[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never finished final fantasy 4, and I'd really like to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 400x240
I never finished final fantasy 4, and I'd really like to play it. What should I know about which roms to use? I've heard the original SNES translation was really bad but I only ever played it on the PS1 in 2000 or something so I don't know firsthand how much they differ.
>>
whatever you do don't play the original american realease because it's easy mode
>>
>>2865658
SNES with namingway hack or the DS version. PS1 version if you can deal with load times.
>>
>>2865658
GBA version, you get a decent translation with a nice graphical update without the shoddy 3D of the DS version or the terrible "updated style" of the PSP version. Music in IV was technically not that complex for the system so it transfers over to the GBA just fine, but a music patch exists if it bothers you.
>>
IV DS has the best version of the core game experience due to its massive rebalancing. Augments are cool too but are designed more for veteran players. The voice acting is surprisingly nice and the art style is good if you're a fan of simple 3D.

The PSP remake has a mixed-reception sequel, but IV has always been a low tier FF game in my eyes.
>>
File: zeromus2.png (26 KB, 256x220) Image search: [Google]
zeromus2.png
26 KB, 256x220
I would recommend the translated Super Famicom ROM, or the PS1 / FF Chronicles version, which is more or less the same thing. The "Namingway Edition" hack that keeps getting mentioned makes a lot of questionable gameplay changes and messes with the original balance, so I don't recommend it. I assume you are wanting to experience the original game as it was intended to be played, after all.

The GBA version is hideously ugly, full of bugs and has a hack job of a translation. There's a lot of post-game content that tosses gameplay balance right out the window, although you don't get to access that content until later on.

The PSP version looks nice on the surface, but later into the game you start to notice how mismatched and poorly upscaled some of the graphics are. And it's on par with the GBA translation.

The DS version seems like a nice idea in theory, but there are so many gameplay changes that it's like playing a different game entirely. And the translation is once again borked.

The oft-ignored WSC version is actually a pretty nice enhanced port, but hasn't been translated by any parties. Not really worth mentioning unless you understand Japanese.
>>
>>2865658
Namingway Edition for best translation/restoration you're getting.

Some swear by PSP and DS, but I'm not necessarily a fan of most of the added content.

>>2866078
>recs the Super Famicom ROM translation that censors itself accidentally
>calls other translations hackjobs
>>
>>2866078
You do realize that the fan translators of the Japanese version even admit that it's a piece of shit, right?
>>
>>2865658
I'd go snes, for the graphics. psp version is rather ugly
>>
>>2866324

I never said J2e's translation was good. The bigger picture here is that other versions of the game make too many arbitrary and undesirable changes, translation quality aside. And I'm guessing OP wants a faithful-to-the-original gameplay experience. In that case, I think either the Super Famicom version or the PS1 port would be his best bet. The PS1 translation actually isn't too bad, which is why I suggested it as an alternative to a translated SFC ROM.

>>2866317
>Namingway Edition for best translation/restoration you're getting.

Namingway Edition adds in lines that didn't exist in the original script, isn't accurate to the original script in whatever revisions it makes, and there are numerous changes to equipment, skillsets and other things that were altered for the author's vision of gameplay balance. Unless OP hated the original game for its difficulty or lack of content, I wouldn't recommend playing a hack.
>>
File: 2337screenshot2.png (5 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
2337screenshot2.png
5 KB, 256x224
>>2866317
>those squishy tile spell names

And some of the spell strings are STILL truncated
>>
File: ff4neseng[1].jpg (155 KB, 700x459) Image search: [Google]
ff4neseng[1].jpg
155 KB, 700x459
nes
>>
Psp
>>
Why not go for PC port? Nice graphics, proper support for both keyboard and controller, good translation, no problems with emulating things (Don't know bout you but I still have emulation problems with Xenogears. AFTER 10 YEARS OF TRYING!)

It's just but-install-play thing.
>>
>>2866663
Shitty mobile port
>>
>I want a version that works mechanically as well as the devs intended

PSX, PSP, SFC

>I want a version that I can curbstomp in a weekend because it's bugged that way

SNES, GBA, SFC EZ-Type

>I want something more up to speed with modern games

DS

>I am stupid and trust zealous fans to know better than the devs regarding game balance and need an entirely literal transliteration

J2e, Namingway

>OH WHO CARES JUST PICK ONE FOR ME

PSP
>>
>>2866665
>Shitty mobile port
Is there anything else about your mother that you wish to tell us?

Because contrary to popular belief calling something shitty does not make it so.

I fail to see how source of the port does affect it quality. It plays well, it has not removed any significant content, it does not prevent me from enjoying the game in any way.
>>
>>2866665
And the original was a shitty DS game, is that want you want me to say?

It's a hackjob of a port that they put no effort into, but if you want the 3D version of FFIV, it's the best choice. It even comes with the After Years content if you want to give that a shot.
>>
>>2866689
After Years' DS-style version is a separate charge.

Honestly the only good mobile jobs were DQ relatedoutside of possibly V
>>
>>2866605
>extensive job system with out of combat crafting jobs like cook and carpenter
>AIRSHIP JOB CLASS
>buyable airships armed with nuclear weapons
>NPCs with agency that can buy their own airships
>releasing doves to blind enemies and praying to make them die
This sounds so much better than the IV we got, in fact it would be the best Final Fantasy ever.

And even if it's a joke article it makes some surprisingly accurate predictions, like in-dungeon save points and Giga Flare

>>2866684
Isn't the PC version a port of the DS version that alters the gameplay heavily? Probably not the best option if you want a purist experience.
>>
>>2866705
PC is a port of mobile, which is a port of DS with only one limit break and the WiFi events turned off (even though it has always online DRM).

So it's a port of a port of DS.
>>
>>2866675
Accurate and concise
>>
>>2866584
Actually it was Project II that altered the lines, which Namingway is based on. According to the author of that hack, it used a lot notes from Tomato, the guy from Legends of Localization.

Namingway reverted a lot of the changes that make it different than FFIV, including the battle buffs. The battle commands for some bosses, including Zeromus were reverted back to Japanese FFIV, where Project II kept the difficulty like US FFII. The original FFIV maps and tiles were also reverted.

The squish tiles are annoying, probably that hack's biggest negative. I'm curious when the hacking community will figure out a way to extend spell, item, and monster names for SNES FFIV. I think as it stands right now its probably the best we have for the original FFIV.
The J2E translation is garbage, even admitted by the translators. I hated the DS version and the PSP version is an aquired taste. I'd vote for playing the PSP version for the modern experience but Namingway for SNES.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.