[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sega Saturn Emulation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
Why is there so much information about Sega Saturn emulation?

SSF works great for 99% of games but people are constantly saying that saturn emulation is shit, is it just because they are mad that they bought the console thinking that it wasn't possible to emulate?
>>
I don't think there's any cohesive website that discusses the state of emulation in general, so people are confused, very confused. Like thinking N64 emulation is good.
>>
>>2872363
I wonder this same thing for the Nintendo 64. In my experience, with a Dell Inspiron from 2008, I'm able to emulate the majority of games without a hitch. Sometimes it crashes, and slows down, but it's very easy to see past that when you have tons of games to play. I've been able to emulate approximately fifty games for n64 nearly perfectly, since 2006. PJ 64 1.7 has worked fine. People are just too stupid to adjust plug ins. Or a variable framerate is too much for them. In which case they shouldn't play n64 games anyway. Or any fifth gen games.
>>
>>2872376
agreed
>>
>>2872363
IDK, but I tried playing Daytona and the graphics were fucked up. I'm not going to waste time troubleshooting stuff that should just work. Its the same thing for PS2 / Gamecube emulators that have too many settings and may not work well on every chipset.
For Saturn & N64, I'd rather buy the system. Its a waste of time to troubleshoot a PC.
>>
>>2872512
were you emulating it with SSF?
>>
>>2872512
Saturn games cost a small fortune now
>>
>>2872376
>People are just too stupid to adjust plug ins
If you have to use plugins to get most of your games working, then that means the hardware is not being well emulated and is therefore shit.
>>
>>2872520
Doesn't matter. Can burn discs.
>>
>>2872373
yes there is
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/
>>>/vg/emugen
>>
>>2872525
There are options to set best-fit plug-ins so you can set it and forget it. If this is too hard for you, I don't know what else to say. Maybe you just don't want to play the games. I didn't think two minutes of settings adjustments was too tough. Comparablyeto in the time required to set up the actual system. I think your just being hard-headed.
>>
>>2872363
I think Saturn emulation is shit since as far as I know there aren't any actively supported emulators in development. SSF works decently, but it doesn't have many features that would greatly improve it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any options to really improve the graphics or performance.
>>
Can anything run Assault Suit Leynos 2 yet? I want to experience this. I only had Cybernator on SNES as a kid.
>>
>>2872363
>Why is there so much information about Sega Saturn emulation?
Because nobody wants to actually buy a dead Sega console.
>>
>>2872363
It doesn't run with frontends nor on Android, and can't load CD images, therefore it must be shit!

That's the base consensus.

>>2872512
>IDK, but I tried playing Daytona and the graphics were fucked up.

Only the backgrounds are flashing, and that's one of the few known issues. There's no reason to play the original Saturn Daytona though, it is the worst port of the game. Get the Japanese Daytona USA CE (the jp port of CCE, it has the cards handling like the original game).
>>
>>2872564
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any options to really improve the graphics or performance.

It already eliminates slowdown, and you can improve graphics by adding bilinear filtering, progressive display for hi-res titles, and you can turn meshes into real transparency.

You can't get it to run games in higher resolution though. If you tried doing that, you'd get a lot of glitching and extremely distorted textures, since the Saturn doesn't use triangles.
>>
>>2872604
You actually can run it with frontends, and on android just fine
>>
>>2872625
>You actually can run it with frontends, and on android just fine

Last time I checked you couldn't run windows apps on Android.
>>
>>2872629
can run uoYabause tho
>>
>>2872530
why not just get a RHEA at that point?
>>
>>2872584
SSF can play it just fine.
>>
>>2872376
Compared to how great SNES or NES emulation is, it's shit. It's REALLY shit compared to gamecube emulation. Also, if you have gotten an emulator to accurately play DK64, let me know what magic spell you used.

So yes, in terms of being able to run a fair amount of games with enough accuracy to make them playable, the N64 emulation scene is in a decent state. But in comparison to something like gamecube emulation or SNES emulation? Pretty fucking pitiful.
>>
>>2872525

>It shouldn't be this hard therefore I won't use it.
>>
>>2872654
>gentoo
>>
SSF is an achievement, but it's not something we should keep using forever. It's a closed-source black box that works on Japanese space magic. An open-source alternative that can be compiled into a libretro core is the future. Hopefully Yabause continues to imrpove.
>>
>>2872376
UltraHLE on a 400mhz PentiumII with a Voodoo2sli - ran Mario, OoT, etc just as well as the shitty N64 emulators today do.
>>
>>2872363
This by far the most brain dead post I've ever read. You think people are mad they bought a system that could be emulated? You're so off track as to never be set straight.
>>
>>2872703
It'll take 5 more years at this rate
>>
>>2872363
If you're an emubaby with low standards who believes SSF works great for 99% then please do enjoy it.
>>
>>2872743
the best option is replacing the disk drive
>>
I'm trying to set up SSF so I can play christmas nights and it's not working

I'm mounting the iso, but for some reason it wont read it

any help?
>>
File: 3retro5u.png (590 KB, 1024x960) Image search: [Google]
3retro5u.png
590 KB, 1024x960
SSF doesn't allow for custom shaders, therefore it is objectively shit
>>
>>2872637
>can run uoYabause tho

Yabause sucks at playing games though, it is missing all the special effects the Saturn can do and half the games don't even work.

It's only useful for debugging.
>>
>>2872703
>It's a closed-source black box that works on Japanese space magic.

You are free to write a better one.

The reason no one bothers is because the Saturn has so many hardware features that it would take years just to implement everything - before even considering proper timing and bugfixes and support for anything beyond basic picture and controller.
>>
>>2873665
more like because some highly autistic son of a bitch like byuu gives a shit about sega saturn
>>
Can someone help get my disk images running on SSF?

I assigned a Virtual Drive of a cue/bin image using Gizmo but SSF is not detecting the virtual drive in Options.

Wat do?
>>
>>2872638

RHEA is pretty amazing. The only downside (compared to the GDEMU) is that you won't see significant loadtime improvements since the Saturn receives data from the CD-ROM drive at 2X regardless of whether there is an optical drive or an ODE transmitting.

Still though, for ease of use and having a ton of games on a single SD card without swapping discs, paying out the ass for legit copies, or burning up your laser the thing is worth its weight in gold.
>>
>>2873740
I know 2-3 people from the top of my head who'd want to work on a Saturn emulator, and could write a very good one, if only they had the free time to do so.
>>
>>2874526
Use Daemon Tools Lite.

>>2874565
Rhea actually loads games quite a bit faster, because it eliminates drive seek times. That alone makes a lot of games load very noticeably faster. Check Virtua Fighter 2 for example, when you do a continue, a real drive waits a second or so while the drive is seeking, while on Rhea the game starts the match instantly.
>>
>Because nobody wants to actually buy a dead Sega console.
>>2872592
>>
SSF is a good Saturn emulator in the same way NeoRAGEx is a good Neo Geo emulator or ZSNES is a good SNES emulator.
>>
>>2874930
SSF's timing is more solid than that (click max compatibility if shit breaks, most machines in the last 5 years should be just fine with that).
SSF's largest issue is how it still doesn't emulate the whole Saturn, several components aren't finished.

right next to that is the massive input delay it has, it's like 4 frames
>>
File: 1447081966846.png (84 KB, 773x591) Image search: [Google]
1447081966846.png
84 KB, 773x591
>tfw no Saturn SLS USB pad
>>
>>2874894
>if only they had the free time to do so
then clearly they don't give a shit enough to do so
>>
>>2877159
>bought sls pad for a mere $14
>off ebay
>cause seller was a retard
>that did not know what it was
life is good
>>
>>2877170
>bought a $5 controller for a mere $14
>seller was a retard
kek
>>
>>2877165
>then clearly they don't give a shit enough to do so

Or they just have a job and perhaps a family to feed.
>>
>>2877215
SLS pads are expensive
>>
>>2877340
responder is a tard but u could have just gotten Jap controller and an adapter
>>
>>2877215
The original SLS usb Saturn pads go for $50-$100 easily.

I think it would be easier to buy a knockoff, get the PCB out of it, and put it in a normal Saturn pad though. That way you get the original pads quality, with native USB output... provided the PCB fits in that case.
>>
>>2877414
Does the SLS Pad work both with Windows/Mac and PS2?
>>
shit tier system with shit tier emulation
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.