[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fighting Games Thread ..... GO !
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 19
File: streetfighter.jpg (223 KB, 615x347) Image search: [Google]
streetfighter.jpg
223 KB, 615x347
Fighting Games Thread ..... GO !
>>
Virtua Fighter 2 is a masterpiece and the best 3D /vr/ related fighting game by light years.
>>
fighting games are shit
>>
>>2869839
Another great post on /vr/
>>
>>2869843
I don't get the appeal, 2bh
>>
>>2869829
You might just want to contribute to this one >>2867727 this board is pretty slow as is, we don't really need two threads up.

>>2869839
Care to explain why so we can all have a good laugh at your expense again? :)
>>
>>2869846
So because you don't personally see the appeal, you think that means they're shit? Are you five years old or something?
>>
>>2869848
No, I like shitting up fighting game threads because internet elitism trigger my autism.
>>
It's pretty ridiculous, these nerds have put thousands of hours into these games to have some false sense of fulfillment like they are curing cancer or some shit.
>>
>>2869863
Well your autism triggers my funny bone so have at it!

>>2869868
:)
>>
I'll fight you IRL!!!
>>
>>2869871
>:)
What is this retarded meme, are you trying to hide the frustration that your entire life has revolved around videogame achievements?
>>
>>2869876
The smiley face is my little way of letting you know how much I enjoy this.

You realize you're posting on a video games website, right? All video games are intrinsically time wasters, that's why it's a hobby. Fighting games has nothing to do with achievements, it's everything to to with having fun. I sit down, play a few rounds, have a great time and then do something else. You get that's what games are for... right?

What games do you play?
>>
The most underrated fighting game.
>>
File: lb86bcc6.jpg (131 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
lb86bcc6.jpg
131 KB, 1024x768
>>2869880
Garou is quite popular, what are you talking about? It's not generally rated super high because of it's simplicity and small roster, it doesn't really hold much of a candle to KoF. But there's little debate that it's the best Fatal Fury.

Also some people just prefer the more minimal fighters, so there's that too. Though for that I like the Last Blades a little more personally.
>>
>>2869884
>But there's little debate that it's the best Fatal Fury.
I prefer Real Bout 2. I would argue it's the most underrated of the bunch since it gets overshadowed a lot by Mark of the Wolves and the KOF series.
>>
>>2869829

Guisse..

Let me tell you all about who I main.
>>
>>2869894
Please do.
>>
File: vampire1434067705677.jpg (356 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
vampire1434067705677.jpg
356 KB, 576x768
Vampire series a best
>>
>>2869892
What do you like more about it? I admit I'm mostly a KoF fan, so FF was never a focus to begin with. After Garou I don't remember ever going back to the earlier games.

Similarly Last Blade took over Samurai Showdown for me.
>>
>>2869904

Fatal Fury's signature mechanic is switching between planes, Garou got rid of it.
>>
>>2869910
Plane switching, crouching, ring outs, chain links. Garold plays closer to KOF without hopping since they intended to port the characters back into kof from day one
>>
>>2869910
Wow I had totally wiped that from my memory, but you're right. I should really go take another look at the series.
>>
games hipsters on /vr/ pretend to like :

last blade 2
garou
alpha 3
vsav
>>
>>2869925
how the fuck is that mainstream shit hipster?
>>
>>2869925
lol what? Those are all solid games, of course people will like them. I've never liked the Alpha series, but whatever. It's got it's fans.

>>2869929
At this point, I don't even know what people mean anymore when they use the word "hipster"
>>
>>2869925
Also, real hipsters prefer night warriors over vampire savior.
>>
>>2869925

Alpha series and Darkstalkers aren't hipster games, you're just young.
>>
File: huitzil_onemanband.gif (4 KB, 142x160) Image search: [Google]
huitzil_onemanband.gif
4 KB, 142x160
>>2869938
There is nothing hipster about the best character of the series.
>>
>>2869901
Shame that capcom disagrees.
>>
Tech Romancer is pretty dope. I really only ever got into fighting games when I got a Dreamcast, and Tech Romancer stood out as a favorite of mine. Much love to Robotech: Battlecry, on GameCube, too. Though, that's more of an arena in multi, like Custom Robo and Virtual-On(which are also good).

I once thought Beast Wars Transmetals for N64 was good, but after revisiting it, I found it pretty mediocre. It must have been in the shadow of the television show, which I was completely blinded by.
>>
>>2869947
And ever since they released that super shitty port that no one bought because of near broken net code, they're now convinced that no one would buy a new game in the series.

So instead they reboot SF yet again, just as IV was coming into it's own. I would have rather they made any other series than another SF at this point.
>>
>>2869938
I guess Daigo's a hipster then.
>>
>>2869952
Resurrection was actually a good port, it's just that people were getting tired of ports of old games, especially when by that point Capcom had half a dozen new fighters on the market.
>>
File: DarkstalkersTNW_Huitzil.png (956 KB, 797x1000) Image search: [Google]
DarkstalkersTNW_Huitzil.png
956 KB, 797x1000
>>2869942
Nice to see another Huitzil fan.
>>
>>2869959
See? That's exactly what I mean.
>>
>>2869964
Not following you. You claim that contrarians like a certain game, I point out that one of the biggest names in fighting games, the guy who's always playing the most mainstream stuff, likes it. And somehow this supports you?
>>
File: 8tnu01000002ajgk.jpg (129 KB, 450x377) Image search: [Google]
8tnu01000002ajgk.jpg
129 KB, 450x377
>>2869829
Are we okay on 3D Fighters or just 2D?

Anyway, Rival Schools. Shit is so blocky, clunky, yet it's Always a blast to play. I wonder how Capcom got it right when SNK basically tried the same thing with Samurai Shodown 64/2 and Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, yet people despite those titles.

Perhaps delivering tons of contente on console release helped, but still
>>
>>2869964
What does hipster even mean at this point?

>>2869991
They're quite different genres. I have a very strong preference for 2D, but most people enjoy both.
>>
>>2869991
You sure you ain't confusing Shodown 64 with warrior's rage? Last I heard 64 was a well liked game it just never got ported anywhere.
>>
>>2869991
Most people think warrior's rage was a SS64 2 port when in fact it was an original game
>>
>>2869948
Tech Romancer is an awesome love letter to 80s and 90s mecha and has the best story mode in any fighter ever. Shame it didn't even get enough attention for even a sequel
>>
File: asura_haohmaru.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
asura_haohmaru.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>2870048
>>2870049
No, I'm deliberately talking about the Hyper Neo Geo games. I've played both games ages ago. I had more contact with the first 64 game and it definitely had its share of issues - although the Stamina Bar made for a very different addtion, but it needed some work. From what I can remember, people played it out of novelty, but it was compared unfavorably to Soul Edge and pretty much disliked by Samurai Shodown 4 (or 2) fans.

The second game arrived much later and the arcade operator got rid of it after a couple of months. I remember it being very slow, but better than the first game - at least less clunky. They tried some new stuff there, like Suija Sougetsu's airborne-only special moves. And Gandara being almost impossible to beat with certain characters. I only learned of this game's title years later on the internet (the cabinet was set to Japanese anyway)

Honestly, I've only seen SNK enthusiasts over the internet actually saying good things about these games. Back then, I only heard people dissing them.

As for PSX Warriors Rage… The game had some awesome artwork and that's it. We better leave it alone for now.
>>
>>2870187
tebbeaich out of all the 3D SamSho titles (64, 64 WR, psx WR, Sen), the ng64 games are hands down the best ones

still hoping a miracle happens and they become playable on MAME in the nearest future
>>
>>2870202
The first one kinda is, just with no sound.
>>
File: buriki_one_logo.jpg (70 KB, 922x600) Image search: [Google]
buriki_one_logo.jpg
70 KB, 922x600
>>2870202
Talking about MAME and Hyper Neo Geo 64, there's this obscure little beast waiting to receive some love too.
The visuals, with all the sponsors, character's names that sounded like real people - many of them depicted as athletes, jingles, the feeling of a late 90's broadcast sports event… And still with the lore of a typical SNK fighter.
>>
File: pc-55164-31394743310[1].jpg (80 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pc-55164-31394743310[1].jpg
80 KB, 640x480
is this weeb shit worth acquiring?
>>
>>2870187
Loved the NG64 fighters. The arcade version of Wild Ambition was really kick ass.
>>
File: One-must-fall-cover.jpg (36 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
One-must-fall-cover.jpg
36 KB, 325x325
> I am the smartest, fastest, and best looking fighter here! A natural!
>>
What are some fighting games with stamina bars?
Everyone has amazing cardio in fighting games, they never gas out, they just keep attacking and never get slow.
>>
>>2870434
on Kengo on PS2 your fighter's attacks would slow down if you kept missing, that was pretty cool.
>>
File: bushido-blade-0023.jpg (138 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bushido-blade-0023.jpg
138 KB, 800x600
>>2870434
>>2870479
Not exactly featuring stamina bars, but in the first Bushido Blade (which Kengo is usually considered a successor of), there's a noticeable drop in speed if you keep running across the environment for too long. The running animation stays the same, but it's pretty obvious when movement starts to feel too heavy.
Other factors do affect their movements, such as running through mud.

As for stamina bars, Samurai Shodown 64 features them, like mentioned above.

In a way, even if it doesn't penalize character movement, the ki meter in Art of Fighting can be considered a stamina bar of sorts, because moves done with empty bars are severely limited.
>>
I used to be average at KoF 98 and 2002 back in the day, then arcades pretty much died and i quit fighting ganes until last year when i discovered SF III:3rd Strike.

I played it alone on a console for a few weeks because the game is so fun, then i learned about fightcade and now i play there.
>>
>>2869880

Are you literally 12 years old? It stopped being underrated over a decade ago.
>>
>>2869846
Honestly, it does bother me how easily the fighting game community disregard 'outsiders' opinions. There's a whole heap of shit about them that has no appeal to the average person, even if they love the idea of martial arts combat.
>>
>>2871513
Why should the fighting game community care about the opinions of people who don't like the genre? Obviously if you're not into them that much you won't have anything worthwhile to say. Saying you think they're boring or you don't get the appeal doesn't really mean anything.

What happens when a genre tries to appeal to absolutely everyone is that it becomes so casualized and simplified that many of the people who used to be fans of those games get pushed to the side.

First person shooters are a perfect example of that. Fighters are thankfully one of the few genres that has stayed very true to it's roots.
>>
File: weaponlord_49901_2_3.jpg (77 KB, 632x456) Image search: [Google]
weaponlord_49901_2_3.jpg
77 KB, 632x456
Anyone else Weaponlord here? The spiritual predecessor of the Soul games, it has surprisingly deep mechanics for a 16 bit fighter.
>>
>>2871695
Word is the developers designed special moves that way in an effort to preserve inputs even on high latency play - as this was the first attempt of an online fighting game with Xband.

Never got to try the so-mentioned online portion, but damn if the game isn't good looking, even by today's standards.
I wonder if this series would go on if they managed to convince Namco to produce a sequel.
>>
>>2871693
I love the graphics, but the inputs are kind of garbage. You hold a button and input a movement rather than the other way around, and most moves have your character having an uncontrollable fit for a few seconds. Also it never got a sequel which is telling about its popularity.
>>
>>2870913

...wouldn't that imply he's actually very old and out of touch? If he were 12, it NOT being underrated would be all he knows.
>>
>>2871726
Meant to quote >>2871728
>>
>>2871695
Yeah the inputs are very weird, but that's sort of what I like about it. It's a fighter that plays very differently. I really like the aggressive blocking, it was the first game I played with a mechanic like that.

That's probably why it was never more popular, I would have really liked to see a real sequel to it.
>>
>>2871735
>aggressive blocking,
Elaborate.
>>
>>2871745
I forget what they called it, but it was essentially an early parry system. You do it at the right time and the block pushes your opponent back a bit making them vulnerable.
>>
>>2871745
Think of it as less like Garou/SFIII and a little more like Last Blade. It's a special kind of defensive move that must be done according to the incoming attack and leaves the opponent vulnerable for a counter-attack.

Just like >>2871753 explained it. I believe it was "thrust blocking" (I remember it has something to do with swords)?
>>
>>2869892
>tfw I go in the RB 2 room on Fightcade and it's that 1 Japanese guy there all the time

I basically said, "Fuck this I'm just gonna learn Garou"
>>
>>2869880
Virtua Fighter 3 is the most underrated fighting game.

Tekken 4 sucks and VF3 kinda looks like Tekken 4 so people just assume that it's bad.
>>
>>2873154
why would you compare tekken 4 and vf3 instead of t4 and vf4
>>
File: WHAT A KNUCKLE HEAD.png (174 KB, 256x248) Image search: [Google]
WHAT A KNUCKLE HEAD.png
174 KB, 256x248
>>2873154
I always thought of VF3 as the awkward stepping stone between 2 and 4. It's a good game, but the dodge button doesn't work anywhere near as well as the 8 way movement in 4. And I'm not a huge fan of the different terrain in the environments.

It's still a good game but I can see why it's considered the black sheep of the series.
>>
>>2873184
It's considered the black sheep because it had no proper quality home port, only a poor DC one.

I consider VF3 to be that part of the series that moved in a unique direction, it did things that no other competitive fighter has done even to this day.

VF4 was then a step back to the norm.
>>
>>2873170
Because like Tekken 4, VF3 is "the weird one". It made a lot of changes to movement and stage design that were dropped for the sequel.

>>2873184
I kinda prefer the evade button. VF3 has funky looking movement techniques that are really fun to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXMim20eNs&feature=player_detailpage#t=1733

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUR1Ac0EXs&feature=youtu.be&t=1764
>>
>>2873223
I've seen people complain about the DC port, but what exactly is wrong with it? I had a lot of fun with it, surely it's closer to the arcade than the Saturn port of 2 is?
>>
I love the interactive terrain in vf3 and tekken 4, shame the fighting community are too autistic for having fun
>>
File: 4102_front.jpg (112 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
4102_front.jpg
112 KB, 640x640
What's a fighting game you think only you like /vr/?
>>
>>2873384
I have an original japanese poster and also own it on the Sega ST-V.
>>
File: astrasuperstarssat.jpg (90 KB, 640x636) Image search: [Google]
astrasuperstarssat.jpg
90 KB, 640x636
>>2873384
That's a really good game! There are so many great fighting games on the Saturn it's nuts. Any fans of Astra Superstars here?

>>2873409
Damn I jelly.
>>
>>2873290
Terrain wasn't the issue with Tekken 4. It was the uneven floors, the ridiculous wall combos, tiny arenas, positional switch system, small roster, and Heihachi in a diaper.

Great soundtrack, though.
>>
File: IMG_20151021_153737.jpg (1 MB, 2400x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151021_153737.jpg
1 MB, 2400x3200
>>2873415
I found a pic of the poster, I really like it.
>>
>>2870360
Only if you like cute things and the anime shows its based on.
>>
>>2873384
I thought it was a major downgrade from power instinct 2, but whatever.
>>
File: 9133_front.jpg (68 KB, 640x629) Image search: [Google]
9133_front.jpg
68 KB, 640x629
One of my favorite lesser known fighting games.
It isn't perfect but it is still fun to play and the game looks quite good for PS1 3D fighting game.
>>
>>2873384
Probably Waku Waku 7.
I can't believe people only like it for Bonus-kun

>>2873430
Dayum… that's sweet. I wonder what Range Murata is doing these days. Power Instinct artwork isn't exactly the same without him.
>>
>>2869938
Real, real hipsters prefer Darkstalkers 1
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.