[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /vr/ have any stories of funny and/or terrible bootleg games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: pokemon_green_bootleg.jpg (18 KB, 194x200) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_green_bootleg.jpg
18 KB, 194x200
Does /vr/ have any stories of funny and/or terrible bootleg games? Played this a few years ago and recently became curious of other's experiences.
>>
I used to have (well, still have) a bootleg 40 in 1 gameboy cart that had every gen 1&2 Pokemon game on it, the Crystal version was inexplicably the infamous DRUG BAG FUCK Vietnamese Crystal version despite the other games being legit

It also had the Super Mario Land 4 game that's a hack of Crayon Shin-Chan and Pokemon-themed hacks of Super Mario Land and Pinball: Revenge of the Gator
>>
>>2878703
I was in Marocco once and saw a bootleg pokemon game in one of the markets.

As I remember it the box was red with a Gyarados on it. I regret not buying it, but I guess it can be found online if anyone have an idea of what it could be called.
>>
Buying GBA Pokemon games is a fucking crapshoot on ebay, although that isn't retro. I've gotten 3 fucking fake carts from US sellers.
>>
I have a GBC cart with all three Vietnamese G2 translations.

I really wish I knew how to dump it because I don't think you can't find Gold and Silver online.
>>
>>2878783
Yeah bought some in Chinatown visiting Chicago, thank god they were only 10-15 bucks a cart.
>>
File: 145465675675.jpg (12 KB, 176x286) Image search: [Google]
145465675675.jpg
12 KB, 176x286
I dont have it still or have a picture of it. But when I was 13 back in 1999, I visited Italy for the first time with my family.
At the time I was a huge DBZ fan, and only ever really played one game from the franchise at that point, which was DragonBall GT Final Bout.
Anyway, one night, visiting a market, just checking out the different booths and what people were selling, some random italian dude was all hyped up showing me his wares. I noticed he had a DBZ game on the table, said it was for PS1 on it. I was excited but I remember the disc looked weird but whatever, it was DBZ! So I bought it for however many lire it was, I forget. Man did I get took. It didnt even work in anything, it just had a printed picture of Goku fighting someone on the jewel case...
I was young and naive and there wasnt really any internet access or anything at least for me at the time. So how was I to know. But its funny to think about now.
>>
>>2878783
The great thing though is that you are absolutely covered.

If you buy a game on ebay and it turns out to be fake, report this to ebay. If you can prove it's fake, you get your money back and they request that you destroy it.

You don't need to send it back, you don't lose anything, every penny you spent gets refunded. Sure, it might be a pain getting a fake one, but just get your cash back and keep trying.

If more people did this, selling fakes would not be worth these guys time.
>>
>>2878874
>thank god they were only 10-15 bucks a cart.

You can get them for $4 apiece, delivered to your door on aliexpress.
>>
>>2878703
found a pokemon gold for Gameboy advance.. was just a fucked up side scroller where u played as Pikachu and he used his lightning bolt as an attack. the game was a glitch mess with just one unfinished level but was still cool to find such a piece of shit at a resell shop. funny thing is I didn't even think about gold being on the advance, was happy to have a pokemon game for cheap.
>>
>>2878874
>only 10-15 bucks a cart.
The kek is strong with this kid.
>>
I have a copy of Elevator Action for the Game Boy that's in Chinese. Picked it up in a box of games for $15, I think there were like 20 something games in the box when I bought it. That was the only one that seemed odd.
>>
>>2882084
what do you expect? they didnt wanna sell fake shit
>>
>>2878770
I remember going to Tenerife when I was younger and there ware all kinds of bootleg Pokemon games. I wish I'd picked a couple up as well now, would have been fun little novelties for the collection.

I do have bootlegs of Jurassic Park and Minesweeper for the Game Boy from there though.
>>
I had a 96-in-one machine called a Powerjoy.
Among other games (lots of arcade ports) there was a bootleg of Super Mario Bros. called Pandamar. The game was the same but the graphics were different. Funny enough Mario's name was changed to Panda or Pandamar but Luigi's stayed intact.
I wish I still had the thing, it was pretty fun.
>>
It wasn't a bootleg but I bought a homebrew rom hack of emerald or something. It was called Crystal Shards and my friend was dumb and bought it on craigslist thinking it was a legit copy. Wasn't even a crystal jewel case. I tried finding it online but the copies I've seen aren't the same. It was a GBA cart.
>>
>>2884173
>It wasn't a bootleg
Yes it was.
>>
File: Pokemon_Quartz_01.jpg (93 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon_Quartz_01.jpg
93 KB, 500x421
>>2878770
>>
>>2878892
what city where you visiting?
>>
i know not retro but

tfw shiny gold will never be finished.
>>
i had the yellow japanese donkey kong land cart and thought it was a bootleg and that donkey kong country on gameboy couldn't possibly exist because why hadn't i gotten it in english

i was an idiot
>>
How can you guys tell if a GB/C/A cart from eBay is fake? Assuming it looks right with the proper sticker and all, not a joke like OP's
>>
>>2884843
Easiest way is to look at the PCB.

For GBA you don't even have to open the cart, there will be a "Nintendo" branding on it near the contacts.

Otherwise there are a lot of resources for board scans around, but in general the bootlegs use really distinctly looking pirate boards without any Nintendo branding on them.
>>
>>2884369
It was a small town in the south in avelino I believe. Called vallata
>>
>>2884350
Yeah that must be the one. Is it any good?
>>
I got 'Mario world' at a garage sale, it was for the SNES and was very similar to super Mario bros in everything other than the levels themselves, which were
1. Completely new
2. Basically the same with different or misplaced enemies
3. A mix of both
The saves would randomly disappear and 'Mario World' was written on the cart in sharpie. I just thought it was old but in hindsight it was obviously a ripoff. Wish I still had it, I either sold it or gave it to my cousin.
>>
>>2887453
It's a fairly easy-to-find hack online. It's not really good, but between the terrible translation and bizarre fakemons it's really enjoyable at times.
>>
I somehow managed to get my hands on a badly translated bootleg of emerald.

Torchic was named Firebird etc.

Fly crashed the game.
>>
I almost fell for a bootleg while looking for a copy of Duke Nukem for Game Boy Color. The cart was in a normal Game Boy cart and had an "Everyone" ESRB rating which tipped me off towards being fake.

My friend does own pic related and it's alright. 15 NES games that run the gambit of bad to good for dirt cheap.
>>
File: Rumble-Station.jpg (564 KB, 967x937) Image search: [Google]
Rumble-Station.jpg
564 KB, 967x937
>>2888663
forgot image
>>
I had a 40 in 1 cartridge that had the real Pokémon crystal on it (seemingly, I didn't play too much of it) but it also had something they called Pokémon jade and Pokémon diamond for the gbc. It also had a bunch of nes games on it like Felix the cat. I remember some of the words had fucked up letters on the cartridge like omega instead of O.
>>
File: 2wg51sn.png (8 KB, 320x289) Image search: [Google]
2wg51sn.png
8 KB, 320x289
>>2878789
As long as you can get your hands on an Everdrive 64 and a Transfer Park, you can dump GB/GBC games that way. You do have to be careful, though, as some games don't work with emulators as they take advantage of the hardware in some weird way that most emus don't know what to do. Case in point - my copy of Gold/Silver by 'HC TRANSLATIONS' wouldn't work until I changed 2 bytes near the header, and now capital vowels are replaced with Kanji.
>>
>>2884345
No it wasn't. The creator/coder didn't try to pass it off as an official liscenced game. He introduced it as a homebrew.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.