[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are you supposed to keep cartridges from becoming discolored?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0119_zps5xurphzj.jpg (90 KB, 355x267) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0119_zps5xurphzj.jpg
90 KB, 355x267
How are you supposed to keep cartridges from becoming discolored? I tried Retr0brite, but either I didn't mix it up correctly, or it didn't work.

I've always insisted on buying only cartridges that are in flawless condition, but later down the line, they become discolored anyway. How did the previous owners prevent that from happening to begin with? I don't keep my games exposed to direct sunlight, and it's not particularly hot where I live. In fact, I keep most of my carts tucked away in plastic storage cases, which are then placed in a dark container. Still, I can pull a game out several months later and it will be a few shades browner.
>>
>>2866565
Oxidation, my friend. Oxygen causes all kinds of havoc in everything, causing minor compositional changes. In this case, the plastic gets discolored and slightly more brittle.
>>
Retr0brite works in my experience, though I guess results can vary. Beyond storing them in a box and not in the sun and whatnot I don't know what else you can do beyond occasional RB treatments.
>>
>I've always insisted on buying only cartridges that are in flawless condition

I can understand this mentality if you want a complete collection for a console or your planning on reselling, but honestly I don't really get it if you just wanna play the game. As long as the cartridge is functional, why should it matter if it's a little discolored, or the label has a rip in it or there's stickers/marker on it? If it works, it works. Also maybe I'm weird but I kinda like having carts with someone's name or a sticker from a long since closed video rental store, it's kinda cool being able to see a little bit of the cart's history.
>>
File: index.jpg (10 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10 KB, 194x259
>>2866565
Accept the inevitable fate us all and despair.
>>
>>2866565
>I've always insisted on buying only cartridges that are in flawless condition, but later down the line, they become discolored anyway. How did the previous owners prevent that from happening to begin with?

Have you considered giving up smoking?
>>
>>2867605
That or giving away his dog.
>>
>>2867605

I've never smoked, nor do I know anyone who does. I can't think of anything in my environment that would accelerate the discoloration process.

From what I gather, it's usually caused by exposure to heat or direct sunlight, which I try to avoid by keeping my cartridges locked away in a dark container.

>>2867343
>As long as the cartridge is functional, why should it matter

OCDness, I guess. As ridiculous as it sounds, this causes me physical anxiety, then I just end up selling off my games and resorting to emulation.
>>
As a rule of thumb, chemical reactions double in speed for every 10 degree C temperature rise. If you store them at -10oC they will age at 1/8th the rate compared to 20oC.

But note that freezing will probably destroy batteries.
>>
>>2867879
what?
>>
>>2866565
Stop using retrobrite. It accelerates oxidization. Spray the abs plastic with hair spray and let it dry. Any similar clear coat chemical will also work.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.