[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just trie this on DOSBox and it is amazing. How in the hell they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: nsc_002.png (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
nsc_002.png
65 KB, 640x480
Just trie this on DOSBox and it is amazing. How in the hell they made these physics at that time? also, the game runs silky smooth.
any other TECHNOLOGY retro computer games?
>>
>>2885590

>just trie(d) THIS

oh yeah THAT game.

care to inform the rest of the world what the FUCK you think we know??
>>
>>2885652
it's NASCAR Racing, by papyrus. i think it's from 1994.
>>
>>2885590
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJGnzb0Asw
Don't forget the hardware accelerated versions.
>>
>>2885590
papyrus is pretty well known for their quality. just look at the popularity of their grand prix legends game.
>>
>>2885590
They continued to make the Nascar games till the 2003 version, its still good.
>>
>>2885692
yeah, but it amazes me more seeing this rendered in pure software mode. Papyrus did a god-tier engine that served them well into the 2000's
>>
>>2885590
I don't even like Nascar yet I enjoy these games. Shows how good they play/handle/control.
>>
>>2885692
lol, the NV1 can't even do bilinear filtering.
>>
>>2885590
Holy shit used to go to a friends house after school to play this game. I hate NASCAR but shit was fun as fuck :D
>>
File: Grand Prix Legends 2.webm (3 MB, 850x478) Image search: [Google]
Grand Prix Legends 2.webm
3 MB, 850x478
>>2885683
>>2885683
>Papyrus
search no more.
>>
File: indy500.webm (2 MB, 320x124) Image search: [Google]
indy500.webm
2 MB, 320x124
>>2885590
If you think NASCAR Racing is impressive, take a look at the first racing simulation by Papyrus, Indianapolis 500.

>At the time, many people still had 4.77 MHz 8088 PC's, the 80286 based AT machines were fairly new, and the smoking hot top-end machines were 25 Mhz386's - with EGA graphics! Remember that flight simulators were considered good at the time if they got frame rates above 8-10 fps. I felt it was important to have the highest frame rate possible, and I was confident that we could get up to 15 fps sustained! I also wanted to have a full field of 33 cars (player plus 32 AI cars), since this was Indy. So everything was written in assembly language, for speed. Space was also at a premium, since we couldn't use more than about 570K of RAM. Writing the physics in assembler, using fixed-point math, was one large challenge. Another was creating a graphics database that looked like the speedway, but used no more than about 30 polygons per frame! (We use that many polys in a tire, today.) The other main challenge was getting the CPU to drive 32 AI cars without slowing to a crawl.
>>
File: paint.png (238 KB, 960x721) Image search: [Google]
paint.png
238 KB, 960x721
>>2885590
One of the lesser known aspect is that NASCAR Racing 1 and 2 both came with kickass editors for the car textures.

Sure, it takes some skill, but it could import files. So you could use a professional graphics program to create a texture and then import it.

As cool as NASCAR Racing is as a simulation already, few things are more awesome than not just taking the place of another famous driver, and their car, but actually being that driver yourself, with your very own car, your very own number in the grid, and so on.
>>
Tie Fighter (1994) for DOS.

https://youtu.be/geyps1bNqEc?t=5m22s

The training level blew me away as a kid.

(Took me a little while to find some youtube footage of the original 320x200 resolution, the "collector's edition" CD released in '95 increased it to 640x480.)
>>
>>2885683

Have you seen the original Need For Speed?
>>
File: HaZOsoJ.png (136 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
HaZOsoJ.png
136 KB, 640x480
I think Magic Carpet belongs in a "technology" thread. The game uses a variant of a raycaster engine (think Doom), but with a lot of really advanced visual and gameplay features. Dynamic light sources, realtime reflections on a moving water surface, realtime terrain modification, transparent hud, svga support, support for old virtual reality hardware, and even the near-legendary stereogram mode
>>
File: 278593-carpet_018.png (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
278593-carpet_018.png
70 KB, 640x480
>>2888791
>>
>>2888791
The game tends to run too fast in DOSBox, but there's a surprisingly simple and useful fix: crank up the graphics quality to maximum. That's high resolution, anti aliasing (yes, the game had anti aliasing), transparent hud, reflections, give it everything. You could enable motion blur if you want to, but it's a holding-type motion blur, meaning it does not add any new visual info, just blends previous frames with the current one. It contributes to the magical look of the game though, if you're into that.
>>
>>2886440

I played the fuck out Indy500 back in the day. I even went as far as editing the EXE in a hex editor to have my and my friends' names in the intro credits. I was like 12 at the time and learning the joys of having a PC... don't hate.
>>
>>2888802
What did you achieve within the game? Most people apparently tend to just drive clockwise and crash everything in sight. Have you completed any of the races? Tuned your car?

>don't hate
You were tinkering with the files and their structure, learning. That's how curiousity works. Only dumb people hate on that.
>>
I'm having a hard time setting the wheel to use in DOS games, it's a shame because games like Nascar and Grand Prix are awesome with that
>>
>>2888813
Have you tried DOSBox's key mapper (ctrl-F1) ? It allows to map the input of your DirectInput Windows steering wheel to the virtual joysticks of DOSBox. Then you configure the joysticks as control within the game. That way I do analog steering with my gamepad thumbstick in Indy 500.
>>
>>2888810

I just loved the instant replay feature and how the cars became a pixelated mess when you'd crash and debris went everywhere. I was more into Stunts and Stunt Driver and things like that so I'd basically just race and crash and shit... nothing special... but it was one of maybe 40 diskettes I had at the time so it got it's fair amount of use.
>>
>>2888815

Nope, I'll try it when I get home. Thank you by the tip!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.