[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would it have been like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: superdisc_logo_recreation.png (32 KB, 517x559) Image search: [Google]
superdisc_logo_recreation.png
32 KB, 517x559
What would it have been like?
>>
Super Disc, what's that? Another failed Sony-made format?
>>
>>2882665
The SNES spinoff console that Sony was going to make.
>>
It would have been a shitstorm of bootleg 128-in-1 SNES games on CDs made in China.
>>
I think it would have been glorious right until it ran smack into a wall of >>2882670 and Nintendo flipped their shit. After that Nintendo would have done their best to not only discontinue everything remotely associated with the addon but probably start a general industry crusade against the CD-ROM format itself.

DRM and locked-down formats, industry-wide and a decade early, in other words.
>>
I imagine not unlike the PCE-CD but maybe with a slightly less disappointing English library.
>>
It would have shat unicorns and candy canes.
>>
>>2882643
normal snes games with cd audio and a shit ton more load times.
>>
>>2882643
I'll tell you what it would have been like if the Nintendo Playstation had been made: bad shit.
Sony would have never gone off to make their own console, so there would be less competition in the market.
Meaning Nintendo would have gotten complacent in their lead role, so they probably wouldn't have bothered trying as hard to make good games. Come on, we know how monopolies are, just look at Valve. When was the last time they made a good game?
And think of all those great games on Sony consoles that wouldn't exist now if the N/S merger had happened.
We would have gotten less good games overall if that shit was brought to fruition.
>>
>>2882643
>What would it have been like?

Sega CD games with better FMV. That's about it.
>>
>>2883135
uhhh no playstation means sega wouldn't have rushed out saturn though, plus 3do might have done a bit better as well
>>
>>2883515
What exactly was rushed about the Saturn? inb4 a stock list of "Saturn Sucks Memes" and some vague claim that it was all because they were cowering in the face of untested upstart Sony.
>>
>>2883596
>What exactly was rushed about the Saturn?

Nothing was rushed, all they did was change the NEC V60 to two SH2s.

It is also possibly they also added an extra meg of RAM, but that one is speculation only, based on how it looks so tacked-on to an external 16bit bus.

If the Playstation launched as the snes super disc format, then Saturn would've had a great chance, since it was almost tailor made to do the same stuff that that machine was supposed to be able to do - just much better.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.