[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an old FFVII disk. I want to fucking play it. I got to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Disk.png (2 MB, 1195x581) Image search: [Google]
Disk.png
2 MB, 1195x581
I have an old FFVII disk. I want to fucking play it. I got to Bugenhagen, but the game freezes up in the middle of his speech every time. I tried cleaning it with water and toilet paper, but that did nothing. I tried resetting the PS2 a bunch of times; nothing. I don't want to buy a new disk because even used copies are like 30 dollars. I'm prepared to try anything to fix this, since the alternative is throwing it out. Tell me the arcane secrets of disk cleaning, /vr/. You're my only hope.
>>
>>2872715

The fucking thread.. AGAIN?!?!
>>
>>2872728
I've never made this thread before.
>>
>>2872715
You can pick up that game for 9.99 at any retro game store or half price books.

Also use a lighter. Hold it far away from the scratch you want fixed and slowly warm it up until the plastic melts ever so slightly and becomes uniform. Don't do this if you're retarded and don't understand heat though, you'll warp the disc and you're fucked.
>>
Get it resurfaced
>>
File: IMG_0517.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0517.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
It's a pretty common glitch, for whatever reason Bugenhagen's observatory area is prone to crashes. When I played FFVII earlier this year it'd get to this part (pic related) and freeze indefinitely, it can freeze earlier too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKc88ijUDwo

Luckily a friend let me borrow her copy of disc 1 and I was able to progress with it. If you do end up buying a new disc 1, get a Greatest Hits edition.
>>
>>2872715
>I have an old FFVII disk
>an old disk
>an
>one

Final Fantasy VII had multiple disks.
To be honest, if your disk doesn't work, you're better off emulating.
>>
>>2872715
Get iso. Burn it. Play it.
>>
>>2872808
This. You're literally harming nobody pirating a game this old that made so much money. Plus you have the original disk.
>>
>>2872837
>This. You're literally harming nobody pirating a game this old

Square still sells FF7 on multiple on PC, PS4 and mobile. The game is still selling millions.
>>
Don't emulate it OP, get another real disc, emulation isn't cool
>>
>>2872857
But are the people who made FFVII still in Square? Will they get money?
>>
>>2872715
Mod your ps1 and burn the game.
>>
You're on the ps2? Do you have smoothing and quick loading (or whatever the fuck its called) enabled? If so, disable both.
You can resurface the disc using toothpaste - look for a tutorial.
As said, this is a shitty spot on the game...and its prone to failing.
Got any friends who have the game or another console?
>>
>>2872715
i've seen single discs up on ebay, but for dumb prices
>>
play it on an actual ps1 or get you're laser adjusted/replaced; ps2 has difficulty reading dyed disks
>>
>>2872857
Even if you go at this angle it'd be better to buy it digitally on those systems vs. A used copy from a store. People playing it on the original discs playing that used copy for themselves, not for the devs of 20 years ago or the Square Enix of today.

Unless they bought it new online. Iirc Square Enix still makes new copy of some of their big PSX games for some reason.
>>
>>2873002
>Do you have smoothing and quick loading (or whatever the fuck its called) enabled? If so, disable both.
BUTTHURT CRT SHILL BYE
>>
>>2872715
You could try swapping the disc for disc 2. All the discs have the entire game data on them, the only thing that is different is the cutscenes. So if you are still on disc 1, and you swap to disc 2, everything will play the same except the wrong cutscenes will play.
>>
>>2872715
I think the problem with the disc is pretty obviously that it's covered by thousands of dark gray and blue specks. It's supposed to be black. The specks are even crawling all along the edges making the usually smooth edges all sawtoothed and dangerous. Resurfacing won't do shit for this it's a systemic problem.

Seriously though just softmod your PS2 already, Idiot.
>>
>>2873002
OP here. I don't know anything about the mechanics of PS2s, but I am on the PS2. I do have a friend with a copy, but unfortunately he lives on the other side of the country and I'd prefer not to borrow his due to mail costs. How do I disable smoothing and quick loading?
>>2873097
I don't own a PS1, and even if I did, I doubt it would be able to connect into my HDTV.
>>2873212
I tried that. It played a cutscene of an airship taking off during the Bugenhagen cutscene, then glitched out and froze.
>>
>>2872715
You know toilet paper scratches disks right? Are you trolling?
>>
>>2872857
It's not pirating if you own the game. But fuck em at this point anyway.
>>
>>2872715
Use rubbing alcohol to clean the disc with. Wipe it from the center of the disc outwards in straight lines.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.