[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What screen do you guys play your old games on? CRT? 4:3 LCD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: 1908FPb.jpg (326 KB, 764x792) Image search: [Google]
1908FPb.jpg
326 KB, 764x792
What screen do you guys play your old games on? CRT? 4:3 LCD? 16:9 LCD? For you LCD users, what upscaler are you using?

I felt the need to hook up my Saturn so I picked up a cheap Chinese "Panlong" upscaler. My monitor wants to stretch 1024x768 to 16:9 for some reason, so I'm looking for a used 4:3 LCD screen like an old model Dell Ultrasharp.

I'm not looking for perfection; I'm not going to spend the money on a Framemeister. Just want it to be decent. I'm curious what you guys use for your setups.
>>
>>2875267
I use a 42" RCA 1080p 60hz with a Framemeister. This TV is amazing when using a Framemeister. The 240p test suite records only 0.04 frames of lag!
>>
I kept my old CRT TV that I got in '99.
>>
CRT is by far the cheapest option
>>
>>2875365
You are out of your mind. You can practically get old office monitors for free
>>
Philips 109b here. Has built in scanline when I play 800x600 and under. Since its a digital hybrid, 3d games look spectacular but games made for 720p and up have terrible text downscaling.
>>
Projector usually. Its native resolution is 720p, but I keep it 4:3 and feed it RGB Scarf because yay Europe. No lag and surprisingly pretty.
>>
>>2875371
this. i do IT stuff for a lot of businesses and niggas have so many 4:3 flat screens laying around. only thing that may be an issue is refresh rate/ghosting
>>
>>2875267
I use an LCD, I play most my games in RetroArch in a 4x upscale window with Bilinear filtering.
I have a pretty big screen that I sit pretty close to, so that's why I don't play in fullscreen
>>
>>2875371
>>2875439
Not him but are they as good as old Sony CRTs for example?
>>
I use a PVM but CRTs are finicky and honestly frustrate me, I wish there was another option that my eyes would settle for. I'm sick of hauling around heavy, clunky sets and dealing with convergence issues and gaussing and whatever. Framemeisters and emulator filters can get close but just aren't /quite/ there.

That said OP if you don't want perfection then a so-so upscaler and a scanline generator is probably fine.
>>
Sony PVM 20M2MDU. I use the wii virtual console to play retro games and I hook it up via component cables because NTSC
>>
CRT (27 sony trinitron). I feel dirty gaming on anything else

>there are people on /vr/ who only play games on their smart phone.
>>
I'm debating if I should drop money on a Framemeister or a nice CRT. Can the Framemeister do a screen roundness filter? I like my old bubble screens.
>>
>>2876702
Framemeister looks really nice but i cant stand even a frame of lag so I just do rgb/component with my PVM. If you want to spend the money and dont mind lag definately go framemeister, as long as you have a 720p tv to upscale properly.
>>
trinitron kv21m3l , with everything hooked up via RGB scart

and downstairs i have component on a hdtv for my wii and ps2 for emulators\fightan ports
>>
>>2875267
42" plasma. I don't give no fucks.

A scaler would be nice to get rid of the interlacing and maybe make the graphics sharper, but other than that I'm not complaining. Framemeister costs an arm and a leg, but supposedly a guy is working on some new scaler which is cheaper and handles resolution changes better.
>>
>>2875447
Hm, interesting. Kill yourself.
>>
I play all my old consoles on a CRT. I'm working on getting RGB Scart cables on all of them, I'm still using composhit for most of them unfortunately. I emulate on a laptop and use the laptop screen. I also emulate on Wii from time to time and I use an LCD for that, it's hooked up with component cables. Personally I think old game consoles look the best on CRTs, I don't have any issues with using LCDs though. They're fine.
>>
Probably 50% on my Xperia Play, 40% on my PVM-14M2U and 10% on my 60" plasma. A couple months ago I was playing a lot on my front porch on a 26" KVM I put into a 60s TV's cabinet but not lately.
>>
crt and 4:3 black bars on 16:9
>>
>>2875371
>practically
But you can literally get CRTs for free. Someone might even pay you to haul one away. And they look better, much better than an old LCD.
>>
>>2876773
>and dont mind lag
Framemeisters have less than a single frame of lag you fucking dolt
>>
>>2876804
> but supposedly a guy is working on some new scaler which is cheaper and handles resolution changes better.
I already have a Framemesiter, but source?
>>
>>2875267
CRT 14" PVM-14L4, also 14" PVM-14N2. I use either one of these most of the time. Also 42" plasma through Framemeister that I use whenever 14" feels small or when I want to play multiplayer etc. (Although for 2-player games two daisy-chained 14" PVMs works out pretty ok actually)

Problem with the plasma though is it has trouble whenever the screen is saturated and will do color shifts and wierd shit.
>>
Old LCDs looked horrifyingly bad. And with their terrible refresh and input lag will make most action games, fighting games, and stgs on the Saturn unplayable. Which are of course, most of the library.
>>
File: DSCN0086.jpg (466 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0086.jpg
466 KB, 1600x1200
CRT for cartridge games
>>
File: DSCN0085.jpg (469 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0085.jpg
469 KB, 1600x1200
>>2878657
lcd for disc consoles
>>
>>2878657
What's with the shrine on top of the TV? Wouldn't those fall off if you ever actually used the TV?
>>
>>2878691
How do you use a TV?
>>
>>2878691
the tv for the most part is stationary anon. I suppose if it made a sudden movement they could fall. They're propped up with a Game Gear and Gameboy and have been there long enough to get dusty.
>>
Pushing the power button on the TV or opening/closing the doors to access the consoles below the TV could cause movement. NES games specifically aren't the most stable when standing up like that.
>>
>>2878704
Seems to be working out. maybe I should tape them down or make a case though.
>>
>>2878709
Or treat them like games instead of some holy grail trophy display that would become some awkward conversation starter and creep out anyone who may ever end up in your attic.
>>
>>2878716
It's a loft and they're usually way more creeped out by my puppetry of the penis.
>>
>>2878691
>Wouldn't those fall off if you ever actually used the TV?
what
>>
>get 55'' 1080p LCD for Christmas
>hook my NES up through composite

Holy shit, it's so fucking ugly. I thought it was just a meme. What do I need to buy to fix this? Do I have to dump $300 dollars on a Framemeister?
>>
>>2878696
>>2878697
>>2878804
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_wave
>>
Picked up a small 4:3 lcd monitor off ebay for 10 bucks. I then picked up this cheap little box that converts component into VGA with an audio out.

total: $20
>>
>>2875267
I use a boring 17" PC CRT. Run my games on emulators at 640x480 or 640x400, with 2x nearest scaling. I get some cool scanlines too.
>>
>>2878867
yup.. framemeister is the best upscaler for that
>>
>>2875267
I have a 19" viewsonic flat CRT for my win98 pc. I recently got a 17" gateway which I'm intending to use with an XP machine of mine later, as well as with my dreamcast.
>>
>>2878867
>Do I have to dump $300 dollars on a Framemeister?
Its 100% worth it. Just save a tiny amount and get it. You won't regret it.
>>
>>2877750
I do this for wii games, someday soon I'm getting a bigger 4:3 that does up to 1080i so it will be my go-to 6th and up TV. I'm interested to see what PS3 looks like on an HD CRT.
>>
File: 1449201187361.png (24 KB, 331x286) Image search: [Google]
1449201187361.png
24 KB, 331x286
>>2878661
>>2878657
this looks so comfy
>>
>>2878867
or just buy a USB NES controller and play an emulator on your PC hooked up to said 55" TV.
and never notice the difference
>>
>>2878978
The wife LOVES this post
>>
>>2878657
That's what I call comfy.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.