[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So all the good Star Wars games are no longer canon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 16
File: SWSotE_(Escape_from_Echo_Base).jpg (436 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SWSotE_(Escape_from_Echo_Base).jpg
436 KB, 1024x768
So all the good Star Wars games are no longer canon?
>>
they never really were
>>
>>2864363
who fucking cares what george said they are cannon anything made after return cinema wise DID NOT HAPPEN though i have not seen the new one yet
>>
>>2864363
You forgot to include a picture of a good Star Wars game.
>>
>>2864428
You tried, faggot. Already saw the movie. And that game is still shit.
>>
>>2864428
FUCK OFF BACK TO /b/ FAGGOT
>>
>>2864438

It's shit to you because you suck at it
>>
>>2864441
Well you're right about it being shit. Glad we agree.
>>
>>2864447

to you because you suck at it
>>
>>2864448
Nah it's a dated piece of shit with the worst controls and level design of any early 3D game ever. Sorry bro.
>>
File: ao.jpg (16 KB, 227x224) Image search: [Google]
ao.jpg
16 KB, 227x224
>>2864453

>dated
>>
>>2864459
Yep.

>Hoth battles done better in Rogue Squadron
>third person action done better in Jedi Knight 2
>story done better in Knights of the Old Republic
>>
>>2864471

not him but KOTOR has Dash's story? didn't know that
>>
>>2864370
Dark forces dealt with Thrawn, so it's in question with the EU.

KoTR 2 was never ever able to be put in canon though.
>>
>>2864363
Canon is stupid anyway. To argue which ones "really happened" is silly because it's all fiction, none of it ever happened. And canon is a flimsy thing. In 30 years maybe they'll re-institute them as canon again, who knows. If you want to pretend they're canon then just do, you don't need Lucas' approval.
>>
>canon
>Star Wars

Hahahahahahahaha
>>
>>2864363
I'm really curious where Shadows of the Empire stands in this since it was such a big thing and handled as being an official piece of the story.
>>
>>2864973
Same here. I'm suprised SotE is no longer canon, considering it was such a big event upon launch, deftly from LucasFilm.
>>
>>2864363
Only because of fucking Disney. Kyle Katarn will always be the most badass Star Wars character in my heart.
>>
>>2864363
Publishers do not get to decide what is and is not canon. That is purely the domain of the writers.
>>
File: cannon.jpg (1 MB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
cannon.jpg
1 MB, 1200x900
>>2864402
>cannon
>>
File: Evil.jpg (82 KB, 992x951) Image search: [Google]
Evil.jpg
82 KB, 992x951
>>2864363
>Anakin, the games aren't canon
>From my point of view the movies aren't canon.
>>
>>2864973
The Outrider appears leaving Mos Eisley in one of the special editions of Episode IV, for what it's worth.
>>
>>2865146
Well of course you'd take that view, Anakin. You're a whiny little bitch in the Prequels.
>>
to be completely frank

all SW gaymes are cannon to me, i always have a blast playing them.

film episodes 4-6 are just some cool action movies with bright sword fights, never cared much about it desu, and i even "had" a light saber and pretended to be a jedi "when i was a kid".

The SW universe though is very charismatic, and i enjoyed even the lesser games.
>>
>>2864363
>canon

Who gives a shit.
>>
TFA isn't canon
>>
>>2864439
Really hope no one was spoiled by that :/
>>
>caring about canon not made by the original makers

I tend to call video game sequels not made by the same devs "official fanfictions"; but in the case of Star Wars it's even worse, it's not even the same producers anymore.
>>
>>2865805 (You)
I mean Disney made all the new Marvel Star Wars comics canon, and most of those are pretty bad, so who gives a fuck really?!
>>
>>2864363
Nope. Shouldn't stop you from enjoying them though. Also, you've got to love all the fags who think EU stuff wasn't canon. The Lucas-Era canon was a structured one, not a black-white dichotomy like it is now.
>>
>>2864487
The Old Republic games have always been handwaved as "so far back in the past it may or may not have ever happened" anyway.

>>2864363
Shadows of the Empire was garbage and the game events should have never been canon to begin with.
>>
>>2865805
I've been messing with my friend who has half a bookshelf full of starwars books and whatnot since disney deemed what was considered not canon published fanfiction and it chaps his ass.
>>
>>2865275
That game...please let it be that Disney makes a x wing alliance 2.
Pleaaaase!
>>
KOTOR is semi canon, it was referenced in the Clone Wars cartoon

by semi canon I mean Revan was referenced
>>
File: star-wars-rogue-one.jpg (63 KB, 910x546) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-rogue-one.jpg
63 KB, 910x546
>>2865063
>tfw next year there's going to be a movie about a multicultural group of rebels stealing the Death Star plans instead of Kyle Katarn who is now non-canon
>>
>>2864785
Unicorns don't exist I was told but I read about them in books and I want them to be real now even tho I am told they are not by the author.
>unicorns are now part of earth's canon.
>>
>>2865009
>>2864973
Is there any real reason for it not to be canon besides Disney wanting a clean slate?
>>
>>2864363
Not enough blacks.
>>
>>2864785
George Lucas specifically sold his shit to Disney to not have to deal with fucking nerds asking him questions like this anymore.

You think anyone busts down his door asking about American Graffiti, his favourite movie?
>>
>>2866020
>original trilogy remakes in 2035
>Luke Friedchicken is now black
>WE WUZ JEDI N SHIT
>>
>>2866010
They probably will... for cellphones.
>>
>>2866179
They probably thought the expanded universe shting was considered too confusing for new fans. If I were an oldfag I would be done with Star Wars.
>>
they had to wipe it clean because it was jumbled shit. we will see the good bits pop back up in new forms. Benicio del Thrawn?
>>
What does it even mean to have a movie "spoiled?" Someone gave away the ending? Boo hoo! You watch a movie for the experience and story telling, nobody cares about you having some personal revelation about the plot the first time you see the movie.
>>
>>2864363
This game was only made so people could play the AT-AT battle in a video game, the rest was filler.
>>
>>2867424
>You watch a movie for the experience

You're kinda contradicting yourself. Part of the experience, at least the first experience, is absorbing the storytelling in the order that the creator(s) intended. Foreshadowing, suspense, mysteries, and so on are all hinged on the belief that the reader doesn't yet know exactly what is going to happen. That's part of the fun.
>>
>>2864363
An AT-ST?!
>>
>>2864363

At this point, does it really matter?

I like the Star Wars franchise as much as the next guy, but the last good Star Wars movie was The Empire Strikes Back. The Return of the Jedi was the beginning of the end as far as taking the franchise seriously. It became too much of a cash cow, so now you have the original trilogy, the Shadows of the Empire, the expanded universe, the prequel trilogy, the Old Republic, and the new trilogy and spin-off movies. There are too many cooks in the kitchen and have been for a while now.

Just enjoy what you like and ignore the rest.
>>
>>2864363
try playing shadows again, it's aged very badly
>>
>>2870247
>games age meme
>>
>>2870232
couldn't agree more
>>
File: 1448542630445.png (287 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
1448542630445.png
287 KB, 400x301
>never bothered with EU crap because I always thought it was fucking retarded and didn't care about the further adventures of background characters or the apparent 100 different events that take place in between the movies
>the delicious butthurt that will ring for years because NOT CANON

It makes me laugh that people will complain about something being non-canon. How does it detract from the quality of the product?
I still like Dark Forces 2 and KOTOR1/2 despite all of it.
>>
>>2864785

I agree. Canonical arguments in fiction seem to strike me as meaningless. They're all just stories to enjoy, don't worry about their claimed validity in other fiction.
>>
File: 1450811546837.png (3 MB, 1908x4870) Image search: [Google]
1450811546837.png
3 MB, 1908x4870
>>2864363

Yup, but they're all apart of Star Wars Legendsâ„¢ now.
>>
>>2870257
Why are you posting a picture of Duke Nukem and a shirtless Random Hajile?
>>
File: Laserdisclogo.jpg (20 KB, 364x400) Image search: [Google]
Laserdisclogo.jpg
20 KB, 364x400
>>2870395
>The Blu Ray's are the Canon versions of the movies
My ass they are. Nobody asked for fucking Hayden Christensen as a Jedi ghost.
>>
>>2870417

I know, right?

The bulk of what I like about Star Wars is apart of Star Wars Legendsâ„¢, so I don't really care about what's canon at this point. But I understand why the Lucasfilm Story Group makes the distinction because there're undoubtably contradictions out the wazoo among all Star Wars products.
>>
I have a fool proof trick to enjoying Star wars even with all this cannon drama

get a vhsget the original trilogywatch it
move on and live a normal life

amazingly simple!
>>
File: lightsaber knees.jpg (178 KB, 483x516) Image search: [Google]
lightsaber knees.jpg
178 KB, 483x516
>>2864363
To be fair what were they supposed to do, sift through the absolute mountain of shit that was the EU just to pick out the few halfway decent ideas? Going through every single video game, comic book, novelization, etc etc and individually try to pick the good stuff would probably be a waste of time.

>>2865854
>Shadows of the Empire was garbage

Bad opinions itt
>>
>>2870417

Do you want to know what's worse?

It is rumored Hayden Christensen is going to have a cameo as Vader's ghost in Rouge 9. As much as we hate it, there's the little problem of both Alec Guiness and Sebastian Shaw being very dead.
>>
>>2864363
>>2864421
>>2864973
>>2865178
>>2865854
>>2870395

Well, good news everyone (sort of). disney recently made the Outrider 100% canon (I'm guessing because of A New Hope) AND both Dash Rendar and Leebo get refferenced by name in a Disney Infinity game, so it seems to be at least HIM is somewhat canon.

For the events of Shadows of the Empire... well, the novel is labeled Legacy, so dunno.
>>
>>2870395
>the 2003 cartoon isn't canon
aw man
>>
>>2871298
>Rouge 9

Rogue One is set before Vader's death so how could he appear as a force ghost you retard
>>
SW Expanded Universe is mostly shit and shouldn't be canon anyway.

From my point of view only the original trilogy is canon :^)
>>
>>2864487
All the old EU and Thrawn doesn't exist anymore. Which isn't necessarily bad in my mind. I liked the Zahn series, but after that stuff started getting pretty goofy.
>>
>>2870446
>>2871298
Hayden Christensen's Jedi ghost was the stroke that broke the camel's back for me. I can forgive Greedo shooting first and CGI Jabba, as bad as those changes were, but I draw the line there. It shits on Darth Vader's entire death scene and redemption in ROTJ and Lucas' explanation for replacing Sebastian Shaw makes no sense, considering Hayden Christensen was nothing more than a whiny bitch in the prequels. They might as well had used Jake Lloyd's head for that matter.
>>
>>2866020
Are they really trying to be multicultural with that cast?

I don't see any fucking Mon Calamari, Twi'lek or Polis Massans in there. I feel triggered.
>>
>>2871607
It's funny that didn't bother me anywhere near as much as Greedo. Swapping the ghosts was lame but doesn't really change anything. The Greedo scene not only looks idiotic because Han flickers out of the way, but also changes how his character is developed. That's way worse to me than a young ghost.

I don't accept the special editions in general though. The digital re-release cleaned up matte lines and the few things like that so it's pretty well perfect to me. I just pretend the SE series doesn't exist.
>>
>>2871615
>It's funny that didn't bother me anywhere near as much as Greedo. Swapping the ghosts was lame but doesn't really change anything. The Greedo scene not only looks idiotic because Han flickers out of the way, but also changes how his character is developed. That's way worse to me than a young ghost.
Hayden Christensen just looks too much like a random young prick in that scene and doesn't embody the same fatherly presence that Sebastian Shaw had. Plus, I refuse to acknowledge the prequels as canon. Darth Vader's backstory sounds way more interesting when you imagined it in your head.

>I don't accept the special editions in general though. The digital re-release cleaned up matte lines and the few things like that so it's pretty well perfect to me. I just pretend the SE series doesn't exist.
Did they finally release the unaltered original trilogy? Or are you talking about those "Despecialized" fan-edits?
>>
>>2871619
>Hayden Christensen just looks too much like a random young prick in that scene and doesn't embody the same fatherly presence that Sebastian Shaw had.

I totally agree with this and feel similarly about the prequels. It's just that as bad as swapping Christensen in was, I think what happens in the Greedo scene is so much worse.

>Did they finally release the unaltered original trilogy?

Before the special editions came out they released a set of digital remasters where all they did was fix a few things like the matte lines around the Rancor, the see-through snow speeder cockpits and the scene in New Hope where they forgot to color Vader's lightsaber. That's the version I watch now.
>>
>>2871627
>Before the special editions came out they released a set of digital remasters where all they did was fix a few things like the matte lines around the Rancor, the see-through snow speeder cockpits and the scene in New Hope where they forgot to color Vader's lightsaber. That's the version I watch now.
Ah, you mean those home video versions that had the faces on the covers?
>>
>>2871639
Yeah, the image quality isn't amazing (though I did make good rips of them cause fuck watching VHS anymore) but everything else is just how I like it.
>>
Let's talk about star wars vidya

anyone managed to get Mysteries of the Sith to run on windows 10?
>>
File: IG88.jpg (517 KB, 800x711) Image search: [Google]
IG88.jpg
517 KB, 800x711
>>
>>2871747
I got Dark Forces 1 to run in a Windows 3.1 virtual machine but there was no music and it froze when I clicked to start mission 2. So I just bought it off GoG and it works great. They also have Mysteries of the Sith.
>>
>>2871827
My mistake, I think it was a Windows 98 VM.
>>
Film universe separate from video game universe (separate from novel, comic, cartoon etc)

It's like you guys never saw the Superman movies
>>
>>2871827
>I got Dark Forces 1 to run in a Windows 3.1 virtual machine but there was no music and it froze when I clicked to start mission 2. So I just bought it off GoG and it works great.

You're an uncommon kind of retard. Or maybe you just need to be educated about old games and systems. Whatever it is, I'm glad I'm not you.
>>
File: sote vs bounty hunter.jpg (689 KB, 1048x906) Image search: [Google]
sote vs bounty hunter.jpg
689 KB, 1048x906
Shadows of the Empire vs Star War Bounty Hunter. Which one is better?
>>
>>2871747

Sadly I've stayed on windows 7 for this exact reason.

Also goddamn is the control scheme for Jedi Knight retarded, took me forever to realize that each axis had it's own sensitivity for some insane reason.
>>
>>2871846
Tell him how to fix it then.

You wont because you don't know how to. Stay salty.
>>
Dark Forces runs great in dosbox.
>>
>>2872016

Is there any reason to play Dark Forces? I've found that it's pretty shitty compared to other games in the series.

Maybe it's just my nostalgia goggles with how much I love Jedi Knight.
>>
>>2872030
Not him but it's the best star wars FPS I think. I imagine most new players are going to find it outdated though.
>>
>>2871964

Eh. Both have their problems. Bounty Hunter undoubtably has better gameplay, but Shadows of the Empire has more charm.
>>
>>2872030
I just started playing it, it's basically a Star Wars-themed Doom. It's fun if you like Doom-like games.

>Maybe it's just my nostalgia goggles with how much I love Jedi Knight.
You mean Dark Forces 2? Or Outcast and its sequel.
>>
>>2871609
this
>>
>>2871304

A lot of the novel sucks. Way too much focus on Xizor being an insufferable shitbag and way too focus on Leia being coerced into lusting after his lizard dick. The parts with everyone else is gold, though; Vader in particular. It's a mixed bag.

What always struck me as odd is the novel describes the Outrider significantly different compared to every other piece of SotE media. It's much closer to Padme's Yacht than a Corellian YT-anything.
>>
File: stupid sexy xizor.jpg (265 KB, 700x1042) Image search: [Google]
stupid sexy xizor.jpg
265 KB, 700x1042
>>2872362
>>
>>2872016
Just a thought, what did GoG provide you in order to play the game?

Maybe an actual DOS emulator with all of its sound hardware properly supported and just the right XMS memory the game needs? Instead of using virtual machines which weren't ever thought as a way to play DOS games.
>>
>>2872153
>it's basically a Star Wars-themed Doom

No it's not. At least, not past the first level it isn't.
>>
File: Rowsdower-Zap-Rowsdower.jpg (75 KB, 595x992) Image search: [Google]
Rowsdower-Zap-Rowsdower.jpg
75 KB, 595x992
>>2867375
>I were an oldfag I would be done with Star Wars
You basically just described me. All my star wars shit goes in the trash or on ebay.
I'm filling the gap with Doctor Who and MST3K, but sadly neither of those have vidya (Or any DECENT vidya). At least Doctor Who has a kick ass pinball machine.
>>
>>2871827
You could have just used dosbox, which is basically what both the steam and gog versions do, I used it with the original CD though
>>
>>2871289
Play it again objectively. The only good levels are the first one, the third one (where you're in the rail shooter, I think), and the end.

Otherwise it's a clunky, hard mess. Boba Fetts battle is crazy hard as you have to aim (which can't lock on which would make the battle 100x easier), control you and your floaty ass jetpack and keep an eye on him.

It would have been much better as a clone of Dark Forces with the jet pack of Duke Nukem 3D.
>>
>>2871607
How did Lucas explain it?

In my eyes, it doesn't make sense because Luke would never recognize that version of Vader because he's never seen him before, and also because Vader was very evil when he still looked like that. It makes his redemption back to the light side completely pointless.
>>
>>2871846
Shut up, aspie.

>>2871827
You don't need Windows to run Dark Forces; it's a DOS game. The simplest way to play it is just to use DosBox.

Or you could install FreeDOS in a VM. Although you still probably won't be able to get sound or music, because you won't have the right kind of audio hardware (DosBox emulates a Soundblaster card).
>>
>>2873703
I bought Dark Forces for like 69 cents on steam a while ago? Works fine.
>>
>>2873001
IIRC, it was something along the lines of "the ghosts represent them when their force powers were at their highest point" or some bullshit like that.
>>
>>2873707
That's cuz it runs in Dosbox. :)
>>
>>2873707
other guys right. you paid 69 cents for a free emulator and an iso, and none of that money goes to the original creators.
>>
>>2872979
>>2873703
Holy shit, I think I tried using DosBox to run Windows 3.1 to run Dark Forces, instead of just running Dark Forces through DosBox.
>>
>>2865854
>The Old Republic games have always been handwaved as "so far back in the past it may or may not have ever happened" anyway.
To be fair, that's exactly what they're thinking of doing now too.
>>
>>2871645
>>2871639
There's the DVD versions with the unaltered editions.
I suggest you download them, just google "Star Wars DVD unaltered", it's on The Pirate Bay.
>>
>>2873936
If it happened so long ago that it's considered almost mythic by the current Star Wars continuity, then how come literally everything about them is exactly the same as Star Wars? The weapons, the races, the technology, the Light Side/Dark Side dichotomy, it's indistinguishable from what's currently happening. You expect me to believe that nothing changed in 20000 years? Fuck, there's differences just going from Return of the Jedi to Force Awakens.
>>
>>2873968
Because they have to be similar enough for fans to not feel in an alien environment. But still far enough back not to influence the movies.
Honestly I just consider KOTOR and Tales of the Jedi a separate series from the rest of Star Wars.
>>
>>2873945
Those DVDs are actually pretty shitty. They're letterboxed without anamorphic support. Basically cheap Laserdisc transfers.

The Despecialized Editions are the only way to get the Original Trilogy in a proper widescreen resolution.
>>
>>2873983
You wanted the OT unaltered, didn't you?
This is how they're in cinemas, anything else is literal rape.
>>
REPUBLIC COMMANDO IS CANON BECAUSE YOU SEE CHARACTERS FROM IT IN THE CLONE WARS TV SERIES WHICH IS ONE OF THE ONLY THINGS THAT'S STILL CANON.
>>
>>2873994
>Implying the Star Wars movies were shown in theaters at 480i with black bars in the bottom and side of the screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXifjbxZDAM
>>
File: Smitty, George, Kat Annoyed.jpg (20 KB, 329x264) Image search: [Google]
Smitty, George, Kat Annoyed.jpg
20 KB, 329x264
>>2870395
>The only thing that's canon is shit that makes the EU look well written by comparison

Star Wars is a miasma in franchise form.
>>
>>2873968
Yeah, it's pretty dumb. Reminds me of how the starship fighter craft seem more advanced in the prequels than in the original trilogy.
>>
>>2874012

Just watched his version of ANH tonight. It was displayed on an old projector that couldn't display at its proper resolution, but that just obscured some of the crazier compositioning/rotoscoping he ended up having to do. It's a hell of a thing. Neat to watch. I do actually like some of the additions to the SEs, but it's neat to see it this way again, at least until Disney pays Fox and Lucas enough dosh to do their own professional restoration.
>>
>>2864370
>>2864402
Shadows of the Empire was always canon. Prince Xizor even appeared in the stands in Ep 1. Talking about the book here. 25th anniversary. Leia got that bounty hunter getup at the end for Jedi.
>>
>>2873983
>>2873945
Wait so there are no official DVDs with the original versions? The special editions don't have an option to watch the original versions?
>>
What Star Wars games are great, as in,can be enjoyed by people who dont care about Star Wars because they are just great videogames?
>>
>>2875553
The X-Wing games if you like flight simulators.
Dark Forces if you like Doom-likes.
>>
>>2874257
No, the novels were ruled non canonical by Disney.
>>
>>2874257
>Prince Xizor even appeared in the stands in Ep 1

ET appears in the prequels too. R2D2 is space debris in Jar Jar's 2009 Star Trek. Does that make it canon?
>>
>>2874236
>I do actually like some of the additions to the SEs

Still no clue why they originally cut out the scene with Luke reuniting with Biggs. I understand the opening scene with him for pacing tho.
>>
>>2875541
Those DVDs have the unaltered version.
It just look like shit.
>>
>>2875667
Like, shittier than VHS? Or as shitty?
>>
>>2875678
Like "Fuck this shit just burn Yify-tier LaserDisc rips to DVD" ugly.
It's not horrible but just a cheap cash-in.
>>
>>2875559
Just bought Dark Forces on PSN. Hoping it'll be good never had the chance to play it.
>>
>>2867369
Op here...no, please, a real game. No cellphone, no touchscreen shit. Just brutal space sim where you get butchered if you don't play well.
>>
Dash Rendar's ship appears in A New Hope so Shadow's of the Empire is canon.

Don't really see how that's important though.
The prequel trilogy is canon so that's not really a mark of quality or anything.

Also most of the expanded universe is just as bad or even worse.
>>
>>2876518
No, Dash Rendar's ship appearing in the movies means Dash Rendar's ship is canon. That's it. It's been explained multiple times now that none of the video games are canon.
>>
>>2864363
Not /vr/ i know

But were the sequels to rogue squadron any good? I love the n64 one
>>
>>2876570
Yeah, both sequels are good and they are even better in some ways. Flying and shooting feels a lot better, it's hard to describe. The enemy ships blow apart in cool ways and they are graphically very impressive.

The first gamecube sequel, Rogue Leader, is the shortest game in the series but most people like that one. The second sequel, Rebel Strike, has "on foot" sections during some of the missions which no one really likes. I don't remember it being any more than a small part of some missions though.
>>
File: Anal.jpg (6 KB, 350x251) Image search: [Google]
Anal.jpg
6 KB, 350x251
>>
>>2875608
It's really just pacing. It also contrasted with the immediately previous, other cut scene of Luke meeting his "friends" at the local hangout who treat him like shit. Honestly, the iconic 'twin sunset w/The Force theme' scene does a way better job of establishing Luke's situation with much less.

>>2876570
Rogue Leader is GOTYAY-tier and is arguably one of the best looking games on the console, which is absurd considering it was a fucking Launch title. Rebel Strike has the pointless fucking on-foot missions that do nothing but break up the flow and feel terrible. Factor 5 had no idea how to do on-foot combat. The mission selection may or may not be as tight as RL's; I must admit I find it really hard to get into. The on-foot shit is that bad. The game's saving grace is the entirety of RL's campaign in 2-player mode. Good shit and just as fun.
>>
>>2865146
>Kyle Katarn is not canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyJNEZPm-pQ
>>
>>2876570
>>2876625
Rebel Strike also has a co-op version of Rouge Leader built in. They were some of my favorite games on the GC
>>
>>2870395
>Battlefront has a book
>it's bad enough the game is canon, but the book is canon too
for fuck sakes
>>
>>2873716
Then they should have replaced Obi-Wan's ghost too, because he clearly lost his touch in his old age
>>
>>2865860
Yeah, those books he owns not being canon anymore totally means he can't just pick one up and read it again if he wants to. Such a shame.
>>
>>2866179
They want a clean slate for all the new fans getting into it with TFA, see children. Any old fags either don't care, because the EU really is trash for the most part, or if they do they're still gonna buy all the new shit anyway.
>>
>>2875829
>Disney buys Marvel
>every Marvel game from then on is phone only or Disney Infinity
>>
>>2871298
>there's the little problem of both Alec Guiness and Sebastian Shaw being very dead.

Didn't stop Marlon Brando playing Jor-El and tech has only gotten better since.
>>
>>2871609
Aliens don't count cause they're not real anon, lol
>>
>>2871615
>but also changes how his character is developed.

But how can kids look up to Han if he's the aggressive one instead of the guy just defending himself? Think about the children, anon.
>>
>>2871627
>the scene in New Hope where they forgot to color Vader's lightsaber.

I honestly have never heard of this before.
>>
>>2873968
>Fuck, there's differences just going from Return of the Jedi to Force Awakens.

Only differences I saw were purely aesthetic really.
>>
>>2874110
I remember the EU actually had an explanation for that but fuck if I can remember it.
>>
>>2874012
>Wah, some scenes are different colors

Whoopity fucking doo, not a damn thing wrong with the special editions. Jesus, why do people get so fucking autisitic over a kids movie?
>>
>>2877997

It's been around for a long time, but there's a short moment where Vader's saber isn't Rotoscoped at all, leaving the original 'shiny tape on spinning dowels' saber effect showing.
>>
>>2877997
>>2878061

It's as the blast doors are closing after ObiWan dies.
It was always glaring to me as a kid
>>
>>2878023
Completely missing the point: the post.
>>
dark forces always seemed cool in theory. Once I went through the effort of making it work with a modified engine of sorts (darkxl something I think) and I dropped it at the horrible second level.
>>
>>2878576
Well, it's a shame. It's a good game. The second level is confusing because they have you go through 4 sections of a level and then have to backtrack to one of them without clear indication that the switch you pressed changed that area.

Dark XL is not a completed engine (sometimes they are still working on it, but its been effectively stalled for half a decade) and the Dark Forces version in that engine is not faithful. The levels are modified, enemies are placed and behave differently and so on.
>>
>>2878602
Edit: I was thinking of the sewers level, which is the 3rd level so I'm actually not sure what you didn't like about the 2nd level.
>>
>>2878602
so how do you recommend I play it on a modern computer? Can I skip the second level without losing much?

Anyway I finished both jedi knights (dark forces 2 and outcast)
>>
>>2878607
dosbox

You don't need vertical mouse look. One problem with the original game though is that it isn't easy to remap the controls. I think there is a solution out there to do it natively, but I just use autohotkey. Map WASD to the arrow keys and Map R/F to look up/look down, it works very well.
>>
>>2878607
LASKIP is the cheat code for skipping the current level. You aren't missing any weapons by skipping the 2nd level. LAARC will also warp you to the last level, which I think will also let you play any level individually if you exit back out to the menu.
>>
Dark Forces is great, don't know what yall are smoking. The sewer level is rough sure, but as far as puzzles go it's nowhere near as obtuse as the elevator in the prison level, and that literally has a diagram painted on the wall showing you what to do. It's like some of you have never played a retro fps before, punch every switch automap every poly before you tap out.
Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.