[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bubs/ To celebrate bubsy being released on steam, here is a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: screenshot 2015-12-19 04:24:59.png (434 KB, 979x517) Image search: [Google]
screenshot 2015-12-19 04:24:59.png
434 KB, 979x517
/bubs/
To celebrate bubsy being released on steam, here is a bubsy thread. Post all your progress and strategies.
>>
Don't buy this port. It's just a wrapper running SNES9x, possibly illegally (the SNES9x license is a bit of a clusterfuck).
>>
>>2864245
it says first authorized digital release
>>
>>2864242
>/bubs/
Go back to /vg/
>>
>>2864245
But the publishers confirmed that they have the rights on those.
>>
>>2864245
Why bother with a proper port when you can, you know... not.
>>
https://twitter.com/Lord_Nightmare/status/677599372788502528
Anyone paying for this is an idiot.
>>
>>2864275
>inb4 cease & desist
>>
File: 1306701131001.jpg (100 KB, 418x455) Image search: [Google]
1306701131001.jpg
100 KB, 418x455
>paying for roms
>paying for snes9x
>paying for Bubsy
>paying for the fucking Bubsy's rom to be played in snes9x

It's so easy to ripoff people nowadays, goddamnit
>>
>>2864297
you dont have to get it from steam. Just play bubsy and enjoy t he feels
>>
>>2864245
Why not use Higan? That's standard GPL.
>>
File: Bible_Icon.png (1 KB, 84x114) Image search: [Google]
Bible_Icon.png
1 KB, 84x114
>>2864302

No thanks, I've had enough with this game when I was a kid and a few weeks ago too.
>>
livestreaming bubsy at twitch tv slash xenphor
>>
>>2864305
Does GPL mean, you can take someone`s code and sell it without asking the author?
>>
>>2864318
Yes.
>>
>>2864318
As long as you abide the limitations of the GPL, yes.
>>
>>2864320
>>2864319
If I got that right, the source must be provided. Means that anyone selling software without it, can be sued. So in theory someone could have a look at all those Steam, GoG bundles, Sega Classics, Namco Museums, Cave ports and if any code from MAME or another emu without source is in, he could sue?
>>
>>2864329
There's no reason they would have edited the source for the emulator, so there's nothing new to distribute.
>>
>>2864329
>>2864332
You mainly need to include the license.
>>
>>2864332
Doesn`t matter what they do or don`t do with the code. No source = breach of license.
>>
>>2864341
Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Communicating_and_bundling_with_non-GPL_programs
>>
>>2864341
>>2864346

Also, this clears up on how the source can be distributed. It doesn't have to come with the binaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Terms_and_conditions
>>
>>2864245
absolutely no one expected this to be an actual port, it's the dotemu neogeo collection all over again
>>
Quicky, easy, and shitty is probably about what this game deserves anyway.
>>
2015: Still playing Bubsy. Someone needs to kill themselves. In a world of great genesis games this game was a C+. Think of all the fun things you could do with your life instead of getting killed in the first level of Bubsy.
>>
>>2864258
And you expected what? Publishers saying they just copied the emulator without asking and they do not give a fuck about software licenses.

So far, none of the copyright owners confirmed the deal, quite the opposite actually.

But sure, you can keep supporting fraud and giving money to a random "entrepreneur" for a rom and an emulator that were both created by other people if that makes you feel like a real retrogamer...
>>
>>2864403
Makes you wonder whether they actually have the rights to the software they sell.
>>
>>2864340
>>2864329
>>2864320
>>2864318

snes9x is not licensed under GPLlicense
snes9x license is forbidding unauthorized commercial use of the emulator (pretty much like mame original license), which includes using it bundled with a commercial rom in an exe

So no, releasing the source or include the license text is not "enough". They need to get the copyright owners to relicense their code to them to allow commercial use under their own terms. Problem is that snes9x code had many contributors, much more than the two old chaps who initially coded the first version (which likely did not even emulated bubsy correctly and with sound), so they are either 1) blatantly lying or omitting details for obvious damage control or 2 ) ignorant about copyright/licensing issues and they did not give a fuck
>>
they should have really just used retroarch like the Retron does
>>
>>2864408
They only got licensing rights to whoever own them for Bubsy character. But I don't think owning the right on a trademarked character means you also have the rights on EVERY games released with that character. This snes ROM was published by Accolade which might own the rights on both the game and the character so it might be fine but wouldneed confirmation to be sure..

But Piko also acquired the rights of Duke Nukem 3D (courtesy of 3d realms and now GearBox) to release a modified version of the genesis rom published by Tectoy in Brazil, however it never acquired the rights on the game code to Tectoy, which likely makes the release illegal (if anyone cares).

Key point is that Piko Interactive do not care much about copyright issues and likely are ignorant of details when it comes to software licensing, they only care about communicating about themselves having acquired "rights", in order to appear as a legit company, although their "work" is verysimilar to what shaddy repro makers / resellers are doing.

http://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/copyright/959/wipo_pub_959.pdf
>>
>>2864426
>used retroarch like the Retron does

Except it never used retroarch. It uses (among other public emulators) snes9x-next though, which contains code written by one of the retroarch dev.

you can get retron last source code here, it clearly shows the framework being used is much more basic than retroarch and at least completely different
http://retron5.in/node/9

That does not mean they are clean about licenses though, snes9x-next is non-commercial and the gui source code is not available, which goes against the term of GPL lucense used by the other used emulators. But again, nobody seems to care.
>>
>>2864414
The point of discussion was using Higan instead.
>>
>>2864245
>Ignores copyright law around games because ROM piracy is a "right"
>Criticizes emulator copyright infractions as wrong when the game companies want to sell their own games

This place...
>>
Do dosbox contributers get something from GoG sales?
>>
>>2864475
No, DOSBox is strictly under a GPL license, so the way DOSBox is distributed with the games is perfectly fine.
>>
>>2864475
>>2864482

Actually, I should clarify that there's no reason to believe they are being compensated since GPL doesn't require them to be with the way DOSBox is redistributed with the games, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't.
>>
>>2864482
Don't they still contribute code?
>>
>>2864485
Not necessarily, game companies just package a configured DOSBox install to run their game, so no editing of source code is required.
>>
>>2864489
But they may find a bug and fix or at least report it.
>>
>>2864497
>emulators
>illegal
Are you fucking retarded
>>
>>2864495
Sure, as long as they didn't modify the code for the version they distributed and just filed a bug report or sent the fixed code back the DOSBox, I'm pretty either of those scenarios would satisfy the GPL requirement without releasing the source themselves.
>>
>>2864484
I see, but I find it strange to disown oneself of the created content and let others take advantage of it without having any say in it.
>>
>>2864497
Emulators are not illegal, showsome respect to software developers and go educate yourself instead of usual ignorant shitposting

>>2864465
Except it's not "their" game they are selling, they are just making profits on other people's work using current retrogaming hype
>>
>>2864510
First time encountering something free? There are licenses a lot more permissive than the GPL.
>>
wow people lets get back to bubsy shall we
>>
>SNES emulation
>not a port of the PC version
>>
>>2864509
As long as DOSbox is visibly credited and GPL license terms mentionned within the product so than buyers are informed they can ask for a copy of the program to modify it and distribute it themselves.

Problem is that releases like that could count as tivoization if it is impossible to make your own modification of it.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#Tivoization

Another problem is that bundling an emulator with a game binary could be considered as a combined work, thus mandating you to release the game source code under gpl.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#MereAggregation
>>
>>2864305
>Why not use Higan?

Probably because then the minimum specs would be a 4GHz quad core and 8GB RAM
>>
Do not support Piko Interactive.

I am no big fan of the Nolan Brothers (at all), but Piko tried to backdoor on an Indiana Jones prototype auction to pad his pockets. I seem to remember more happening with all this, but if you're interested you can look it up yourself. Go to Nintendoage forum and look around.

This is the what you're dealing with.
>>
>>2864552
That's less than the system requirements for running Steam.
>>
>>2864557
A scammer for ants?
>>
>>2864561
>>
xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>2864578
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?29873-Indiana-Jones-Greatest-Adventures-prototype-sold!/page2

Here's a thread. Take from it what you will, but I do not support people who try to backdoor a completed auction. That is just low.
>>
>>2864513
>they are just making profits on other people's work

So does literally every other company in the history of mankind you fucking commie.
>>
>>2864964
But this time there is literally no reason to buy this.
>>
>>2864606
Holy fuck what a bunch of faggots, the lot of them.

Yeah, offering someone more for the auction post sale is scummy, but the way those fags are acting on the forums makes me think they're both a bunch of fucking retards.
>>
File: bubsy.png (58 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
bubsy.png
58 KB, 512x480
Just realized that 2d Bubsy games aren't shitty Amiga ports like I always thought. They are shitty original console games.
I bought steam version, tried the games. How is running down the hills at sonic speeds into the enemies who kill you in one hit is supposed to be fun?
Fun fact: Bubsy 3d is quite a technical achievement, can you name another PS1 game running as high as 512х480 in-game?
>>2864329
Why don't provide the source? "Console Classics" who release PS1 games on Steam using PCSX (I don't know which version exactly) do it.
>>
>>2864376

more like a bridge too short
>>
Funny no one here ever complained about artists selling fan art of copyrighted characters.
>>
>>2865469
You mean self published parodies? That's a peculiarity of the Japanese copyright system.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.