[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows 95/98 games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Eldothkron.jpg (21 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Eldothkron.jpg
21 KB, 210x330
So, playing these things on a Windows 7 machine seems nothing short of a nightmare. Dos games can be made playable with Dosbox, but when it comes to games that were specifically made for Windows, am I shit ton out of luck on making them run on a Windows 7 modern machine?
>>
Good christ, all I can do at this point is pray there's a GOG version because I cannot into computers.

I just want to play some fucking Shivers and this goddamn machine updated its own damn self to Windows 10 a few months ago - which is a better system for everything except the games.
>>
>>2875523
Yeah, pisses me off since I wanted to get down to some adventure games I missed back in the day.
>>
>das it mane
>>
VirtualBox. It's easy. Look up a tutorial or something.
>>
>how play things
depends on the game
>>
>>2875523
>Windows 10
they dropped a lot of legacy stuff in it you know

tried a virtual machine win Win9x on it?

if you have the time, space, money and willpower, you could get yourself a retro PC with actual Win9x on it
>>
>>2876267
This is what I'm currently attempting. Win98se drivers are a bitch to find and apply to the machine.
>>
Have a similar problem. I'll look into the Virtualbox thing, though I doubt it will help me.
>>
>>2876264
That doesn't really work for 3D games. Works great for a ton of old educational games.
>>
>>2877296
if it's an accelerated 3D game, there's a very high chance it'll work on Win7

the biggest problem is with 2D games
>>
pcem

http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/
>>
>>2875523
My Desktop uses Windows 10 and all my games run fine. The other day I decided to install BG 1 and 2 from GOG on my laptop which has Windows 7.

Baldur's Gate 1 worked fine, but even though it was from GOG, Baldur's Gate 2 was one giant clusterfuck of unending problems. And checking the GOG forums, it seems like every other person having that problem was using Windows 7. I'd argue that even Vista was more user-friendly with getting games to run.
>>
>>2880124
Installed BG2 (Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn Patch Version 230) last week on Windows 7. No problems at all. Some older games don`t like to be installed to /ProgramFiles. It has something to do with permission rights, I guess.
>>
dos box has settings for windows games, I think? I got burn time to run pretty easily. I even found a way to run playboy mansion(ps2 disk) on windows 8.
>>
>>2880285
windows 7*
>>
>>2880275
Hmm. That's a good point. I wonder if it did install to Program Files instead of (x86)? I'm gonna go check that right now.
>>
>>2876267
The physical option is a nice one. I did it myself and it runs games like a song. I also keep my old XP box around because there are games which won't run properly/run but with quirks on even win7, to say nothing of win10.

The lesson as per usual is to never expect a specialized and rarely/never updated software like a video game to run properly on any pc just because said pc is newer and has a new operating system.
>>
>>2880337
try something like C:\BG2 and run as admin if that doesn`t work
>>
>>2876273
Damn straight they are, glad I'm not the only one.

You found a working driver for a sidewinder USB pad? I have the sidewinder suite installed but it doesn't pick up my pad at all. Also, any success installing dos games on it?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.