[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was in Goodwill today and I saw an NES Advantage controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: nesadvantage.jpg (21 KB, 402x268) Image search: [Google]
nesadvantage.jpg
21 KB, 402x268
I was in Goodwill today and I saw an NES Advantage controller for sale for $15.

I didn't get it. I was kind of scared to buy it, Goodwill doesn't do refunds on electronics and I had no way of knowing whether the joystick was adequately responsive. The controller was so huge, I couldn't imagine playing a game with it.

What does /vr/ think about the NES Advantage? Yea or nay?
>>
>>2871238
you shoulda changed the tag dummy
>>
>>2871245
til you get a shithead who cares about their community service and calls you out like a fatboy
>>
>>2871245

If I was going to steal I would probably just grab something small and put it in my pocket.

I doubt they have cameras at Goodwill, at least ones that aren't on the registers.
>>
>>2871238
I grew up with one, they're kind of cool, but the stick is really not that good, at least for sidescrollers, it was awful for those, the cumbersome stick doesn't offer any advantage over the quick and simple D-pad.

I'm going to guess it still works, because those things were pretty robust pieces of kit, they had a metal bottom and shit.

If you like the big arcade sticks, it might be your ticket, but it's not micro-switched, it uses something called a "rubber dome". Mine still works fine as far as I know.

>>2871245
In the olden days, we used to cut off your hand for thieving.
>>
The NES Advantage sucks in this day and age. Why would anyone want an arcade stick where the stick and buttons still use that rubber dome crap? You get a stick so you can get away from that shit.

Nowadays you can either get a PCB that works on the NES or just easily padhack an NES controller into an actual stick. No reason to bother with an Advantage.
>>
>>2871249
>>2871253

Goodwill isn't a charity, not is it a place that someone would get sentenced to do community service at.

It is a for-profit business, like the majority of businesses.

If you seriously think any of the money you give to Goodwill counts as a charitable donation, you've been fooled.
>>
>>2871238
I had one when I was little. Still do. Made most games harder than they needed to be, but I was dumb and just figured the bigger controller with more features had to be better. Shit was awesome for Galaga though.
>>
I don't know why people are saying the NES Advantage makes games harder aside from they're just not used to it. I use it for just about everything I play on the NES.
>>
>>2871570
I think because they grew up playing NES games on a dpad, and not playing in arcades with sticks like the Advantage has.

It's like people who think manual transmission is harder because they learned on automatic. It isn't harder, it's just different.
>>
>>2871493
Okay although Goodwill is getting shadier and shadier it is still a not-for-profit company (i.e. it does not attempt to generate revenue beyond "operating expenses") and if you GIVE them money (or merchandise) it DOES count as a charitable donation though obviously buying things from them doesn't.

What makes Goodwill shitty is their price gouging and minimum wages for the disabled employees while paying their upper management enormous salaries and bonuses
>>
>>2871583
No.

It is, always has been, and presumably always will be, FOR PROFIT. They have shareholders, there is a board of directors, there are employees. I was offered to manage a store in 2001 and met with a couple of regional directors.

Its status as officially being non-profit has always been in dispute since they pull all sorts of legal shenanigans to obfuscate their purpose, but when I met with these regional directors and saw the cars they were driving, there was no way I could keep believing that this company isn't compensating upper management hundreds of thousands of dollars. When they mentioned the shareholders, I asked "I'm sorry, I thought Goodwill was a charity?" and was told by the hiring partner I was talking with flat-out "We aren't a charity. Everyone in this company earns a living."

I don't know what else to say about it. I thought they were a charity up until that day, and it always bothers me that people would willingly give their shit away to a company that is selling and keeping the proceeds from it. This is a business model that shouldn't exist.
>>
>>2871245
Or you could just not rip off a fucking charity like a piece of shit human garbage.
>>
>>2871654
Read the thread numbnuts. Calling Goodwill a charity is like calling McDonalds a health spa.
>>
>>2871592

I retract my previous statement >>2871654
>>
>>2871592
Fuck I just donated a few boxes of pristine condition sci-fi books to Goodwill. Should have driven to them to the god damn library. Lesson learned I guess...
>>
>>2871238
Had one as a kid, (along with a C64, about 10 carts, and 30 floppies) and loved it for everything.
>>
>>2871583
>it is still a not-for-profit company
Actually that's a lie. Only a very small portion of the profits go to 'charity' and 'charities' don't try to sell things to people that can't afford them at near retail prices. Many businesses hiding behind the guise of non-profit are actually run by capitalist pigs exploiting the system by paying less in 'charity' than they would have in actual 'taxes'. Wanna do something for charity? Volunteer your time at your local homeless shelter or piss off.
>>
>>2871663
This guy really knows what he's talking about. When I first discovered how corrupt a lot of charities are (through working for a church ironically and whole other kettle of corrupt fish) I was horrified.

If you're going to give, either give directly to people in need or be very careful and do a lot of research so you know exactly what your money is being used for.
>>
Picked one up from Goodwill about a year ago for $8. Can anybody please tell me in what games they find the NES advantage useful? Thanks.
>>
>>2871238
Yay.

It's very comfortable sitting on your lap. And the turbo-fire is ridiculously handy. Plus the stick in place of the D-pad is easier to use, and since it's not a small rectangle made for the hands of small kids it's just more comfortable to use.
>>
>>2871674
Any game that requires shooting.
>>
>>2871675
>Plus the stick in place of the D-pad is easier to use
>big clumsy rubber-domed stick that's slower and clunkier than a simple 4-way directional pad
>easier to use
>>
>>2871675

It's yea; not yay.

I specifically spelled it correctly in the OP so people would notice and follow suit.

Way to go, retard. You couldn't even spell a word correctly after seeing it in print.

You are dumber than a chimpanzee. A chimpanzee could even spell out a word after seeing it.

IT'S FUCKING "YEA"; NOT "YAY".

Got it?
>>
File: 1440762443360.png (151 KB, 449x442) Image search: [Google]
1440762443360.png
151 KB, 449x442
>>2871245
> being human garbage
>>
>>2871493
I had to do 100 hours of community service when I was 18 at goodwill. You're retarded.

I literally vacuumed the store for eight hours a day.

For stealing a mobile shopping cart from a grocery store and bringing it back to the party to do beer runs to the barn. I'm (was) also retarded.
>>
>>2872064
No, Goodwill sponsored your community service - it's a thing you can do when your legal status as a business is "non-profit." You were almost certainly offered a choice between several different ways to work off your community service and either you don't remember or your state retains the right to elect for you. You had the right to refuse to do that, by the way, and accept an alternate mode.

You weren't "sentenced" to work at Goodwill. You were sponsored by a corporation that stole 100 free hours of labour from you because they're an ersatz charity and you agreed to do it, probably unwittingly.

Trust me, Goodwill is the fucking devil.

You want to know something that you can actually be sentenced to without recourse or right to refuse? Alcoholics Anonymous. Even if you aren't Christian.
>>
>>2872004
kill yeaself faggot
>>
>>2871663
Is the Salvation Army the same way?
>>
>>2872064
Was a manager at goodwill. Nothing better than having cholos cleaning gum off the sidewalks outside and threatening them with talking to their po about their hours, or flat out refusing to sign the paperwork. I found out quick that goodwill was as bad as Wallyworld, but I tons of free games or on deep discounts by pricing them at 99cents.

Goodwill is a shit palace. Plain and Simple. They make money on lies and couldn't care less and still don't.
>>
>>2871238
>What does /vr/ think about the NES Advantage?

It's shit. I've had one since I was a kid. Playing platformers with it's a nightmare. The only 'advantage' is the turbo buttons, but other controllers have those too. I guess for maybe shooters or something it might be better, but for much else I never found a use for it. I just like it because it was in Ghostbusters II.
>>
>>2872160
AA is a Christian group?
>>
>>2872416
Yeah, it was awful for platformers, really bad.

It was kind of fine for Fester's Quest, since there was no platforming and the turbo button goes a long way to remove some of the tedium.

>>2872426
Oh yeah, very.
One of their steps is even to surrender yourself to god. It's a little bit cult-like to be honest desu

I mean, maybe, maybe not, but I don't think a court should have the right to sentence me to be taken into the arms of an organization that very clearly is out to pressure vulnerable people into surrendering themselves to their faith.

Doesn't quite feel so Jesus like.
>>
>>2872387
Salvation Army is a great charity, though they are a church-based one so some of their funding goes to proselytizing.

>>2872426
Step 2, straight from the source:
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_step2.pdf
>>
File: burgerine.gif (393 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
burgerine.gif
393 KB, 342x342
>>2871238
>Goodwill doesn't do refunds on electronics
>tfw my state passed a law that goodwill has to refund electronics if they're shit
>>
>>2872508
Considering there are so many separate groups/"companies" under the Goodwill name, I think it may entirely depend on where you're located.
The stores around me offer a 7 day grace period for if you buy a piece of electronics and it doesn't work.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.