[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Fox 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
I played it the other night and thought it was amazing. Much better than the first one but sucks this game was never released. What do you think of this game?
>>
>>2865803
I forgot this existed, I really wanna play it now.
>>
Two thumbs up
>>
>>2865803
I really wish Nintendo would either put it on the eshop or even better reskin and put it on 3DS like starfox 64
>>
>>2865803
…Ive seen this exact game at my local video game shop for like $80.
>>
>>2865863
good deal, buy it before it disappears
>>
>>2865823
There are intractable licensing issues around the Super FX chip games, so getting them on the eShop doesn't look like a possibility. That's why you see things like the GBA version of Yoshi's Island there (which didn't have the chip) instead of the SNES version.

>>2865863
They only thing you could've seen was a bootleg reproduction cart with the leaked ROM on it.
>>
I knew it was leaked and sort of infamous, but since I'm not a gigantic Star Fox fan I never knew that the game was so playable/complete. It's interesting that they've never even tried to do anything with it. Even an unlockable extra in another game or something.
>>
does it run better than the first game?
>>
>>2865803
I love it. Overall SF64 is still my favorite, but I'm really glad we're able to play this game.

According to a recent interview there's an even more complete build that was made, but hasn't been leaked. I'm curious as to what that would entail. On the whole the build that's out there now feels very much "complete." I can't imagine what might be missing, except perhaps the Versus mode that was present in earlier versions of the game.
>>
>>2865803
Still hoping the actual finished version gets leaked so I don't have to play some patched up early version
>>
>>2865803
The cute rabbit and cheetah things would have been a better addition to the series than the furbait blue fox.
>>
>>2866153
How are there licensing issues?
>>
>>2869496
The superfx wasn't made by Nintendo.
>>
>>2867513

>rabbit and cheetah

It's a dog and a lynx you blind as a bat motherfucker
>>
One of my go-to's when emulating. Incredible framerate (compared to the first), superior music, more characters. All it needs is a versus mode.

Ya juss canned beaded.
>>
>>2866397

It runs MUCH better, the framerate is much improved over the borderline slideshow pace of the first game and the graphics are better with more textures and cool effects.

Star Fox 2 is basically the best showcase the SuperFX chip could ask for, it actually plays like a fun, functional 3D game and not a tech demo. Part of me thinks it was cancelled so the N64's 3D offerings had more wow factor but I suppose we'll never know.
>>
>>2870254
>so the N64's 3D offerings had more wow factor
that's precisely why.
>>
>>2870274

The mech sections of Star Fox 2 are practically in complete 3D ala Mario 64, I can see why they wouldn't want that shit on their last-gen console. If you believe some rumours Mario 64 itself was inspired by a 3D platformer tech demo Argonaut showed Miyamoto (which later became Croc.)
>>
>>2870334
Croc doesn't control nearly as well as Mario 64 though.
>>
>>2865803
It's interesting but a bit shallow. It runs better than the first, but I think the first is less repetitive.
>>
>>2870274
yep, it's actually been said on record in a few places that Nintendo canceled it because they felt it could be used by Sony (or even Sega) to make Nintendo's 3D offerings look like crap compared to theirs.
>>
>>2870334
There's no fucking way the croc dude isn't bullshitting that.
>>
>>2865803
I haven't played this in ages but it's way better than the first.
Who the fuck made the hare brained decision to not release this again? I know the N64 was right around the corner but come on son
>>
File: PeppySF2.gif (16 KB, 185x158) Image search: [Google]
PeppySF2.gif
16 KB, 185x158
>>2871139
>hare brained decision
>>
>>2865803

I just got done playing and this and I am still completely in awe. I think my mouth was open the entire time I played this game.

I had no idea such a game was possible on the SNES, even with the Super FX chip. The 3D graphics look better than a lot of low quality N64 games! And it runs so smoothly, with the grace and polish that is typical for Nintendo. They should really release the finished version on Virtual Console at least.
>>
>>2865803
Love it. Normal is way too easy though, and Hard is almost too easy.
and then Expert still eludes me, haven't beaten the game on it yet

>>2866450
The version that's there is pretty damn late. I remember reading somewhere that the game did get a little bit more development before being cancelled though.

>>2865823
part of me thinks that it'd be too much effort for them to search the unfinished codebase for any major bugs and then translate everything themselves (they can't use the fan-patch that's out there, obviously)

>>2870631
>repetitive
That's probably the biggest issue with 2.
>>
>>2866153
>>2869520
source? gotta call bullshit on this one. nintendo are some of the biggest jews in the industry; no way they'd pay to 'just' license technology. they wouldn't even pay for mpeg2/dvd playback. no way they're not going to own the rights to a co-processor they used. even sony doesn't have any right to stop nintendo from emulating the soundchip they designed for snes.
>>
>>2873116
You can literally just google "super fx chip licensing" and read about the issues over and over again.
>>
>>2873116
You're a fucking asshat.
>>
>>2870334
>>2870971
Well I know that I've read that the Croc guy initially tried to shop the game to Nintendo as a Yoshi platformer but they passed on it so he just reskinned it.
>>
>>2873241
>>The Super FX chips were designed by a third-party company, and there are legal issues that prevent them from re-releasing SNES games that utilized them.
>
>I have seen this claim all over the place, but not one person has provided an authoritative source to back it up. Yes, the Super FX and Super FX 2 chips were designed by a third-party company. Argonaut Games, to be precise. The company is now defunct, it's dead. They disappeared in 2004.

oh look at that, I did just what you said and it turns out the designers of the chip aren't even in business anymore. so I will say it once again, nintendo does NOT license technology without owning a copy of the rights. nintendo does not fuck themselves like microsoft did with the original xbox. and even if what you said was true, they would have realized the error of their ways and bought the rights when the company folded.

>>2873243
aww~ your ass must be really sore, having been called on your bullshit.
>>
>>2873771
>http://www.wiiuonly.com/2012/08/nintendo-myths-that-need-to-die-virtual.html
I see you conveniently left out how this goes on and on about Yoshi's Island, citing its chipless GBA rerelease as supposed proof that Nintendo could easily put other Super FX chip games on the eShop if it really wanted to. It just proves that the author doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
Definitely a sweet game. Too bad the latest version never got leaked, but I'll take the version that was leaked any day. In fact I have the repro I like it so much. This is definitely a great showcase for the SNES.
>>
>>2870121
>implying you know about any of the characters besides Falco
>>
I need to get a Stunt Race FX cartridge so I can play the Starfox2 rom on my Super UFO cart.
>>
>>2873116

The reason they didn't purchase the DVD technology is because they'd be supporting their biggest competitor by doing so. I don't see how that's them being "Jews" (nice use of a juvenile, stupid stereotype, by the way)
>>
>>2873771

Why the fuck would owning a license to the chip have anything to do with them releasing a version on a modern console? I don't think the Wii U requires the SuperFX chip to play it...
>>
File: 5tq6W.jpg (23 KB, 519x282) Image search: [Google]
5tq6W.jpg
23 KB, 519x282
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oejMmIxso8
>>
>>2873116

Nigga they don't even own the rights to the original Donkey Kong lmfao
>>
>>2877789
They don't own the rights to virtually any of their original arcade games since most of them were programmed by outsourced companies. I still don't quite understand how Rare managed to get the arcade Donkey Kong into DK64 from a legal standpoint. Heard something about how it's basically a remake done from scratch, kind of like Taxman's Sonic ports.
>>
Starufokkusu starufokkusu desu
>>
>>2874330
I was wondering the same thing
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.