[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /vr/, I just picked this thing up for Chrimus and it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: jxd s7800b.jpg (86 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
jxd s7800b.jpg
86 KB, 500x500
Hey /vr/, I just picked this thing up for Chrimus and it's capable of emulating anything from the Dreamcast backwards with only minimal slow down for the later gens.

So, general retro game recommendation thread? I wanna fill this thing with the good stuff.
>>
>>2876454
what kind of games do you like
>>
File: cosy wa.png (247 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
cosy wa.png
247 KB, 409x409
>>2876456
Some of my favorites include any Mario RPG game, DK64 (though that doesn't emulate properly), Wario Land series (especially 4), Tetris Attack, and Troddlers.

But then again I'm open for trying new stuff, which is why I made the thread to begin with.
>>
>>2876454

oh hey it's this shill again. this handheld is absolute crap and all regulars here already know it. happy holidays.
>>
>>2876529
Mind elaborating in the topic?
I mostly use my psp for emulation, so thst thing in OPs pic looks interesting to me
>>
>>2876537

Just search for the countless threads about handheld emulators.

A bazillion piece of shit gadgets where everyone in the end agrees the PSP is better for emulation.
>>
File: 4L_mf4P06fG.jpg (11 KB, 257x250) Image search: [Google]
4L_mf4P06fG.jpg
11 KB, 257x250
>>2876529
I'm sorry if this looked like a shill thread, I only included that image in the op so people could know why I was asking.
>>
bumping because no games have been recommended yet
>>
>>2876454
One thing that I found memorable was metroid zero mission (gba). I found it a stellar experience. It had this retro feel to yet felt/looked new/fresh. Also some of the bosses posed a great challenge, that made me almost ragequit / lose interest in continuing. But coming back after a few days, I understood the patterns and layout, and suddenly it was a piece of cake. That's great gameplay and learning curve
>>
>>2876541
>psp
>good for emulation
the psp can't even run fucking snes games at a decent framerate
>>
Reccomended Cabal type shooters:
Rez on PS2 or Dreamcast
Omega Boost
Panzer Dragoon/Saga
>>
>>2876529
Not op here, but i'd be interested in gifting myself the portable emulation device for New Year. What are the recommended stuff? Accumulator and ability to write my own ROMs are essential.

Bonus for the tread: a russian-speaking channel with reviews of a shitload of chinese devices, portable old consoles included, most of them being weird obscure shit. May be interesting to watch and seem in theme with the tread. Cool intro included.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcxIR1zuKlgjGMe__hSINuKd-TvVHZRuy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC3GlIg-FYs
>>
File: thanks broseph.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
thanks broseph.gif
2 MB, 235x240
thanks guys, I'll try out some of your suggestions
>>
>>2876529
this. the s7800b is a god damn piece of shit. i'm the regular that bought 2 of them with dead pixels, shit wifi, screen bleeding, massive slowdown on hdmi out, the sticks broke.

IT'S
FUCKING
SHIT

and those are the only things i can think of off the top of my hungover brain
>>
>>2876797
Get a GPD XD instead, you won't be disappointed
>>
>>2876754

>obligatory AXSHUALLY, NOT RETRO

Zero Mission is excellent, semi-retro because it's a remake. I also really like Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. I started with it and loved it, tried to go play the older ones (NES, SNES) and was severely underwhelmed (heresy).

Also Bomberman Tournament, Advance Wars, Wario Land 4. Tony Hawk 2 for GBA is surprisingly good but probably no reason to play it on that since you can presumably just play the PSX version.
>>
>>2876454
Get Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy ports by Beloko off of Amazon store - this thing runs them smoothly.
>>
>>2876541
The psp is shit at emulation. It only runs like half of the snes library properly
>>
>>2877505
Well, that makes it better than your dick
>>
>>2876454
>>2876797
>portable emulation device
what's the appeal? none of us leave our houses for anything other than work anyway
>>
>>2877548
comfy bed gayman?
>>
>>2876910
>GPD XD

Does anyone on here actually own one of these and feel like doing a short review?

I just got a New3ds XL, but after looking into how much of a pain in the ass hacking it is I'm considering just leaving it stock and purchasing a different device for my portable emu needs.

I would mainly be concerned about NES, SNES and Genesis emulation. N64/PSX emu would be nice but not really necessary, and my DS lite + flash carts takes care of GB, GBC, GBA, DS. So, my main concern is if it can play Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and all those well-regarded games like Secret of Mana that I haven't got around to playing yet.

I am particularly concerned about: 1. Integer Scaling at 1:1 pixel aspect ratio and 2. Good-feeling controls with no perceptible input lag.

Things I'm not picky about: using an external display, multiplayer, battery life. I'm a competent freetard so I'm not afraid of building binaries, but I can't read moonrunes. This ended up as a long blog post I'm sorry.

PLZ REVIEW GPD XD
>>
>>2877571
I asked ashens to review it on twitter and he said he would
>>
>>2876541
>PSP is better for emulation.
fucking lol let go of your shitty psps
>>
>>2877571
GP XD is great but the n3ds is ideal for non 3d. Are you looking on gba temp? It should only take a few minutes at most to hack your 3ds. It's very simple
>>
>>2877548

I just like the handheld form factor. Even though I don't really game outside the house, it's nice to take your games with you from the comfy chair -> kitchen while you're waiting for noodles -> table while you eat -> comfy chair -> bed.

Mostly I play turn-based games like this because they are very amenable to the sort of intermittent attention for a game like this. I guess normies just play candy crush or whatever for this niche but touch controls have never done it for me.

My laptop + USB SNES controller does a great job of this too but I can't fit it in the pocket of my sweatpants when I need two hands to carry something.
>>
>>2877618

Do you own a hacked New3ds? It seems like it has gotten considerably harder in the last 2-3 weeks as Nintendo has begun patching up many of the common holes.

90% of the videos I've found use hacks that no longer work (Ironsomething, Tubehax, Browserhax), and the videos are covered in "UPDATE: CLICK HERE" annotations that lead you to more "UPDATE" annotations. Additionally some of it seems specific to other 3ds revisions or assumes that I already have access to homebrew/have exploited it before and am just trying to update.

Also according to blargSnes's website, loading blargSnes through homebrew doesn't give any sound on the New 3ds.

Currently I downloaded the Smashhax tool for Linux (everything's coming up freetard!), but I am stuck at the step where it asks me which version of Smash I have. I can't seem to find this info listed anywhere in the program or on the documentation.

So yeah, just basically seems like a mess and I get the feeling I'll have to make a sophie's choice between my SNES games and playing new games as they are released. At the moment I'm thinking I might get a 2ds to play legit/online and hack the n3ds.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog updates, thanks for the ad revenue!
>>
>>2876541
PSP
>Good NES/SMS/GB/GBC Emulation
>Great PSX emulation
>Allows for PSP games
>Ok Genesis and SNES emulation, requires hacks to run properly
>GBA emulation

Linux/Android Emulators
>Ok PSX emulation
>Poor PSP emulation
>Good SNES/Genesis Emulation
>N64 emulation
>Saturn and Dreamcast emulation
>GB/GBC/GBA/DS Emulation

I mean, I'd still rather a PSP because the better PSX emulation is great and there's not too much I care to play on the 64, but improved SNES emulation is almost worth it.
>>
>>2877548
this
>>2877552

My PSP has replaced bedtime reading, and I'm always looking to find a better way to emulate things with a handheld. I don't use it too many other places, but when I go on business trips, it's nice to have it in the hotel instead of using a laptop.
>>
>>2877651
I have a few. I buy them and sell them. It's extremely easy, I'll post some pics on here as proof when I get home.
>>
Agreed. I use a PSP for most of my retro emulation and barely ever leave the house with it... A few people here use that dumb argument and say "hurr durr what you are always traveling or something? Just get a console derkyderr etc", but in reality a PSP is comfy as fuck to just play on the couch or in bed.
>>
File: 1449503242972.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1449503242972.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
>>2877695

Ok, cool. Where are you located? How much do you sell new hacked ones for, how much if I mail mine to you? I'm in North America (California).

I got sort of close with smash hax, followed the guide to the letter but it just crashes cleanly with a "the system needs to restart" instead of glitching out and loading the menu like it's supposed to.

I have a copy of Smash (1.1.0), and my firmware version is 9.9.0-25U. I tried to pick up OoT today but Gamestop was out, and Cubic Ninja looks like it's ~$80 online, at that point I might as well just buy the flash cart and download the rom.

I might try browser hax but it's pretty close to my bedtime now (almost 10 PM PST, I wake at 4 AM PST).
>>
>>2877695

plz respond
>>
>>2878406

never beg for someone to take your money.

i'll take it from you if you want.
>>
>>2878409

no u

I'd have to deal with shady chinese sites, but it looks like sky3ds+ are $80-100. Might try buying one of those pre-paid credit card things with my next paycheck I guess.
>>
>>2877684
I have an Nvidia Shield TV, so this isn't really representative of OP's device as the Shield is literally the most powerful Android device on earth.

However I gotta address some things

>Poor PSP emulation
I was actually extremely surprised how good PPSSPP was on Android. Everything runs completely stable with enhancements, and I can even run games like Birth By Sleep and Battlefront 2 with 60fps hacks at a locked framerate. There's videos on YouTube demonstrating that too. I'm guessing OP's device should be able to that without the 60fps patches.

>Ok PSX emulation
ePSXe is actually pretty good on Android, seeing as they actually update it. Unfortunately I can't get the Mednafen or PCSX-R cores to work on RetroArch just yet, so I can't comment on those.

>Good SNES/Genesis Emulation
Snes9x EX+ is pretty good and works on any android device. However through RetroArch I was able to try out the bsnes core which worked perfectly, so I suppose you could call that excellent SNES emulation. Not sure if OP's device could handle bsnes though, and if it could, it would probably be a battery eater.
>>
>>2877757
Sorry I've been busy with family. My steam is
http://steamcommunity com/id/ConcreteMan
Add me so I can help you out. I live in tx.
>>
>>2878439
Also modchipcentral com is a really reliable site to buy flashcarts. They ship really quick despite shipping out of Canada. Retroarch has roms for it as well so that would be the easiest option imo.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.