[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The music sounds a lot more energetic on sega,for snes its low
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Console-Wars-Header-01.jpg (148 KB, 1179x388) Image search: [Google]
Console-Wars-Header-01.jpg
148 KB, 1179x388
The music sounds a lot more energetic on sega,for snes its low quality music.the graphics look a lot more colorfull on sega with with a bigger contrast between colors,unlike snes where it looks blury. Most Genesis games run at a higher resolution than SNES games which means Genesis graphics are sharper with better details while everything is stretched on SNES. Add to this that the Genesis has a better RGB output than the SNES for an even better picture on Genesis.
>>
I'll fight you IRL!!!
>>
I'm not sure why this warranted a thread, but yes.
>>
I don't like the genesis' music as much. Somehow, I feel like I'm in the minority on this.
>>
>>2869813

the sound quality also varies a bunch between different versions of the genesis. and it can get pretty shitty quality... another reason why sega blows.
>>
>>2869824
lazy developers*
>>
>>2869830

or just cost-reduction
>>
>I like to generalize and pay attention to marketing ads instead of who developed the games

the thread: the movie: the video game board

Not every Genesis game had music by Yuzo Koshiro, same as how not every SNES game had music by Konami Kukeiha Club or Uematsu.

Get over it, little console warriors, if you only had one of these consoles growing up, you only had half a childhood. And no emulator or buying the other console as an adult will give you that missing half childhood back, I'm sorry.
>>
>>2869893
Oh that's okay. I never grew up, that's why I still post on imageboards :^)
>>
Genesis also has superior controllers.
>>
>>2870019
6 button > SNES pad > 3 button

Fact
>>
>>2870004

Well, you can use the internet in general at any age. In fact, 4chan is supposed to be +18 (yeah, we all know kids don't respect this rule, but still).
But even if you never grew up internally, your body did, and it's pathetic that you're still engaged on a console war from 20 years ago.
Unsolved traumas, etc, etc. But that's what happens with people who only had half a childhood.
>>
>>2869789
I love the Genesis, but the vast majority of the music from it is mediocre. There's some real 10/10s, and then there's some 2/10 "why did the developers even consider this music" garbage. SNES is more consistent, held back by the obnoxiously small 64kB sound RAM limit (two games get past it by streaming audio/samples, Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia).
The Genesis is actually capable of high quality PCM playback, but it's all software driven and not exactly trivial to do while running a game at the same time.

also, it fucking eats ROM space to do anything more meaningful than SFX+drums via PCM audio.

The SNES's larger system palette really helps it compared do the Genesis visually too (SNES also has like a 2-3 year tech advantage though, people seem to forget this).
The SNES's lower horizontal resolution does hurt it quite a bit though, and there's a handful where the same graphics are displayed on both systems without adjusting for aspect (so they look right on the Genesis, except they're lacking detail because the Genesis can't into gradients).

I hate using it as an example (but the graphics are actually nice, unlike the game), but Shaq-Fu is a perfect example of both. It's the wrong size on SNES, but has nicer gradients and color.
>>
but SNES could sample a lot better (compare EB or ploks ost to any megadrive soundtrack)
megadrive had only one sampling channel
>>
>>2872185
The SFC sound chip was entirely sample based, the Genesis used an FM chip with some sampling capabilities. It's like comparing a hardware sampler and an FM synth, they're totally different and each has its merits.
>>
>>2869789
I fucking hate these threads. I had both consoles growing up.

Genesis:
Toejam and Earl. Best soundtrack ever.
Sonic. Fast. Colorful. Infuriating.
Wonderboy. I was a sms kid. Its fucking wonderboy. Fuck yes.

Snes:
Zelda. Fun
Mario. Fun
Megaman X. Fun
Metroid. Fun
Mana. Fun
Mario kart. Fun
etc etc.

I personally just had more fun on the snes. Genesis was sweet, don't get me wrong, but the content was shit. THE GAMES WERE SHIT. Phantasy Star just doesn't play as well as Final Fantasy. Ecco was cute. Cool. Who can forget Greendog? Rad. My retro fun factor rates SNES>GB=SMS>NES>Genesis>Atari. Debate technical superiority all you want. It won't change how much fun I had playing the actual fucking games. Fucking techthreads.
>>
>>2872563
>GB=SMS>NES>Genesis>
The shit tastes is strong in this one.
>>
>>2869789
Yes, praise Sega!!!
This is what I'm talking about when I say /vr/ is being raided by Sega fags.
>>
>>2872594

Which is actually a good thing because most Nintoddlers are just underage hipsters who missed the train and watched their favorite e-celebs cum all over the SNES then in turn adopted their shitty opinions. Now we're stuck with ridiculously inflated prices for common games like Turtles in Time ($60 is hilarious), but the Genesis is getting stupid too because there are jew hipsters who just wanna collect shit and now the prices are starting to go up.
>>
>>2870526
>it fucking eats ROM space to do anything more meaningful than SFX+drums via PCM audio

Is this why 32X Doom's music is so bad? It seemed like it was using bare minimum instrumentation.
>>
>>2872674
Nah, it's because the composer sucked, good FM instruments is enough for good Doom music.
>>
>>2869824
>Sega blows
intotrash.png
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.