[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About to start this for the first time ever. What am I in for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: chronotrigger-sfc.jpg (69 KB, 550x371) Image search: [Google]
chronotrigger-sfc.jpg
69 KB, 550x371
About to start this for the first time ever. What am I in for? Any optimal party setups?
>>
Any party is good, you just need to accept that magic is inferior for healing
>>
Frog is amazing, but all are epic to use. Just happen to think frogs are badass. I usually use Marle, Chrono and Frog but occasionally switch Marle with robo or Lucca just because I love them. Haven't used cat girl aayla as much but also haven't beaten it yet. Absolutely love it in all honesty. Definitely worth the classic status it recieved.
>>
You're in for basically everything good about an SNES RPG being represented in some way.
>>
You're in for a long, hard and raw ass fucking by the dumpster behind McDonald's.
>>
>Any optimal party setups?
The best party by the endgame is very easily Crono Robo Ayla but the game is easy enough that you shouldn't worry too much about it. The game encourages switching around your party setup to play with all the tech combinations.

Just feed all your speed tabs at the start to Robo so he can keep up with the other party members in the early game. Speed maxes out at 16 and doesn't grow from level up like the other stats so he sees the most benefit from it.
>>
>>2875736
I found Ayla to be the best for raw damage dealing. She's also the only character who can steal items, which can land you with accessories that quarter MP cost.
>>
>>2875736
After you play through CT: search the web for an Existential Analisys of CT, it's a great read. Also, I recommend playing Radical Dreamers, then Chrono Cross.
>>
>asking other people how to play an RPG

It's not a very challenging game, so you could probably win with any party you want. My biggest piece of advice is to play through the game without help/guides/walkthroughs; IMO this greatly diminishes the role-playing experience
>>
>>2875865

That last sentence was poorly worded. What I meant to say was that playing with guides makes the RPG experience much worse. If Crono was able to look at a walkthrough, there wouldn't be much of a story, would there?
>>
Farm megaelixirs from the Reptites in the Lost Sanctum with Ayla until you have 99 of them. Spam your strongest techs against enemies until they die.
>>
>>2875865
CT has so many well hidden goodies that I'd recommend a guide anyway, but only when looking to complete side quests.
>>
>>2875889

I disagree. If you're going through the game a second time, then using a guide makes sense so you can discover everything the game has to offer. I always play through once without a guide though, unless the game gets incredibly cryptic (i.e. stuck on the same part of the game for a week)
>>
>>2875880
The Lost Sanctum quest from the DS version is so fucking boring that it's not worth any of the rewards you get from it.
>>
>>2875736
>About to start this for the first time ever. What am I in for?
A run of the mill JRPG with good graphics and OST.
You don't need them, the game's easy enough to let you use anyone you want and have little problem, besides, character roles are so easy to discern there's no challenge or difficulty in making whatever team you want, it's far from being an obscure or complex game where you need to look at guides to make good strategic decision, just play it as it comes and enjoy it.
>>
Don't let the start of the game put you off. I was underwhelmed by the game until I got past the fair.
>>
I always have Magus in my party even if he's garbage, guess I like that edgelord too much.

But like everyone says, the game is so easy, but so easy that it shouldn't matter.

Even so I remember when I was a kid, the Dragon Tank wrecking my ass so hard, for me it was a impossible boss battle. After finally finishing him I was really happy.
>>
>>2875736
>What am I in for?

Fun.

Yeah, whichever characters you find the most fun to play.

Ayla is the only one who allows you to steal though, and at one part of the game, the only one to fight (instead of sneaking around).
>>
>>2878378
I use him because he looks like Trunks.
I use Ayla because she looks like Vegeta.
I use Crono because he looks like Piccolo.
>>
Just go with your favorite characters, the game isn't too hard.

Don't skip any battles (not too many) unless you're backtracking.

All the major sidequests open up right before the end of the game. You should do them all, they're fun content and good for exp.
>>
>>2875820
Radical Dreamers is good to play afterward for some feels.
Chrono Cross should be played with the mindset that it's an unrelated game with ties to CT.
>>
>>2875787
>very easily
Bro, do you even Haste + Frog Flare?
>>
It's an amazing game, if rather easy.

Also, and party is good but remember that using either Marle or Frog will gimp you somewhat.
>>
>>2878448
Haste Helms are a thing, Frog Flare does garbage damage, just like all dual techs.
>>
Best advice I can give is go with who you like. The game offers the element of starting over with your end game stats to get multiple endings. Go with a different party and make different choices the second time around.
>>
Personally, I like the all female crew for the non-linear game play.
>>
>>2875736
WARNING IN CASE YOU SOMEHOW MISS THE IN VIDEO WARNING + SKIP BUTTON

this video has a massive spoiler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrhYxhruwsk

The game is great and all parties are great
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.