[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xmas Haul Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10
File: XmasGift2015.jpg (3 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
XmasGift2015.jpg
3 MB, 2988x5312
So I didn't see one, so I thought I'd start it. Show off your awesome retro gifts!

My fiancee got this for me for Xmas. Got me completely by surprise, though she knows I'm a huge Nintendo nerd.

Does this mean she loves me, or does she want me to go blind?
>>
>>2874013
Are you in Japan or something? or do you open gifts at 12am?
>>
>>2874061
Maybe he exchanges gifts on Christmas Eve.
>>
>>2874013
people don't buy me games because everyone knows I'm a video-gaming addict, the last video game related gift from my immediate family was a Playstation 1 back in 1999, I wish I was exaggerating
>>
>>2874061
>>2874067

Yeah, just me and my fiancee. We opened them tonight and saving family stuff for tomorrow.
>>
>>2874081
That's so nice, I got one of my friends a copy of the new tomb raider game on amazon, it's not retro, but still semi-related. I wish I had somebody in my life who shared the same love for older video games.
>>
>>2874013

So you're happy that your wife is trying to give you eye cancer?
>>
>>2874130
I played it for about 20 minutes earlier tonight.

When can i expect to be fully blind?
>>
>>2874149
Just play some red alarm for an hour.
>>
>>2874078
im sorry to hear that.
do you still play games anon?
>>
File: red_alarm.gif (5 KB, 342x200) Image search: [Google]
red_alarm.gif
5 KB, 342x200
Pro tip: Red Alarm is actually a great game and one of the best for the VB, but only if you learn the controls. Otherwise you will quit very fast, convinced it handles like shit.

The two things you need to know are that there's a button to hold for tighter turning (left trigger I think) and that your ship can "strafe" using the right d-pad.

Both are a big help navigating tight corridors, dodging projectiles, and when used together you can do stuff like circle-strafe bosses. Once you master the use of these techniques you'll be having loads of fun.

It is not properly a Star Fox clone btw, but something like a 3D R-Type or Gradius. I think people expected straight up VB Starfox and felt let down.
>>
>>2874226
That looks quite amazing. And sounds super fun!
>>
>>2874013

Well now that you have the virtual boy and already have Wario you have to get Red Alarm.
>>
>>2874248
You might also want to pick up Jack Bros! Hee Ho!
>>
>>2874246

It is, but it had the same problem as the VB itself: Dumbshit consumers. The VB only causes eye strain if you never bother to precisely tune it for your own eyes using the knob at the top. Some kid who got it for Xmas in the 90s wouldn't even have noticed that thing, just played it till his eyes hurt.

I can accept a few people were genuinely sensitive, the red/black contrast didn't help but when I ask people who had one about the knob, many of them say "what knob?"

Errbody blamed Nintendo because it's easy, the VB was a failure anyway in terms of sales. But if you look at its field of vision and clarity, it was an amazingly good HMD for when it came out.

It's on a stand because satisfactory head tracking did not exist then. It sucked dog balls. Even if it did exist, the VB couldn't muster the framerate necessary to prevent nausea just from turning your head to look around.

The one bad design choice was using red LEDs only. Blue and green LEDs were too expensive during development but plummeted in cost just ~3 years later.

Had they released it a year in the the N64's lifespan as a peripheral for certain N64 games it would've had the 2 main things it was missing: Color, and the kind of hardware necessary to supply a satisfactory VR experience.

Oh well, it's a moot point now. We have the Oculus and Nintendo will inevitably return to VR if the PSVR does well. When they do, I hope there's some colorized VB titles for its virtual console.
>>
VB GAMES ON 3DS WHEN

IT WAS MEANT TO BE
>>
My little sister bought me Megaman 1.

I totally fucked up and bought it for myself a few days earlier. She just sold it to her boyfriend and bought me 5 though, now I'm almost done the Megaman series for the NES (only need 4 now).

Fuck, I felt like a real idiot when I sent her a text message with the picture of the game that I snagged from a local reseller and she just called me a retard for buying it right before Christmas.
>>
I bought myself battle kid 1 and 2 from RetroUSB because they were on sale, and I got a good deal on Lufia and the Fortress of Doom.

I also got the Joy of Painting on DVD so I guess I'm taking up painting.
>>
Nothing retro per se, but I did get a $20 Nintendo eshop card which I've so far used to download Mario's Picross onto my 3DS.
>>
File: IMG_20151225_142158.jpg (567 KB, 1611x1939) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151225_142158.jpg
567 KB, 1611x1939
my only retro related gift
i love it
>>
Got a practically mint Atomic Purple Gameboy Color, just like I had as a kid (til my brother left it out in the rain). The unlit screen actually isn't as bad as I remembered, works great in single-light-source environments like bathrooms.

Also got a see-through blue GBA like the old days, but the latch on the battery cover busted when I went to put new batteries in and the power switch is all loose and floppy, it's a bitch to turn on and any small bumps to it will cause it to turn off. Told my mom thank you very much for the effort and went on ebay to order myself another one.

Also got a New 3ds as my 'big/capstone' present. /vr/ related since I'm now trying to navigate the whole homebrew morass so I can play the SNES games I already own without shelling out more shekels to Jewtendo.
>>
I got Dracula X.
>>
my Xmas gifts
>>
>>2874158
>implying anyone could play that game for more than 20 seconds.
>>
>>2876918
what a loser
>>
>>2877349

say that to my face not online and see what happens
>>
File: IMG_2126.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2126.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Wife gave me Mario kart, Sister gave me Star wars.
>>
Some prototype carts. An NESRGB for my Famicom.
>>
Gift to myself.
>>
File: KF2_Shot_008.jpg (16 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
KF2_Shot_008.jpg
16 KB, 320x240
Bomberman GB3
Sa・Ga3時空の覇者 (Final Fantasy Legend III)
King's Field II (JPN, which would be KF1 in the U.S.)
Final Fantasy XII (JPN)
ゼルダの伝説 リンクの目覚め (Zelda: Link's Awakening)
... and a PSOne controller

Not much of a haul compared to everybody else I guess, but these were items that I wanted. Definitely grateful that my friends and relatives could actually dig up all those imports on their own.
>>
I got two $50 eBay gift cards because everyone knows I'm impossible to buy for.
>>
>>2877275
Are you that Mexican guy who spent nearly this whole year in the BST threads looking for Lolo 3?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Only missing 3 games now. Classic metroid for gba, trilogy on Wii and other m.
>>
You lucky motherfucker, I'd never get Virtual Boy related anything for Christmas.

Get a Flashboy. There's some seriously good shit out there, some almost impossible to buy now, but the Flashboy will alleviate this problem. Bound High and Street Fighter 2 for example. For released games, Wario Land, Red Alarm, Jack Bros, Panic Bomber are great...actually most of the games are worth playing.
>>
>>2874013
Why didn't she get you a Retron 5? Would have made you BOTH happy!
>>
>>2877347
>hating on Red Alarm

Whoa whoa, that's one of the best games on the system!

As for me, I didn't get anything game-related except for some normie game shirts, a tingle plush, and a copy of the untold history of japanese video games, which I unfortunately have a copy of already. Of the shirts, I do rather like the one that's just the N64 logo. Maybe because it was my 'main' system for my pre-teen years that was 'mine' as opposed to 'borrowed from my older brother'

I also was given some amiibos. Man you can't do anything with those things now that they're in reasonable supply in the US.
>>
>>2878386
yeah, never got any luck, and i was even burned down by some shit on some forums who was very prissy about it, no joke.

no biggie, considering the game is now topping at $50 plus shipping, yeah i at the very least saved 15 dollars, but i wish i saved 12 more on the auctions, also the guy who was going to sell it here didn't showed pics and shipping would be hell from the US to mexico.
>>
>>2878247
Did you get Bomberman GB 3 in the tin? I got a complete copy this summer at a game convention.
>>
>>2877593
That star wars is some quality shit right there. I actually remember passing it as kid.
>>
>>2878982
You can go ahead and skip Other M
>>
>>2879705

Nope. Cart only. I'm not really into collecting, so I don't always pay extra for the original boxes, manuals, or special editions. I guess it's nice to own that stuff sometimes, but it's not a priority for me.
>>
>>2880974
The metal tins Hudson used for gameboy were pretty bad ass though.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2874013
Got these games in great condition too.

Demons crest was a gift to myself I couldn't resist it being £150 it's usually £200+
>>
File: image.jpg (913 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
913 KB, 2048x1536
I bought this for myself on my bday. Which was yesterday, actually.
>>
>>2881330
huh I never noticed Ness's reflection in the starmans visor
>>
>>2881330
>Always saw this game at Target
>Really wanted it because somehow, to my stupid 6 year old mind, the underwhelming trailer kinda reminded me of Crystalis.
>Didn't actually own a SNES so I never got it.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.