[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adapter problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: VGA_to_TV_Converter_Front_View.jpg (12 KB, 380x272) Image search: [Google]
VGA_to_TV_Converter_Front_View.jpg
12 KB, 380x272
Recently bought an adapter that allows my pc to hook up to my crt tv, but when I plug everything in it just comes up with a green screen. I just wanna emulate some of the older games that I missed. Is the tv incompatible or am I just doing it wrong?
>>
Sounds like your computer trying to detect the monitor's specs and getting confused that it's a converter box. Did you set your resolution as low as it would go at a 4:3 aspect ratio before you plugged it in to the converter?

There may also be some dip switches you have to play with to get the converter to output properly.
>>
>>2881707
Yeah I messed around with all the switches, changed the resolution and was following a guide online, can't remember the guide I used now though. But if it isn't obvious I'm not too familiar with the technicals of Crt and building arcade machines. Regardless I should've mentioned I'm using a Sanyo. Not sure if that changes anything but hopefully it can narrow things down.
>>
>>2881681
I bought a device that looks exactly like that, but it's black.
It does analog > VGA, but not the other way around.
The VGA input is only for post processing, like forcing an aspect ratio, back to VGA.
It doesn't work with 240p systems either.

Maybe yours is different, but read the instructions or store page and make sure that it outputs analog.
>>
Alright I managed to get it working with some pretty big flaws. For starters there's no colour, but the big problem is that it's being recognized for about 2 seconds then disconnecting and reconnecting, repeating itself over and over. I've checked all the connections and they seem stable
>>
>>2881681
OP, I used to have one of those adapters in the pic (well, it was a different casing but I'm guessing all these chinese sellers are just selling the same thing with different cases (I'm almost certain of that.))

it worked once, for like a minute. next time I plug it in it shows the picture but all the colors are purple/pink. however I know someone else with one and apparently it works fine. these things are really just a hit n miss.

I'd say save yourself the trouble from the pieces of shit and get an actual crt monitor
>>
>>2881948
Damn that sucks to hear, didn't cost that much though. Thanks for the advice regardless
>>
>>2881959
eh, I got a refund so it doesnt really matter. I'm just saying, and judging by the reviews of these things, they arent very reliable. if you can get one working properly good on you. but if you can even try other options, I'd say go for that instead
>>
>>2881681
Pick up a Radeon HD 4000 series. It can output all sorts of retro resolutions and refresh rates with crt emudriver
>>
>>2881681
i have that adapter like on op's picture

not all vga resolurions can be easily converted if i recall, try 640x480 or 800x600

i hope op did not messed the forgetting plug usb power cable and did not mixed intup/outputs

if your tv cant autopalntscswitch you need use levers to switch between
>>
>>2881756
>analog > VGA
VGA isn't analog? Wow, you learn something untrue here every day.
>>
I have one of these. The connections on the vga port get all fucked up and you sort of have to wiggle it
>>
I have a name brand version of those. The AVerKey, specifically the AVerKey3 Plus. I use it to take the 2nd output from my videocard and run it to my CRT TV.

On the plus side, it was amazingly cheap to get it complete with all cables and a remote. On the down side, the video quality isn't fantastic. These things were designed for companies/schools to display Powerpoint presentations on TV's, not for videogaming or anything else really. As such, every 30-60 seconds there is a hard frame of lag. Not an issue when watching TV shows over it or something, but it could be an issue when gaming. Being an older device, it has a hard limit of a maximum resolution of 1024x768. Even at that resolution, the device introduces some blurryness to the image, making small text unreadable.

Still, for the $20 I paid for it, it does what I want it to do just fine.

Best advice I have for OP or anyone else looking to get one, get a name brand AVerKey, not one of these cheaply made Chinese clones. The price is pretty much the same so you aren't saving any money by buying one of these knock-offs.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.