[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to clean disc-based games? (Specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: Sapdxay.jpg (425 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Sapdxay.jpg
425 KB, 3264x2448
What is the best way to clean disc-based games? (Specifically the Playstation 1).
>>
>>2881497
download rom
>>
With a commercial resurfacing machine.
>>
File: 31qj6s3pF9L.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
31qj6s3pF9L.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>
>>2881502
>>2881504
I mean using tools from home. I know machines are ultimately the best, but what is the best way to clean one in the comfort of your own home?
>>
>>2881512
Toothpaste and a cloth
>>
I like to use the lens cleaning solution for eyeglasses, and the softest cloth you got.
>>
>>2881512

You can buy that thing. I used to own that exact one. They used to be about $8 at walgreens (~1999), but nowadays you probably have to order it online.
>>
with a banana peel
>>
>>2881497
Apply semen and lather thoroughly with a cloth.
>>
alcohol and a cloth.
>>
get the disc refurbished professionally. i am well aware that you said "from the comfort of your own home." although some home tricks work for buffing a CD, such as toothpaste, it really doesn't compare to just getting it buffed by a legitimate buffing machine. buff the disc, make a backup of the disc, then take better care of the disc
>>
>>2881504
I'm pretty sure this tool is just snake oil.
Scratching a CD permanently erases the bits. So how would this thing work better than a wet rag?
>>
>>2882787

But back it up most of all.
>>
>>2882801
>Scratching a CD permanently erases the bits.
Scratching the metal permanently erases the bits. Scratching the plastic does not.

Note that the metal is very close to the label side in CDs, so counterintuitively, putting them down label up is best. In the case of DVDs the metal is in the middle.
>>
>>2881497
You take it to a place with a professional machine, like a local retro game store
>>
>>2882801
>I'm pretty sure this tool is just snake oil.
No. I used one a lot back in the day and it worked like a charm.
>>
File: tooth2.jpg (12 KB, 570x200) Image search: [Google]
tooth2.jpg
12 KB, 570x200
>>2882801
You'd be surprised how deep you actually have to scratch a CD to ruin it beyond repair.
>>
File: 1509048_sd.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1509048_sd.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>2881504
>>2882982
I have some SEGA CD games that I fixed that way back In 2002. Do any of you know if commercial resurfacers will work on games that were previously put through one of these?
>>
>>2883142
Oh also whether commercial resurfacers will work n Dreamcast games because my copy of Code Veronica which was just scratched before, wouldn't boot up at all after a round that Spin Doctor thing.
>>
File: Chris-Barron-The-Spin-Doctors.jpg (25 KB, 281x211) Image search: [Google]
Chris-Barron-The-Spin-Doctors.jpg
25 KB, 281x211
>>2883152
Sorry, couldn't help myself
>>
>>2883020
Yeah, generally I've been able to repair any cd that I couldn't literally see though the disc
>>
>>2884065
*through
>>
>>2883152
I think GD-Roms would be even more sensitive to this stuff because of the denser pits of data.
>>
>>2884119
Wire brush and exfoliating soap.
>>
>>2884106
Yeah the devices seen >>2881504 take out scratches by grinding off a layer but the commercial ones have a fluid which fills in the scratches, so theoretically it should work on a DC game but it'd be a real gamble unless someone here already knows what might happen.
>>
>tfw work in a shop that sells dvds and retro games so I can resurface my shit for free with our machine

If you dont have that luxury go to your local movie rental store. The one in my town will resurface discs for $1.
>>
>>2881564

People may think this is a joke, but you can fix scratches on a CD with a banana peel.
>>
>>2881497
Throw them away and buy a PSIO.
>>
>>2881504
I can neeeever hide from this fucking thing.

Now its in pic form, haunting me without a moments notice.
>>
>>2886161
>local movie rental store
>2015+1
Anon...
>>
How would you clean ps2 disks with scratches?
>>
>>2882982
I concur. Saved quite a few discs (even Dreamcast games which are notoriously vulnerable to even the lightest scratches).
>>
>>2881504
im really fucking glad i never bought one of those hideous things
>>
>regularly shop at a local game store that kind of sells a lot of retro games
>they always put my older games through that "rebuffer" despite every party involved knows it does fucking nothing
>>
>>2881497
PS1 cd have a kinda cool trick that will only work on them and other black cds.

You need to make a solution with a 1 part iso. alcohol 2 parts water and 1 part mountain dew (any soda will work but use a sugary one not diet)

next you'll want to make two rings of toothpaste around your cd. Kinda like pic related but you want one ring to be on the edge and one ring in the middle because we're going to build a little moat to pour our solution in.

Once you got the tootpaste rings on, go ahead and pour the solution into the toothpaste moat and let it sit for like 5 minutes.

After that you'll want to take a slice of salami (any lunch meat will work, salami works best because it's soft and abrasive. do NOT use towels/cloth) and and work the tootpaste into the solution by scrubbing it in little circular motions do this for awhile depending on how scratched the cd is.

After that take a slice of bread and remove any remaining toothpaste/solution (again, in small circular motions). When you're done, your cd should be clean as a whistle.
>>
>>2890926
o_O
>>
>>2890926
this almost sounds too scientific to be a ruse, partially because most of it actually makes sense despite the ridiculousness of the process.
>>
>>2890926
you forgot the doritos man
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.