[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would FF9 have been more popular if Zidane was a brooding grumpus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Zidane-Final-Fantasy-IX.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Zidane-Final-Fantasy-IX.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
Would FF9 have been more popular if Zidane was a brooding grumpus like Cloud and Squall before him?
>>
thisisbait.jpg
>>
He would have been more popular if he wasn't a manlet monkey boy that wore a vest without a shirt underneath like vaan the fuccboi
>>
>>2885279
get a load of this obnoxious faggot
>>
>>2885267
FF9 was pretty popular to be honest shaking my head family.
>>
>>2885283
lol u mad
>>
It would've been more popular if it was finished.
>>
He had a bigger moment of emo faggotry than either of the other two.

Cloud wasn't even that broody in FF7, mostly just fucked in the head. Squall was just a statue asshole for the 1st half, and dumbass pussy for the 2nd half.
>>
>>2885267

Cloud was not brooding or emo. This is a meme.
>>
>>2887707
first i've heard of it shipping before it was done
>>
>>2888228
Also Squall didn't follow a trend, he unwillingly started it.
>>
>>2888228
>There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
>>
FF9 had the potential to be a great game, except

>Slow battle system, maybe due to processing demands.
>No character customization aside from toggling auto abilities off and on. Characters had restrictive equipment options and were pigeon-holed into specific classes.
>Muh cinematic experience. The first half of the game is too linear since your only objective is to trigger one cutscene after another.
>Completionist's nightmare. Too many missables, too many sidequests that inexplicably vanish after plot triggers, and that fucking Excalibur II sidequest.
>Insufficient disparities between player character and enemy statistics, which results in every enemy being a pushover. The highest HP an enemy can possess is a 16-bit value. (up to 65,535 hit points) You can finish the entire game with all characters at their initial levels, and the game's optional superboss goes down in a mere 5 - 6 turns.
>A variety of skills became obsolete quickly due to the damage cap. What was the point of having Vivi and Steiner waste both their turns to unleash a Spell Sword attack that deals 9999 damage when either character alone could achieve this? Why elect to use Ark over Bahamut if they're both pushing the damage cap? It isn't going to matter if the enemy is weak to Shadow, because the damage is still capped.

If Square is going through an HD port, there are a few things I would consider changing:

>Speed the framerate up, which I suspect they already plan to do.
>Allow cross-class customization. i.e. Expand the types of weapons characters can equip, and allow them to learn a handful of skills that belong to other classes. Steiner with low- to mid-level White Magic? Yes please.
>Make it so sidequests don't inexplicably expire by the time you reach a certain point in the story. When you start disc 4, most of the game's locations are locked down by some type of spell. This was possibly due to technical limitations, so there's no reason to enforce this on a PC / mobile port.
>>
>the game's optional superboss goes down in a mere 5 - 6 turns
Explain how. I can't survive his opening volley.
>>
>>2888587
>Speed the framerate up, which I suspect they already plan to do.

Their plan is to just use that shitty frameskip feature the FF7 and FF8 ports had.
>>
>>2888592

Most every character has a skill whose strength is tied to something like the number of frogs you catch, or the number of times you successfully steal from an opponent. Grind these actions enough times and your skills will dish out max damage every time you use them.

The boss itself bases its strategy on how you move you menu cursor, and which skills you select. In effect, it's "counterattacking" your menu selections. With that in mind, it's easy to manipulate which commands the boss will use.
>>
File: FF8.jpg (28 KB, 636x430) Image search: [Google]
FF8.jpg
28 KB, 636x430
>>2888587
These are good points, but most of which only matter on a small scale.

For instance
>What was the point of having Vivi and Steiner waste both their turns to unleash a Spell Sword attack that deals 9999 damage when either character alone could achieve this?
This only becomes the case once you reach the near end of the game. It is a viable option during most of the game, depending on what situation you're in of course. Same with the other complains in that sentence.

>Completionist's nightmare
What disappearing sidequests ? You mean like the goddamn tea fetching quest? That already matters at all. I consider myself a completionist to some extent and a sidequest lover, and FF9 was a real pleasure on this side. Chocobo hot&cold, looking for treasures all around the map... not only that was fun by itself (which can't be said of most sidequets in 7 or 8...) but it was also very rewarding.

I don't understand why Excalibur 2 is always brought up as a complain. it's an actual in game reward for speedrunning, that's pretty fucking cool, not many games do that. Does it trigger your autism to know you will never be able to own 100% of the game items in a single playthrough? Geez.

>>2888612
And how exactly are you supposed to know that when playing the game? I've played it at least 6 times and I never, ever, recall a mention of how those character skills work or how the bosses work. You'd only know this, and therefore be able to abuse it, if you read a FAQ, and even then, i'm talking about Ullulilia tier FAQ (I'm sorry I'll never be able to spell his name right).

I agree 9 lacks freedom in terms of gameplay choices and character customisation. I also agree it's too "linear / cinematic". On both these points, it is a HUGE step backwards after 8.
>>
>>2887707
It wasn't?
>>
>>2888659
>These are good points, but most of which only matter on a small scale.

I don't see any point in trying to diminish my complaints. Maybe you feel these flaws aren't important, but they did indeed ruin the game for me. I played through it once, and had no desire to replay it again. Why should I then invest in the HD port?

>What disappearing sidequests?

Like, literally almost every one of them? Half of the game world is locked down after disc 3. Even sideuqests in areas that you CAN revisit inexplicably become unavailable, like the eye gems you place in the statues along the Conti Pass route. If you still have several of the gems in your inventory sometimes after leaving that area, the game won't allow you to interact with the statues when you return.

I suspect the data for these quests doesn't exist on disc 4.

>Does it trigger your autism to know you will never be able to own 100% of the game items in a single playthrough?

Yes.

>And how exactly are you supposed to know that when playing the game? I've played it at least 6 times and I never, ever, recall a mention of how those character skills work or how the bosses work.

FF9 was clearly designed to be sold with an accompanying strategy guide. One can certainly beat the game on their own, but as for the sidequest? FF9 definitely codifies the "Guide Dang It!" trope.
>>
>>2888587
>No character customization aside from toggling auto abilities off and on. Characters had restrictive equipment options and were pigeon-holed into specific classes.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

"Everyone Can Do Everything" is fucking boring.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.