[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RTS games general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: Starcraft Portada.jpg (57 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Starcraft Portada.jpg
57 KB, 500x375
RTS games all the best rts games seem to fit into retro now so lets have a thread on it. Starcraft, Red Alert 2, Warcraft 2, Dune 2000, Settlers iii, AOE 1/2 and more.
>>
>>2864378
Dark Reign
Total Annihilation
Seven Kingdoms
Warlords Battlecry
>>
>>2864378
Starcraft & Brood War are once again getting reworked into their open source remake Stargus. With added editing capabilities and game enhancements, this could perhaps make the game attractive not only for online playing with friends, but also for new and more complex fan campaigns.
>>
File: screen01.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
screen01.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
>>2865153
Stargus in action. Now with proper keyboard shortcuts and building health bars.
>>
>>2865176
They're still working on this? Fucking A. Brood War was the bomb sauce but SC II sucked donkey balls. That said, I liked some of SC II's features like being able to queue build orders for structures.
>>
File: 4579140393_1642f0d4b6_z.jpg (271 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
4579140393_1642f0d4b6_z.jpg
271 KB, 640x480
5th for empire earth.
>>
File: REAPER ONLINE.jpg (44 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
REAPER ONLINE.jpg
44 KB, 900x506
>>2864378
This was one of my first RTS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSJ-qet6AT0

I can still hear that old "REAPER ONLINE" voice clip. Every day. As vividly as the first time.

...Because I set it as my computer startup sound.
>>
Is it wrong to play StarCraft for the singleplayer? I'd play online, but I'd get my ass kicked by people who have been playing for nearly 2 decades, you know?
>>
TA > your favorite RTS
>>
>>2865061
I would also add Seven Kingdoms II: The Fryhtan Wars to that. Greater over the first one.
>>
File: pc-49528-21357551491.jpg (278 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pc-49528-21357551491.jpg
278 KB, 640x480
remember this?
>>
>>2865848
I didn't recognize it, but after checking, I did indeed play some KKND Xtreme back in middle school. Don't really remember much about it, though.
>>
>>2865852
I remember playing it in Computer Camp back in 1997 (it all devolved into one big LAN party after the miniscule educational part)
Was really fun and all in multiplayer, but when I got the game for myself I never could get it to work until much much later.
And then it turned out the singleplayer campaigns were way too hard for my casual RTS skills
>>
File: profound-sadness.png (120 KB, 265x341) Image search: [Google]
profound-sadness.png
120 KB, 265x341
>>2864378
>tfw this fantastic mod got deleted from ModDB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C6m98FkLK4
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VxcqB428so
>>
>>2865187
The repo has been reactivated a few weeks ago. They are in the proccess of synching it with the latest version of stratagus, or so it seems. Wargus is currently fully functional, and it's a joy to play at max resolution. Stargus would be the next amazing thing to have
>>
>>2865187
Have you tried the brood war remake on SCII engine? Mass Recall, is it called, and it looks quite decent.
>>
>>2865061
I haven't played any of those.
>>
Anyone ever play this? It was interesting in that you didn't really control your units directly (except military units, and combat was a very subdued aspect of the game). Instead if you have stuff set up, it would happen. Like if there were trees, your lumberjacks would go cut them down. Then if you had lumber, a carpenter's workshop and a carpenter, he'd turn them into boards. As society advanced, you would have to provide more luxury goods to your people, and later campaign missions got really difficult because of this. Some of the stuff they'd ask for could only be acquired by trade, and later missions usually devolved into "complete objectives before society collapses on itself". All in all a very comfy, slow-paced game. Great music too.
>>
File: 657924boxart_160w.jpg (10 KB, 160x179) Image search: [Google]
657924boxart_160w.jpg
10 KB, 160x179
>>2865983
Forgot pic like some kind of assfaggot
>>
>>2864378
I'll be playing Sudden Strike 2 mods this new year's eve. Im happy but pathetic.
>>
File: z.jpg (194 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
z.jpg
194 KB, 1280x800
The most underrated by far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_j1MlzjiZo
>>
>>2866005
Z was a fantastic game. I never had an English version so didn't understand some things but it was lots of fun. I should go back and try it again.

>>2865986
Is that game like settlers? Can you post a screenshot
>>
>>2866017
>Is that game like settlers?

kind of.

http://www.gog.com/game/the_nations_gold_edition

torrents of gog version are plenty
>>
>>2865647
I really loved that you could actually take direct control of your units and it didnt feel as stupid as in Dungeon Keeper.
The mining also felt really comfy for some reason.
Too bad the AI was terrible, i dont remember having any challenge as i was a kid, so i mostly was just playing around by myself, eventually wiping out the enemy when if elt like it.
>>
>>2866034
Yeah, basically all you had to do was spam a shit tonne of units at them. A common issue in RTS single player though.

The black hole truck was rad but OP.
>>
Anyone every play Cultures? Wondering if it's worth a go. I like the slow paced comfy rts style.
>>
>>2865763
I used to get my ass kicked by the CPU all the time in skirmishes, so no, it's not wrong.
>>
>>2865763
The best thing about starcraft IS singleplayer
>>
>>2868670
Wait what? Multiplayer is what makes it. Starcraft single play isn't that interesting.
>>
>>2865201
empire earth was amazing in many ways, but the ai was absolutely atrocious, completely killed my ability to have fun
>>
>>2864378
Rise of nations?
>>
>>2865848
Played the first one a while ago in Dosbox. Still alot of fun.
>>
>>2869620
You're on /vr/, anon.

Starcraft Brood War didn't get the patch that made it what it is today until 2001 so you're shit out of luck.
/vr/ Brood War is a great experience all around and there is no real big difference between the SP and MP.
>>
>>2869653
Rise of Nations is 2004 IIRC.
>>
>>2869705
I cant even remember anyone

Ever play Real War rouge states?
>>
>tfw the best RTS ever is 1 year off being /vr/
>>
How is Myth/2?

It got pretty decent praise back then but I've never really played the game myself.
>>
>>2869723
That looks awesome. Google is returning images of what look like HUGE battles, how do you control everything?
>>
>>2869965
Just drag and click mostly, units are disposable (you can produce hundreds of them in the matter of minutes) and there isn't much micro. You can also unite large groups of units into one squad/army by assigning officers and drummers to them and make them assume different formations that, aside from bestowing minor bonuses, also matter tactically (artillery can hit friendly units, cover matters, units that collide with enemies automatically engage them in melee instead of just passing through them etc.)
>>
>>2869723
I bought that game off of GOG recently. Bretty gud so far, took a while to get used too though. I'm eagerly awaiting Cossacks 3.

Honestly, I think this game should be considered /vr/, it's only a year off.
>>
>>2869723
>>2869978
>>2870387
I also loved the Entente. It's off the same engine but is WW1. It got shit reviews but I find it enjoyable if you want all out carnage.
>>
>>2865176
Is this still being developed? Some how I can't see people ever using this much.
>>
I honestly think aoe3 is the best rts for multiplayer, anyone else play it?

14 unique factions, huge amount of depth in the card/home city feature, nice graphics/physics/sounds and good balance of being fast paced but also allowing for long, epic games.

I didn't enjoy it at first, felt too unfamiliar as an aoe game, but with the two expansions I love it and am addicted...only problem is the shitty multiplayer servers...

Nothing like alternating between games of aoe3 and aom all night:)
>>
>>2865763
No, it's absolutely fine. I've been playing since SC came out and I enjoy single player the most. Nice and comfy. I can't deal with the stress of ladder, I'm just not into the competition that much.
>>
>>2872045
Yes, it is. slowly but steadily. Latest version isn't compatible with the latest windows build of stratagus, but it will get there, hopefully. Wargus is a brilliant way to play WC2 with friends, and has wonderful campaign support at this point. I'm sure Stargus won't be far behind.
>>
>>2869620
>not enjoying redneck terrans being backstabby rednecks to each other
>ignoring Tassadar's massive displays of nobility and his epic and bold speeches, also repeatedly telling Aldaris to shut up
>not enjoying Kerrigan evolving from a bratty and brash warmonger to a cunning and inteligent manipulator and politician
>missing Fenix's blood-boiling outbursts of bravado

I'm sorry buddy, but whereas Starcraft multiplayer is the crack cocaine the cool kiddies consume at raves, the single player experience is the age-old refined scotch that is to be enjoyed once or twice a year at the gentleman's club. Multiplayer is what it might have evolved into, but the original single player is what made it.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.