[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't this game get any sequels? Such a fun game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: Ristar_cover_EU.jpg (25 KB, 256x371) Image search: [Google]
Ristar_cover_EU.jpg
25 KB, 256x371
Why didn't this game get any sequels?

Such a fun game.
>>
Because SEGA.
>>
>>2868434
came out in 1995, mascot craze was dying down in favor of 3d
>>
>>2868438
That helps, they had plans for new characters and everything.
>>
>>2868434
Poor advertising.
>>
>>2868434
Sega can even make a good sonic sequel. What makes you think they would make a sequel to any of their other series?
>>
>>2868476
Would be pretty simple for Ristar, it isn't a speed based game. It is an exploring/platforming game. Add a couple other characters, take it 3D, put it on DC, should sell with big enough levels/planets to explore with multiple characters.
>>
>>2868476
>>2868497
Last good Sonic was the adventure games.

Look at Rodea. Sonic team can't even make a good game now.
>>
File: north-and-south-usa.png (329 KB, 360x500) Image search: [Google]
north-and-south-usa.png
329 KB, 360x500
I would like an updated version of pic related too.

For SNES or something.
>>
>>2868434

'cause the main character looks like a cereal box mascot.
>>
>>2868517
Have you seen Mario? Sonic? Busby? Crash? DK?

The game was really fun. All it needed was a save option.
>>
>>2868434
Slower than Sonic. Die more than Sonic. Graphics for a younger audience than Sonic. It just wasn't as attractive as Sonic and did not push boundaries. Vector man was something that could push boundaries. Ristar has a good soundtrack and sprites. There just wasn't any buzz for this game. It was a rental.
>>
>>2868523

who hasn't? they all passed the test of time and got passed a single game. wanna know why? because they were better thought out than just slapping a face on a fucking star lol
>>
>>2868562
Dude, Ristar was a great game that deserved a sequal. Would be even better than Sonic shit on the DC, because Ristar was all about exploration. Not speeding_through_everything_as_fast_as_possible.mp4

They could have had actual planets to explore on DC for Ristar and friends.

He never got a fair shake.
>>
>>2868572

i'm not saying the gameplay wasn't fun. just pointing out the obvious lack of attachment publicly felt towards the main character. it takes more than a game being fun for it to build a franchise.
>>
>>2868508
Agreed, that game was GOAT-tier

Spent many hours on it

You have the potential to add more troops on-screen and other things but I wouldn't like it to lose its simplicity to be honest.
>>
>>2868572
>>2868434
As someone said earlier, Ristar came out late, late in the Megadrive's cycle, right before the explosion of 3d and 32-bit systems.

It never had a real chance to take off. I also feel not enough people got to play it and know it, so there wasn't a lot of clamor for a sequel.

I feel like Vectorman got the same treatment, late in the Megadrive's life, I remember walking through Toys R' Us in the 90's and seeing a display of this new thing called "Playstation"... no working demos or anything just a display of a console, and rumors. Alongside that, there were demos of Vectorman and the Virtual Boy at the store.
>>
>>2868498
Rodea Wii version kicks ass you sack of shit
>>
>>2868498
Adventure games were garbage.
>>
>>2869225
Waggle shit is not good. Especially when your curser is linked to the waggle shit.
>>2869483
Nice eceleb opinion, slugger.
>>
>>2869483
This.

Generations and Colours > Adventure 1&2
>>
>>2870408
Anything post 2005 is trash and not original Sonic Team.
>>
>>2870437
Nobody cares about original Sonic Team. They tried making a Sonic by themselves and it sucked ass back in the day (Sonic CD). STI is who made Sonic good, with 2, 3 and S&K.
>>
>>2870445
>Nobody cares about original Sonic Team.
Back to /v/ please. Don't bother coming back.
>>
>>2870451
Ah, the the most overused, generic comeback by a desperate /vr/min who has no counter-argument. How drole.
>>
>>2870465
Likewise from the /v/child hating original Sonic team.
>>
>>2870473
>no u
Please go get some new material, you Sonic-loving autist.

For the record, Sonic Team didn't even make Ristar, and Burning Rangers was shit.
>>
>>2870489
Sonic Team isn't just Sonic. Fucking underb& little shit.
>Burning Rangers was shit.
Damn kid aren't you a little edgelord.
>>
>>2869141
Everyone I knew loved Vectorman at the time, but no one I knew even heard of Ristar.

fuck, first time I knew about the game was after getting Sonic Mega Collection in like 2003 (IIRC, I didn't have my Genesis anymore at that point)

Could have been the case elsewhere. To this day, I've never actually known anyone IRL who knew what Ristar was at the time, but I can still get people who've played Vectorman back in the day.

>>2870492
>replying to shitposting
>>
>>2870492
>trying to pretend you're an oldfag to make your opinion seem more important
Just quit already, you sad little man. Sonic Team of Japan was shit without STI and you know it.
>>
>>2870492
Sonic Team was a mistake.

>CD
Worst console 2D Sonic.

>Knuckles Chaotix
What fucking idiot concocted this awful level design?

>NiGHTS
Trash, it was a mistake to use this as a system seller, at least Sonic was popular.

>Burning Rangers
Unplayable and ugly garbage with only 4 levels and a camera system even more terrible than Mario 64's.

>Adventure
Horrible buggy trash with shit game modes.

>Adventure 2
Also horrible buggy trash with even shittier game modes.
>>
>>2870408
Generations I agree with, but Colors is pretty meh the more I play it. It isn't bad and I think it's comfy, but I remember when it was overrated back in 10-12 as it was like "SANIC ISN'T SHIT ANYMORE"
>>
>>2868434
Play the Game Gear version. It's so different it somewhat feels like a sequel.
>>
>>2870564
>Unplayable
Funny, I was playing it yesterday with no problems. Maybe you should stop being a little bitch?
>>
https://youtu.be/Y_52L4u_aZQ
>>
>>2870564

Here's a (You).
>>
>>2872228
Awesome, thanks!
>>
>>2871428
I'm sorry you're a masochist, anon. But the rest of us want to play actually good games.
>>
>>2871424
I only played the Game Gear version. I loved every second of it. Definitely my favorite platformer of that era. It felt super fresh and original. Great soundtrack and really colorful levels. I also feel that Ristar never got its fair share.
>>
>>2868498

Sonic Generations and Colors was good. The hate for Unleashed was overrated stated because it immediately followed '06.

There is no reason to hate Sonic Heroes if you like Sonic Adventure.
>>
>>2868476
Ahem
sonic colors
sonic generations
sonic last world
sonic advance 1-3
sonic rush 1-2
>>
>>2870437
youre nuts.
Sonic 06 was the best of the Franchise.
>>
>>2875478
>Lost World
>Advance 2,3
>Rush games
>good
nigga you best be joking
>>
>>2875778
I thought they were decent. Hell these games could've been alot worse. Take these horrible sonic games as an example
Sonic 06
Sonic unleashed
Sonic and the secret rings
Shadow the hedgehog
Sonic boom.
I would rather take a mediocre games in franchise than broken/unfinished games that are just are frustratingly hard to play.
>>
There are two games on N64 called Chameleon Twist (2) that are essentially Ristar in 3D, except he uses his tongue, it's much longer and you can control the direction of it as it moves. However you can't really climb walls as you can in Ristar (only really being able to wall grab once in 2) and you can't fly, but of course both of these would probably break a 3D game so it's a fair trade imo - and in 2 some of the swigs you do will still be huge and floaty.

Only drawbacks is the game is pretty linear, there are exploration aspects but not to the extend of Ristar.

All around pretty decent, if not great, games.
>>
Game Gear was pretty good too
>>
shit tier consoles such as the Megadrive are full of failed mascots, due to the inherent nature of being inferior
>>
>>2879073
>NES shill
>In a Sega Exclusive thread

Nothing better to do boss? No CRT threads left to troll?

Ran out of SMB threads to bump? Thanks for the insight on the game being discussed ITT.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.