[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vr/ I have a question Everyone loves Half-Life. Which adventure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
/vr/ I have a question

Everyone loves Half-Life.

Which adventure through Black Mesa did you like the best? Freeman's? Shephard's? Calhoun's? Cross and Green's? Share!

Replaying the Half-Life series. I'm in for a long haul.
>>
Shepard easily. Who gives a fuck about the dumb story OpFor delivered the best action and didnt have too much bullshit. Also best weapon variety
>>
>>2875974
The original game got it right imo. None of the expansions managed to click with me as much.
>>
>>2876108
I'll admit, the one expansion that just had me wondering why the story was going on was OpFor. Suddenly Race X so Shephard had a boss was kinda dull. But at least he got a boss, unlike Calhoun, Cross, and Green.
>>
>>2875974
Half-Life = Opposing Force > Blue Shift
Didn't play Decay.
>>
>>2875974
After replaying Opposing Force somewhat recently I realise that it doesn't trump the original game after all. Those new weapons are nice though. Love the alien snotrocket launcher and the sniper rifle that doesn't need zoom to be accurate or do full damage because fuck zooming.
>>
>>2876176
This for me
>>
>>2875974
>Everyone loves Half-Life.

I don't. I find Half Life really boring. I strongly dislike the really floaty movement too.

Might give them more of a shot though, I dunno.
>>
>>2876176
A lot of people have this. Mind you, you aren't missing much.

>>2876459
Fair enough. I dunno. I like the atmosphere of the games more so than the gameplay.
>>
>>2876459
I don't think Half-Life starts very strong. I'm sure all the scripted events were great at the time, but now that the novelty has worn off, two chapters of glorified cutscene is way too much.

Just how far did you play before getting bored? I think I might be able to judge if giving it another go is worth it for you.
>>
File: V_tmp_beta.png (67 KB, 347x253) Image search: [Google]
V_tmp_beta.png
67 KB, 347x253
>>2875974
opposing force was really REALLY great

> no mention of CS
it´s still fun to this day
>>
I prefer the main adventure with Gordon, but I also really like that the HL expansions let you play as other people during the same event in different circumstances.

It made the world larger.
>>
>>2877265
While Counter Strike was a Half-Life mod, it wasn't a Half-Life game.
OP was specifically asking about Half-Life games.
>>
>>2875974
half-life, opfor gets 2hard4me towards the end. nothing special about blue shift other then it being the comfiest half-life game apart from episode 2 but that's not /vr/
>>
OpFor is the better FPS but it shits all over the story and much of the atmosphere of HL1.

Blue Shift was mediocre.
>>
How does one play the game in the hardest difficulty setting?

I found that high difficulty made H-L2 a very engrossing experience from start to finish, but in H-L I am finding it... difficult.
>>
I'm not gonna call Half Life overrated, but I really think it's a dull game. Its approach to storytelling however is extremely overrated. People act like it's some kind of revelation compared to cutscenes. The game locks you in a room or whatever and forces you to stay until the dialog is over. You can shoot characters (which has no effect on anything) and mash the jump button. Honestly I'd rather just watch a movie instead.
>>
>>2878418
Conserve ammo, use corners and scrape every last health kit and battery you can. Welcome to crate smashing simulator.

Honestly, it makes some chapters harder than others (coughcoughonarailcoughcough)

>>2878585
Honestly, in the modern age, Half-Life's "Sit here and look at this, there is NOTHING else to do here besides it anyways" is kinda shitty. Cutscenes would do the original some good for certain scenes. But for others I think the ability to move gives more feeling to it.
>>
I guess Opposing Force. HL went on a little too long for it's own good, and BS I honestly can't remember a thing from. But I do remember exploring those dark tunnels in OF and having to blast apart those giant alien things under there. That was spooky but good. Also only a 5 hour game, so just right without overstaying its welcome.
>>
>>2878585

HL's approach to storytelling, or rather the critical acclaim it received for its approach to storytelling, killed FPS. 17 years later, I'm still mad. It is not a great game. The effort was there and I have huge respect for what they built out of essentially a seriously hacked to shit Quake engine. Xen was awe-inspiring and genuinely impressive to me at the time I first played it and it is now. But that's the best thing about the game, is that the last few levels are really pretty. The gunplay is fucking ass and Quake absolutely wipes the floor with it in every way. It makes me sad because there's a great production in there, but it's not a great game and its effect on the genre was nothing short of disastrous.

OpFor is okay and like HL itself has some really fun set pieces, but I can't imagine thinking it is a better FPS. Blue Shift is shit.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.