[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some obscure JRPGs that not a lot of people played?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: tecmo-secret-of-the-stars-usa.png (220 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
tecmo-secret-of-the-stars-usa.png
220 KB, 475x347
What are some obscure JRPGs that not a lot of people played?

I'm in the market to play something new, not Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest or anything else I've already played.

Pic related. I remember this being a seriously weird game.
>>
monstania
>>
>INB4 someone ironically posts the hilarious post of: "Final Fantasy VII

Also, most of the obscure ones I've played were pretty crap.
Robotrek, Secret of the Stars, Bahamut Lagoon, Legend of the White Lion.
There's a reason they were obscure.
>>
>>2872549
>There's a reason they were obscure.

Not casual enough.
>>
>>2872534
Have you played the trendy fan-translated ones yet?

>Seiken Densetsu 3
>Tales of Phantasia
>Treasure of the Rudra
>Live-A-Live
>Star Ocean
>Bahamut Lagoon
>Mystic Ark
>Treasure Hunter G

The first RPG I ever played was actually Magic Knight Rayearth. It's the most cookie-cutter JRPG imaginable, but for some reason I really like how predictable it is. Great soundtrack, too.

Not obscure but rarely mentioned are the early Ys games
>>
>>2872553
complaining about casuals in a jrpg thread? are you having a giggle, m8?
>>
Shin Megami Tensei is still obscure for some casual rpg fans (aka Square-only fans) somehow. So if that's you, play SMT 1. Find the auto-map hack and the updated version of the fan translation.
>>
File: nigga what.jpg (26 KB, 500x277) Image search: [Google]
nigga what.jpg
26 KB, 500x277
>>2872549
>Robotrek
>Bahamut LAgoon
>pretty crap
>>
>>2872606
Yes. They're pretty crap.
There are tons of better obscure games on newer systems. Why bother playing some generic jrpg just because it's on an old system?
>>
Earthbound
>>
that kid looks like a fucking faggot on the cover
>>
>>2872590
To add on to this post. The updated translation that actually fucking works can be found in /vg/ somewhere in the SMT general OP, if not then ask for it in the thread.

The common first result on Google translation was done by a lazy group who claimed all of the game breaking bugs can't be fixed and it was literally the best anyone can do. With that said a single anon prove them wrong within a week.
>>
>>2872736
How are either Robotrek or Bahamut Lagoon generic? You seriously chose two of the most unique RPGs there. At least call them something else, I dunno, boring or something.
>>
>>2872549
Isn't white lion good just wierd? Never played it actually, only knowledge of it is from chrontendo so I'm probably wrong. Also robotrek is decently known, at least around here.
>>
Can you read Japanese? The really obscure titles are obviously those not translated to other languages.
>>
>>2872534
>Localized game
>Obscure

You fuckers never learn, do you?
And there's a good reason Secret of the Stars isn't popular, it's because it's utter garbage that miraculously made it through quality checks.

If you want actual obscure games go play Milandra, Solid Runner, Princess Minerva or Bounty Sword, those are obscure and at least they're miles better than SOTS.
>>
File: tao.jpg (102 KB, 523x370) Image search: [Google]
tao.jpg
102 KB, 523x370
Tao
>>
File: snes92.png (226 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
snes92.png
226 KB, 400x300
>>2872534
God tier RPG right there. The story is so deep and profound it makes me cry.
>>
>>2872798
Okay, not the anon you're talking to, but Robotrek is garbage. I can't even describe how shitty it is because it was offensive to all 5 senses the second I popped that turd in.
>>
>>2873239
Oh man. I forgot how SOTS had UPPER CASE FOR ALL THE TEXT. YEAH THIS IS TOTALLY AESTHETICALLY PLEASING TO READ.
>>
>>2873248
You may think it's garbage or shitty, but certainly it's far from "generic". Which other game before (or after) lets you build robots and invent stuff? Personally I liked the game, the story was retarded but it was kinda done on purpose and at least it wasn't wannabe epic like Secret of the Stars and its ilk.
>>
Eien no filena
>>
>>2873308
Yeah, you have a point. My bad. It certainly wasn't generic.

To be honest it's not even a shitty game. Stirring the pot keeps threads alive sometimes.
>>
File: logo.png (4 KB, 218x224) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
4 KB, 218x224
>>2872590
>Shin Megami Tensei is still obscure for some casual rpg fans (aka Square-only fans)
Why do SMT fans constantly bag on Squaresoft/Enix in being very casual? They make more than Final Fantasy. They have games like Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, and the SaGa Franchise. They have a varied JRPG catalog with various mechanics and skill levels.
>>
File: ライブ・ア・ライブ.jpg (147 KB, 1375x1009) Image search: [Google]
ライブ・ア・ライブ.jpg
147 KB, 1375x1009
>>2872534
>>
>>2873284
MAINCHAR HAS BECOME PENNON

LETS GO AND FIGHT HOMNCRUZ
>>
Anything made for the snes is not obscure by definition, it's the system jrpg fans are always looking at.

>>2872590
>Muh casuals
>Encourage people to find the auto-map hack not mapping the dungeons themselves
get a load of this casual
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.