[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I honestly had no idea Shadowrun on SNES was such a great game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: Shadowrun_snes.png (8 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun_snes.png
8 KB, 256x224
I honestly had no idea Shadowrun on SNES was such a great game. I remember my cousin having it when it when it came out but I was more interested in FF at the time. Is the Genny game as good as this?
>>
The genesis game is much different, but if you love the atmosphere and story of shadowrun, you will love it anyways.

The hacking in Genesis is much much much better also.
>>
>>2873052
Sweet thanks Anon.
>>
>>2873051
can somebody give me the lowdown on this game?
>>
>>2873824
www.google.com
>>
>>2873824
video game adaptation of the cyberpunk pen and paper Shadowrun franchise.

actionRPG/point and click
>>
Ive played and beat the snes shadowrun several times. Tried the genesis version last week for about an hour. Heard great things about it, but man, shit is seriously sucking ass in comparison. Keep going?
>>
>>2873827
i know what it is, you dipshit

I want to know how it plays, how it compares to other games, you know, an actual explanation by somebody who's beat it and can talk freely on an anonymous message board as opposed to PC bullshit anywhere else
>>
>>2873847

Definitely ranks up there in the must play snes rpg realm. It gets a little grindy toward the junkyard, but everything after that is mostly smooth sailing. You control your character with the dpad, and press the a button to initiate a cursor used for aiming or selecting. You buy party members. Neat cyberpunk atmosphere and a little creepy sometimes
>>
>>2873845
It took me a few tries to get into the genesis version too. once you learn how to make money easily (hacking information and selling it) and buying sweet ass weps and shit, then its smooth sailing. I fucking hate the wilderness though, get lost so easily.
>>
Protip for those looking to play through the Genesis game without spending months if not years grinding out nuyen.
ABACAB
Yes, it's cheating. Just fucking do it. Otherwise, the entire game will go like this:
>First story mission
>Need 250 nuyen
>Single gun mag costs 25
>Takes nearly a full mag to take down enemies
>Bodyguard mission(2-5 enemies) nets 45-55 nuyen
>Ghoul clearing missions pay 10 nuyen a head
>Only way to profit is to do courier missions for 35-55 nuyen each and hope you don't encounter trouble
>Finally finish first mission and want to upgrade your gear? Better gun will cost about 600+ nuyen, better armor is 600+ nuyen as well
>Only way to profit is pennies at a time until you finally save up the dosh to start making money off of hacking
>Accidentally run into powerful system, lose your best and most expensive program
>gonna cost thousands to replace it so you can hack again
>back to grinding for little nuyen at a time

You laugh now, wait until you are spending 250,000 nuyen or more to replace your programs that get eaten up by tar pits and tar paper, on a run that's only paying 6,000 + whatever you are getting from selling the data. It's a fun game but grindy and unbalanced as hell. Use ABACAB for the best experience.
>>
>>2873845
Genesis version is VERY slow at the start because you lack nuyen and karma for your items and skills. Once you get that rolling the game opens up much more.
>>
>>2874268
If you cheat, you might as well not even play.
>game is all about grinding for cash and doing shit missions
>gee let me circumvent all of that
>>
>>2874498
The start of the game is widely considered the worst due to the ridiculously slow pace at which you get some cash, and the difficulty compared to your overall strength is disproportionate as fuck.

It's very, very badly designed, so shut the fuck up, faggot.
>>
>>2874510
Shadowrun on sega genesis is fucking easy as fuck. You're just bad.

So, YOU shut the fuck up and please hang yourself this christmas day you waste of life.
>>
>>2874268
Or you could sell your starting equipment to hire the Dwarf guy for a single run. Sell all his shit to buy back your brother's equipment. This gets you access to Mortimer Reed, who gives you the lowest tier of cyberspace missions. In cyberspace, find a system where you can beeline for the paydata and just steal it over and over for lodsemone.
>>
>>2874764

**No one responds as they're likely trying this**
Sometimes I love this board.
>>
>>2873051
/TG/ > GURPS > Genesis Shadowrun > Pile of shit I threw in your Nintendofag face > Shillbox Shadowrun > SNES Shadowrun > PC Shadowrun Muh Safespaces edition
>>
>>2873847
Google/Mobygames/RPGCodex/etc etc etc etc.

Did I violate your safespace, #brownlivesmatter ???
>>
>>2873824

It's hard to see why the game is good from how it plays. You don't move during combat, you only move your cursor and tap 'A' (there are spells too, but they don't play a big role). There is a little skill involved since you can avoid aggro'ing every enemy in a room at once, but it is very basic.

More of the game is exploration and plot. You learn keywords by talking to people, and you have ask other people about those keywords. So you have to be using your brain a little bit and paying attention to guess the right keywords to ask each person. That said, there isn't any penalty, you can ask any obviously person every keyword you know when you get stuck.

There is also a little bit of adventure game to it. You can pickup items, examine them, and use them on things or give them to the right person. It doesn't have fail states though like a point and click game, it is more like the dialogue system where failing to guess the right thing only leaves you wondering what else the right thing could be.

The appeal of the game is the setting and mood. Even all the combat and dialogue systems which I just described as being very basic on paper come alive with the music playing and circumstances your character finds himself in.
>>
>>2875143
Typo: meant to say "you can ask the obviously important people every keyword you know when you get stuck"
>>
>>2874516
We hold ourselves to a higher standard here.
>>>/v/
Your youthful vigor will be appreciated there, kiddo.
>>
>>2875065
How old are you, honesty? Your post reminds me of a middle school child.
>>
>>2875150

Wow, go back to reddit you neck bearded pretentious fuck.
>>
>>2875315
Nah, as a successful, intelligent member of this board I would rather stay. You kids call me when you're an adult making more than six figs and we can converse.
>>
>>2874268

Thank you for going through the time to post this tip.

>>2874764

Will likely try this, too.

>>2875065

Made me laugh, very funny.

>>2875329

You got a mil in the bank? Shit, man, feeling charitable at all? I need to pay some car insurance!
>>
>>2875065
God damn I really disliked what they did with the PC Shadowrun games. I didn't play Returns but people said they fixed Dragon Fall so I got that and it is just so restrictive compared to the Genesis game. How the hell do you manage to do that? I just wanted to dick around and do shadowruns but they were limited and you were forced into the story.
>>
>>2874498
>game is all about grinding for cash and doing shit missions
This frankly doesn't sound good.
>>
>>2876147
You gotta start from the bottom to get to the top chummer.
>>
>>2876157
This.
>>
>>2875525
Sounds just like the SNES game, you can't even Shadowrun in that one either. For better or for worse the SNES game is more popular or well known, and the newer games are mostly based off of that.
>>
>>2874498
However with the cheat there is plenty of content and the game flows so much better.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.