[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm interested in getting an original PlayStation for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: ps1.jpg (263 KB, 1280x587) Image search: [Google]
ps1.jpg
263 KB, 1280x587
I'm interested in getting an original PlayStation for the first time, but there are about a million different versions of the system and its accessories. Which is the best one, and where should I start?

Also, I know the PS2 and PS3 can play PSOne games but I decided I want to get the actual system.
>>
File: gIj7Cp6.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
gIj7Cp6.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
The original PSX models had a serial port that was intended to be used for add-ons, although I don't think Sony produced any first-party add-ons. Some versions of GameShark used the serial port, although later versions of GS were entirely disc-based and worked with all PS models.

The PSOne removed the serial port and also ditched the reset button to subvert even more space, so it's pretty small by comparison. The BIOS screen for the PSOne is also a bit different. The original PSX models had a colorful backdrop screen while the PSOne used a rather generic gray screen with intersecting lines, as pictured in my post.

In my opinion, it boils down to aesthetics. Unless you want to go hunting for an older serial port GameShark to use with your PlayStation, you really don't need to invest in a specific model for compatibility. All actual game software will work with all PlayStation models.
>>
File: Sony-PSone-Console-FL.png (167 KB, 800x518) Image search: [Google]
Sony-PSone-Console-FL.png
167 KB, 800x518
>>2883009
So a PSOne should be fine?
>>
>>2882989
I just picked one up a while back. The bit of research I turned up is that if you're getting an original, big gray one, stay away from the earliest model, the SCPH-1001, I think. It was built with the disc lens far too close to the power source or somesuch and was doomed to failure, if not sooner, than later.

>>2883094
Yeah, these models are all a safe bet.
>>
>>2882989
emulate
next question
>>
>>2883102
Read the last sentence of the OP again and keep in mind that not everybody on /vr/ is into emulation.
>>
>>2883094
>>2883009
I think you can link up two copies of Bushido Blade using the serial port and play 2 players in first person mode. I might be wrong though.
>>
>>2883167
This sounds right, and a few games supported that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Link_Cable
>>
>>2883009
I see some South Park Rally in there. What a shitty game.
>>
>>2883102
>emulate
Why do poorfags always end up in every thread?
>>
>>2883953
because it has nothing to do with money, it has to do with superior platform and playability, and for the PS1 it's emulate or masturbate. enjoy your dogshit loading times and ass tier level graphics on your original hardware
>>
>>2883962
>complaining about bad graphics on a system that was made the generations ago
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>2883986
sorry I don't want it to look literally worse than how we viewed it when it came out, but you're prob 11 anyway so what would u know
>>
>>2883962
poor detected
>>
>>2884025

right, i'm sure your memory is so photographic that you remember exactly how a game looked
>>
As to the OP's question, I recommend either a 75xx or 9xxx model. They both have the SoundScope feature for music CDs, the 75xx has both Parallel and Serial ports, the 9xxx just has the Serial. Neither model suffers from the FMV skipping issues the earlier models had. I've got a 75xx that I've had since I bought it around 97 or so, and the laser still works perfectly playing burned games. Plus the Parallel port means I can use the old Gameshark with it. The 5xxx series is safe as well, just no Sound Scope.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.