manual, hipster?
>>
>>2886259
I swear you're all retarded at turned-based strategic combat. Play X-Com go back to >>>/v/.
>>
File: xcomenf1.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
xcomenf1.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>2888439
did someone say XCOM?
>>
>>2886804
>I'm both JA2 fanatic and Fallout 1-2 maniac, so in theory this should have been right up my alley.
I think being JA2 and Fallout 1-2 pretty much disqualifies from enjoying Tactics. It's just so goddamn inferior compared to both of those.
Far worse combat, no destructability, deaf and blind enemies (perception works like a radar through walls, instead of line of sight and sound mechanics). For a tactical squad strategy game Tactics is seriously lacking and is a really boring game.
And compared to Fallouts there's lack of social aspect and lore is all sorts of fucked up on top of being linear as shit (well, it's also inferior to JA2 in that aspect).

Tactics simply wasn't good enough.
>>
>>2886226
Personally I thought it was awesome. Great gameplay, very strategic, good level design and art style.The OST is also fucking awesome.
I generally don't say this because fan boys like to shit on it because of muh canon.I agree Tactics screws up the lore and it's not an RPG but it's still a great game.
>>
>>2886226
strange coincidence
I just reinstalled this game to try playing it a second time last night (bought it three years ago, played for about 3 minutes)
I had heard that it had a turn-based combat option, so I thought, hey, that might make it playable for me
I lasted about 3 more minutes than last time

this game just isnt good
>>
>>2890443
>only has patience for a few minutes
Try a few levels at least, damn.
>>
I played it up to a point like 5 years ago, but wasn't feeling it. I've played JA2 recently and now I'm even less in the mood for ever trying it again.
>>
>>2891219
its the not the level design or anything, the game just assaults the sensibilities
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.