[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games you could not figure out what to do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10
Couldn't tell you how many times I booted this game up thinking I'd get somewhere, but never could. It was fun, but I could never progress.
>>
Any console port of Syndicate, I couldn't adapt to the controls at all.
>>
>>2866294
The missions are all clearly outlined at the terminal. It tells you where to go and what to do when you get there.

It would have been a much more playable game if you could access the map from anywhere though instead of having to go back to the terminal every time
>>
File: Legacy of the Wizard (U).jpg (14 KB, 200x275) Image search: [Google]
Legacy of the Wizard (U).jpg
14 KB, 200x275
No in-game maps
No in-game tips
No tips or maps in local gaming magazines (I'm an eurofag and LotW was never released here)
No instruction manual
No internets to look for FAQs when I got this game
No fucking clue on where you are supposed to go or what you are supposed to do in the first place
Random exploration only
FINAL DESTINATION

Has anyone beaten this motherfucker legitimately without any kind of help I sure didn't...
Finally I dare anyone thinking the first Zelda game is cryptic or impossible to beat without guides to try this game out.
>>
Any strategy game, I don't know how to do anything but attack enemy units. And about Alien 3 is the SNES too diferent from Genesis/SMS/GG versions? At least in the latter games I believe the objective is only rescue the guys tied and find the exit
>>
I remember being stuck in the SNES version of sea quest dsv after renting it once but I was just a dumb kid
>>
>>2866308
jaguar port played pretty good, due to the keypad
>>
>>2866294
Getting past the first level was never that hard for me, but I could never get any other levels done in the time limit.
>>
>>2866294
the Gameboy version was even worse
>>
>>2866389
That would probably make sense then.

Y'know, I'm not opposed to the idea of a numpad on a gamepad, it can probably be made a billion times less clunky than on the Jaguar too. Like maybe it can be on a hinged plate that flips out or something, I don't know.
I mean, with a numeric pad you could have effective typing like on a phone, among many other things

How is it to emulate Jag games anyway? Can you do it with a Dualshock clone and then assign the numerics to the numpad on your keyboard? Or would that be clumsy?
>>
File: 37915-Alien_3_(USA__Europe)-3.jpg (124 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
37915-Alien_3_(USA__Europe)-3.jpg
124 KB, 640x448
So the question is, which was better? Genesis version with its straightforward action gameplay, or SNES with its prettier and more atmospheric take on things?
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (68 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
68 KB, 475x347
I remember taking this game back to the rental store because I got stuck on some level.
>>
>>2866742
There you go.
https://youtu.be/zE7G5p_7q9g?t=1m37s
>>
>>2866770
Ah yes, bottom of the barrel e-celebs, the final word on all retro games. I sure do like watching two idiots who can't act or write worth a damn tell me what opinion I should have rather than having a discussion here with people who have played both games. Thanks anon!
>>
>>2866742

If the game were zoomed out and the radar was better it could be an awesome title, it sucks having almost no time to react at every step in the game
>>
File: top100_snesgames_shadowrun.jpg (225 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
top100_snesgames_shadowrun.jpg
225 KB, 640x360
I have never heard from anyone who got through this game without a walkthrough.
>>
>>2866365
GOAT music.
>>
>>2866912
It's an incredibly cool and interesting game, but it is indeed very flawed.
>>
>>2866912

The Genesis version was doable without a walkthrough but you still needed ABBACAB[/spoiler[.
>>
Castlevania II is the obvious example.The properly translated version is fine though.
>>
File: Shodan_system_shock_1.jpg (12 KB, 251x235) Image search: [Google]
Shodan_system_shock_1.jpg
12 KB, 251x235
System Shock is my favorite game of all time now but I was confused as hell my first playthrough
>Controls right out of a helicopter flight simulator and no mouselook
>The groves
>The reactor destruct code
>>
File: megaman-x6.jpg (33 KB, 300x293) Image search: [Google]
megaman-x6.jpg
33 KB, 300x293
It was my first Mega Man. Between the nightmare mechanics, the unforgiving stage design that almost demanded abusing i-frames, Nightmare Mother, alternate areas, and all of the rest of the game's bullshit this was the one game as a kid I couldn't even remotely understand how to beat
>>
As a kid this one really got to me
>>
>>2867535
That game is pretty much the equivalent of telling your younger sibling how to play a video game step by step without them letting you actually play it.

>Ok now go left… no, your other left… ok now look over there see that thing? No, that thing right there. THE THING RIGHT THERE! Fuck it just let me do it ok? Ugh fine, whatever, just go left.
>>
Both Dragon Ball Super Gokuden games.
To this day, I have beaten neither and I don't know how or when I will.
I can't figure out how battles work.
The last time I tried, I got to Yamcha who then repeatedly kicked my ass.
Probably the only time in his life to feel superior to Goku at full strength.
>>
>>2867421
>version
Pardon my autism for a bit, but when you say version it almost implies like when it's the same game but on a different console, like True Lies, same game on both Genny and SNES.
The 16 bit Shadowrun games are completely different from each other and I wouldn't call them versions.

I'm sorry for my spergout.
>>
>>2866742
I had nightmares of the Genesis version. In particular, the level intro and 'time out' sequences.
>>
>>2866383
Weird game, but better than the GB version.
>>
>>2866509
The GB version is a survival horror adventure game. Requires a lot of patient exploring and searching in order to progress. There's no other GB game like it as far as I can tell. Too bad it's kind of short.
>>
>>2866294

That Matt Furniss soundtrack, tho'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6qJno5R0tI
>>
Actraiser on Jap import was a challenge. The action sequences were also way harder than the UK version.
>>
File: 1402246676-folder.jpg (177 KB, 519x373) Image search: [Google]
1402246676-folder.jpg
177 KB, 519x373
Imagine Zelda without a save system. Not even passwords.
>>
File: addams family values.jpg (26 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
addams family values.jpg
26 KB, 475x347
>>2871350
Okay, what now?
>>
>>2866365
>Has anyone beaten this motherfucker legitimately without any kind of help?

I did, though not as a kid (and I had the instruction manual, which has some useful information.) I only got through the game later when I could emulate it, so I didn't have to deal with the awful passwords anymore. I constantly lost progress due to password errors.

It's actually one of my favorite games on the system. The dungeon is huge and navigating it successfully takes some thought.

>>2866382
>And about Alien 3 is the SNES too diferent from Genesis/SMS/GG versions?

Yeah, they're different games. The SNES version has more complex objectives.

>>2866912
Somehow, I never would have guessed that the proper way to open what appear to be thick stone doors is to somehow pry them open with a scalpel.
>>
>>2871350
I was so close to beating that game many years ago...then it fucking froze on me. Never played it again. I might eventually, though, it bothers me that I never finished it. It's not a bad game.
>>
>>2866294
Very few games ever got the better of me as a kid. However turok 2 the lair of the blind ones was something I never figured out. Not because of gameplay difficulty but rather the level was just too huge and maze like for me. Never figured out how
To get through the bastard. My memory card got corrupted so I replayed the game, got there again and again got lost. Memory card ducked up again and I said fuck it.

For reference I 100%d both Goldeneye and perfect dark, beat all those good old doom and doom-like fps's on pc at around the same age, but never got through lotbo. Maybe if the card didn't get corrupted twice and I liked the game more I would've bothered but eh it never happened
>>
>>2866294
Very few games ever got the better of me as a kid. However turok 2 the lair of the blind ones was something I never figured out. Not because of gameplay difficulty but rather the level was just too huge and maze like for me. Never figured out how
To get through the bastard. My memory card got corrupted so I replayed the game, got there again and again got lost. Memory card ducked up again and I said fuck it.

For reference I 100%d both Goldeneye and perfect dark, beat all those good old doom and doom-like fps's on pc at around the same age, but never got through lotbo. Maybe if the card didn't get corrupted twice and I liked the game more I would've bothered but eh it never happened
>>
>>2866294
Reminds me of La-Mulana, I love that game and I never have any idea of how to advance. It's a fun experience, I like whittling away a bit at a time.
>>
>>2866912
I did, as a kid. The IIGS version which might be the best.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.