[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /vr/ consider objectively some of the very worst retro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 1398627799-photo-2.jpg (601 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1398627799-photo-2.jpg
601 KB, 1200x800
What does /vr/ consider objectively some of the very worst retro games?

This has been covered by every two-bit hack on Youtube countless times but most of the time they just suck at the game or take the ideas that were innovative at the time out of context or focus too much on shitty cashgrab licensed games (*cough* *cough* AVGN).

>pic only sort of related.. the whole "ET caused the American Video Games Crash" is a fucking meme, it's not even THAT bad by Atari VCS standards...
>>
>>2886068
Tom and Jerry: Frantic Antics on genesis and Plucky's Big Adventure on PS1 are some of my non-obvious choices for worst games.
>>
>>2886068
IMO E.T. is a pretty solid game, the only bad thing about it is the falling down hole glitch.

Superman 64 though, is a literal pile of shit.
But i'm just taking potshots at easy targets.
Friday The 13th is pretty bad
>>
>>2886068
Dash Galaxy. Fuck that game.
>>
>>2886140
>glitch
Not a glitch http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/#whyfall
>>
>>2886068
The problem with trying to think up the worst game from people that have played hundreds, if not thousands, of games since childhood is that the worst ones are usually dropped before you have much time to remember them.

>>2886140
I spent time playing E.T. in my youth as well, and didn't notice it being much worse than other stuff I had at the time. If anything, it just set the standard for licensing some intellectual property and then making a disappointing game out of it.
>>
These are all examples of licensed games.

I think Super Pitfall is one of the worst non-licensed games... also Hell's Bells/Deadly Towers if you don't know that the "dungeon" is a trap and it's just best to reset the game.
>>
>>2886181
I kinda liked Super Pitfall on the C64, it was kind-of like baby's first Metroid
>>
>>2886165
The other problem is that a lot of the games you'd drop as a kid were often some of the better NES titles that were just inaccessible to you because you're five and don't really have much in the way of basic motor controls.
>>
>>2886194
Yeah, there's some of this too. I was used to shorter games, so I thought that when they ran the credits after you cross the bridge in Final Fantasy that the game was over.
>>
>>2886163
That's a a great link.

Sums up why E.T. wasn't even that bad.

Why do people hate E.T.?

So, why do people hate E.T.? When it was released, it was well ahead of its time. It pioneered a lot of concepts that we take for granted in games today, but were unheard of in 1982 (Atari's Adventure and Haunted House had some of these features, but not all):

It was one of the first home video games with a title screen.
It featured an open-ended world with gameplay focused on exploration.
It was completely non-violent. You can't hurt the bad-guys, and they can't hurt you. There isn't even any competition!
You could complete the game. There are also several goals that you need to complete to win the game.
There were multiple ways to complete goals. You can actually finish the game without falling in a single well.
The game not only had an ending, it also featured an animated cut-scene as a reward.
The game featured optional additional goals to complete (side quests).

While that seems like a great list of features, players in 1982 weren't prepared for that much change. You really needed to read the manual to understand the game and how to play it. As younger children were the primary audience, it's no surprise that it wasn't well received.
>>
>>2886181

Deadly Towers is a good bad game though. It's enjoyable due to its frustration.
>>
File: EDaik.jpg (44 KB, 650x484) Image search: [Google]
EDaik.jpg
44 KB, 650x484
Daikatana for the n64 is insufferable, worst port i've ever played.

I actually enjoy the PC version despite obvious issues.
>>
>>2886325
I also don't think that Daikatana is bad at all, sorta hard, but not bad.
Don't know about the N64 port though, but most ports are bad, with some exceptions of course.
>>
The Crow PS1.

I think AVGN recently reviewed it, but I suffered through that shit back in the day.
>>
The NES version of Dragon's Lair is one of the shittiest piece of shit games ever. That was the one that made me realize the "NES seal of quality" was a lie.
>>
>>2886068
E.T.
Crime Fighters
Double Dragon III (arcade)
every ZX Spectrum game
every Amstrad CPC game
every indie game ever

Those are objectively the worst.
>>
>>2886408
The "NES seal of approval" process was a noticeable improvement over Atari 2600's shovelware. And including the piles of rushed out garbage that were on the Amiga and other computer/gaming platforms of the time.

They limited the amount of games any company can release to 6 per year and had some internal documentation of what constituted as the bare minimum to be released (those documents sadly haven't been leaked yet). One can conjecture that the game had to at least work, had to have average graphics for the time and not be a blatant clone of a more popular game.

Dragon's Lair is a very pretty game for it's time, it's just that the difficulty is so maddening that you can't enjoy it.
>>
>>2886408
That's the one I've played the most
>>
>>2886410
>Crime Fighters
>Double Dragon III (arcade)
Those are bad, but I played worse.
>>
>>2886068
Double Dragon on the 2600 is the worst game I've ever played.
>>
>>2886068
>Any indie NES game
>Anything for the 3DO except for Road Rash
>Almost anything for the Atari VCS

For single worst game I'd probably say something like Bebe's Kids would qualify
>>
Dangerous Streets
Art of Fighting series
Legend of Success Joe
Superman 64
Bugsby 3D
>>
>he thinks ET didn't cause the crash

It's not a meme. It was just the final nail in the fucking coffin of a market oversaturated with garbage games. It happens. Something gets popular, people begin making cheap ass cash ins, consumer confidence falls low because there's more people there trying to make a shitty cash grab than a good game, and people along with their money move on and there's a crash. Then things pick up again. We're probably due for another one soon given the state of modern gaming as soon as people get over paying for the same thing over and over.
>>
>>2886068
E.T. cost Atari so much money that they couldn't recover and the market crashed as a result. They poured tons of money into production and spent a good amount of money on the license. The game was so offensively bad that consumers returned them to stores in droves (back then, you could freely return opened games) and it was the straw that broke the camel's back... the straw being awful fucking games, and the camel being consumers.

E.T. wasn't the cause, but it was certainly the spark that set off the powder keg.

meme my ass, go read a fucking book you buffoon.
>>
>>2886712

>The "NES seal of approval" process was a noticeable improvement over Atari 2600's shovelware.

Let's not be too crazy there. There was some borderline shovelware even with that "seal of approval". Was it an improvement? Yes, but let's not pretend that seeing that automatically marked a game as good. There were some real clunkers tossed out that got a sticker of approval from Nintendo.
>>
>>2887480
the market crash wan't even a thing, christ you millenials will believe anything
>>
>>2887505
wasn't there a computer market crash at around the same time?
>>
>>2887483
We don't have access to the exact SOP that they used but it could be that their standards were lower for licensed games.

The games released on the NES were more vetted, at least in the states than any other platform of the time.
>>
>>2887479
>>2887483
ET was indirectly the final nail in the coffin but I meant that it wasn't that ET was an exceptionally bad that caused the crash because it was so shitty, like so many youtubers like to simplify.

In fact if you bother to read the manual and understand how the holes worked it wasn't even that bad for a licensed game compared to the crap on the VCS of the time, most of which were barely playable and/or lazy clones.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.