[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Nintendo crowding everyone out when it comes to the legacy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: 2553740-turbografx-16-feature.jpg (107 KB, 685x300) Image search: [Google]
2553740-turbografx-16-feature.jpg
107 KB, 685x300
Is Nintendo crowding everyone out when it comes to the legacy of retro games?

I was a Sega guy myself, and that seems to be downplayed and ignored in mainstream retro discussion. When it does get brought up, its always mentioned in a passive aggressive way. When it comes to anything that wasn't Sega or Nintendo, things are even worse. It almost seems like their experiences were written out of history.

There must have been people who only ever had a TG-16 or Jag growing up, but all you ever hear is nintendo, nintendo, nintendo.
>>
Well, Sega has been getting a good amount of attention lately with some books and such.

But, yes, people seem to be most nostalgic for Nintendo, in no small part due to Nintendo largely being a nostalgia hype engine at this point.

Still, I feel a little sad when I see certain people knocking on Sega as if they were nothing. I think as I get older I respect Sega's work more and more.
>>
>I was a Sega guy myself
>all you ever hear is nintendo, nintendo, nintendo.
I'm not really surprised this is your attitude.
>>
Plebs only know Mario and Zelda and games that are represented in Smash Bros.
>>
Well, Nintendo has series that exist since the 8-bit days till today. Many of Sega's IP's were born and died on the same console. The PS1 had many unique and forgotten one-hit titles. People are just more aware of Nintendo's presense.
>>
Not really, people who are into retro games like all sort of retro games. Sega had a strong hold of the arcade scene in the 80s and early 90s, there's no way you can talk about arcade gaming without mentioning Sega. Same thing happens with console gaming and Nintendo, but that doesn't mean people don't also talk about Namco, Konami or Capcom games.

Also, TG-16 was not popular in the west at the time, it had worse management than the Sega Saturn did, but again, people who are into retro games know the PC Engine is one hell of a machine, and was actually more popular than the Mega Drive in Japan, and arguably on par with the Super Famicom.

>but all you ever hear is nintendo, nintendo, nintendo.

No, you hear that because it annoys you, since you admitted you only had Sega growing up. I had both Sega and Nintendo, and I hear as much about Sega as I do about Nintendo around here. I even dare to say Sega fans are even more zealous than the Nintendo fans.
The truth is, you shouldn't be loyal to any company, play games from all companies because there's good games to be played. Yes, even from Nintendo.
>>
File: super-star-soldier-usa.png (7 KB, 256x232) Image search: [Google]
super-star-soldier-usa.png
7 KB, 256x232
I grew up with Sega and TG16 as well. As much as I may hate Nintendo's corporate practices (especially these days) I still have to concede that SNES has a superior selection of games, in my opinion. That isn't to say I don't play classic Sega titles anymore.

As far as TG16 goes, it has some great shooters, and Bomberman. I still play all the Star Soldier sequels from time to time.
>>
>>2878296
>I even dare to say Sega fans are even more zealous than the Nintendo fans
>shitstirring on /vr/
>>
Because Nintendo IPs are still going today (arguably all Nintendo does is go back to the same well again and again) whereas Sega where happy to make original IPs and try new things. If Nintendo had made Panzer Dragoon it would have been Zelda: Link Rides a Dragon Edition. Jet Set Radio would have been a Mario rollerblading game. Monkey Ball would have been Super Kirby Ball.
>>
>>2878302

"zealous" isn't necessarily a derogatory term.
>>
>>2878306
>If Nintendo had made Panzer Dragoon it would have been Zelda: Link Rides a Dragon Edition

Well, Nintendo funded Treasure for Sin and Punishment.

But yeah, Nintendo likes to put their characters on games that weren't originally planned sometimes, like Dinosaur Planet.

Sega rehashed Sonic more than Nintendo though. How many ports of Sonic 1 are there?
>>
>>2878292

Cause you know, people talk about NEC and Amiga all the time right?
>>
Shitendo is the cancer killing retro games.
>>
>>2878314

As this guy said: >>2878296
The TG-16 wasn't popular in the west because it had an awful localization management, many of it's best games were left in Japan.
but yes, people do talk about the PC-Engine quite often, it's a well liked console. People don't talk about it as much as the Genesis or the SNES for obvious reasons I already stated, but it is discussed and brought up often.

As for Amiga, it was only really popular in Europe. I know a few die-hard Amiga fanboys that aren't European though.
Also there's an Amiga thread on the first page of /vr/ right the fuck now.
>>
>>2878318

Nintendo is pretty cool, as is Sega, Capcom, Konami, Hudson and many other retro developers.
>>
>>2878306
This is a pretty ludicrous generalization. At least Nintendo can still make playable games.
>>
File: 1380993652180.jpg (52 KB, 838x770) Image search: [Google]
1380993652180.jpg
52 KB, 838x770
>there are people posting in /vr/ who had a childhood with only 1 system

traumas of having had only half a childhood never go away even after 20 years I guess
>>
File: famitsu_cover.jpg (59 KB, 252x320) Image search: [Google]
famitsu_cover.jpg
59 KB, 252x320
This could have been a Turbografx/PCE thread but it's a silly console war thread.
Great going OP.
>>
>>2878296
>around here
>OP was talking about mainstream retro discussion

Of course that would be the case; this is a relatively small and specialized board on a chan forum with an edgy and contrarian userbase.

Once you talk about the mainstream, or rather what constitutes the new mainstream like blogs, content aggregators, clickbait, top ten lists, and YouTube personalities, OP's description is pretty accurate.

You can't seriously be suggesting that on those mediums people talk about Sega as much Nintendo right? Or with the same amount of reverence?
>>
>>2878335
> legacy of retro games

Pretty clear and simple what this thread is about.
>>
Shit tier consoles have never been a popular item to collect
>>
>>2878337

Well, it depends. I'm from South America and here both Nintendo and Sega are pretty big, mostly thanks to clone console (Famiclones and 16-bit Sega clones).
In Japan, PC Engine and Super Famicom are more popular than Mega Drive. But Sega is still pretty popular over there due to the arcade scene, Virtua Fighter was such a craze in Japan.
In USA, Nintendo was more popular due to the NES and Master System not doing too well back then, but I know Sega Genesis took at least 50% of market share with Sonic later on. I think that yes, both Sega and Nintendo are kind of equally remembered even on mainstream discussion, Sega isn't an obscure company in any way, and the Genesis/MD was very popular same as the SNES.

I don't really watch youtubers or read blogs, but I participate on a local forum from my country, and both Sega and Nintendo are equally popular, maybe Sega a little bit more even.
I'm sure in Europe Sega is also more popular.

Again it depends on the region, I think, but both Sega and Nintendo share the same kind of equal importance. The famous 16-bit war is often remembered as the most amazing console war ever, because both systems offered a lot of great games on their own, being an idort during the 16 bit was the best.
>>
>>2878350

>Sega isn't an obscure company in any way,

If you ask someone under the age of 21 what Sega is they have no idea. But if you ask them if they know about Sonic, then they almost always do.

Sega in the minds of most young people is now the Sonic company, far fewer are familiar with their other franchises during their heyday.
>>
>>2878369

But we're talking about people who are willing to discuss retro games, even if it's mainstream, anyone into retro knows at least a bit about Sega.

Also Sega has also released games like All-Stars Racing where they promote other franchises of theirs. It's true that Sonic is their most popular, but I'm sure there are younger folk who are also aware of Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter and also more modern ones like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio or Space Channel 5.

You can also generalize the same way about Nintendo, most people only know Mario and Zelda, but there are some younger people who might also be familiar with Machrider, Excitebike or StarTropics.

Generalizing isn't a good habit though.
>>
>>2878369
Kinda off topic, but those youtube videos that talk really high of sonics heyday and they mention sonic adventure 2, they make me laugh.
>>
File: sega.jpg (249 KB, 1411x1500) Image search: [Google]
sega.jpg
249 KB, 1411x1500
>>2878285

Sega fags should really look into this - 80 built in games + plays original sega carts.

Really wish Nintendo would license something like this instead of all that Wii virtual console bullshit.
>>
>>2878384

Sonic adventure 2 battle to be more precise. A dead giveaway that their first ever sonic game was on a nintendo console.
>>
>>2878390

Those things are horrifyingly bad. VC emulation on the other hand is great.
>>
>>2878390
There were too many games with external chips for the SNES.
>>
Retro-anything hobbies get appropriated by younger groups who weren't a part of them before it was considered retro. Combine that with regional differences, celebrity brands and the flow of information today. History gets written by the winners, but also re-written out of convenience

The NES was a monster in the US; Nintendo still retains a celebrity image today and it knows it by riding on the old brands; foreign youngsters with a passing interest in old games are naturally going to get subjected to neo-NES internet culture rather than old dead local brands unless there is significant boundaries to block that cultural flow and feed off another.

The arcades were also a big deal in the 80's, there was a lot of emulation efforts in the late 90's for them because they were popular as retrogames then, but the interest for self labeled "Retrogamer" has cooled off significantly because too much time has passed to maintain the bridge of perceived relevancy to the modern day.
>>
>>2878374
Most Sega franchises died with the hardware it came out on or during the last decade. Are there any all new games in a series that goes back to the 90s? Not including sonic of course. Meanwhile Nintendo does the inverse of that and also manages to bring back older names like Kid Icarus.
>>
>>2878285
And here you are talking about nintendo again when you could just shut up about nintendo and talk about something else. You're clearly part of the problem.
>>
File: 1354841124064.jpg (391 KB, 1280x1214) Image search: [Google]
1354841124064.jpg
391 KB, 1280x1214
>>2878285
first sega machine I ever had was a dreamcast, and I'm still convinced that system was adopted.

so yea.

played the turbo in germany though. very good system, too bad it never made a dent in the US.
>>
>>2878403
The Sega one is a SoC emulator. The SNES would be the same. Emulators can emulate said chips just fine.

In any case, I would rather build a HTPC and run a quality emulator than buy these pieces of shit.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.