[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people keep buying this junk thinking it's the real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 13
Why do people keep buying this junk thinking it's the real deal? That's infuriating. So many Facebook kids think now it's how a Megadrive sounds like.
>>
Because it is available.
>>
>>2867890
Who gives a shit? Different units sounded different already. Your classic Genesis sound could well be different from mine already. It really doesn't matter so long as someone is having fun with games.
>>
>>2867901
I think you vastly underestimate how terrible that clone is. Look it up.
>>
>>2867890
I don't think anyone has ever bought that thinking it's the real deal. Also where are you pulling that "facebook kids" now think that's how Genesis games sound? Really "facebook kids" probably don't even fucking care about this thing in the first place.
>>
>>2867923
only weird nerdy kids care
>>
>>2867926
those aren't Facebook kids.
>>
>>2867901
This.
Play games. Have fun. And don't worry about how someone you've never met and will never meet is playing and having fun with his or her games.
Actually, don't worry about how someone you've met and know already is playing and having fun with his or her games, either. And /especially/ don't blither and blather and rage on about it. That just makes you look like a lunatic. And nobody likes lunatics.
>>
File: 1424937885976.jpg (109 KB, 616x513) Image search: [Google]
1424937885976.jpg
109 KB, 616x513
Sometimes my PhD jimmies get rustled when I see people attempting to discuss philosophy like they know anything beyond a wikipedia article, but then I realize most niche interests that we're experts in are just passing fads for the people around us.
>>
>>2867930
Pffft. Nothing personal kid
>>
This is seriously worse than the 50Hz/60Hz bullshit debate.
https://youtu.be/4PavD0AqfaI
>>
>>2867921
I don't care how shitty it is and I'm not going to waste my time reading specs of something I would never buy anyways. But if someone has one and is enjoying it then whatever.
>>
File: coldsteel.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
coldsteel.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>2867937
>'personal'
>not 'personnel'
You had one job.
>>
File: make_it_stop.jpg (46 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
make_it_stop.jpg
46 KB, 400x533
>>2867940
mfw the second one starts, IDK which is which but the last one(begins at 0:58) is eardrum rape compared to the first one.
>>
>>2867950
Um, personal is correct.
>>
>>2867952
First one is a Genesis 2, second one is the AtGames clone.
>>
https://youtu.be/qUw7G5K2-Hg
In-depth review of that thing, with other sound demos.
>>
>>2867940

that does sound like shit to be quite honest.
>>
>>2867990
Um, your a faggot.
>>
>>2867990
He's referencing a meme because he's a 12 year old.
>>
I am reminded of those garbage plastic turntables sold at department stores. Brands such as Crosley and ION. Ignorant normies buy these crimes against music which sound like shit and destroy a record after 5 plays by ripping out the grooves.

It's our job as enthusiasts to decry abominations such as this fake genesis to protect consumers who don't know any better.

Otherwise corporations will make tremendous profits releasing shit and quality products will never be seen again.

All because you didn't speak out for fear of being seen as a nerd.
>>
>>2868337

Well, you make a strong point.
>>
>>2868337
Except that these won't actually damage your carts just by using them, which is your only valid point about warning people off of bad turntables. If someone doesn't care about music quality that much and wants to buy a cheap unit that's their business.
>>
>>2868413
Agreed, I'm all for clone consoles. I think they are going to increase the longevity of these machines/games if nothing else. The AtGames Genesis is particularly awful, but your standard NOAC Famiclones and SuFamclones are totally playable and reliable.
>>
>>2867943
>I don't care how shitty it is and I'm not going to waste my time reading specs of something I would never buy anyways.

It makes the Genesis sound like a NES with a single pcm channel.
>>
>>2868436
Nintendoes was Genesis don't.
>>
>>2867890
It rooks kowaii desu. But might as well emulate and plug in a logitech or china controller.
>>
>>2868454
>>2868436
>>2867943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QAue7Pq1So
>>
>>2867890
>a megadrive doesnt sound like a megadrive
I've got bad news for your mom. Her teenage kid is retarded
>>
>>2868581
Emulation is a fuckton better than this garbage, so yeah, go ahead
>>
I'm more at odds with kids playing emulators with unfiltered sound at 44khz who then go on to say the Genesis can only produce ear-grating crap.
>>
>>2869915
Bad news for you, dude. It's not a Megadrive, it's a clone.
>>
>>2869997
Figures a tard wouldn't know the difference between a clone and an official product.
>>
>>2867940
>>2867952
>>2868032
The AT games sounds awesome. It's like they remixed the music.
>>
>>2867890

Why do you care so much about what other people are doing with their lives? It's not healthy and you come off as one of those faggots that calls themselves a "gamer".
>>
>>2867990

Go back to reddit.
>>
>>2867990
*Whoosh*
>>
>>2867940

It's like Nightmare Shinobi or some shit... awesome.
>>
>>2870698
It is a clone, anon
>>
File: SWEET BABY JESUS.gif (865 KB, 370x281) Image search: [Google]
SWEET BABY JESUS.gif
865 KB, 370x281
>>2868594
>that green hill zone
I tell whether to shit myself or throw up.

At least it seems to play fine
>>
>>2867890
The Atari one is sexy.
>>
>>2867890
How are they not real? It says genesis on it and plays genesis games?
>>
File: lKaicvA.jpg (220 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
lKaicvA.jpg
220 KB, 3000x3000
>>2870964
>>
File: md.png (54 KB, 434x299) Image search: [Google]
md.png
54 KB, 434x299
>>2870964
What's a "Genesis"?
>>
Who's to say that this isn't the real Genesis and what you remember from your childhood was nothing more than an imitation?
>>
File: nothin personnel.jpg (51 KB, 615x630) Image search: [Google]
nothin personnel.jpg
51 KB, 615x630
>>2867990
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>2870985
>>
>>2867890

They buy it because it's easily available and comes with several games and has the novelty of being able to play original genesis cartridges.

I don't think this thing was made with collectors or gaming enthusiasts in mind.

I think the bigger question is why you give a fuck what "facebook kids" think? If some people buy that thing and manage to have fun with it, then good for them.

I swear people on this site sperg out over the dumbest shit sometimes.
>>
>>2870924
It's only a clone in your made up tard language. I'm not saying it's good. I'm not saying it doesn't sound like shit. I'm just saying it's an official product not a clone. No amount of fantasizing you can do will change that fact.
>>
File: 1444990062224.png (152 KB, 359x414) Image search: [Google]
1444990062224.png
152 KB, 359x414
>>2871006
>system-on-a-chip imitation of original hardware
>not a clone
>>
File: blah blah blah blah.jpg (203 KB, 626x970) Image search: [Google]
blah blah blah blah.jpg
203 KB, 626x970
>>2871006
>I'm just saying it's an official product not a clone
Okay.

>Is it made by Sega?
>Does it use real Sega Mega Drive hardware, instead of System-on-a-Chip imitation and emulation?
>Is it published by Sega?
>Is it an actual Sega Mega Drive model? To answer this question, refer to these lists: https://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_consoles

Answer to everything is "No", thus, it's a clone.
>>
>>2871032
>https://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_consoles

That's cool and all, but it's not an official list from Sega.
>>
>>2871041
Good luck getting a list from Sega for all possible Mega Drive models.
This is a collection of every possible known Sega Mega Drive models.
>>
>>2867940
>>2868594
Jesus fuck, I never thought it was that bad.
You can't defend this shit.
>>
>>2871102
Yet people here happily do so, in the name of "fun", when it actually is a scam. This board is odd.
>>
File: 1417600298116.jpg (2 MB, 3200x3000) Image search: [Google]
1417600298116.jpg
2 MB, 3200x3000
>>2867890

Serious question, pls no bully: Why is it so difficult to emulate the sound on a Genesis?

Sega themselves couldn't even do it on the Smashpack for the Dreamcast.
>>
>>2871385

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+is+it+so+difficult+to+emulate+the+sound+on+a+Genesis%3F
>>
>>2871385
There are many different variations of the Megadrive/Genesis, an a lot of them sound different from one another. Not surprisingly, an emulator that tries to do a simple emulation of the YM2612 and the PSG will likely not emulate all of the little quirks in the sound circuitry that each variant has.
>>
>>2871385
here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_modulation_synthesis
>>
>>2868594
The Green Hill Zone theme actually sounds kinda cool.
>>
>>2871032
You're really playing the tard card hard there.
Something isn't a clone just because it's not "made by" a specific company. If it was your iphone would be a clone.
It uses real megadrive hardware because it's a real megadrive. Your proof that it doesn't is "i said it''s not real"
That list specifically says it's not a definitive list and doesn't cover a whole slew of things. If anything it proves you wrong. Top kek.
>>
>>2871401
>It uses real megadrive hardware because it's a real megadrive.

Now you're the retarded one.
>>
>>2867890
>Giving a shit about facebook kid
Better emulating than payin for a cheap clone
>>
>>2871401
This MUST be bait.
>>
>>2871401
Nice circular argument, but your postulate is false - it's not Megadrive to begin with. Also the Megadrive isn't based on a random ARM chip.
>>
>>2867930
What'd you do your thesis on?

Trying to have philosophical arguments on 4chan sucks. I've been called retarded multiple times before for copying arguments straight from the SEP.
>>
>>2867940
>Sega Genesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1MNqfKsyYk
>ATGames Classic Genesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAChq41MUHU
>>
>Wander into a RiteAid
>Everything is over %50 off
>Grab AtGames Genesis clone for under $30
>Games sound like shit
>This thing isn't even scart
>Notice symbol on box shows JP Mega Drive cart
>Plays JP games flawlessly
>Paid less than $30 for a Sega Honey Bee
>>
>>2871686
>Plays JP games flawlessly
Is the sound still shit? I'm sure a region mod costs less than $5 in parts.
>>
>>2871686
$30? That's way too much. I got one for $10 about two years ago. And yes it's shit.
>>
>>2867890
>So many Facebook kids think now it's how a Megadrive sounds like.

Most kids don't even know Sega used to make consoles and those that do just emulate them. These clone consoles are traps for people that have very little knowledge of retro games yet knows someone who is into them so they pick this up as a gift since it's easy to find at most stores that sell electronics and they don't know any better.
>>
It's for the casual consumer that doesn't know any better.

/thread
>>
File: 11-ear-bleeding.jpg (12 KB, 188x165) Image search: [Google]
11-ear-bleeding.jpg
12 KB, 188x165
>2008
>browsing a local retro game shop I never noticed before
>see a thing called GN Twin
>bought it out of curiosity since it was cheap and never heard of clone consoles before
>put Sonic 2 into it to test it out
>realize how horrible of a mistake I made the moment I grabbed the first ring
>>
>>2871434
Actually I pointed out your circular argument. You claim it's not a megadrive to begin with but until you prove that it doesn't support the argument that it's not real megadrive hardware. Once again, you can fantasize that your personal definitions are valid in the real world but it just don't make it so.
>is it a device called a megadrive
>is it real
>is it made of hardware
It's pretty simple to reason it out once you get over your personal hatred of it. I'm sorry you're mad your grandma bough you one not knowing it's different than the original model. I'm even more sorry you think this means words don't mean what 99% of the world agree they do. Because that's a little bit of a medical problem.
>>
>go on Facebook
>see friend from high school
>"just got a retron 5, amazing piece of machinery. Does anybody have any old Nintendo or Sega games lying around? I would happily take them off your hands."
>people commenting about how cool that is and that they want to get one too

I'm hoping that in a few months when he gets tired of it he'll be willing to sell me whatever carts he managed to find for mad cheap
>>
>>2872283
By your reasoning, the Coleco Chameleon is a Colecovision as well then?
>>
>>2872406
No because it's a new console from the same company. That's like saying the Sega Saturn is also a Sega Genesis. Don't really wanna stick my head in this debate but defining whether or not something like the atgames Genesis is actually another model of the console is a horrible thing to attempt doing since you're pretty much only going to be arguing semantics. Even when Sega was officially releasing the Genesis each model had vastly different hardware hence why the sound quality is all over the place between them, so you're pretty much just fighting over the line between a new hardware revision vs a brand new console that functions to play the same exact games.
>>
>>2872515
wat
>>
>>2872524
The Genesis originally had three models with different hardware between them including different hardware with revisions of each model. Arguing something like whether or not the Atgames Genesis is a clone console or just a new model would require you to define just how much has to change in order for it to be a clone console which is why debating it is a bad idea.
>>
It's an AtGames clone, not designed and build by Sega. No Sega 315-xxxx chips inside. What else is there to say? It's as much of a Genesis, as a Dendy is to Nintendo.
And in comparison, the Dendy is actually a great thing.
>>
>>2872546
>No Sega 315-xxxx chips inside. What else is there to say?

The Radica Genesis mini has no 315-xxxx chips, just an epoxy blob, yet it contains the full hardware inside.
>>
>>2871385
Sheer incompetence, that's it.
>>
>>2872535
Yeah but even Genesis model 3 (the only actual clone from the original line) imitated the original hardware with certain respect. AtGames clones are emulating in SOFTWARE there is no original anything.
>>
>>2872515
>Even when Sega was officially releasing the Genesis each model had vastly different hardware hence why the sound quality is all over the place between them

nah, it was just the sound amps (not the sound chip) and video encoder (not the graphics chip itself) that was different among the models and it didn't start becoming a problem until around the time that the model 2's came out.
>>
>>2872597
Fuck off.
>>
>>2872616
Yeah, that would what's similar to a Dendy actually. And, surprise, it works fine enough, compared to the AtGames junk.
>>
>>2872406
I'm not sure how retarded you have to be to get "Coleco Chameleon" is a "Colecovision" from that. You've exceeded my expectation..in you being retarded.
>>
>>2873031
It's your very argument, anon. It says "Coleco" on the box, so it's an official product as well.
Also, using "retarded" in a sentence automatically voids your argument.
>>
>>2872597
Ah. there you are! I was wondering when your autistic ass would show up in this thread.
>>
>>2872639
>Yeah but even Genesis model 3 (the only actual clone from the original line) imitated the original hardware with certain respect.

The genesis 3 had a die shrink of the original hardware. Said die shrink was also used on later genesis 2 consoles.

It isn't a clone in any way, unless you also consider the gameboy pocket or ps2 slim to be clones as well.
>>
>>2873121
>it says sony on the box it must be a walkman
>i mean ps1
>i mean TV
>i mean...
Seek help
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.