[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese for imports
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 4L_QgCtMIih.jpg (108 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
4L_QgCtMIih.jpg
108 KB, 800x600
Anyone else tried this, or know if it's even worth? I've memorized hiragana k-n but for some reason it's taking me more than a week to remember the other half? Any tips or methods?
>>
why the fuck do you need text for a soccer and a fighting game?
>>
>>2866253
Just picked em off of google bud
>>
>buy imports
>buy eprom programmer
>swap chips, shells, labels
>sell as repros
>find hipsters
profit
>>
The less you delay it the better.
Writting the letters down several dozen times seems like a practical way to drill them, the rest is using the knowledge to read stuff to get used to them.
Personally I consider Katakana more important to learn than Hiragana. Hiragana is often combine with Kanji while Katakana very is useful on its own since it's used for loan words and foreign names.
Even if you never progress beyond Kana the Katakana will often come handy.
>>
You need flashcards, there's roughly 650 billion phone apps that do this.

Games can be useful for immersion learning but you need to be able to read at least a little first. If you can't even read kana then you're not going to get any use.
>>
>>2866475
There's old games that use Romaji. No worse than kana only games.
But unless you're already familiar with spoken Japanese it won't change much since you lack the vocabulary.
>>
>>2866362
>paying for roms
>2017
>>
>>2866362
At that point why even buy the import unless it was insanely cheap with shipping. To make a repro you just need a game that uses the same board.
>>
>>2866540
>To make a repro you just need a game that uses the same board.
good luck buying cheap us carts for games that use special chips
>>
The reason why I learned japanese was to play games. It took me some years, but I was lazy as hell with my learning. If you really get down to it, in one to two years you'll be able to grasp most of what is going on in most games.
>>
>>2866247
Is this a new meme or something? We've had 5 of these incredibly stupid threads in the past week alone.
>>
>>2869162
Nothing stupid about wanting to expand your horizons, even if your main reason is for playing video games. There's basically no downside to studying a new language, even the most ancient or little-used can provide insights in some way or another.

As for you OP, kana is a good start but you must keep going. Drill the hiragana and the katakana until you get them down pat, and then start on grammar and kanji. Both are important to work on, I'm starting that myself, learned the days of the week the other day. It's hard but fun, and rewarding when you start reading subtitles or something and realize that you can recognize some characters, words, grammar structure, etc. When you get tired and want to give up, take a break and remember that feeling of realization, and get back to it when you're re-energized. As long as you keep walking forward, at whatever pace, you will reach the summit one day.
>>
>>2869162
The last ones were about learning the language to buy cheaper games which is a stupid reason. But this only vaguely mentions imports
>>
I fully support learning Japanese for gaming, hell people used to learn Latin to read shit in it's native language so this is no worse, also Japanese literature is fantastic.

Just realize that it will legitimately be work. You will have to actively put effort into learning vocab, kanji, conjugations, particles, honorific levels, slang, dialectic differences, and regional humor, among other things, in order to fully comprehend what you're reading.

It's no light task, you'll be at it for years. Consider studying your hobby now, and not a chore.
>>
>>2871572
>also Japanese literature is fantastic
right, that's why the world is filled with the translated works of internationally best selling japanese novelists
>>
>>2871572
I learned Latin in school.
It was useful to understanding grammar in general and have a basis for various other languages but by itself I never really got to use it and therefore forgot a lot of it. The key to learning a language it to deal with that language and Latin suffers from being virtually unused beyond classic texts. It's a lot easier to get Japanese videos, texts on diverse topics, games etc.

There's no absolute end to learning a language. I've been dealing with English for 25 years now and still encounter new words and phrases. It even happens with your mother tongue.
>>
OP here just learned kana, now kanji is left... How hard will it be to learn in comparison to kana?
>>
>>2871810
There is no comparison.
>>
>>2871810
Learning kanji is what will make or break you. They mean things on their own, they can be combined to form new words, and some have to be combined with kana and conjugated. Around 6000 are needed to achieve newspaper-tier fluency.
>>
>>2869242
>and rewarding when you start reading subtitles or something and realize that you can recognize some characters, words, grammar structure, etc.

This is so true. I was in awe when after learning japanese for 6 month I launched a recent Super Robot Wars game and realised that I can read some basic kanji, hiragana and even understand a sentence once in a while.
There are very few things in this world that can compare to being able to nderstand another language.
>>
>>2871810
it will take a considerable amount of effort, but keep in there. I'd advise to start learning some basic kanji immediately after learning kana, anyhow. Flash cards can be useful. Try to learn how to write at least the basic ones as it will give you a basic idea of kanji structure and you'll learn stroke orders and such so you can write them into a smartphone or so when you don't know their meaning or how to read them.

although for more advanced kanji I've indefinitely post-poned learning how to write them myself... it's a lot easier to just learn how to read them...

after a while you'll almost be better off learning compound words rather than just the kanji by themselves, they'll stick better that way. but for the first 100-200 kanji you're probably better off learning them on their own too.
>>
>>2871984
I still remember the first time I encountered Katakana in the wild after learning them. The mystic カラオケ suddenly got a banal meaning.
Kanji was a longer process but I suddenly got a deeper understanding of the vocabulary I had already acquired in years of watching anime and drama. My first studying material were two untranslated fanbooks I kept for years. Every once in a while I'd re-read them and find another word I could now comprehend.
>>
OP, again . I'm receiving Pokemon gen 2 in Japanese this week, any way I could include these games in my studies?
>>
>>2872068
Don't post erotic anime out of nowhere.
>>
>>2872068
>Kyouryuu Boukenki Jura Tripper
intriguing
>>
some games like bomberman require next to no kanji, so when you're starting out, these are good to learn. the controls are in basic Japanese so it's a good way to start overall. guessing Kirby also had limited kanji and difficult grammar.

Next, there's basic conversational dialogue, which may use kanji, but they're so commonly used you'd better at least be able to recognize them. Saturn and PlayStation titles often have voice over which can help you recognize kanji readings.
Lots of material will just be this, regardless of difficulty, outside of period-themed games which may or may not use archaic stuff as well as
keigo honorific language etc.

generally, rpgs and plot driven games will have more advanced dialogue, but only vns will require comprehension for advancement.

until you learn the basic 500-100 jouyou kanji you'll typically be looking up something up every so often in a children's game. Towards 2000 this will be much less frequent, although in anything text heavy for teens and up you'll be using a dictionary occasionally.
>>
File: feels_516771_4069365.jpg (37 KB, 550x453) Image search: [Google]
feels_516771_4069365.jpg
37 KB, 550x453
The devastating thing about learning Japanese this late is that by the time you'll finally be able to read at a comfortable pace you'll be well into your 40s.
>>
>>2872168
Whatevs, most of the text-necessary games will be slow-paced RPGs suitable for my old man reflexes.
>>
>>2872087
Not really. Kana only games may seem appealing to beginners but practically they're awkward.
Better get something like the SFC Dragon Quest games.
>>
>>2872192
I'll second this opinion. Kanji-less games are a trap. I'll also vouch for the SFC Dragon Quest games as they do use kanji but quite sparsely and relatively basic (with the occasional sorta difficult one though).
>>
>>2872217
Well fuck, I already splurged on Pokemon from the looks of it I could've saved money by buying sfc dragon 1 and 2 on Gbc
>>
File: 1022300763.png (16 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1022300763.png
16 KB, 640x400
>>2872147
Took me too long to needed some time to remember what I did with retro games.
I went through screenshots of games I had played without knowing Japanese.
>>
>>2872168
So? You say that like it's a negative. Still gives me like 40 years to enjoy Jaypee games.
>>
>>2872295
what is she saying?
>>
>>2872247
Not retro, but if you have a DS flash card the Black/White pokemon games allow you to switch between kanji and no kanji. Although you have to go through the menus and such so you cannot do it in the middle of a conversation, unfortunately.
>>
>>2871671
Uh, what? Murakami is one of the most successful novelists of the past few decades, and there's Mishima, Kawabata, Akutagawa et al for more "serious" literature. You're clueless.
>>
>>2873336
Something about not winning.

Is she in fighting game or RPG?
>>
Bought a japanese copy of yoshis island a few days ago. Trying to play it on my retrobit trio but nothings happening, it's supposed to play games from any region. Any ideas guys?
>>
>>2874741
Try cleaning the contacts with white vinegar and a q-tip (or rubbing alcohol, but apparently that causes corrosion over time).
>>
>>2874784
Thanks
>>
>>2874784
Vinegar causes corrosion, rubbing alcohol does not.
>>
>>2873336
"Don't think this means you've won!"
>>
>>2872068
fuck off with your pedoshit
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.