[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good MS-DOS era flight sims, /vr/? Pic highly related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 12
File: 343-2-f117a-stealth-fighter[1].jpg (10 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
343-2-f117a-stealth-fighter[1].jpg
10 KB, 320x256
What are some good MS-DOS era flight sims, /vr/?
Pic highly related, playing this and f-19 was a blast.
>>
>>2874969
F-15 Strike Eagle III and B-17 Flying Fortress
Aces Over Europe/the Pacific
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe
X-Wing and/or Wing Commander
Gunship 2000
Harrier Jump Jet
Dawn Patrol
Shuttle
Wing Commander Privateer and/or Elite Plus
>>
File: f-18_interceptor_01.png (10 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
f-18_interceptor_01.png
10 KB, 320x256
This one was good, but for Amiga only.
http://hol.abime.net/469
>>
Microsoft Flight Simulator 1
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator 3
Microsoft Flight Simulator 4
Microsoft Flight Simulator 5
>>
>>2876079
I'm sensing a pattern here, and a lack of MS Combat Flight Simulator
>>
Better hope you have the original manual because believe me when I say, you can't play most of these things without instructions.
>>
Retro flight sims are cool if you can look past the dated setting of many of them (bombing Moscow instead of dune coons).
>>
File: pic51.gif (45 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
pic51.gif
45 KB, 480x360
>>2876112
I remember vividly the manual of TFX. The WHOLE keyboard was mapped, thrice (modifier keys)! That's utterly bonkers.
Also, saw the Falcon 4.0 box in store once. Several pounds, because of the massively heavy CD inside, and the 1 inch thick manual.

I kind of disliked how Flight Unlimited somewhat forgot its aerobatics origin with Flight Unlimited II. It's a gorgeous game still, but Flight Unlimited was in a class of its own, with the textured ground, lens flairs, blackouts, torque rolling and all these cool things, while MS Flight Simulator was busy giving you flat shaded polygons in FS 4.0
>>
>>2876117
got to look at them as historic settings (think WW II, just more current), instead of dated settings
>>
>>2876119
>flairs
flares, dammit
>>
>>2876112
I have an original copy of Novalogic's Wolfpack and I've never been able to figure out how to play it. The manual is something like 60 pages.
>>
File: tba90e6_17321950jv.jpg (36 KB, 661x562) Image search: [Google]
tba90e6_17321950jv.jpg
36 KB, 661x562
>>2876127
>60 pages
>>
File: cyberpunk.jpg (73 KB, 467x599) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk.jpg
73 KB, 467x599
>>2876079
i played only 3rd

need to go fly more DOS
>>
They're all shit. Play some real games instead of having a shitty watered down version of a job.
>>
File: Fighter Pilot 1985.png (3 KB, 384x272) Image search: [Google]
Fighter Pilot 1985.png
3 KB, 384x272
>>2876112
The older ones are pretty easy to figure out. I had a pirate copy of Fighter Pilot (Digitial Integration, 1985) and basically fitured out the controls by just testing each key. There wasn't much to it, but at the time it seemed really advanced and felt like a real simulation.
>>
File: wargame.jpg (282 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
wargame.jpg
282 KB, 1600x1200
>>2876128
> manual thicker than old Avalon Hill tabletop wargames (before Advanced Squad Leader, anyway)
Hey, I thought computers were supposed to make things easy!

Pic is some random game from this thread:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/5848416/
>>
File: overlay.jpg (127 KB, 1590x558) Image search: [Google]
overlay.jpg
127 KB, 1590x558
>>2876184
>testing each key
I figured out F-16 Falcon and Fighter Bomber that way. But some other old simulations were pretty deep for the hardware they were running on like Gunship and a manual and overlay was really fucking handy.
>>
>>2876197
>overlay
I miss those days. Now each keyboard has a non-standard design, so you can't add these things any longer.
>>
>>2876184
I had that game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJ1DdURN54
on my Amstrad.
Christ, my ass was destroyed as a kid, I think I managed landing only once.
>>
File: missedit_000.png (96 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
missedit_000.png
96 KB, 640x480
>no one mentioned Eagle Dynamics' SU-27 Flanker yet
>>
>>2876119
>I kind of disliked how Flight Unlimited somewhat forgot its aerobatics origin with Flight Unlimited II
Wasn't there a story out there that they had to ditch the physics from the first game because, while great physics simulation, it was total spaghetti code and they fired the only guy who understood it?
>>
I remember having some f14 simulation or something on the macs at school and the grd 7 teacher printing out the fuckhuge manual for me.
>>
>>2876227
Landing was tricky. I think you had to maintain enough speed or else you'd lose control in a stall or something. Getting really low in altitude before decelerating might have worked, but I can't remember for sure. And there was also the undercarriage to worry about (it gets destroyed if exposed at too high velocity).
I noticed that you can basically land anywhere that's flat ground (any place that has no mountains on the map), and then just taxi to the runway. Kinda cheesy, but easier than trying to land perfectly...

Here's another video (Atari version):
https://youtube.com/watch?v=KKFxXFogZEE
>>
File: longbow.gif (45 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
longbow.gif
45 KB, 400x300
Jane's AH 64 Longbow was really good. It was simulation game of the year iirc.
>>
>>2874969
I had an article about it in a magazine of 1998 somewhere. Well, it is in Russian, so not very much value for English internets.
>>
>>2874969
F-14 Fleet Defender was fucking god tier, and no one else has ever made anything close to it.

So many F-14 systems actually modelled. It was fucking mind blowing. The manual was like 800 pages. When they say speed up/you're high/low, the best way to correct either is actually the opposite of what you're think.

If you're fast, it's better to pull up. If you're high, it's better to slow down.
>>
File: 63022-F14TomcatFleetDefender.jpg (30 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
63022-F14TomcatFleetDefender.jpg
30 KB, 480x300
>>2877086
>textured graphics on my 386dx with a vga card.
>RIO seat can control and launch 6 phoenix at 6 separate targets being beamed to you from an awacs or other tomcat
Muh dick.
>>
>>2877097
>Having your nose blown off and radar destroyed by UFO
>Shooting phoenix with no guidance set to auto acquire, it acquires the UFO and kills it.
>>
>>2874969
Red Baron and Aces over Europe. The former especially.
>become the ace
>can paint your plane yourself now
>Message: baron von Richthoffen asks you to join Jasta 11, would you agree?
>fucking yes i am!
>your flight leader for next mission: Lothar von Richthoffen
>your flight leader for next mission: Manfred von Richthoffen
>you are a flight leader now
>1st wingman: Lothar von Richthoffen
>2nd wingman: Hermann Goering

Spirit of an era perfectly captured, hands down. Also, man, that theme is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoABC6B8oG0
>>
Oh fuck, i am the only one who mentioned it?
why.png
>>
>>2877086
Microprose were absolutely god-level with the amount of craft and attention to detail they put into their games.
>>
>>2877776
and then they got bought, gutted, and eventually closed. That'll show them to ever dare try to make good games.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.