[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Video Game History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: console2.png (655 KB, 1585x523) Image search: [Google]
console2.png
655 KB, 1585x523
I'm slowly working on becoming an amateur video game historian. Especially for the cartridge era of the North American market. What does VG know about the video game industry?
Newest thing I learned was that Sega almost merged with Namco in the mid to late 90s because both companies we dragging so much ass.
>>
>I'm slowly working on becoming an amateur video game historian.
So basically a nerd with wikipedia.
>>
>>2866431
Books mostly thank you. Wikipedia is only good for general time lines.
Better a nerd with a passion then an asshole who makes fun of others.
>>
>>2866441
>a piece of shit is better than a piece of crap
>>
>>2866448
Whatever you say there chief. Hope your having a fun life in your parents basement.
>>
hmm this could be a fun topic, i've been meaning to document hardware i have via pictures and layouts. As I have every version of the Sega Genesis and PC Engine/TG16
>>
>>2866441
>Books mostly thank you

The problem with a lot of books and magazines written about retro games is that their research level usually does not extent beyond Wikipedia. Often it's just a reworded regurgitation.

If you want to take it seriously, make sure you question absolutely everything, and try to track down the original sources.
>>
>>2866452
Jesus Christ the projection. Just learn actual history you shitter
>>
>>2866456
I completely agree, the sega books I have been reading lately are mostly from interviews and public records.
>>
>>2866457
I do that too, currently reading a book on the history of Minnesota. So please, take ur crap comments elsewhere.
>>
>>2866430
Nobody likes or respects a historian, and the same is true of people who play games. If you combine those two you've managed to doubly fuck your life up. Just imagine >>>/v/ and >>>/his/ being merged. That's how badly you've fucked up.

I suppose the rest of us will be able to say "at least we're not you", so thanks for that.
>>
>>2866470
I'm totally down with that, I don't need validation of my hobbies, if u don't want to participate the why comment and join the conversation.
>>
>>2866430
oh Jesus here comes another GameSack,another AgrySomeone or HappySomeone with partial knowledge about the subject that people will take for granted.
>>
>>2866496
Learn to read, I wanted to have a discussion about the industry, talk to people. Not sell something or promote anything.
>>
>>2866518
sure whatever you say
>>
File: wut.gif (2 MB, 250x343) Image search: [Google]
wut.gif
2 MB, 250x343
>>2866470
>Nobody likes or respects a historian

This comment makes no sense whatsoever. I'm sort of an oldfag and in all my life, I've never heard anyone suggest a thing such as this.

Did I just take some bait? *shrugs*
>>
OP sounds rather ignorant for a historian. Looks to me like you're just trying to justify spending all your money on retro gaming by calling it something else. Be enthusiastic about your hobby, that's fine... but please don't come up with dumb titles for yourself.
>>
>>2866441
>Books
For the most part that's a terrible source of information. Books about video game history are written by amateur video game historians who learned everything they know from reading books written by amateur video game historians. You'll just end up filling your head with a bunch of retarded maymays.
The only way you'll end up being anything other than another misinformed fool is to talk to people who were involved at the time, maybe read some period media, and fact check the fuck out of everything.
>>
>>2867303
Semi-related. I had this book and while an interesting read and quite humorous at times, it also had a lot of factual errors and half truths.
>>
>>2866430
>Newest thing I learned was that Sega almost merged with Namco in the mid to late 90s because both companies we dragging so much ass.

That was Bandai, not Namco. Namco and Sega were the greatest of rivals in the mid 90s, and they were both at their best at the time.

Bandai had a merger with Sega in the cards around 1997 I think, but then the Tamagotchi and digimons became a huge hit and Bandai bailed out.

Some time later, Namco and Bandai did merge though.
>>
>>2867303
>For the most part that's a terrible source of information. Books about video game history are written by amateur video game historians who learned everything they know from reading books written by amateur video game historians. You'll just end up filling your head with a bunch of retarded maymays

Good example being the video game crash. A lot of accounts of that oversimplify everything and tend to repeat the same stale memes about E.T. cartridge landfills and whatnot.
>>
>>2866430
Sega blew it and simultaneously made nothing worthwhile during its 'golden age'
>>
>>2867318
>tend to repeat the same stale memes about E.T. cartridge landfills and whatnot.

That's because a lot of amateurs have a tendency to want to simply history down to a few bullet points (i.e. E.T. single handedly *triggered* the gaming crash). Of course, actual history is always a lot more complicated than that.
>>
File: error.jpg (23 KB, 338x500) Image search: [Google]
error.jpg
23 KB, 338x500
>>2867303
With the sole exception being I am Error; Platform Studies by MIT Press.

Excellent reading, but very dense for a video game book.
>>
>>2867323
>>2867318
Also a lot of people don't quite realize that the video game crash combined with a massive collapse of the personal computer market in North America since the two things were very closely intertwined.
>>
>>2867325
I had put some info about the personal computer market in the Wikipedia page on the video game crash but some butthurt editor removed it because he insisted that wasn't relevant to the article even though it actually was.
>>
>>2867325
no, E.T. did it a YouTuber told me
>>
>>2866430
>I'm slowly working on becoming an amateur video game historian

why bother

its been done to death

just play the games anon
>>
>>2867336
>Wikipedia
kek
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.