[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been on a sidescrolling action game kick recently,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
I've been on a sidescrolling action game kick recently, and I'm looking for suggestions.

So far i've played pick related, alien solider and a bunch of megaman/castlevania/metal slug games, and I need more high quality/speed action games like these.

suggesting more modern ones would be nice too, if I've ran through the cream of the crop already[
>>
>>2882885
>if I've ran through the cream of the crop already
You've played some popular mainstream games and now you think you know shit?
>>
>>2882918
If I knew for sure I wouldn't be asking for suggestions in the first place.
>>
>>2882885
Ninja Gaiden series (NES).
>>
Turrican/Gunlord.
>>
>>2882885
Try to 1cc all of those.

Now you are set up for almost a month, especially if you go through all the Metal Slugs.
>>
>>2882932
Adventure of Little Ralph is terrific. Probably on of the best and exciting mine cart levels in any sidescroller.

One on the Playstation One has amazing action set-pieces. It really feels like playing a movie at times.
>>
Contra is a pretty solid series, though I imagine you've probably played them but forgot to list them in the OP
>>
File: atomic-runner-usa.png (307 KB, 360x500) Image search: [Google]
atomic-runner-usa.png
307 KB, 360x500
>>2882885
>>
>>2884393
was going to say the same thing. my fave genny game
>>
>>2882935
Ninja Gaiden is terrible. I have no idea why it's so highly praised.

You can do Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (SNES and Genesis), OP, there's also Super/Mega Turrican or Ghostbusters for the Genesis.
As >>2884362 said, there's Contra as well.
>>
Revenge of Shinobi and especially Shinobi 3 are great OP, you should love them.
>>
File: 250px-Sonic2_European_Box.jpg (34 KB, 250x352) Image search: [Google]
250px-Sonic2_European_Box.jpg
34 KB, 250x352
Seriously?
>>
>>2884393
I really like this game but those controls man.
>>
>>2884480
Shoot Jump Turn?

Three fucking buttons and a D pad

Have you tried playing it for more than say, 5 minutes?
>>
File: 4b rocket knight adventures.jpg (107 KB, 640x902) Image search: [Google]
4b rocket knight adventures.jpg
107 KB, 640x902
get this one its awesome you wont regret it
>>
and this is a cracker too lots of fun and very difficult might need level skip code pause badbadluc :D
>>
>>2884480
Change the controls in the options so that you only need to press a button to turn around, instead of a button + a direction. It makes the game much more natural to play.
>>
>>2884501
yes i've 1cc'd it a few times.

the best control scheme is having 2 buttons for shoot left/right and a jump button.

I prefer A - shoot left , B - jump , C - shoot right
>>
Majuu Ou is a solid game, it won't blow your mind but it's pretty good and has very nice aesthetics.

>>2884456
Don't listen to this guy, not only does he dislike Ninja Gaiden but he's recommending the SNES and Genesis versions of GnG games. The SNES version of Super runs like ass, you're better off getting the PS2 or PSP ports. The Genesis version of Ghouls n Ghosts is much uglier looking which is important because the arcade version is absolutely gorgeous.
>>
>>2884560
>1cc'd it a few times.

Is this a /vr/ meme?
You're referring to the arcade I guess? Because arcade games have credits that matter and consoles have continues that don't really matter?
As a kid if you "finished" a game you did with the lives given and it didn't matter about continues because they were always limited and a part of the equation.
>>
>>2884620
If a game has game overs and continues, 1cc'ing it is what you should be aiming for. Why do you think your score gets reset? Using up a ton of credits is unsatisfying, it barely feels like you've even gotten good at the game.
>>
>>2884620
You must be one of those faggots that say STG rather than shoot'em up.
>>
>>2884647
I don't understand what you're saying

>>2884638
I understand but consoles either had a limited amount of continues or you had to earn them.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.